• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crypto Miners Paint GDDR Memory Chips to Hide Wear and Tear

AleksandarK

News Editor
Staff member
With the once-lucrative business of cryptocurrency mining now slowly falling out of favor for discrete graphics, crypto miners are turning their heads to creative solutions to "refurbish" and sell their remaining inventory to third-party users. When GPU components, such as the die or GDDR memory, overheat, they can produce visual signs of damage, such as discoloration or melting. Some miners have started painting the memory on their GPU's boards with special thermal paint to hide the wear and tear from the naked eye and make the GDDR chips appear new in hopes that no one would notice. According to Iskandar Souza and TecLab, their cases are now getting debunked.

As these reports note, miners are removing the stock cooling systems from GPUs to install a third-party solution or recently tried to resolder failed GPU dies back in place and paint the yellowish GDDR memory chips. According to the testing done by Iskandar Souza, you can see below the difference between a worn-out yellowish GDDR chip and its painted deception standing next to one another. Below you can also see the process of resoldering failed GPUs back in place. Crypto miners have been very careful to make them look almost as brand new, so GPU buyers from third-party sources need to be extra cautious before making a purchase.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Inb4 crypto miners on this forum bombing this thread with "but I take AMAZING care of MY cards and ALWAYS undervolt them and NEVER overheat them".

NOBODY CARES that you are allegedly the exception to the rule.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> ... nope still the same :'(
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
Dont buy used, dont buy new, just dont buy at all....sadly...screw em all

the54thvoid

Intoxicated Moderator
Staff member
Processor Ryzen 7800X3D
Motherboard MSI MAG Mortar B650 (wifi)
Cooling be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory 32GB Kingston Fury
Video Card(s) Gainward RTX4070ti
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 M.2 1TB / Samsumg 960 Pro M.2 512Gb
Display(s) LG 32" 165Hz 1440p GSYNC
Case Asus Prime AP201
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply be quiet! Pure POwer M12 850w Gold (ATX3.0)
Software W10
I read a report elsewhere that suggested a recent batch of faililng AMD 6900's was likely sourced from mining stock that had sat in damp warehouse conditions. I'm pretty sure the hobby miners tried to look after their cards but on the industrial scale, I doubt it very much.

Low quality post by mahanddeem
Inb4 crypto miners on this forum bombing this thread with "but I take AMAZING care of MY cards and ALWAYS undervolt them and NEVER overheat them".

NOBODY CARES that you are allegedly the exception to the rule.
You need to learn how to buy second hand stuff. It's not something for any novice, but you can always ask someone to help you test the card in person or if buying from Ebay you are pretty much covered by them. Also warranty is transferable in most places. So unless you can afford to buy new, learn to buy second hand or opened box/resealed items.

I've said it before countless times, but "mined on" GPUs are exactly identical to ones that have been gamed on. There is no detectable difference - you have literally no way of knowing. The reason you have no way of knowing is because mining doesn't do anything different than any other use of a graphics card. The only thing that *might* matter is that fan bearings tend to wear out much faster (in terms of years of service) because they're running essentially 24/7. Everything else in the graphics card is exactly the same as new, same reliability - actually higher, since failure rates on new cards are highest right after purchase due to them not having been tested for sustained (days to weeks) periods.

I've bought cards that had clearly been mined on in a shed and were filthy. A few with actual water damage or rust on the coolers. You know the worst thing that happened? I had to replace some fans. I had multiple RX 480/580s that were mined on literally almost constantly for 7+ years and are now in service in other PCs. All of them still work.

This whole "mined GPUs are risky" thing is bitterness from people who didn't mine. Oops, I said it. It was annoying for me too, which is why I started mining. I would much, MUCH rather buy a used card from another miner than from a gamer. Miners were overwhelmingly doing it for profit, which means you need to keep your equipment in good working order. The average gamer doesn't even begin to know or care about PC maintenance.

