• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crysis finally playable (Benchmark GTX 580 SLI)

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
No my argument was after three years it still barley breaks 60 FPS maxed out. However Ben explained why. Do I still think the game is coded badly? No. What I do think is someone should lose their job at Crytek for estimating the industry would take a different route then it did.

I could still call Crisis fail because of this fact and that no one else decided to use this engine because of its failure of vision. But then again you all would say its not their fault they built a boat with no water to put it in. Its still the best boat there is and its the worlds fault for not developing correctly :laugh:

So your argument is that if the developers of Crysis had artifically limitted what the engine was capable of when releasing Crysis, then Crysis and the engine wouldn't have been a failure in your eyes? Do you really think that is the best most logical approach?

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
there is no performance bottleneck in the engine itself theres only so much info a damn cpu can provide the game itself it was you who stated that DX9/10 can only supply 1 thread for rendering well if youve worked in 3D and realized what is on the plate its gonna take more then what the current DX at the time offered. It is highly likely that if CryEngine 2 had been done with DX11 aka today then no one would have complained then again who knows what DX10 could have been? since it was changed to suit Nvidia at release so there was a DX10 gpu in time for Vista and we all know how that turns out. Theres alot of things that come into play. The major issue is cry engine 2 is just to heavy for the way DX handles its functions i explained some of this already and so did Bene earlier in the thread. Fact is you can make any game engine unoptimized or perform badly and those games dont even have Dynamic lighting systems.

Example Cry Engine 3 will be the first game engine every produced that offers a full global illumination in game will Crysis 2 use it fuck no but its there and its the first of its kind. This time around if utilizing DX11 with multi threaded rendering performance should be far more realistic.

After all it comes down to choices. what if crytek had never done a very high setting? as was stated earlier i also agree had high settings been max we wouldnt have this conversation

biggest performance issue is the lighting system in crysis

examples Unreal Engine 3 the lighting is entirely faked its pre baked into the textures etc for the game engine so light sources dont really do much as every thing is static and most of the work is pre done before its ever rendered change that to an approach that does it on the fly as your running and gunning its a completely different approach

much like ray tracing vs photon mapping for rendering in a 3D app for the most realistic form of lighting. Theres infinite choices and approaches but when your limited in how you can approach something and even more limited in how you can fix it you have to make do with what you got the fact the game scales on older harder is a testament to the effort put into it to an extent. Again anyone here who wants to complain a game is unoptimized or dosent run well seriously needs to go play Saints Row 2 on PC and after that tell me what a real unoptimized game is.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
you got it and lost it at the same time.

if its not CPU limited (spare cores) and its not GPU limited, then its engine limited for not being able to use multiple threads.

whats it engine? DX9 and 10 based. so yeah, its limited by its engine. if they remade it in DX11, we'd see different results.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
true but microsoft writes Direct X not crytek and last i remember Nvidia being unable to deliever all DX10 features resulted in a lesser version to fit both gpu maker *nvidia* and microsoft *vista launch* goals and not matter how you slice it it was a cluster fuck. That said Direct X is just a software layer so its not really engine limited its more at the time and Operating system limitiation in terms of what it allowed to be possible due to its programing now thats fixed which is fact but it took 4 years to get there and its far to late. Crysis 2 will be cryteks chance to basically say hey we got what we needed now we have the software interface layer to handle are engine will they? i dont know i dont work for them nor will i probably ever lol but point is blame is squarely on everyone in this situation

Crytek tried to guess what way the tech world would be headed

microsoft didnt think ahead in terms of DX10

Dx10 hardware was in its infancy DX9 they already knew didnt offer the proper threading for what they were trying to do. Its a perfect situation for a shit storm and thats what happened. My guess is tho we wont see that situation again as i highly doubt in todays age with the cost of development that few companies will have the grunt to push things forward we are ever so slowly grinding to a halt in terms of advancement. Both Hardware Software Creativity and Scope.

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
regardless of which piece of the engine is the problem and who made that piece, its still the engine at fault.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
well then i guess we should all use Open Gl so theres no bottleneck :roll:

point is people can bitch and complain that the GAME is unoptimized but its not true and that was the whole real point eitherway this has dragged on way to long and the thread should probably just be closed to be blunt.

Benetanegia

regardless of which piece of the engine is the problem and who made that piece, its still the engine at fault.

No not at all. It depends on the setting you use. You can have the game playing on High instead of Very High and it will be completely smooth on todays hardware, plus it will still look much better than 95% of new games and technically superior to 100% of them. What's more, you can tweak the hell out of the graphic related Cvars and make it look almost as good as Very High while running better than stock High settings.

The values (precision, accuracy, resolution, you name it) of the graphics and physics related Cvars in Very High are actually 4x times higher than on High. Difference between Medium and high is a max of 2x, but most Cvars are either the same or only a little bit higher. Your typical game/engine distributes the options linearly, medium is 25% better than low, high is 25% more than medium and very high is 25% higher than high. Crysis is something like low +50%-> medium +25%-> high +200%-> very high. i.e it's been 3 years so I don't remember the actual Cvar, but there's one that limited how many dynamic light sources could affect a pixel or something like that and values were 1, 2, 4, 16, respectively. (Settings for nearly every other game egines are 1,1,1,1 and 1 respectively.)

