• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cryptocoin Value and Market Trend Discussion

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Motherboard MSI X299 Xpower Gaming AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15S + Second Fan
Memory G.Skill 64GB @3200MHz XMP
Video Card(s) ASUS Strix RTX 3090 24GB
Storage 2TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus; 2TB Corsair Force MP600; 2TB Samsung PM981a
Display(s) Dell U4320Q; LG 43MU79-B
Case Corsair A540
Audio Device(s) Creative Lab SoundBlaster ZX-R
Power Supply EVGA G2 1300
Mouse Logitech MK550
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum XT Brown Switches
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
Of course you can adjust the time period of the charts to show there are more money supply than ever. The US Gov pumped $8 trillion into the economy since the pandemics. So many ways to spin stats and charts. But since Jan 2022, after the Fed has raised the interest rate, M1 and M2 are down.

M3 is no longer published by the US Central Banks. Money deposited into the banks, while still out there, are not in "circulation" buying stuff and causing inflation.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Motherboard Asus Z690-Plus TUF Gaming WiFi D5
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer 2 240mm AIO
Memory PNY MAKO DDR5-6000 C36-36-36-76
Video Card(s) PowerColor Hellhound 6700 XT 12GB
Storage WD SN770 512GB m.2, Samsung 980 Pro m.2 2TB
Display(s) Acer K272HUL 1440p / 34" MSI MAG341CQ 3440x1440
Case Montech Air X
Power Supply Corsair CX750M
Mouse Logitech MX Anywhere 25
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys
Software Lots
Combined with famine and war.

Maybe not in the west, we're too insulated and typically exporters of food, but we'll certainly see problems.

Hopefully Crypto sticks around, it's useful for keeping money honest (theoretically).

Yes, it's not something I hope for an for the most part, not something I'm prepared for. I expect the Fed to get this under control. The problem I see, is that there is tremendous political pressure on them to do things that will *not* get it under control.

The big thing here is, in not inflation adjusted terms, the formulae for GDP is Velocity of money X Money supply. They jacked up money supply to the moon to get GDP to recover.

Their problem now is velocity picking up. They can lower velocity by raising rates, but while there is that much extra cash floating around you can bet at some point it will get unleashed. Something will happen, some market(s) will go nuts to the upside and the banks will throw their money out there, or supply will crater on something and they'll throw their money at that. They have to remove the cash.

Of course you can adjust the time period of the charts to show there are more money supply than ever. The US Gov pumped $8 trillion into the economy since the pandemics. So many ways to spin stats and charts. But since Jan 2022, after the Fed has raised the interest rate, M1 and M2 are down.

M3 is no longer published by the US Central Banks. Money deposited into the banks, while still out there, are not in "circulation" buying stuff and causing inflation.

So you admit that the money is still there. That was my point. Interest rates do not reduce money supply, they reduce velocity of money which tamps down on GDP and demand. The Fed selling its assets does remove money. They bought treasuries with newly printed money. They remove money by selling those treasuries they bought, the money they are paid is destroyed.

That asset sale, 300B so far, is what reduced money supply. This isn't that hard.

If you want to get into more detail, look for the answer to these two questions :
What happens to the interest paid on treasuries that the Fed holds?
Where does the money to pay banks 3.8% on the 2T they have deposited with the Fed come from?

The answer to both of those questions is inflationary.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R20 - 6910; FireStrike Ultra - 13241; TimeSpy Extreme - 10067; Port Royal - 13855
Yes, it's not something I hope for an for the most part, not something I'm prepared for. I expect the Fed to get this under control. The problem I see, is that there is tremendous political pressure on them to do things that will *not* get it under control.

The big thing here is, in not inflation adjusted terms, the formulae for GDP is Velocity of money X Money supply. They jacked up money supply to the moon to get GDP to recover.

Their problem now is velocity picking up. They can lower velocity by raising rates, but while there is that much extra cash floating around you can bet at some point it will get unleashed. Something will happen, some market(s) will go nuts to the upside and the banks will throw their money out there, or supply will crater on something and they'll throw their money at that. They have to remove the cash.

So you admit that the money is still there. That was my point. Interest rates do not reduce money supply, they reduce velocity of money which tamps down on GDP and demand. The Fed selling its assets does remove money. They bought treasuries with newly printed money. They remove money by selling those treasuries they bought, the money they are paid is destroyed.

That asset sale, 300B so far, is what reduced money supply. This isn't that hard.

