• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Creators update hanging

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
I recently upgraded to creators update and immediately began to have problems with Chrome. After about 3 -10 minutes of use it would begin to stop responding.

It starts with bits of a page not responding. After about 15 seconds or so this would spread to the whole page. Then one by one the other tabs would stop. Eventually the entire PC will stop responding. the whole hang takes about 1 minute

Occasionally I would get a response from something but in all circumstances I eventually had to restart in order to get everything back working again. I tried to use Edge and it also had the same issue except it took a little longer to occur.

If I avoid opening a browser, then no problems occur. I put a resource monitor window up and watched that - no peaks in CPU, Memory, disk or network.

So I gave up and rolled back the update and everything was fixed. Has anyone experienced this also? I'm thinking of trying the update again and was wondering if there might be something I can do to avoid the problem again.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
I'm also on Creators and have zero issues, but the update does reset several things even within applications. Examples: had to set my audio in/out ports again, removed audio devices were back in the list.

When you update again, check for hardware acceleration in the browser(s). There's a good chance it'll be turned off as Creators does seem to touch on all devices on the PC.

Other than that, I also did experience a few slowdowns shortly after updating. Its W10 doing its business 'while you're idle' except it doesn't always stop when you're not idle anymore :D I recognize that behaviour from when I had just installed W10 (or actually upgraded from 7 > 10). After a few days, it was gone.

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
Thanks I reinstalled the update and all is ok.