• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crosshair IV running 1600mhz DDR3 showing 1333mhz

bokou

System Name The Beast 2
Processor AMD Phenom II 965 OC'd: 3.9ghz
Motherboard ASUS Crosshair IV Formula
Cooling Noctua NH-D14
Memory G-Skill Ripjaw DDR3-1600
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 6970
Storage WDl 7200rpm 500gb
Display(s) Acer 21" LCD, Westinghouse 21" LCD
Case Coolermaster HAF932
Audio Device(s) On-board 7.1 SupremeFX
Power Supply Xion 800w Modular
Software Windows 7, Steam, BFBC2, TF2, Adobe CS5
Benchmark Scores 20k+ on 3dMark06, will have to look at exact number
Long story short I finally got it working and may have even had it working all along.

I have used HWInfo32 for a lot of stuff in the recent past and was using it to measure the speed of my ram because it was quick to start up and one-click to get my speed to make sure I had set it correctly in the BIOS. I've got an ASUS Crosshair IV and was setting my G-Skill DDR3 1600 to 1600mhz and in the post-screen it was showing 1600 but when I got into windows and opened up HWInfo32 to check my speed it was saying 666.7mhz (per channel) which means 1333. No matter what I did it wasn't changing.

I first assumed it might be all the "turbo" software or the power-saving software that came with the motherboard. I uninstalled all of that and still had 666.7 showing. A friend of mine asked me what software I was using to check it and when I said HWInfo he said try CPU-Z which I also had installed. When I checked it, it showed 802mhz... so it was incorrect in HWInfo apparently.

If anyone else ever has this issue - make sure you use something like CPU-Z instead of HWInfo to ensure that all your stuff is running correctly. It really had me aggravated for at least an hour trying to figure it out.