Mining GPUs are fine. Don't buy them from China or overseas, obviously, but if you're in the US, Canada, western Europe, etc then the only thing you have to worry about is *possibly* replacing fans. Most cards that aren't from Zotac don't even require that much. Zotac cards pretty much guarantee the need for fan replacement, so keep that in mind. If replacing fans or thermal paste scares you, guess what: your only method of being certain a GPU hasn't been mined on is if you buy new. There is no way to tell, there is no physical evidence, and nothing stopping anyone from lying to you and saying "oh yeah for sure this card was never mined on, totally."

Processor i7 7700k
Motherboard MSI Z270 SLI Plus
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Corsair Vengeance
Video Card(s) MSI RTX 2070 Super
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB and WD Black 4TB
Display(s) Dell 27 inch 1440p 144 Hz
Case Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow Edition
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA SuperNova 850 W Gold
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G105
Software Windows 10
Use that gray matter between your ears and like everything else you will be fine.

Low quality post by maxfly
System Name DadsBadAss
Processor I7 13700k w/ HEATKILLER IV PRO Copper Nickel
Motherboard MSI Z790 Tomahawk Wifi DDR4
Cooling BarrowCH Boxfish 200mm-HWLabs SR2 420/GTX&GTS 360-BP Dual D5 MOD TOP- 2x Koolance PMP 450S
Memory 4x8gb HyperX Predator RGB DDR4 4000
Video Card(s) Asrock 6800xt PG D w/ Byski A-AR6900XT-X
Storage WD SN850x 1TB NVME M.2/Adata XPG SX8200 PRO 1TB NVMe M.2
Display(s) Acer XG270HU
Case ThermalTake X71 w/5 Noctua NF-A14 2000 IP67 PWM/3 Noctua NF-F12 2000 IP67 PWM/3 CorsairML120 Pro RGB
Audio Device(s) Klipsch Promedia 2.1
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 w/CableMod PRO ModMesh RT-Series Black/Blue
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Black Aluminun Mechanical Clicky Thing With Blue LEDs, hows that for a name?!
Software Win11pro
This is hilarious. Crypto clowns just can't be halfway decent human beings. Oops fried these here cards darn it! Hey, I've got a great idea that noooobody will notice. Paint em and resell em!

Brings to mind Panteras album cover of Vulgar Display of Power for some reason...

System Name Home PC
Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Asus Prime X370 Pro
Cooling Thermaltake Contac Silent 12
Memory 2x8gb F4-3200C16-8GVKB - 2x16gb F4-3200C16-16GVK
Video Card(s) XFX RX480 GTR
Storage Samsung SSD Evo 120GB -WD SN580 1TB - Toshiba 2TB HDWT720 - 1TB GIGABYTE GP-GSTFS31100TNTD
Display(s) Cooler Master GA271 and AoC 931wx (19in, 1680x1050)
Case Green Magnum Evo
Power Supply Green 650UK Plus
Mouse Green GM602-RGB ( copy of Aula F810 )
Keyboard Old 12 years FOCUS FK-8100
someone is selling XFX Merc 6900XT with price around $350 , so fishy ?

Low quality post by Assimilator
System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
I've said it before countless times, but "mined on" GPUs are exactly identical to ones that have been gamed on. There is no detectable difference - you have literally no way of knowing. The reason you have no way of knowing is because mining doesn't do anything different than any other use of a graphics card. The only thing that *might* matter is that fan bearings tend to wear out much faster (in terms of years of service) because they're running essentially 24/7. Everything else in the graphics card is exactly the same as new, same reliability - actually higher, since failure rates on new cards are highest right after purchase due to them not having been tested for sustained (days to weeks) periods.

I've bought cards that had clearly been mined on in a shed and were filthy. A few with actual water damage or rust on the coolers. You know the worst thing that happened? I had to replace some fans. I had multiple RX 480/580s that were mined on literally almost constantly for 7+ years and are now in service in other PCs. All of them still work.