If you want to get into more detail, look for the answer to these two questions :
What happens to the interest paid on treasuries that the Fed holds?
Where does the money to pay banks 3.8% on the 2T they have deposited with the Fed come from?

The answer to both of those questions is inflationary.
But then you said someone is flat out wrong, even though in two articles that I posted, they said higher interest rates do reduce the money supply. Hmmm :confused:

The answer is not as clear cut as you made it out to be. Both M1 and M2 are down.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
But then you said someone is flat out wrong, even though in two articles that I posted, they said higher interest rates do reduce the money supply. Hmmm :confused:

The answer is not as clear cut as you made it out to be. Both M1 and M2 are down.

If you actually read the article, it does not say that. You're over-simplifying it.

It's talking about Fed policy. When the Fed is raising rates, money supply "should go down" is what they say. That's because the Fed would be trying to do two things at once, raise rates and reduce money supply. They are not the same thing.

Like I said, the Fed already reduced money supply by 300B by selling assets.

And besides, as I said before when a bank deposits money at the Fed, that's not reflected in M1.
M1 "(1) currency outside the U.S. Treasury, Federal Reserve Banks, and the vaults of depository institutions"

That money that they exclude, it's still there.
If inflation spikes, and I as a banker can buy a AAA rated corporate bond with a 15% yield, I'm going to pull my money out of that Fed bank and buy that bond.

The Fed has other tools to remove money from general circulation. For example, they can require higher reserve amounts of banks. This would force the banks to deposit or otherwise keep a higher percentage of their deposits - not loan them out. They haven't taken those steps yet, which tells me something else is going on.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
If you actually read the article, it does not say that. You're over-simplifying it.

It's talking about Fed policy. When the Fed is raising rates, money supply "should go down" is what they say. That's because the Fed would be trying to do two things at once, raise rates and reduce money supply. They are not the same thing.

Like I said, the Fed already reduced money supply by 300B by selling assets.

And besides, as I said before when a bank deposits money at the Fed, that's not reflected in M1.
M1 "(1) currency outside the U.S. Treasury, Federal Reserve Banks, and the vaults of depository institutions"

That money that they exclude, it's still there.
If inflation spikes, and I as a banker can buy a AAA rated corporate bond with a 15% yield, I'm going to pull my money out of that Fed bank and buy that bond.

The Fed has other tools to remove money from general circulation. For example, they can require higher reserve amounts of banks. This would force the banks to deposit or otherwise keep a higher percentage of their deposits - not loan them out. They haven't taken those steps yet, which tells me something else is going on.

Of course I read the articles. Of course I know what I am talking about, because I worked in these fields. Higher interest rates should reduce money supply. They have an inverse relationship. I am not saying you are wrong, but the other guy is also not wrong. There is no clear cut answer to the question.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Of course I read the articles. Of course I know what I am talking about, because I worked in these fields. Higher interest rates should reduce money supply. They have an inverse relationship. I am not saying you are wrong, but the other guy is also not wrong. There is no clear cut answer to the question.

Interest rates by themselves do not reduce money supply. There's an assumption that other things are being done when people say that. Otherwise, you would be able to explain how a high interest rate removes money from the economy - but you won't be able to, because it doesn't.

As a point of fact, if done with no other policy changes, raising rates will increase money supply.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
Interest rates by themselves do not reduce money supply. There's an assumption that other things are being done when people say that. Otherwise, you would be able to explain how a high interest rate removes money from the economy - but you won't be able to, because it doesn't.

As a point of fact, if done with no other policy changes, raising rates will increase money supply.
They do. Both articles showed you how, years of working in this space showed me how.

Again, my final reply is, the answer is complicated.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
They do. Both articles showed you how, years of working in this space showed me how.

Again, my final reply is, the answer is complicated.

As what, a financial advisor? I've known many, they are mostly idiots, sorta like saying a real estate agent is a good person to talk to for a real estate investor.

I'm perfectly ok if people want to believe that fallacy. It is complicated, but raising rates merely means the Fed pays more interest on deposits from banks - that inflates money supply. That is a fact. Those deposits though, mean that money is stationary, it's not moving around in the broader economy. Its velocity is almost zero, except for the new money being printed to pay the banks the interest.

You haven't really said anything here to discount any of that. You just keep saying that interest rates lower money supply, with no facts or logic.