Another one was the number of "photons" to be jittered per pixel (or per quad, 2x2 pixels not sure) for calculating the lighting. Think of it like antialiased lighting, so that light and reflections have no hard edges (so far the only game with this from what I've seen). Once again values were 4, 16, 32 and 128 respectively iirc. (Other games = 1,1,1,1,1.)

They did so because it was supposed to be the definitive setting. Crysis High is already much better looking than any other game released in 2007-2009, you were just not supposed to actually game on Very High except for benchmarking purposes really and eventually you would be able to play it, like you are able to run it now since HD58xx and GTX400. But that's something Crytek already said when they launched it and the actual reason that Very High was not available in DX9 mode. I know they told a different story, but that was pure marketing based on deal with M$ and Nvidia. It was actually the same thing with Farcry and id did the same with Doom3, and pretty much any other of their games. It's just that hardware (including and specially CPUs) evolved so much faster back in the day.

And like those cvars above there were many many others. You could say it was not very well "optimized" if you think that optimizing is equal to "fitting certain quality settings to available hardware" (aka lowering settings until it fits) instead of what optimizing actually is, which is making code run faster so that you do't have to lower the settings.

Crysis code is brilliant, because of how much it does on the available hardware. And yes available hardware means the hardware that is actually exposed via DX9, which means no multi-threading on the rendering code and many other limitations. Crytek could have created 28 threads, that wouldn't change the fact that until DX11 the rendering is single threaded and will always be tightly tied to single core performance which is almost the same now as it was 5 years ago, when the engine was created.

I'm sorry, but in 2004/2005 no one really thought that we would hit a wall at 3-4 Ghz, not even Intel nor AMD thought that or they wouldn't have gotten caught in the multi-core race, once the mhz race ended so abruptly. It's not until i7 that Intel did small improvements to single core performance and the only true work on that front is AMD's Bulldozer, and we have yet to see if it really improves single threaded performance and by how much.

Last edited:
Thread is still going on? Ha!

Give me "anytime" an "unoptimized engine" that is beautiful, and stuff the "optimized engine" that is corridor-based, always dark, unable to display open and daylight scenarios, read: the 'heavenly' 'divine' 'godly' *old* Quake and Unreal engineered games.

VIVA CRYTEK : )

As of today, Crysis is or must be perfectly playable, I believe, as I played it slightly below the max settings years ago. This bitching is like buying a sportsbike or car and complain that there are no roads to set it at full speed in your fkkg country, LOL

For sure it is not the "ENGINE's" fault, LOLLOL

Last edited:

Benetanegia

Thread is still going on? Ha!

Give me "anytime" an "unoptimized engine" that is beautiful, and stuff the "optimized engine" that is corridor-based, always dark, unable to display open and daylight scenarios, read: the 'heavenly' 'divine' 'godly' *old* Quake and Unreal engineered games.

VIVA CRYTEK : )

As of today, Crysis is or must be perfectly playable, I believe, as I played it slightly below the max settings years ago. This bitching is like buying a sportsbike or car and complain that there are no roads to set it at full speed in your fkkg country, LOL

For sure it is not the "ENGINE's" fault, LOLLOL

That's another way of saying it. hehehehe ;)

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Motherboard Asus Rog b450-f
Cooling Cooler master 120mm aio
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3x 3070
Storage 2tb intel nvme and 2tb generic ssd
Display(s) Generic dell 1080p overclocked to 75hz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Power Supply 650w of borderline fire hazard
Mouse Some wierd Chinese vertical mouse
Keyboard Generic mechanical keyboard
Software Windows ten
Cheers for that post up there Benetanegia, I knew the engine was scalable but I didn't realise to such an extent. Really handy info.

Is it possible to patch games to newer versions of DX or no?

System Name Grandpa
Processor i5 4690K
Motherboard Gigabyte Z97X-UD5H-BK
Cooling water
Memory 8GB Corsair Vengence 2400MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte 5850 x2
Storage Samsung SM951
Display(s) Catleap 27"
Case coolermaster stacker
Power Supply corsair AX860i
Mouse logitech g5 original
Keyboard Ducky
Software Windows 8.1
For me, the questions that always popped up in my head with Crysis since it the day it came out was whether or not the game was poorly coded or was it just that the game was ahead of it's time to the point where we wouldn't be able to see reasonable frames until hardware matured. And it might of been a little of both, it's taken about 3 years to really see Crysis get dismantled, yet the issue is basically non existent in current hardware, my GTX 470 can max Crysis with a reasonable framerate, but this couldn't have been said with the high end 8800's back in '07. But again, the fact that it's taken this long to see this feat be accomplished tells me a different story.

Don't forget what has been said about monitor size. I was able to play the game at about 20-30 fps with a 8800 ultra, but the screen was a 1280*960 CRT. the motion blur stuff took care of the rest. I thought the AI in the game was a bit stupid but in retrospect, that probably also helped make the game playable. I liked the game and enjoyed playing it.