This whole "mined GPUs are risky" thing is bitterness from people who didn't mine. Oops, I said it. It was annoying for me too, which is why I started mining. I would much, MUCH rather buy a used card from another miner than from a gamer. Miners were overwhelmingly doing it for profit, which means you need to keep your equipment in good working order. The average gamer doesn't even begin to know or care about PC maintenance.

Mining GPUs are fine. Don't buy them from China or overseas, obviously, but if you're in the US, Canada, western Europe, etc then the only thing you have to worry about is *possibly* replacing fans. Most cards that aren't from Zotac don't even require that much. Zotac cards pretty much guarantee the need for fan replacement, so keep that in mind. If replacing fans or thermal paste scares you, guess what: your only method of being certain a GPU hasn't been mined on is if you buy new. There is no way to tell, there is no physical evidence, and nothing stopping anyone from lying to you and saying "oh yeah for sure this card was never mined on, totally."
Right on time, exactly as predicted.

Your whole argument is BS because graphics cards aren't mechanical components that either don't work the first time they're used, or if they do will likely work for a long time. Thermal stress is a thing, so is thermal cycling, so is electromigration, so is a plethora of other factors that GPU designers and manufacturers don't cater for because the use-case they design for is not 24/7/365 activity.

You just disproved your own statement. They are the same if you compare a 10 years old gaming card with a 1 or 2 years old mining card. And even then it's not really the same, a gaming card will be constantly cycling between heating and cooling down while a mining card will stay at a set point for weeks on end.

In some ways a mining card can be better (like a used car that only did long distance highways is better than one that did short city commutes), in others is worse by having endured industrial level stress (running constantly at higher avg temps and during more total hours during lifetime).

The generalization is garbage as generalizations usually are.

someone is selling XFX Merc 6900XT with price around $350 , so fishy ?

If it's too good to be true it's usually a scam.

100% agree.

I'd much rather buy a card from a hobbyist miner over a gamer. The average miner is almost certainly more knowledgeable when it comes to the use, maintenance, testing, and re-sale of hardware. Thats not to mention the mining workload is not nearly as destructive to the components of a GPU as the gaming/desktop workload.

I mined till it wasn't profitable, cleaned all my cards well, and sold them off. Not a single one of the cards I sold has had any issue whatsoever. I'm not surprised by this either, all my cards ran at or under 60C constantly, low voltages, low core clocks, and fan curves tuned to minimize the noise and dust while maintaining low temps. I'm not alone with how I ran my cards, Tuning for temps, power usage and stability was the norm not the exception.

System Name Compy 386
Processor 7800X3D
Motherboard Asus
Cooling Air for now.....
Memory 64 GB DDR5 6400Mhz
Video Card(s) 7900XTX 310 Merc
Storage Samsung 990 2TB, 2 SP 2TB SSDs and over 10TB spinning
Display(s) 56" Samsung 4K HDR
Audio Device(s) ATI HDMI
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Razer
Software A lot.
Benchmark Scores Its fast. Enough.
I wouldn’t buy used for the time being unless I personally knew the seller and knew it wasn’t used for mining, both as I don’t want to buy problems for cheap and because miners deserve to lose all of their investment for generating nothing of value while consuming energy and driving up the cost of products for users.

System Name I don't name my systems.
Processor i3-12100F 'power limit removed'
Motherboard Asus Prime B660-PLUS D4
Cooling ID-Cooling SE 224 XT ARGB V3 'CPU', 4x Be Quiet! Light Wings + 2x Arctic P12 black case fans.
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4 3200MHz
Video Card(s) Asus TuF V2 RTX 3060 Ti @1920 MHz Core/950mV Undervolt
Storage 4 TB WD Red, 1 TB Silicon Power A55 Sata, 1 TB Kingston A2000 NVMe, 256 GB Adata Spectrix s40g NVMe
Display(s) 29" 2560x1080 75 Hz / LG 29WK600-W
Case Be Quiet! Pure Base 500 FX Black
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Hama uRage SoundZ 900+USB DAC
Power Supply Seasonic CORE GM 500W 80+ Gold
Mouse Canyon Puncher GM-20
Keyboard SPC Gear GK630K Tournament 'Kailh Brown'
Software Windows 10 Pro
My last brand new GPU was a GTX 950 when it was actually new, used that card for nearly 3 years but after that I stoped buying brand new cards as they are way too overpriced where I live and I'm not exactly rich.

