• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

(cross posted from F@H forum) Newbie with some questions...

LightningZ71

Hello all,

I've decided to return to distributed computing after a decade long break. Back when seti@home got going, I was an enthusiastic supporter, starting a team in my home town among my friends and getting my employer to donate after hours time on their non-essential systems to the project. That all eventually came to an end as I got married and had kids. Fast forward to today, I'm finally finding myself with some time on my hands, and a bit of a budget to put towards a hobby. I'd like to get back into supporting distributed computing again.

This is what I'll be starting with:
HP Proliant ML350 G5 (currently 1 X Xeon 5430, quad core, 2.66ghz, 6mb l2; 12 GB ram, lots of hard disk space: this will be doing double duty as the home file and media server, I have plans to get the second processor kit to up it to 8 cores)
3 X Dell OptiPlex 780 (one Q8400, 2 with Pentium dual cores, though, I'm soon getting two more Q8400s, 4GB ram each)
1 X HP PC with an earlier Core II dual core and 4GB ram

My best GPU is an old, cheap Geforce 210. I realize that its almost useless for GPU processing.

I have a couple of questions:
1) I can get three Geforce GT730s for the Proliant server (its got 3 X PCI-E X8 slots for them) for dirt cheap. While they aren't computing powerhouses, they have a later model GPU core (Keppler) which supports OpenCL and CUDA 3.5, so they should be useful for a few more years. They're also low power and not too heavy on heat generation (and I hear that the cores overclock well enough). I can't go overboard with high draw video cards as I am going to run into the limits on the electrical circuit to the office/media room where this is all going to be installed. One day, I'll run a new 20 amp circuit into that room, but that's a bit pricey at the moment.

2) Is it worth it to go into F@H with these systems with almost a total lack of GPU performance? Is WCG better for CPU only systems?

I also noticed that a several of you were into high core count systems. If things go well for me with the Proliant that I have, I'm considering spending some hobby budget on this particular system from www.savemyserver.com

HP DL580 G5 4 X Xeon X7460 Hex core 2.4Ghz processors, 32 GB ram $766
That's 24 cores and 8 PCI-E slots with an option for three more if I buy the bus expansion adapter.
I just can't beat that price per core no matter where I go to look. While I know that those are essentially Core 2 based Xeons, they are still decent with respect to throughput.
Also, if it looks like CPU processing is just not getting it done for any of the projects by later this year when I go to buy, I can instead just get one with 4 X L7345 xeons (the lower power ones to reduce the power draw) and 32 GB ram for $286 and get the PCI-E extender and put my money into better GPUs.

Any thoughts on that system?

Norton

Moderator - Returning from the Darkness
Staff member
System Name Main PC- Gamer- Main Cruncher/Folder and too many crunching/folding rigs
Processor Ryzen 5900X- Ryzen 5950X- Ryzen 3950X and etc...
Motherboard Asrock X570 Extreme4- MSI X570S Tomahawk MAX WiFi- MSI B450M Bazooka Max and etc...
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S (dual fan)- EK 360 AIO with push/pull fans- Corsair H115i RGB Pro XT and etc...
Memory 2x16GB GSkill FlareX 3200/c14- 4x8GB Corsair Vengeance 3600/c16- 2x16GB Team 3600/c18 and etc..
Video Card(s) MSI Gaming RX 6800- Asus RTX 3070 TUF OC- MSI Ventus GTX 1660Ti and etc...
Storage Main PC (1TB WD SN850- 2TB PNY CS 3040- 2TB Seagate Firecuda) and etc...
Display(s) Main PC (2x24" Dell UltraSharp U2414H)
Case Phanteks P600s- Seasonic Q704- Fractal Meshify C and etc...
Audio Device(s) Logitech Z625 THX 2.1 speakers
Power Supply EVGA 750 G3- SeaSonic DGC 750- EVGA P2 850 and etc...
Mouse G300s
Keyboard Corsair K65
VR HMD N/A
Software Windows 10 Pro or Ubuntu
Benchmark Scores Why sit on the Bench when you can get in the game and Crunch!!!
Welcome and thanks for your interest! :respect:

Crunching performance depends on quite a few variables so while core count is a good start towards decent output it is not the only thing to consider....

@xvi runs some older servers and he may be able to assist with performance estimates on your current or projected system ideas. Personally, I believe that a socket 1366 or G34 Opteron based system should be your minimum for a server OR a socket 1155/AM3+ system for a desktop. The older systems tend to use more power for less output than newer, but not necessarily newest systems ;)

As mentioned in your other thread, using the Team threads for questions and feedback will probably get you a better response since Team members are usually around and monitor those threads.

