1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CrossFired 5850 Or Sell It Off?

Discussion in 'AMD / ATI' started by FreedomEclipse, Dec 27, 2010.

?

What the hell do i do???

1. CHEAPER OPTION - grab another 5850 for some crossfire love!

23 vote(s)
    57.5%
  2. EXPENSIVE OPTION - sell the 5850 and get a single 6950 and unlock it

17 vote(s)
    42.5%
  1. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    150 GBP or 150USD? £150 is a bit of a no brainer as a 6850 costs the same

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Patjuh New Member

Thanks Received:
    here in NL it's euro's.

3. Nitro-Max

Nitro-Max New Member

Thanks Received:
    Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom.{East Anglian Coast
    Dunno could be driver related i tried the 10.10 had problems in black ops, So i tried the 10.11Black ops runs fine but i have the run/jump bug in bfc2 in crossfire. And 10.12 is just a total disaster really all round.

You would think newer drivers are better, but its not always the case, lots of people go back to older drivers that worked well.

It seems that when they release a card they work through the bugs on the drivers and just when they start fecting out decent drivers for that card, They bring out a new family of graphics cards and have to add support for them too, and the drivers get messed around with so much to support all these cards they start to become less stable and more bugs arise its a multi support thing i think.

When it comes to hardware and software one is always lagging behind i mean why fetch out a new game like black ops with no crossfire support? Yet cod 4 supports it and its older! Its dam annoying.
    I think they release hardware too quickly and were all tricked into this way of thinking that we must continuesly upgrade.

When really if they made all games and software to run well with the latest hardware trend things would run alot more efficeintly and your pc would seem alot faster.

Like when crysis first came out everything hardware was compared to crysis and how well it preformed. And if it didnt preform well then people wanted to upgrade!!

Were as me i was like "So what i dont play crysis problem solved!" no need to upgrade! cos every other game i had flew along happily all day long. I couldnt bring myself to spend another load of money based around one stupid game that i didnt even play and was ahead of its time anyway, And even the most expensive hardware at the time still struggled to squeeze 60fps out of it maxed out.

Just stupid lol but for some it was their motivation to upgrade.

Last edited: Dec 28, 2010
    FreedomEclipse says thanks.
    10 Year Member at TPU
  4. mav2000

mav2000 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Is there a reason why you need an additional card? I have a single 5850 and it can pretty much max most games at full HD levels....So are you planning to use eyefinity or something?

Its always ncie to get a new piece of hardware, but ever since I got this 5850, I realy dont think I need a new GPU. Earlier I would change my GPU with each new gen card, and sometimes also between various series in the same generation.

Now after adding a water block, I am restrained from doing this as the cost of a new card + block would be high. But the good thing is I figured out that I dont need a new card right now.

5. Sensi Karate

Sensi Karate New Member

Thanks Received:
    Who doesn't like a new card? Definitely go for the expensive option. :D

6. mosheen

mosheen

Thanks Received:
    I'm in the same boat.

Stay with the 5850.
    Not worth upgrading just now.

Edit: Unless you can sell it for a good price

Crunching for Team TPU
  7. mrsemi

Thanks Received:
    I got the same itch to upgrade as you but when I figured out how much less the 5850's were going for vs what I paid combined I decided against it. Buy a 2nd 5850, I'm thinking about buying a 3rd just to scratch that itch and they're dirt cheap used all things considered.

Probably going to wait 3 or 4 more months for em to go down more because two 5850's is still plenty.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2010
    10 Year Member at TPU
  8. Zenith

Zenith

Thanks Received:
    I wouldn't upgrade just yet. Maybe in one year when newer cars will become cheaper. In ATI case there are lot of problems with drivers in beggining, so I would wait. Or buy second 5850.

9. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    well It depends how everything pans out at the moment, my 5850 is currently up for sale, but If i cant get rid of it i may well just buy another 5850.

I would like to get a 6950 though. Huskie was going to buy my 5850 but i dont think hes going to anymore :(

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    sell it man, remeber HD69XX have amazinbg scaling while your HD HD58XX suck on it, so its better have HD 69XX with better scaling

FreedomEclipse and Wrigleyvillain say thanks.
  11. yogurt_21

yogurt_21

Thanks Received:
    dual 5850's have the same performance as the 5970

the 5970 outperforms the 6970 by a good margin, this includes higher resolutions.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/HIS/Radeon_HD_6970/29.html

notice overall 19% faster and at 1650x1080 it's 21% faster, 1920x1200 23% faster and 2560x1600 25% faster.

so no scaling does not favor the 6950 unlocked to 6970 over dual 5850s.

I'm failing to see how so many people voted for that option he specifically states it's the more expensive one and it has the least performance of the two offered.

this forum is wayyy to enthralled with "ooh look at it all shiney and new" and fails to focus on practicality.

10 Year Member at TPU
  12. Wrigleyvillain

Wrigleyvillain PTFO or GTFO

Thanks Received:
    This. Unprecedented scaling so you're simply gonna get more out of two 6xxx cards working together than any other combo. I just got two 6850's and am blown away at the perf for the price.

Please note I have been suggesting 6xxx series crossfire not a single 69xx card, even with the awesome unlock capability.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2010
  13. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    so 2 5850s are faster then a 6970? :O

---

I havent sold the card yet - Ive been lowballed by a polish dude for it but no i havent sold it

10 Year Member at TPU
  14. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    10 Year Member at TPU
  15. wahdangun

wahdangun New Member

Thanks Received:
    i said HD 69XX do wonder on CF, and i'm not talking about single card performance, Hell even HD 6850 have better scaling than HD 5850 and perform better

no don't, you just waster your money, hell if you want to cheaper one, you can get HD 6870 CF

16. mrsemi

Thanks Received:

Problem is the original poster is talking about going crossfire vs a single card so single card performance is what he was talking about.

Yes I own 2 5850's, yes I said for him to do the same but I'm pointing out that your response if in regards to 5850 crossfire vs 6970 is irrelevant to the original posters question. He wasn't asking about scaling or xfire performance between the series, he was considering xfire to single card performance.

10 Year Member at TPU
  17. blu3flannel

blu3flannel

Thanks Received:
    Yeah, it'll probably be better to stick with 2 5850's. Great performance now, and you can sell them in a couple of years and get the latest single-card solution. Then the cycle starts over again.

18. FreedomEclipse

Thanks Received:
    Thanks guys - Ive stuck with the poll and I should have a 5850 arriving later today or 2morow!!

10 Year Member at TPU