Bought a second hand admittedly ex miner RX 570 but it sill had like 2+ years local-ish retail warranty left on it so I did not care much.
Used that card for almost 3 years then I took it apart and repasted it/changed pads and sold it on the same second hand market in a still solid working condition.

After that I bought a supposedly gamer EVGA FTW ACX GTX 1070 which was in a worse physical condition but the owner cleaned it out at least /repasted it and gave me some warranty, this one also worked fine and I ended up selling it 1+ year later when the prices finally started to go down. 'For this card I went to meet the seller in person actually and checked the card before buying'

Yet again I bought a second hand RTX 3060 Ti with a questionable background since its a LHR variant but again I was given warranty and the seller was reputable so I went for it.
Card came in a pretty much mint condition not even a scratch on it nor visible dust on it and worked right out of the box + I made sure to buy a model with a dual Bios switch in case the previous owner edited one of them but those also work the way they should.
Not long ago I've decided to take apart the card to repaste it cause the temps were going higher than normal, apparently the factory paste was a pretty bad quality one and it was completely dried out. 'probably it finished drying out while I was using it since it had good temps when I started using it'
Since the card was taken apart I took a good look at the PCB and everything else and it had no weird colored spots or anything and the pads are in good condition, simply repasted the card and it droped the temps by ~10 celsius or so and now its working perfectly. '~60C under load with 1400-1500 fan RPM max'

Second hand is alright just gotta do some research and make sure the seller is not a complete random with no or bad background on the site, luckily we have a pretty good second hand marketplace/forum in my country and so far everything I/my brother bought there worked fine.:) 'ppl take the positive/negative feedback pretty seriously there'

Last edited:
System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
I've said it before countless times, but "mined on" GPUs are exactly identical to ones that have been gamed on. There is no detectable difference - you have literally no way of knowing. The reason you have no way of knowing is because mining doesn't do anything different than any other use of a graphics card.

And I've said this countless times, this is and will always be false.

Cards that were mined on had their memory overclocked to hell at voltages out of spec and have been running like that 24/7 for months or years. That is a very different use case compared to a card that has been used to game on.

System Name Phenomenal1
Processor Ryzen 7 5800x3d
Motherboard MSI X570 Gaming Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s with added NF-A12x25 fan on front
Memory 32 GB - 2 x 16 GB Ripjaws V CL16 @ 3600
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080 10GB
Storage Boot SSD: SATA 500GB - 1tb pcie3 nvme / Spinning Drives: 1tb + 1tb + 1tb + 2tb + 6 tb
Display(s) Gigabyte M27Q 27" 1440P 170 Hz IPS BGR monitor
Case Montech X3 Mesh - Black
Audio Device(s) Realtek ALC1220P
Power Supply 750 Watt Antec Earthwatts - 4 rail
Mouse Razer Viper
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB
Software Windows 11
This whole "mined GPUs are risky" thing is bitterness from people who didn't mine.
Gddr6x runs quite hot to begin with, and since mining cards were run 24/7 with the vram overclocked with a decent percentage of them running close to, or at, 110c where it starts to degrade beyond that, which is close to the self-destruct temperature of 120c, I don't see how you can say it's not risky. With that in mind, I bought a used mining 3080 last october for $450 from a highly rated seller on ebay fully prepared to return it if anything didn't seem right. As soon as I got it I ran stress tests on it and the vram stayed under 90c no matter how hard I tortured it so the guy took precautions, especially since it's a dell 3080 which are actually great cards if you use the thermal paste trick to keep the vram cool which the guy did, and the vram runs extremely hot if you don't, so he took care of it. So if you practice due diligence you can get a great used mining card for cheap, but there's no way in hell you can say it's not risky.