System Name Main System
Processor i9-10940x
Case Corsair A540
Mouse Logitech MK550
Software Windows 10 Pro
As what, a financial advisor? I've known many, they are mostly idiots, sorta like saying a real estate agent is a good person to talk to for a real estate investor.

I'm perfectly ok if people want to believe that fallacy. It is complicated, but raising rates merely means the Fed pays more interest on deposits from banks - that inflates money supply. That is a fact. Those deposits though, mean that money is stationary, it's not moving around in the broader economy. Its velocity is almost zero, except for the new money being printed to pay the banks the interest.

You haven't really said anything here to discount any of that. You just keep saying that interest rates lower money supply, with no facts or logic.
Both articles stated so. How much "facts" do I need to provide? If you are in any financial space, you would know that there are many factors that can make the economy move, but apparently you don't work in that space so it is okay. Even the Fed cannot just push a button and make the market moves the way they want.

I worked for a huge investment bank that shamelessly asked for government bailout, not a financial advisor.

Yo, you know I love a good inflation discussion like everyone else. Except... Cronos, Crypto.com's token, is collapsing right now. -51% in just the past week. You can also see the 1-month statistic to see how sharp of a dropoff this all is.

1668366576987.png

1668366670987.png

Big speculation that Crypto.com is the next exchange to go bust. I'm not sure how related they are to FTX / FTT or any of the stuff from last week, but this price action is pretty severe and bodes poorly for Crypto.com.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
Just saw coinbase is up almost 13% on friday. They're gonna gain a bunch of customers that fled FTX and flee crypto.com.

The best crypto investment right now is probably buying coinbase stock and not buying actual crypto.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
Yo, you know I love a good inflation discussion like everyone else. Except... Cronos, Crypto.com's token, is collapsing right now. -51% in just the past week. You can also see the 1-month statistic to see how sharp of a dropoff this all is.

View attachment 269841

View attachment 269842

Big speculation that Crypto.com is the next exchange to go bust. I'm not sure how related they are to FTX / FTT or any of the stuff from last week, but this price action is pretty severe and bodes poorly for Crypto.com.

I don't see why anyone would continue to use an *unregulated* crypto exchange, except pure convenience or stupidity, believing they can deliver on super high yields (20% some of them claim). I would imagine that all of them are frauds to varying degrees.

A savior for crypto, if it appears, will likely come from the regulated traditional investment companies. Ones that you can trust will not run off and do stupid things with your crypto, like apparently any of these exchange could do - and not even go to jail for it.

I imagine Fidelity will make money from the transactions themselves, scraping some fraction of a % for their service. That's what I would look for in this space, not some company promising 'yield' on your crypto. Paying 'yield' means they are investing your crypto, and they are unregulated, so they could be doing anything with it.

1668366962569.png

1668366936330.png

The best crypto investment right now is probably buying coinbase stock and not buying actual crypto.

Coinbase is -5% this past week and -75% year-to-date.

Coinbase is a play on volume. They make money the more people are buying/selling cryptocoins. Volume is down, SEVERELY down, all across the board. The number of cryptocoin users / traders has shrunk to massive lows. Bitcoin transactions-per-day have been declining all year long.

System Name [Daily Driver]
Processor [Ryzen 7 5800X3D]
Motherboard [Asus TUF GAMING X570-PLUS]
Cooling [be quiet! Dark Rock Slim]
Memory [64GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3600MHz (16GBx4)]
Video Card(s) [PNY RTX 3070Ti XLR8]
Storage [1TB SN850 NVMe, 4TB 990 Pro NVMe, 2TB 870 EVO SSD, 2TB SA510 SSD]
Display(s) [2x 27" HP X27q at 1440p]
Case [Fractal Meshify-C]
Audio Device(s) [Steelseries Arctis Pro]
Power Supply [CORSAIR RMx 1000]
Mouse [Logitech G Pro Wireless]
Keyboard [Logitech G512 Carbon (GX-Brown)]
Software [Windows 11 64-Bit]
A savior for crypto, if it appears, will likely come from the regulated traditional investment companies. Ones that you can trust will not run off and do stupid things with your crypto, like apparently any of these exchange could do - and not even go to jail for it.

That's already coinbase. It was shunned because it has higher fees, but being a publicly traded company it is held to a standard that the other exchanges are not.

They sent out an email after the FTX news dropped explaining this.

Coinbase is -5% this past week and -75% year-to-date.

Have you looked at the stock market? Everything is down, crypto is also shitting the bed. I'm just speaking in general terms that coinbase seems like the safer long term investment than any coin at the moment.

