1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crossfire 4850's Not Working Please Help

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by sebluy, Dec 5, 2010.

1. sebluy New Member

Thanks Received:
    A few days ago I received my second 4850 in the mail. My problem is that one of my cards simply is not being used at all. I used MSI Afterburner to view my performance while playing some games. My result was 99% usage on the first card, and 0% usage on the second card. I did this playing Black Ops and also CS:S to make sure it wasn't Black Ops having poor optimization. In CCC and GPU-z it claims Crossfire is enabled, yet in ATI Tray Tools it says its unavailable.

My system is as follows:

Phenom II X4 925 @2.8 ghz (non-overclocked)

MSI 790x-g45 Motherboard

4 GB 1600 ddr3 RAM

Gigabyte 4850 1gb

XFX 4850 1gb

Windows 7 32 bit

From what I have read online this configuration should work fine in crossfire. Also, I am using 1 Crossfire bridge which is a MSI crossfire bridge that came with my motherboard. If anyone sees what could be wrong I would really appreciate the help.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. ngokhikho New Member

Thanks Received:
    You can check the sensor mode in various programs, so you may know whether each GPU is active or not. (different temperature, % load, fps in few heavy games such as Crysis)

3. IggSter

IggSter

Thanks Received:
    I'm no expert when it comes to crossfire but a couple of thing spring to mind:

1. Are you sure the`msi app can read from both gfx cards? Are they both the same Manufacturer and model?
    2. Have you removed the gfx driver, run a driver clean and reinstalled with both cards installed?

Sorry thats all i have at the moment :/

Edit:

3 Have you tested both cards on their own?
    4 both have power and enough of it?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. overclocking101

overclocking101

Thanks Received:
    on gpu-z set it to read the second card. set it to show max usage. then run 3dmark vantage or 06. that will show. some games dont support crossfire.

5. alexsubri

alexsubri

Thanks Received:
    Judging by your MSI Afterburner picture, it looks like a driver issues. I would uninstall all drivers and reinstall them.

6. dark2099

dark2099

Thanks Received:
    I think this is a good idea too. Use the nifty guide here.

7. Brilford Wimley

Brilford Wimley New Member

Thanks Received:
    In your screenshot, in CCC I see that you have "Enable CrossfireX" checked. It looks like maybe you didn't hit "Apply".

8. sebluy New Member

Thanks Received:
    Ah, I figured it out. It appears crossfire refuses to work in DX9. Since Black Ops only runs in DX9, this is a problem. Anyone know how I can fix this?