And I've said this countless times, this is and will always be false.

Cards that were mined on had their memory overclocked to hell at voltages out of spec and have been running like that 24/7 for months or years. That is a very different use case compared to a card that has been used to game on.

Contrary to what many seem to believe, electrical components do not have feelings, they dont protest going to work, and they dont get tired. These components have a rated service temperature range, and a rated life within that range. If you dont run them outside of those ranges it is fine. I dont know of any miners at least on the hobbyist level that pushed their hardware to the limits. Uptime was king, nobody wanted to be constantly fiddling with unstable overclocks or configs. Every miner out there was willing to and did trade off a tiny bit of hashrate for stability.

As another user said "This whole "mined GPUs are risky" thing is bitterness from people who didn't mine." Your bitterness is showing.

System Name Phenomenal1
Storage Boot SSD: SATA 500GB - 1tb pcie3 nvme / Spinning Drives: 1tb + 1tb + 1tb + 2tb + 6 tb
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11
As another user said "This whole "mined GPUs are risky" thing is bitterness from people who didn't mine." Your bitterness is showing.
The article that this thread is about says that miners are painting gddr6x chips because they've turned yellow from overheating but you seem to be ignoring that.

The article that this thread is about says that miners are painting gddr6x chips because they've turned yellow from overheating but you seem to be ignoring that.
Are the chips non-functional or degraded in anyway? My statement can and was meant to apply to the original post as well.

You need to learn how to buy second hand stuff. It's not something for any novice, but you can always ask someone to help you test the card in person or if buying from Ebay you are pretty much covered by them. Also warranty is transferable in most places. So unless you can afford to buy new, learn to buy second hand or opened box/resealed items.

How on earth do you tell if a card from eBay has had a paint job? Or try going to someone's house who's advert you saw on Craigslist and ask them to take the cooler off to inspect the ram and gpu.
In 30 year selling I've never been asked or wanted to see the chips but if asked to see working and tested before purchase I am happy to.

System Name Phenomenal1
Mouse Razer Viper
Software Windows 11
Are the chips non-functional or degraded in anyway? My statement can and was meant to apply to the original post as well.
It seems to me that you seem to think that chips that are yellow from overheating can't possibly be degraded or non-functional. I know that some of these cards have had vram at 110c 24/7 for a long time because that's where they throttle. I've seen videos of miners who ran them like that so I've seen it with my own eyes. 120c is the temperature where they self destruct. And you're telling me that a chip that has been within 10 degrees of death and painted to look not-yellow are somehow perfectly fine. There's some reason that you're trying to convince everyone that there's nothing to see here, and I don't care what that reason is because I know better.

System Name The Captain (2.0)
Processor Ryzen 7 7700X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair X670E Hero (soon to be replaced by Gigabyte X670E AORUS Master)
Cooling 360mm Be Quiet! Pure Loop 2 FX, 4x Be Quiet! 140mm Silent Wings 4 (1x exhaust 3x intake)
Memory 32GB (2x16) G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo (6000Mhz)
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 3070 SUPRIM X
Storage 1x Crucial MX500 500GB SSD; 1x Crucial MX500 500GB M.2 SSD; 1x WD Blue HDD, 1x Crucial P5 Plus
Display(s) Aorus CV27F 27" 1080p 165Hz
Case Phanteks Evolv X (Anthracite Gray)
Power Supply Corsair RMx (2021) 1000W 80-Plus Gold
Mouse Varies based on mood; is currently Razer Basilisk V3; Basilisk Ultimate for gaming
Keyboard Varies based on mood; currently HyperX Alloy Origins 65

Direct quote from the article:

When GPU components, such as the die or GDDR memory, overheat, they can produce visual signs of damage, such as discoloration or melting.

I'd say that pretty much means the GPU die itself was degrading because it was turning yellow. If it wasn't degrading (turning yellow) the miners wouldn't be trying to repaint them.