Discussion in 'Games' started by natr0n, Jun 11, 2012.
Crytek is done.
Is there any money in F2P?
I really hate this news, love the first crysis and warhead, crysis 2 is a good game but i don't think the graphics as awesome
Considering how many f2p-titles there are out there I'd say yes. Just look at league of legends. Riot games is making a killing sellings skins and champions in the in-game store.
Stupid. If they'd just make a proper payable game and they'd run the business perfectly fine. But with idiotic launch of crippled Crysis 2, they lost many customers. I was stupid enough to pre-order Crysis 2 but i don't even think i'll buy Crysis 3. They nailed their own coffin. Pirates and god knows what else excuse wasn't the reason... With F2P model, i doubt that i'll even be interested in their stuff. Paying loads of cash for every stupid small thing will in the end milk users even more than full priced buggy game. Not sure if i want that...
Nope, not at all. Should of seen this coming from crytek after crysis 2..
1) Step on own feet with a blatant cash grab, and call it Crysis 2.
2) Bemoan pirates and used game sales on crushing your industry.
3) Be slow to patch the game, and continue to have a broken multi-player experience.
4) Hope that the good will from the first game and warhead can bouy you through the lean times.
5) Discover that crappy games sell like crap, and discover that you can lose a lot of money.
6) Try to get into the F2P market, where quality issues can be overlooked because it's "free."
7) Know that your studio only had to release a similar quality game, but managed to fail at that. Realize that you're screwed, and will soon be another vestigial arm of the EA monster.
Seriously though, this isn't a surprise. Crytek has been decent at building engines, but they haven't really hit the mark since Crysis 1. Once they lost the drive to produce a quality product, they sealed their own fate. I've read the big talk about a quality experience, but very little leads me to believe that Crytek learned their lesson...
As Digibucc said, F2P can be very good gaming. I agree that games can arise from F2P that rival, or beat, a paid game. My issue is that Crytek has shown that they put little concern into games that require an up-front investment. That kind of lack-luster care, combined with blatant bashing of the gaming community as a "den of thieves and pirates," and my faith has completely evaporated.
I wonder what or shall i say who they'll blame when their F2P model will fail. They won't be able to blame pirates this time...
free to play doesn't have to be horrible - that being said, i have absolutely no trust that Crytek will do it right. I also don't really care if they fail, as Crysis 2 and their attitudes towards pc gamers during crysis 2's dev/release were more than enough to let me know they are not a group of people worthy of my money.
loool. First they blame pc gaming industry for small profits, then they go multiplatform to rake in more cash. Now they go free to play? Silly Crytek
Separate names with a comma.