Our WCG Team thread:
http://www.techpowerup.com/forums/threads/tpus-wcg-boinc-team.85784/

:toast:

LightningZ71

Well, budget is still a big concern. The big box will be doing double duty, both with DC and with being the home server. So, when/if I purchase the DL580 (depending on how things go with the ML350), it'll be because its the best bang for the buck out there. 24 cores under the Xeon L series (if I opt for getting separate CPUs later, 16 starting off), for that era, was quite a lot of computing power for not a whole lot of power. Those processors are TDP at 65 watts each, giving 260 watts for the processors. That's roughly 10 watts per core. Unless the performance is just terrible per core, which is possible, I still think that the throughput per watt will be highly worth it. And, if it turns out that doing the CPU route just isn't the way to go, I can load the machine up with up to 10 (need one slot for the iSCSI adapter) GT 730 Kepler cards, still be within the PSU budget, and crank out GPU units. The main thing that the DL580 brings is flexibility for a low price.

System Name Rainbow
Processor Intel Core i7 8700k
Motherboard MSI MPG Z390M GAMING EDGE AC
Cooling Corsair H115i, 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-3000 PWM
Memory G. Skill TridentZ RGB 4x8GB (F4-3600C16Q-32GTZR)
Video Card(s) ZOTAC GeForce RTX 3090 Trinity
Storage 2x Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | 2xHGST Deskstar 4TB 7.2K
Display(s) Samsung C27HG70
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Power Supply Seasonic 760W SS-760XP
Mouse Razer Deathadder 2013
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K95
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
@xvi runs some older servers and he may be able to assist with performance estimates on your current or projected system ideas.
Was already writing my reply when you tagged me. :p
Hello all,

I've decided to return to distributed computing after a decade long break. Back when seti@home got going, I was an enthusiastic supporter, starting a team in my home town among my friends and getting my employer to donate after hours time on their non-essential systems to the project. That all eventually came to an end as I got married and had kids. Fast forward to today, I'm finally finding myself with some time on my hands, and a bit of a budget to put towards a hobby. I'd like to get back into supporting distributed computing again.
Welcome back! :D

My best GPU is an old, cheap Geforce 210. I realize that its almost useless for GPU processing.
There's no GPU work for World Community Grid at the moment, so if you want to put it to work, you'd have to run it under Folding@Home. While it's true that it won't have much in the way of performance, it is still doing work. Whether or not it's worth it to run it depends on who you ask. On one side of the coin, it's an older generation, lower end card. On the other side of the coin, any result is a welcomed result. I think it's a bit of a toss up. Power consumption would be minimal, but so would output. For me, I'd consider a newer mid-range card if you were wanting to contribute to Folding@Home.
In my opinion, it's not so much that it's an entry-level card, but more that it's a few generations behind. I don't think performance per watt would be all that great, even though there aren't many watts used.

I have a couple of questions:
1) I can get three Geforce GT730s for the Proliant server (its got 3 X PCI-E X8 slots for them) for dirt cheap. While they aren't computing powerhouses, they have a later model GPU core (Keppler) which supports OpenCL and CUDA 3.5, so they should be useful for a few more years. They're also low power and not too heavy on heat generation (and I hear that the cores overclock well enough). I can't go overboard with high draw video cards as I am going to run into the limits on the electrical circuit to the office/media room where this is all going to be installed. One day, I'll run a new 20 amp circuit into that room, but that's a bit pricey at the moment.
True, not powerhouses, but they should be quite efficient. I'd check in with the F@H group to see if there's an estimated PPD to expect out of three of them. I'd be interested to know what kind of PPD a single GPU for the same price as the three 730s would bring in. I would expect ppd/watt to favor the 730s and ppd/$ to favor the single GPU, but you never know.
My only real concern is that if you decided in the future that you wanted to increase your GPU compute potential, you'd have to toss one or more of your GPUs for a better one. If you picked up a single GPU, you could just expand down the line.

2) Is it worth it to go into F@H with these systems with almost a total lack of GPU performance? Is WCG better for CPU only systems?
Like I say, it depends on who you ask. For me, if new GPUs are an option, I'd skip the GT 210. Workunits will likely take a while to complete. If you're thinking of sticking with the 210 for a while, you could run it and see what kind of performance you get and make your decision based on that. I myself wouldn't expect it to be worth it, but that's a very subjective question.

