• We've upgraded our forums. Please post any issues/requests in this thread.

Creative to License Technology and Patents to Intel in a $50 Million Deal

Creative Technology Ltd today announced it has entered into an agreement with Intel Corporation for Intel to license certain technology and patents from ZiiLABS Inc. Ltd, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Creative, and acquire certain engineering resources and assets related to its UK subsidiary ZiiLABS Limited (formerly known as 3DLABS Limited).

The US$50 million deal includes US$20 million to Creative for the licensing of certain technologies to Intel relating to ZiiLABS' high performance GPU technology. The second part of the deal is US$30 million to Creative for the transfer of certain engineering resources and assets in the UK subsidiary to Intel. The UK subsidiary is a design entity engaged in, primarily on behalf of ZiiLABS Inc. Ltd, the development of various silicon solutions, including the ZMS chips for Creative. The transfer of engineering resources and assets will be through the divestment of the UK subsidiary by Creative.

Show full news post

System Name Dark Silence 2
Processor Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.5 GHz (1.15V)
Motherboard MSI X99A Gaming 7
Cooling Cooler Master Nepton 120XL
Memory 32 GB DDR4 Kingston HyperX Fury 2400 MHz @ 2666 MHz 15-15-15-32 1T (1.25V)
Video Card(s) AORUS GeForce GTX 1080Ti 11GB (1950/11000 OC Mode)
Storage Samsung 850 Pro 2TB SSD (3D V-NAND)
Display(s) ASUS VG248QE 144Hz 1ms (DisplayPort)
Case Corsair Carbide 330R Titanium
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound BlasterX AE-5 + Altec Lansing MX5021 (HiFi capacitors and OPAMP upgrade)
Power Supply BeQuiet! Dark Power Pro 11 750W
Mouse Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard Cherry Stream XT Black
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit (Fall Creators Update)
I just wish Creative would stop jerking around and release a proper hardware soundcard monstrosity with proper EAX 6.0 support, 256 3D sound channels and all the goodies they offered till now (Crystalizer, Elevation Filters, MacroFX etc) that would go beyond just PC's. Software sound engines in all modern games sound so numb and bland it's ridiculous. They can have all the reverb and i don't know what else effects, but they don't sound nearly as good as anyhing from a decade ago with EAX 2.0, 3.0 or EAX 4.0 support. Just fire up games like Thief, System Shock 2, Unreal or even modern ones like Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil with full fledged EAX 5.0.

If developers are interested in releasing crappy PhysX support, i'm quite sure they'd license EAX tech again. It's just that Creative didn't even bother to market their tech to anyone. EAX 5.0 is fantastic and they just left it to rot.

System Name Hellbox 3.0(same case new guts)
Processor i7 4790K
Motherboard Asus Z97 Sabertooth Mark 1
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)AC Cuplex Kryos CPU Block/Noctua
Memory 2x8GB Corsair Vengance Pro 2400
Video Card(s) Sapphire Tri-X Fury (Unlocked to Fury X)
Storage WD Caviar Black SATA 3 1TB x2 RAID 0 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0
Display(s) ASUS MG279Q 1440 IPS 144Hz FreeSync
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic X-1050W 80+ Gold
Mouse G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard G19s
Software Win 10 Pro x64
I just wish Creative would stop jerking around and release a proper hardware soundcard monstrosity with proper EAX 6.0 support, 256 3D sound channels and all the goodies they offered till now (Crystalizer, Elevation Filters, MacroFX etc) that would go beyond just PC's. Software sound engines in all modern games sound so numb and bland it's ridiculous. They can have all the reverb and i don't know what else effects, but they don't sound nearly as good as anyhing from a decade ago with EAX 2.0, 3.0 or EAX 4.0 support. Just fire up games like Thief, System Shock 2, Unreal or even modern ones like Doom 3 Resurrection of Evil with full fledged EAX 5.0.

If developers are interested in releasing crappy PhysX support, i'm quite sure they'd license EAX tech again. It's just that Creative didn't even bother to market their tech to anyone. EAX 5.0 is fantastic and they just left it to rot.
I hold onto my PCI X-Fi Fatality Pro for just that reason. It's STILL a fantastic soundcard that has never let me down and been nothing but stellar for gaming and music. The quality of their more recent offerings gives me no reason to change. I paid a small fortune for it when it was released but it has well paid for itself.

When I initially read the headlines I was worried they were selling audio tech. I was relieved to read they are farming out the GFX tech they have.

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Phenom II X6 1100T @ 3.7 GHz - NB 3.0 GHz | Xeon E3-1290
Motherboard MSI 970 Gaming | Asus Sabertooth Z77
Cooling TRUE 120 |Deep Cool Assassin
Memory Gskill Ripjaws X - 16GB DDR3 (4x4GB)
Video Card(s) MSI 7970 Twin Frozr III BE OC - 1100/1500
Storage Crucial MX300 525GB + Multiple Mechs
Display(s) SyncMaster 2343BWX 23" 2048x1152 / Dell 1909W 19" 1440x900
Case Sunbeam Transformer Silver - frame is built like a tank
Audio Device(s) X-Fi Extreme Music | X-Fi Titanium - Bookshelf system
Power Supply Corsair TX650 v1
Software Windows XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores Xeon E3-1290 cpuz world record

Windows 7/8(was to supposedly ) doesn't support hardware acceleration anymore. It's all software now. The only form of hardware acceleration that works on windows 7 is openal. The problem is it only supports 16bit output currently. Also, not many new games and programs support openal. Anything new will be a gimmick of software and a audio card with nothing exciting on them.

System Name My baby
Processor Athlon II X4 620 @ 3.5GHz, 1.45v, NB @ 2700Mhz, HT @ 2700Mhz - 24hr prime95 stable
Motherboard Asus M4A785TD-V EVO
Cooling Sonic Tower Rev 2 with 120mm Akasa attached, Akasa @ Front, Xilence Red Wing 120mm @ Rear
Memory 16 GB G.Skills 1600Mhz
Video Card(s) ATI ASUS Crossfire 5850
Storage Samsung 1Tb EcoGreen hard drive
Display(s) Hanngs-G 19"
Case Antec VSK 2000 Black Tower Case
Audio Device(s) Onkyo TX-SR309 Receiver, 2x Kef Cresta 1, 1x Kef Center 20c
Power Supply OCZ StealthXstream II 600w, 4x12v/18A, 80% efficiency.
Software Windows Vista X64

Games don't sound bland. Run your games through a home theatre system and you'll think differently. Altec Lansing MX5021???? Really. Beggars can't be choosers.

EAX 6.0 won't be worthwhile unless they can get game developers onboard, and there are so many sound card manufacturers for customers to choose from Creative is an afterthought. Creative should license EAX 6.0 to all the other soundcard manufacturers too, then the game developers will take the technology seriously.