1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Critique this build (1st timer)

Discussion in 'System Builder's Advice' started by MolsonSS, Oct 25, 2009.

1. MolsonSS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hello, I am looking for a review on my proposed build. I have never built a computer before so I'm not entirely sure if everything is compatible with eachother, or if I have overlooked any components?

*updated*
    Case: Cool Master HAF 922
    Mobo: ASUS P6T Deluxe V2
    PSU: CORSAIR CMPSU-850HX 850W
    CPU: Intel Core i7-920 Bloomfield 2.66GHz
    Cooling: Thermalright ultra 120 extreme
    RAM: CORSAIR XMS3 6GB 1600
    SSD: Patriot Torqx 128GB
    HDD2: WD Caviar Black 750GB
    GPU: XFX HD5870
    ODD: LITE-ON Black 18X DVD

*update* I'm waiting on the 5870.... wow are they hard to find right now! :(

Thanks for your time,
    MolsonSS

Last edited: Oct 28, 2009
  2. DR.Death

DR.Death New Member

Thanks Received:
    looks good it will be a good rig

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. InTeL-iNsIdE Guest

Nothing wrong there at all, Very nice build although I would swap the velociraptor out for an SSD if its the OS drive.

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. RaPiDo987

RaPiDo987 New Member

Thanks Received:
  5. Greenmousa

Greenmousa

Thanks Received:
    About the questions you asked:

The LIte On i have one, it rocks it works been solid for some heavy HEAVY use for a long time now, so go for it.

Motherboard, yes, it's Crossfire Ready so, if you are planning to go Xfire, you will be able to do so.

The cooling question has been answered above.

Hope it helps :)

6. wolf

wolf Performance Enthusiast

Thanks Received:
    I own a lot of the parts on that list, check my specs, I can vouch for that being a kickass gaming rig brah.

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. lemode

Thanks Received:
  8. MK4512

MK4512 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Good job, seems like it will be a very good build!

9. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Why no SSD instead of the VRap?

Makes sense for a OS drive. :)

10. MolsonSS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Thanks for the quick responses!

The cooling linked by RaPiDo987: wow, that looks massive! But I'm abit unsure by the feeback, would this be a BETTER choice? Or is the one I picked good enough? Also on the SSD, any recommendations?

Thanks,
    MolsonSS

11. aCid888*

aCid888* New Member

Thanks Received:
    Far better heatsink choice, yes. :)

On an SSD note...the Intel SSD's are really nice but expensive, I see a lot of people using Patriot Warp's and similar but as to how good they are I'm not sure.

I'm sure an SSD owner can give advice on a good one. :toast:

12. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    Everything will work together just fine and you have chosen some great components.

Building a PC, isn't all that hard and everything fits together modularly. There are only two danger points and one caution when doing so:

- Danger 1: CPU. This and the socket pins are easily damaged if not handled very carefully. Make sure the CPU is located properly first, before latching it down and putting pressure on it.

When putting the thermal paste onto the CPU, make sure that you do it carefully and evenly, without too much of a thick layer on it. Use a good quality one, such as MX-3 or similar.

Also, make sure that you are grounded for static, when you handle the CPU.

As you have never done this before, I strongly recommend googling for a guide on how to do this. There's lots of them on enthusiast sites and might just help prevent you trashing your PC.

- Danger 2: Mobo. Ensure that the studs connecting the mobo to the case are located in the correct places - a stud without a corresponding hole in the mobo will short it out. If you do this by accident, you'll find that the mobo won't locate comfortably and will have a bulge in it. The stud can still scratch and damage the mobo however, so make absolutely sure that the studs match the mobo holes, before trying to mount it.

Because of the little springs in the ATX backplate supplied with the mobo, it could be a little tricky to get it under them and located properly. Don't force it if it's being difficult, but check carefully where the interference is and work with it.

- Caution: Hard disc. These should not be subjected to shocks, as they are sensitive mechanical devices. You can inadvertently shock them when trying to push them into the bays, if the angle is awkward and/or a tight fit. Fit them slowly and with feeling and you'll be alright. Your Cosmos case has a really good mounting system however, so it shouldn't be awkward to fit the HD.

Make sure you plug everything in carefully without forcing and you'll be fine.

Why not let us know how you get on and post some pictures?

Looking at your OS, I'm thinking that you may want to get the Ultimate version to get all the features. Alternatively, you can do what I did and get a TechNet download subscription instead - especially with a discount coupon, it's phenominal value!

For example, you get 10 keys for each version of the OS (XP, Vista & 7) and even an Enterprise key with no install limits. Note that you cannot under any circumstances give away or sell your keys. They are for your use only.

You get Office 2003 & Office 2007, top versions and loads more software, all legit.

The software has no install or time limits and can be used indefinitely. It's just like getting it retail, but without the box. :)

Myself, I downloaded Windows Server 2008 R2 (Win7-based) and am learning how to use it's features, such as setting up a domain and Active Directory, which can all help with my career. This is normally very expensive software if bought on its own and this alone has justified the TechNet price paid, let alone all the other goodies I've got from it.

The sub is how I was able to run the RTM version of Win7 since last August. :D

See the full range of software available, at www.technet.com

And finally, welcome to TPU! :toast:

13. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Looks pretty good, with the exception of the Caviar Green. The Caviar Green drives use only marginally less electricity than the other Caviar drivers, but are significantly slower. I would suggest either a Caviar Blue (I have one, and it's pretty good) or a Caviar Black (the best of the best as far as Caviars go). I would also choose the HAF 932 instead, it has better airflow and cable management options.

Crunching for Team TPU
  14. 20mmrain

20mmrain

Thanks Received:
    Look's great Just make sure that case will fit the 5870. I'm sure it will I've never used that case but with the size of video cards these days always double check.
    Also good luck on finding a 5870 I'm in the same boat right now:)

15. LittleLizard

LittleLizard

Thanks Received:
    agree with ION. get an AAKS (caviar blue) or AALS (caviar black)

also dont get the velociraptor but an ssd. a good one is the patriot torqx. is the best of the ones based on the indlinx controller (which is the second best controller after intel's own one)

also get a 5870 from xfx or asus. visiontek is a small brand with no good features while asus has voltage tweak and xfx double lifetime warranty.

16. MolsonSS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great feedback, thanks everyone.
    I am taking the advice on switching the raptor 300GB with a Patriot torqx 128gb SSD, and switching the second HDD to a 1TB caviar black. This brought up a question in my mind: are there any additional cables that I need to order? (for any component?)

I'm going to try and find an XFX 5870 GPU (no luck so far :rolleyes: )

Also, to qubit: Thanks for a very informative response, what type of pictures would you like to see? And as for the thermal paste, the MX-3 seems hard to find... is there a comparable brand that I can get ahold of in Canada?

Thanks,
    MolsonSS

17. qubit

qubit Overclocked quantum bit

Thanks Received:
    I'm in the UK, so I don't know what's available in Canada, I'm afraid. Anything made by Arctic Silver is good. MX-3 is their latest and is excellent, hence I suggested that one.

Some reviews of thermal paste: TPU has reviewed GELID and NT COMPATIBLE has links to lots of reviews.

Which pictures? It's really more about what you would like to share with us! :) Some examples might include the finished PC from various angles to show off your achievement, any mechanical gotchas that you come across eg parts that don't fit like they should, group picture of all the component boxes together (perhaps with their components on top) screendumps of benchmarks and photos of BIOS settings used in achieving your overclock and so on. There's no right or wrong on this one and pics tend to go down well here and drum up lots of interest in your post or thread.

18. [Ion]

[Ion] WCG Team Assistant

Thanks Received:
    Nope, all the needed cables will come with the mobo

Probably pictures during the build, maybe some final pics

I use OCZ FreeZe (and so far I've been very impressed with it. It keeps my temperatures about 3C lower than Arctic Silver 5, and it should be available in CA. If not, AS5 is still a good option, as is Tuniq TX-2 (also should be available in Canada)

Crunching for Team TPU
  19. MolsonSS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, sounds good! Once I find a source for that video card, I shall commence with the build! I'll keep you all posted :)

Thanks again everyone :respect:
    MolsonSS

20. MolsonSS New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ok, so today I can finally pick up all of the parts! I have a couple of questions that I have been unable to find answers for:

2 hard drives: Is there a specific way I need to hook up my SSD and my HDD so that the SSD is the primary drive? (The last time I was involved in hooking up a HDD was a long time ago and remember 'slaving' it to the primary HDD, not sure if that exists anymore?)

BIOS: Is this a farily straight forward setup with this mobo? I have never configured a BIOS before. Are there certain options I need to remember to enable? (like enabling the LAN)

After the parts are installed: I have yet to find a decent guide on getting the computer up and running once the build is complete. Would anyone have a link to a credible post-build guide? I just want to double check things that I may possibly overlook :p

Thanks for the help once again, and I shall post some pics of the hardware ASAP!

MolsonSS

21. xBruce88x

xBruce88x

Thanks Received:
    well the good news is that all sata drives have no jumpers as far as master and slave... i would probably put the SSD on the first port and the 1tb hdd on the 2nd port... but it really doesn't matter since you set which one will be the boot drive in the bios. at least that's how it is on my pc. your motherboard should come with a manual telling you how to set the boot options in the bios