You didn't really ask anything about the systems you already have, but I wanted to take some time to comment on them.
HP Proliant ML350 G5 (currently 1 X Xeon 5430, quad core, 2.66ghz, 6mb l2; 12 GB ram, lots of hard disk space: this will be doing double duty as the home file and media server, I have plans to get the second processor kit to up it to 8 cores)
I have a DL180 G5 that has similar specs. Dual Xeon E5450. Loaded with hard drives, it uses about 250 watts at the wall (I think. I can break out the kill-a-watt to confirm that later if you'd like) and does about 5k PPD. I've had it offline because the noise was starting to get to me. I don't consider this machine too terribly power efficient, although it's better (or at least about the same) as my FX 8350 rig at roughly the same wattage. What made me happy was that I was able to put it together for about $260. Buy in price is quite good, ppd/watt could be better.

3 X Dell OptiPlex 780 (one Q8400, 2 with Pentium dual cores, though, I'm soon getting two more Q8400s, 4GB ram each)
Same architecture as above, so similar performance. Each one should bring in half of what your server above does, give or take. I'd expect ppd/$ and ppd/watt to be less than the server.

1 X HP PC with an earlier Core II dual core and 4GB ram
Still about the same architecture, so more of the same I think.

I'm considering spending some hobby budget on this particular system from www.savemyserver.com
HP DL580 G5 4 X Xeon X7460 Hex core 2.4Ghz processors, 32 GB ram $766
That's 24 cores and 8 PCI-E slots with an option for three more if I buy the bus expansion adapter.
I'm not familiar with the X7460, but CPU-world seems to say it's basically a 6-core Core II CPU that they went back and stuck on a Socket 604 package? That.. seems.. weird.
Also, that's a lot of RAM. 24 WCG workunits should fit in about 4GB of RAM pretty comfortably. If it's cheap (which it likely is, since it's likely DDR2 FB-DIMMs)

Assuming it scales linearly, it'd probably be a ~12,000 ppd system. I'd really suggest looking at a dual Xeon E55xx or E56xx system. My E55-something system was seeing about 3000-3500 PPD on a single ~80-90w quad-core ~2.6GHz. A few people here have built dual Nehalem hex-core Xeon systems for pretty reasonable prices. I was intending to join the ranks of dual Nehalem users with a HP Z600 workstation, but it's been crashing quite a bit and won't boot now. In theory, a dual Nehalem/Westmere hex-core setup should be do-able in the $300-400 range.

There's a lot of theorycrafting that can be done. Harpertown Xeons are pretty good if power consumption isn't a concern, but with your budget, I'd take a good look at some dual or quad LGA1366 setups. You could probably get more bang for your buck out of them.

LightningZ71

I'm still sniffing around for other potential setups. The savemyserver.com site just blew me away with the prices and configurations that they could give. Why 32GB of ram for the DL580? Because its maybe $80 for it. The price per GB of ram is just crazy, figured I'd get it with the package.

I went sniffing around some benchmarking sites and it definitely seems to hold true that the Nehalem generation Xeons, from even the very first ones, just absolutely blow away the earlier Core II based Xeons in per core transaction and thread performance. If I can get half the number of cores for the same price, I'll definitely come out ahead in the long run. I guess that I need to go looking for some more server recycling sites to see if any of them are offering decently priced gear. Given the performance jump, however, I think that even modestly specced systems will wind up way out of my league.

The other route that I can take is to get the DL580 anyway and spec it with 4 of the L series xeon quad core processors and low power memory and instead load it up with GeForce Gt 730 GPUs. I can get ten in there, giving one CPU core per GPU to feed work units, and leaving two cores open for server administration duties. A server with 4 X L7345 and 16GB of RAM is $246. If I buy the GT 730s in bulk, I can likely get a deal for them at about $50 a piece, that's ~$746 for a 10 GPU rig that can still function as a home server as well. I have to think that 10 X GT 730 can do more DC work than a single $500 video card or a pair of $250 ones.