Have you looked at the stock market? Everything is down, crypto is also shitting the bed. I'm just speaking in general terms that coinbase seems like the safer long term investment than any coin at the moment.

If you started the year with $100,000 and invested into VTI, you'd be at $75,000. If you invested into COIN instead, you'd be at $25,000, or 3x worse than normal stock market stuff.

-------

Anyway, I have another topic for stocks: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...ccounts-bonds-stocks-options-and-more.298118/

You know what has done really well this past year? Cash, strangely enough. I've been holding some. Its the ol' bear strategy, hold cash through a crisis. Its an oldie but a goodie strategy. Anyway, I'd suggest we talk about stock market / bond market stuff in there rather than here.

This topic is nominally about cryptocoins. And the current big mover right now is crypto.com.

System Name Legion
Processor i7-12700KF
Case Montech Air X
Software Lots
This seems to be turning into a trend...

There is an old saying in the markets.

Panic early and beat the rush.

1668384523642.png

This is indicative to what I've been seeing on many threads :

1668384574563.png

1668384592767.png

1668384672391.png

The collapse of FTX is going to have far-reaching, long-term effects. BTC and ETH seem to be holding there value ok, but a lot of the rest are tanking severely.

The collapse of FTX is going to have far-reaching, long-term effects. BTC and ETH seem to be holding there value ok, but a lot of the rest are tanking severely.

In this light, withdrawals have been suspended to avoid fraud and exploitation.

Erm... bullshit. The only thing to fear is a bank-run, except pausing withdrawals will cause bankruns. I'm definitely getting that "domino effect" feeling, lots of different exchanges are looking bad right now, causing users to withdraw funds en masse, causing more crypto-tokens / exchanges to get into trouble. Good ol' fashioned bank run.

Apparently, AAX isn't related to FTX directly at least, in that AAX doesn't have any FTT or funds stored at FTX. So this is an example of that "far reaching" effect you're talking about.

If you think an exchange might have a similar model to FTX, leveraging client funds? Then it's quite rational to pull your money out.

If they're pausing withdrawals it's because they don't have the money?

System Name money pit..
Processor Intel 9900K 4.8 at 1.152 core voltage minus 0.120 offset
Motherboard Asus rog Strix Z370-F Gaming
Cooling Dark Rock TF air cooler.. Stock vga air coolers with case side fans to help cooling..
Memory 32 gb corsair vengeance 3200
Video Card(s) Palit Gaming Pro OC 2080TI
Storage 150 nvme boot drive partition.. 1T Sandisk sata.. 1T Transend sata.. 1T 970 evo nvme m 2..
Display(s) 27" Asus PG279Q ROG Swift 165Hrz Nvidia G-Sync, IPS.. 2560x1440..
Case Gigabyte mid-tower.. cheap and nothing special..
Audio Device(s) onboard sounds with stereo amp..
Power Supply EVGA 850 watt..
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Logitech K270
Software Win 10 pro..
Benchmark Scores Firestike 29500.. timepsy 14000..
it seems the herd is being culled.. bitcoin and eth have just had a slight uptick.. not much but noticeable..

trog

Processor Ryzen 5 5700x
Motherboard B550 Elite
Cooling Thermalright Perless Assassin 120 SE
Memory 32GB Fury Beast DDR4 3200Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 3060 ti gaming oc pro
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 1TB, WD SN850x 1TB, plus some random HDDs
Display(s) LG 27gp850 1440p 165Hz 27''
Case Lian Li Lancool II performance
Power Supply MSI 750w
Mouse G502
there is still a lot to go down for all the coins, and a lot more scams around crypto to go bust in the way. Fun times ahead

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
Just Waiting for the First State sponsered/controlled C Currency to go tits-up Crystal bollocks says it will eventualy happen

it seems the herd is being culled.. bitcoin and eth have just had a slight uptick.. not much but noticeable..

trog
It was a slight bounce-back. Everything seemed to have had one.
there is still a lot to go down for all the coins, and a lot more scams around crypto to go bust in the way. Fun times ahead
Things have stabilized for the moment, but you're right, every thing could take a big tumble.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches + PBT DS keycaps
Software Gentoo Linux x64
Just Waiting for the First State sponsered/controlled C Currency to go tits-up Crystal bollocks says it will eventualy happen
That would really require the state going tits up, which given the right country, could happen, but it wouldn't really be the currencies fault.

If the state controls the chain, then you can only blame the state.