I do not think I'd like to play it online, on my current monitor or with bots that could aim. I'm firmly a 60fps type of gamer these days.

Benetanegia

Is it possible to patch games to newer versions of DX or no?

Yes and no. It is posible, but it is not profitable to do so. It's actually a cost that is really hard to justify. In order to gain any advantages from the new DX iteration it would require to code most of the engine again, and ultimately it may even be easier to start from scratch. Besides creating the code itself is not what costs more in terms of time and people, it is testing and bug fixing and tbh that's time better spent creating a new engine/game if you are a game developer.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
Yes and no. It is posible, but it is not profitable to do so. It's actually a cost that is really hard to justify. In order to gain any advantages from the new DX iteration it would require to code most of the engine again, and ultimately it may even be easier to start from scratch. Besides creating the code itself is not what costs more in terms of time and people, it is testing and bug fixing and tbh that's time better spent creating a new engine/game if you are a game developer.

That's a shame.

Ahh well I can always hope that one day processing power is great enough for the computer it's self to update the software autonomously to match it. ( I can dream!)

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
crysis was full of bugs which made the fps slower than what they should of been crysis warhead fixed most of those bugs, you will find you should get better fps in crysis warhead on the same settings.

System Name My pc
Processor Ryzen 5 3600
Memory 16gb ddr4 3200mhz
Case Phanteks enthoo
Software Windows ten
crysis was full of bugs which made the fps slower than what they should of been crysis warhead fixed most of those bugs, you will find you should get better fps in crysis warhead on the same settings.

I thought in warhead they done things like reduced the amount of ambient animations and reduced the lighting effects by default etc.

Benetanegia

I thought in warhead they done things like reduced the amount of ambient animations and reduced the lighting effects by default etc.

Yep. Probably a little bit of both things actually. But Crysis > Warhead, that for sure, although many people think that Warhead actually looks better. Same as BFBC2 looking better than Crysis, it's subjective, although maybe overally right in the sense that large scale subjectivity makes for an objective common POV.

On Warhead they added a higher ammount of (less accurate) effects and made them more pronounced and "spectacular". IMO although in some aspects more beautiful and eyecatching, Warhead looks far more cartoonish and CG/game-ish, as opposed to Crysis which aimed at realism.

And that trait was actually extended to all the facets of the game. Like gameplay or AI, which was made more straight forward and action based, but IMO less genuine and attractive. I enjoyed Warhed, but to me it was just another generic FPS, unlike Crysis which was unique and different, but I like that kind of things.

For me a game doesn't even have to be fun to be good, in the most generic meaning of fun. I approach games as I'd approach a film or a novel, I want them to make me feel something, something I would not usually feel in real life (i.e no drama please, and no I love you much I love you too either), but I don't want to just kill kill kill, I want to think too. IMO the best games released "lately" have been Crysis, Metro2033, Cryostasis (yeah you read it right) and Mafia 2, in no particular order. There's been some others, but most of the rest have felt "hollow" to me, completely insipid.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

Yeah, basically in Warhead they artificially limitted the engine to make people happy. No real optimization was done beyond that.

Not really the best thing to do, IMO, because it hinders progress and developement of technology and better IQ in games, but I guess it is what has to be done to shut the whiney bitches that can't max it on their rigs up.

DrPepper

The Doctor is in the house
System Name Rusky
Processor Intel Core i7 D0 3.8Ghz
Motherboard Asus P6T
Cooling Thermaltake Dark Knight
Memory 12GB Patriot Viper's 1866mhz 9-9-9-24
Video Card(s) GTX470 1280MB
Storage OCZ Summit 60GB + Samsung 1TB + Samsung 2TB
Display(s) Sharp Aquos L32X20E 1920 x 1080
Case Silverstone Raven RV01
Power Supply Corsair 650 Watt
Software Windows 7 x64
Benchmark Scores 3DMark06 - 18064 http://img.techpowerup.org/090720/Capture002.jpg

All the bugs were fixed with patches.

I can't think of many if any bugs that are still in the game. Also check Benetenegia's excellent post on why it's slow.

Processor Intel Core i9 10980XE @ 4.7Ghz 1.2v
Motherboard ASUS Rampage VI Extreme Omega
Cooling EK-Velocity D-RGB, EK-CoolStream PE 360, XSPC TX240 Ultrathin, EK X-RES 140 Revo D5 RGB PWM
Memory G.Skill Trident Z RGB F4-3000C14D 64GB
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix GeForce RTX 4090 OC WC
Storage M.2 990 Pro 1TB / 10TB WD RED Helium / 3x 860 2TB Evos
Display(s) Samsung Odyssey G7 28"
Case Corsair Obsidian 500D SE Modded
Power Supply Cooler Master V Series 1300W
Software Windows 11
All the bugs were fixed with patches.

I can't think of many if any bugs that are still in the game. Also check Benetenegia's excellent post on why it's slow.

even after the patches there was still a big list of errors read by the console on load.