Reactions: xvi
System Name Rainbow
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores 4 trillion points in GmailMark, over 144 FPS 2K Facebook Scrolling (Extreme Quality preset)
Why 32GB of ram for the DL580? Because its maybe $80 for it. The price per GB of ram is just crazy, figured I'd get it with the package.
DDR2 FB-DIMMs are cheap. Should be cheaper than that, I think. Haven't checked recently though.
I guess that I need to go looking for some more server recycling sites to see if any of them are offering decently priced gear. Given the performance jump, however, I think that even modestly specced systems will wind up way out of my league.
If you can find a local recycler, definitely hit them up. It's probably going to be about $60-80 to ship any server.
I like to nab my stuff from eBay, personally. My DL180 was about $160 shipped because it only had one slow E5405 (4 core, 2GHz). Bought two E5450s (4 core, 3GHz) and a spare heatsink for about $100 total and ended up with a server as good as/better than the $400-500 ones. I guess resellers don't want to spend the time to upgrade them or something.
The other route that I can take is to get the DL580 anyway and spec it with 4 of the L series xeon quad core processors and low power memory and instead load it up with GeForce Gt 730 GPUs. I can get ten in there, giving one CPU core per GPU to feed work units, and leaving two cores open for server administration duties. A server with 4 X L7345 and 16GB of RAM is $246. If I buy the GT 730s in bulk, I can likely get a deal for them at about $50 a piece, that's ~$746 for a 10 GPU rig that can still function as a home server as well. I have to think that 10 X GT 730 can do more DC work than a single $500 video card or a pair of $250 ones.
Rescue My Server didn't seem like they had the greatest prices ever. eBay has the 6-core Xeon E7460 for $30 per processor. (Just noticed that VRMs are separate, but still). If you can find a good base to build off of, that might be a cheaper route for that option.

If you want to cram a bunch of GPUs in to one system, I'd look for a used cryptocurrency mining rig. That's basically exactly what they're for and the market for such computers should be sufficiently crashed (and therefore cheap maybe?). ASRock made a motherboard specifically for this. Might be worth looking in to.

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
If you want to do straight cpu work ie: Wcg more cores/threads =:rockout:. Also you can build your own server type rig. I just priced out a dual LGA 1366 mobo with 2x x5550 Xeon's for $210. I may pick up a couple of those for myself and later change the cpu's out for X5670's. Also complete Fx8350 crunching setups can be had for under $400 new with everything except hdd.

BUCK NASTY

4P Enthusiust
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-4130 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Strix @ 1503Mhz Core
Storage Corsair Force 90gb SSD/ WD Caviar Blue 750gb
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec TP750 80+
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64
Stay away from F@H with a CPU based rig, unless you have some mid/high end GPU's to fold with. WCG would be your best bet for a CPU based system(software runs real smooth). I would avoid anything less than a 750ti for F@H and running under a Linux environment is highly recommended.

Last edited:
Reactions: xvi

BUCK NASTY

4P Enthusiust
System Name Main Rig
Processor AMD FX-4130 @ 4.8Ghz
Motherboard ASUS M5A99X Evo
Cooling Coolermaster Hyper 212+
Memory 8GB GSkill DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 970 Strix @ 1503Mhz Core
Storage Corsair Force 90gb SSD/ WD Caviar Blue 750gb
Display(s) ASUS 24" IPS
Case Coolermaster Centurion 590
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Antec TP750 80+
Software Windows 7 Ultimate 64

I love it @xvi . Just plug in the GPU's and F#%king money just pours out of the cards! What model GPU is that again???? LOL:roll:

Crap...double post..:shadedshu:

System Name Rainbow
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Software Windows 10 Pro
Also complete Fx8350 crunching setups can be had for under $400 new with everything except hdd.
For pure compute purposes, I think I would have trouble recommending an AMD FX CPU over an older Xeon setup. My Xeon x55?? ~2.66GHz quad core (can't remember exactly what's in it) machine rather well and and those processors are rather inexpensive.
Just plug in the GPU's and F#%king money just pours out of the cards! What model GPU is that again????
6x Titan Z. Oh whoops! Money goes the wrong direction that way. :laugh:

System Name Selene / Yoda
Processor Fx 8350 @ 4.4 / Phenom II x6 1090t @ 3.6
Motherboard Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3 r4.0 / Gigabyte 890XA-UD3
Cooling H100i / Xig Dark Knight
Memory 4x 8gb G.Skill Snipers / 4x 4gb G.Skill Ares
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 290x / XfX DD & VisionTek HD6850's C'fired
Storage 256gb ssd, 2x 2tb Wd Blacks & 1x 1tb Wd black / 1x 1tb
Display(s) Dell Ultra Sharp 2408 WFp / Hp w2207
Case Raidmax Vampire / Chieftec Alum. Dragon Blue
Audio Device(s) Onboard Hd Audio / Onboard Hd Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX 850 watt / Corsair TX 750 watt
Mouse Logitech G500s
Keyboard Corsair Strafe
Software Win 10 pro / Win Vista Home prem. 64 bit
Benchmark Scores What are benchmarks anyway?
Yes the 4c / 8t older Xeons are rather cheap to buy, it's the rest that you need that to get it running that can get expensive. Dual 1366 boards aren't really cheap unless you happen across one by chance. I was lucky and got my combo at a great price when I got it. But I do get what your saying buddy.

