• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Crytek Releases 8K Crysis Remastered Trailer

The textures are magnificent, the particles look good too so do the reflections, but the models lack polygons, a lot of them.
I have a question though, how in the name of all that's holy in Chrome (8K) my hopeless RX5700 drops frames like hell, but in edge it works smoothly??
No issue here with Chrome and an 8 year old CPU (2600K) but I have a 2060 Super.

While this is a good game back in the old days, remaking it is just trying to milk it further without going through as much effort as creating a new game. Also, I feel most people are likely just using this to see how "good" their graphics is, rather than enjoying the gameplay.

System Name BUBSTER
Processor I7 13700K (6.1 GHZ XTU OC)
Motherboard Z690 Gigabyte Aorus Elite Pro
Cooling Arctic Freezer II 360 RGB
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4 4800MHz 2x16GB
Video Card(s) Asus GeForce RTX 3070 Super Dual OC
Storage Kingston KC 3000 PCIE4 1Tb + 2 Kingston KC 3000 1TB PCIE4 RAID 0 + 4 TB Crucial gen 4 +12 TB HDD
Display(s) Sony Bravia A85 j OLED
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Asus Xonar Essence STX II
Power Supply Corsair AX 850 Titanium
Mouse Corsair Gaming M65 Pro RGB + Razr Taipan
Keyboard Asus ROG Strix Flare Cherry MX Red + Corsair Gaming K65 lux RGB
Software Windows 11 Pro x64
I have to agree - although I have nothing against the remastered Crysis, it's a fact that out of all the games from that era (and quite a bit later as well) it almost certainly needs it the least. Just the other day I was at a friend's place and he had just installed it again (exactly in anticipation of the remaster - he's a huge fan of the series which I've never really been) and I have to say, it still looks great at 1440p and everything maxed out. The only real problem is its incredible single thread dependency - you rarely see more than 70 fps in most cases, unless looking at the sky (this wasn't helped by his 3700x, but still, I've never really seen more than about 85 anyway, regardless of cpu)
I get 80-90 Fps on 4K ultra on most games (SLI tweaked by Studio /developer)...something to do with settings perhaps???

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Actually, you need to adjust yours. I'm not tying myself to a store, Epic is removing any choice for the consumer to buy a game (they didn't develop or publish) from other stores. There aren't many game stores, but there are certainly more than one, though that's not the case when Epic steals preorders for games out from under other stores they may have already been set up for presale at. That is the definition of anticompetitive. Don't try to claim "But the developers get more money from Epic!" Sure that's all well and good, but consumers as a group only care about price and availability. As a large group they do not care about the conditions behind that game... see Walmart's rise to retail dominance as an example of this group behavior. No one has boycotted any of the other game stores, including brick and mortar, because they collect 30% of the game revenue. Seriously, I have no idea how any of you Epic supporters can pull off these mental gymnastics to defend the removal of consumer choice as somehow being better than having an actual non-binary choice.

No. Just no. Sorry. Customer choice also means not buying. This will urge publishers to sell their content elsewhere and that will change competitiveness of EGs. That is how the market of supply and demand works. The publishers in the end want your dollar.

So far, it seems EGS is quite successful in tying customers to its platformand publishers are happy as their risk is substantially lower . Customers are winning free games that also serve to drive sales. All I see here is a successful business model with all stakeholders getting what they want. Thats the vakue of 13% right there, landing in everyones lap.

Everything else is emotion and therefore irrelevant. Nobody lost anything here and if you think you do, you really need to get help.

Last edited:
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Audio Device(s) Creative Sound Blaster AE-5
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
Actually, you need to adjust yours. I'm not tying myself to a store, Epic is removing any choice for the consumer to buy a game (they didn't develop or publish) from other stores. There aren't many game stores, but there are certainly more than one, though that's not the case when Epic steals preorders for games out from under other stores they may have already been set up for presale at. That is the definition of anticompetitive. Don't try to claim "But the developers get more money from Epic!" Sure that's all well and good, but consumers as a group only care about price and availability. As a large group they do not care about the conditions behind that game... see Walmart's rise to retail dominance as an example of this group behavior. No one has boycotted any of the other game stores, including brick and mortar, because they collect 30% of the game revenue. Seriously, I have no idea how any of you Epic supporters can pull off these mental gymnastics to defend the removal of consumer choice as somehow being better than having an actual non-binary choice.
Drugs are bad.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 3700X
Motherboard MSI MAG B550 TOMAHAWK
Cooling AMD Wraith Prism
Memory Team Group Dark Pro 8Pack Edition 3600Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080 FE
Storage Kingston A2000 1TB + Seagate HDD workhorse
Display(s) Samsung 50" QN94A Neo QLED
Case Antec 1200
Power Supply Seasonic Focus GX-850
Mouse Razer Deathadder Chroma
Keyboard Logitech UltraX
Software Windows 11
Boring remake. Meh~

I love Crysis as much as the next man and was blown away at the time, but the remastered version still looks dated.

System Name Unreal Machine IV
Processor Ryzen 7 5700X
Motherboard Asrock 570X Taichi
Cooling Noctua U9S
Memory Team UD4-4000 @4000 CL18 1:1
Video Card(s) 5600XT Red Devil
Storage Kingston SSD 240GB + WD RED 4TB + WD Blue SN 550 Nvme 1TB X3
Display(s) DELL U2417H
Case Old school Termalthake xaser III black with lots of noctua 80mm fans
Audio Device(s) Creative SB X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Champion + Creative Inspire t7900 7.1 + Sony MDR-1A + AKG K-240
Power Supply Seasonic Prime GX-750
Mouse Logitech G502 hero SE
Keyboard Logitech
Software 10 pro
Benchmark Scores Cinebench R23 Multi ~15k 4.4Ghz all core Cinebench R23 single 1.5k 4.65Ghz
Firefox also hates 8k...
I guess not even on edge it plays well...

Processor Intel Core i7 2500K @ 5GHz 1.4v
Motherboard Asrock Z77E-ITX
Cooling Corsair H60 with 2 x 120mm push/pull exhaust, 140mm intake
Memory 8GB Samsung 30nm DDR3 1600 @ 2133 9-10-10-20-1t 1.45v
Video Card(s) Asus Geforce 480 GTX w/low idle voltage BIOS
Storage 128GB Plextor M3P SSD, 3 x 2TB Hitachi 5400rpm in RAID0
Display(s) 2x eMachines 22" 1080p LCDs
Case Lian Li Q08A Mini-ITX
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Corsair AX750 80Plus Gold
Software Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Customer choice also means not buying.

Wow, that's a terrible argument. "Hey you used to have three+ places to buy this game that you were really looking forward to, now they're unavailable and you can only go to this one place to get it. They support developers, by giving them a larger cut, but you will still pay full price. Or you can wait a year for the game to be available at those other places. Don't like it? Don't buy it." That's not consumer choice. You really have no idea what anti-competitive means. There are many scenarios that describe anti-competitive business behavior and what Epic does with pre-orders is just one of them. Whether they remove the ability of one specific competitor, or many to sell the same product, it's textbook anti-competitive behavior. It doesn't matter what their public justification for doing this is, it's anti-competitive. There is no argument you can make otherwise.

Customers are winning free games that also serve to drive sales.

You speculate quite bit without evidence. There are many people who haven't spent a penny on the Epic store, they just collect the free games. That's exactly what they don't want. There are also people who are going to buy a particular game no matter what, whether it's on EGS, Steam, Windows Store, etc. But there are also many people who now won't buy the game at all, pirate it instead, or will wait a year for the exclusivity to end on the EGS simply because they don't like what Epic is doing.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Wow, that's a terrible argument. "Hey you used to have three+ places to buy this game that you were really looking forward to, now they're unavailable and you can only go to this one place to get it. They support developers, by giving them a larger cut, but you will still pay full price. Or you can wait a year for the game to be available at those other places. Don't like it? Don't buy it." That's not consumer choice. You really have no idea what anti-competitive means. There are many scenarios that describe anti-competitive business behavior and what Epic does with pre-orders is just one of them. Whether they remove the ability of one specific competitor, or many to sell the same product, it's textbook anti-competitive behavior. It doesn't matter what their public justification for doing this is, it's anti-competitive. There is no argument you can make otherwise.

You speculate quite bit without evidence. There are many people who haven't spent a penny on the Epic store, they just collect the free games. That's exactly what they don't want. There are also people who are going to buy a particular game no matter what, whether it's on EGS, Steam, Windows Store, etc. But there are also many people who now won't buy the game at all, pirate it instead, or will wait a year for the exclusivity to end on the EGS simply because they don't like what Epic is doing.

But you didn't have three+ places to buy said content before EGS either. You're living in fantasy land here. GOG has its exclusive content, for example in the shape of its retro gaming catalog that is all made to run on recent OS'es. Steam has a certain form of exclusivity through its long term investment in distribution, developers simply find it first because its too big to ignore, and generally only release on Steam because of the framework it offers them. At the same time, this enslaves them to the 30% cut. Steam also carves out a form of exclusivity through VR content. EGS is now another option for each of these developers. Thát is where the competition is happening. Its not a competition for us consumerrs, its one between publishers and distributors. We can just sit on the sidelines, eat popcorn and enjoy the rain of free content that is falling off the competition train as these giants fight their battle. If store A has a discount, we can enjoy that discount over there, and when Store B fights back, we can go to store B. You're not restricted in any way.

Steam is going to have to make a move if EGS is here to stay and so far, even just riding on the prolonged Fortnite success, they can keep doing as they do for a loooong time.

You describe the existence of another competitor to the market for distribution, as anti-competitive. It is twisted logic, and you're free to think otherwise, but this is how the market works. There is no law preventing EGS doing what it does, just as there is no precedent for what, for example, Apple and Google do on their platforms, locking everything down with a hefty distribution fee and buying up start ups left and right. In that sense, EGS is playing it very nicely, giving each developer full freedom in what they want to push on the store, and supporting them financially in doing so.

As good as GOG is for retro gaming and 'ownership' of games, EGS is for the publishers under its wing and for diversity in games as a whole. You can either see it or you don't. It is what it is, boycot all you like, its going to be your loss, and yours alone.

System Name Main
Processor Ryzen 5800x
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus Pro rev1.1
Cooling Alphacool Eisbaer 280 w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 industrialPPC-2000 PWM
Memory Crucial Ballistix 32GB 3600@CL16 (2x16)
Video Card(s) Power Color Red Dragon RX 6800 XT @2600
Storage NVME: A-data SX8200 PRO 512 GB M2 +Gammix S11 Pro 1 TB M2 +Patriot 1 TB; 1 TB;HDD 3TB+2TB+4TB+8TB
Display(s) Lenovo Legion Y27q-20
Case Thermaltake Core X9
Power Supply Seasonic FOCUS GX GOLD 850W /UPS Mustek 1000 VA @600W
Mouse Steelseries Rival 110/Logitech G203
Keyboard HyperX Alloy Core RGB
Software W10 Enterprise

INSTG8R

Vanguard Beta Tester
System Name Hellbox 5.1(same case new guts)
Processor Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard MSI X570S MAG Torpedo Max
Cooling TT Kandalf L.C.S.(Water/Air)EK Velocity CPU Block/Noctua EK Quantum DDC Pump/Res
Memory 2x16GB Gskill Trident Neo Z 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Powercolor Hellhound 7900XTX
Storage 970 Evo Plus 500GB 2xSamsung 850 Evo 500GB RAID 0 1TB WD Blue Corsair MP600 Core 2TB
Display(s) Alienware QD-OLED 34” 3440x1440 144hz 10Bit VESA HDR 400
Case TT Kandalf L.C.S.
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster ZX/Logitech Z906 5.1
Power Supply Seasonic TX~’850 Platinum
Mouse G502 Hero
Keyboard G19s
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Software Win 10 Pro x64
Processor Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard Asus TUF-Gaming B550-Plus
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB G.Skill Trident Z Neo F4-3600C16D-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) Sapphire Radeon Rx 580 Nitro+ 8GB
Storage HP EX950 512GB + Samsung 970 PRO 1TB
Display(s) HP Z Display Z24i G2
Case Fractal Design Define R6 Black
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 650W Gold
Mouse Roccat Kone AIMO Remastered
Software Windows 10 x64
I watched a few streams for a while, and while the textures do look great, the geometry is painfully shit at times. What kind of remaster is it with crappy 10+ years old meshes?