System Name Bay2- Lowerbay/ HP 3770/T3500-2+T3500-3+T3500-4/ Opti-Con/Orange/White/Grey
Processor i3 2120's/ i7 3770/ x5670's/ i5 2400/Ryzen 2700/Ryzen 2700/R7 3700x
Motherboard HP UltraSlim's/ HP mid size/ Dell T3500 workstation's/ Dell 390/B450 AorusM/B450 AorusM/B550 AorusM
Cooling All stock coolers/Grey has an H-60
Memory 2GB/ 4GB/ 12 GB 3 chan/ 4GB sammy/T-Force 16GB 3200/XPG 16GB 3000/Ballistic 3600 16GB
Video Card(s) HD2000's/ HD 2000/ 1 MSI GT710,2x MSI R7 240's/ HD4000/ Red Dragon 580/Sapphire 580/Sapphire 580
Storage ?HDD's/ 500 GB-er's/ 500 GB/2.5 Samsung 500GB HDD+WD Black 1TB/ WD Black 500GB M.2/Corsair MP600 M.2
Display(s) 1920x1080/ ViewSonic VX24568 between the rest/1080p TV-Grey
Case HP 8200 UltraSlim's/ HP 8200 mid tower/Dell T3500's/ Dell 390/SilverStone Kublai KL06/NZXT H510 W x2
Audio Device(s) Sonic Master/ onboard's/ Beeper's!
Power Supply 19.5 volt bricks/ Dell PSU/ 525W sumptin/ same/Seasonic 750 80+Gold/EVGA 500 80+/Antec 650 80+Gold
Mouse cheap GigaWire930, CMStorm Havoc + Logitech M510 wireless/iGear usb x2/MX 900 wireless kit 4 Grey
Keyboard Dynex, 2 no name, SYX and a Logitech. All full sized and USB. MX900 kit for Grey
Software Mint 18 Sylvia/ Opti-Con Mint KDE/ T3500's on Kubuntu/HP 3770 is Win 10/Win 10 Pro/Win 10 Pro/Win10
Benchmark Scores World Community Grid is my benchmark!!
I wonder, did you guys scare him away?

He had not even started Crunching, or Folding. Everyone here pretty much said his stuff was junk!

He would have been pushing Pie in WCG and 10 730's? He may have only been able to do one job per day but, that would be 10 jobs a day!!

After a month of that, he probably would be ready for some changes, power bill can do that.

But, no. I have not seen him in either of the teams milestones or pie posts and if you click on his name, he has not visited since his last post.

I know, nobody seriously called him out, nor degraded him in any way. Plus, solid information was given. BUT, VERY little was said about HOW EVERY POINT COUNTS FOR SCIENCE!!

The conversation went right towards PPD.

Perhaps we can welcome folks with a little more WELCOME!!

:confused:

Am I wrong?

System Name Rainbow
Case Xigmatek Aquila
Software Windows 10 Pro
You do have a point. Could have been a bit more "Welcome to the team, we'd love to have you!"

I do think there's a point at which PPD/watt just isn't worth it. My little ARM media box does about 850 RAC at ~9 watts and can be easily acquired for about $80. I think the only quam I had was with the Pentium Ds. Assuming the Pentium D rig does about the same as the ARM (my C2D laptops do ~1100 RAC, so I think it's feasible), and also assuming it does somewhere between 150-200 watts, that's ~$10-15 a month in electricity costs. Even best case scenario for the P4, the ARM box would pay for itself in ~10 months if it completely replaced the P4. Even the Xeons he had don't match that for efficiency, but it's easier to justify a single machine producing a lot of points.

Am I wrong?
I hope he wasn't scared away, surely nobody here intended to do so. Or wanted him to think his stuff was junk. He's probably just looking around elsewhere right now, looking for more recommendations and hopefully will be back to tell us the information he gathered. I know that every point counts, but I believe that @LightningZ71 is willing to crunch for more than just a few points. :rockout:
I can say without a doubt that our team warmly welcomes any new member and offers great assistance with anything. I did experience all of that for sure.
PPD or not, in the end it's all about helping science move along. If Lightning should be back with us, let's roll out the "Welcome" mat for him and let him step inside. We need you - join us and have fun! :toast: