• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

CS:S Dedicated Server Port Issues.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Motherboard macbook prp retina
Cooling Alphacool NexXxoS Monsta (240mm x 120mm x 80mm)
Memory 16Gb
Video Card(s) Zotac Arctic Storm Nvidia 980ti
Display(s) 1x Acer XB270HU, 1x Catleap, 1x Oculus
Benchmark Scores http://www.3dmark.com/fs/770087
Hey,

I am trying to set up a Dedicated Server for Counter Strike Source and I am having trouble (I believe) with Ports.

Heres the info:

Router: Dlink DIW-615

I followed these tutorials:
FPS Banana CS:S Server Tutorial

Port Forwards DIR-615 CS Server Setup

Both of the above did not work so I tried what I have below in photos:

srcds.exe Can go through Windows Firewall no issues.

Photo of Firewall settings

The server works fine in my lan, but it cannot be connected to from an external user.

In SRCDS settings:
SV_Lan = 0
ClientPort = 27015

If anyone has any ideas im open to them!

I am trying to connect users via
myexternalip:myopenport/68.235.64.192:27015

Router Settings:

Connection Type : DHCP Client

QoS Engine : Active

Cable Status : Connected

Network Status : Established

Connection Up Time : 0 Days, 0:32:56

MAC Address : 00:1F:C6:0C:Fx:xx

Authentication & Security :

IP Address : 172.29.9x.xxx

Subnet Mask : 255.255.25x.xxx

Default Gateway : 172.29.9x.xxx

Primary DNS Server : 192.168.20x.xxx

Secondary DNS Server : 192.168.20x.xxx

MAC Address : 00:21:91:DC:6x:xx

IP Address : 192.168.x.x

Subnet Mask : 255.255.25x.x

Default Gateway : 0.0.0.0

Primary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0

Secondary DNS Server : 0.0.0.0

DHCP Server : Enabled
Wireless LAN

Wireless Radio : Enabled

MAC Address : 00:21:91:DC:67:89

Network Name (SSID) : internet

Channel : 6

Security Mode : Disabled

Wi-Fi Protected Setup : Enabled/Configured

Thanks,

Last edited:

streetfighter 2

http://canyouseeme.org/ Will help you diagnose problems with your router/firewall port problems.

Did you allow the port for srcds in your Windows firewall for all connections (not just subnet)? (It appears you did, I'm asking anyway...)

Since you're running srcds on a DHCP network you have to launch srcds with "+ip 192.168.X.X" where the 'X's pertain to your DHCP assigned IP address. It's always a good idea to have "-port 27015" in there (which obviously changes if you change the port).

I've noticed that for unknown reasons some routers will not forward for source servers and you may need to try putting your computer in the DMZ or completely bypass the router with a dual-ethernet configuration on the server computer.

Alternatively some ISPs just block 27015 so you can run your server on another port instead, say 27050. You'll need to forward the port in your router config to your computer and then open that port on your computer. When you start srcds make sure to add "-port 27050" to the launch command.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
check the source forums for more info. i know that when you execute the server you need to specify the port you are using. obviously make sure you are forwarding the right set of ports to the right client. also, make sure you specify TCP, UDP or both.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Thanks for your responses.

http://canyouseeme.org/ Will help you diagnose problems with your router/firewall port problems.
I will take a look at this and see what it says

Did you allow the port for srcds in your Windows firewall for all connections (not just subnet)? (It appears you did, I'm asking anyway...)
I did indeed sir, I will post a screen shot in a moment.

Since you're running srcds on a DHCP network you have to launch srcds with "+ip 192.168.X.X" where the 'X's pertain to your DHCP assigned IP address. It's always a good idea to have "-port 27015" in there (which obviously changes if you change the port).
Here is everything I have in my launch options:
Code:
C:\srcds\orangebox\srcds.exe -console -game cstrike +map de_dust -maxplayers 46 -autoupdate  -port 27015    -rcon_password ******
If I add +ip 66.249.68.xxx (or 192.16x.x.x) to the launch options I get the error "Couldn't allocate any server IP port"

I've noticed that for unknown reasons some routers will not forward for source servers and you may need to try putting your computer in the DMZ or completely bypass the router with a dual-ethernet configuration on the server computer.

Alternatively some ISPs just block 27015 so you can run your server on another port instead, say 27050. You'll need to forward the port in your router config to your computer and then open that port on your computer. When you start srcds make sure to add "-port 27050" to the launch command.
I am already in DMZ and I did try 27005 without any better luck.
I was kinda hoping I made a mistake with Port forwarding as that would be an easy fix.

check the source forums for more info. i know that when you execute the server you need to specify the port you are using. obviously make sure you are forwarding the right set of ports to the right client. also, make sure you specify TCP, UDP or both.
I have not posted there yet, I will do that soon if I can't get it working.
I did specify the port in the launch options. Im looking for any more info I can give you.

Last edited:

streetfighter 2

As I said it has to be your LAN IP (the one provided by the DHCP service on your network [192.168.X.X]) that is added on the command line with the "+ip" switch (NOT your external IP). I know this sounds odd but it is necessary to run an srcds server when connected through a router when you are not in the DMZ.

Your external IP would work provided you were the first computer jacked into the modem and all other computers were attached to your computer.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
As I said it has to be your LAN IP (the one provided by the DHCP service on your network [192.168.X.X]) that is added on the command line with the "+ip" switch (NOT your external IP). I know this sounds odd but it is necessary to run an srcds server when connected through a router when you are not in the DMZ.

Your external IP would work provided you were the first computer jacked into the modem and all other computers were attached to your computer.

I get the same error with 192.168.0.1 as well. (My default gateway) (Updated above)

I am also already in DMZ mode.

My network config is 3 computers wired into the router and 2-4 wireless. The rig the server is on is wired into the router but it is not the only one.

Last edited:

streetfighter 2

For the love of god man, your server's LAN IP address, not your bloody router/gateway IP address. The IP address you get by running ipconfig and looking in the IPv4 row for the adapter you're using.

192.168.0.X where X is greater than 1 and less than 255.

EDIT: If the server computer is already in the DMZ in your router's settings then you don't need to configure port forwarding. (Any port forwarding rules you set should be void because the computer is already getting sent all packets the router receives regardless of whether they were destined for it or not.) Only thing then is that srcds is cleared through the firewall on the server computer. If setting "+ip 68.235.64.192" doesn't work when you're in the DMZ then set it to your server's LAN IP address as I've been trying to say for a while.

If that doesn't work then your router's DMZ must not be fully functional.

Last edited:
System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Alright with the ip4 in as its supposed to be the server starts up as it does with out an ip specified in the launch options.

I still cannot connect via "Connect 192.168.0.167:27015" in CSS.

I should be able to connect to the server that even though its local correct?

Thank you for helping me fix that.

DMZ photo:

Last edited:

streetfighter 2

I assume you are trying to connect from another computer on the LAN? If not then "connect 192.168.0.167:27015" will not work.

Even though you configured srcds with "+ip 192.168.0.167" you should still connect to it with the WAN IP address.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
I assume you are trying to connect from another computer on the LAN? If not then "connect 192.168.0.167:27015" will not work.

Even though you configured srcds with "+ip 192.168.0.167" you should still connect to it with the WAN IP address.

I will try it on another computer right now.

streetfighter 2

You cannot connect to a srcds server from the server itself. It has to be another computer.

This is where http://canyouseeme.org/ comes in handy. Try typing in 27015 (assuming thats the port you're using) and see if it can identify if your server is running.

Obviously everything needs to be configured properly and srcds needs to be running for the canyouseeme check to be successful.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
This is where http://canyouseeme.org/ comes in handy. Try typing in 27015 (assuming thats the port you're using) and see if it can identify if your server is running.

Obviously everything needs to be configured properly and srcds needs to be running for the canyouseeme check to be successful.

Something is not configured properly, it cannot see my service running.

You cannot connect to a srcds server from the server itself. It has to be another computer.

I can do that right now, it just shows up under lan and I have to connect from the 192.168.0.167:27015 instead of 68.

Last edited:
System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
EDIT:
Since I am in the DMZ I have removed my port forwards completely. After this CanYouSeeMe STILL cannot find 27015, which leads me to believe my DMZ does not actually work.

streetfighter 2

Something is not configured properly, it cannot see my service running.

Well then one or more of four things is true:
1) your ISP is blocking 27015
2) your firewall is blocking 27015
3) srcds is not running and/or not configured for 27015
4) your router's DMZ is not a true DMZ but a neutered version of a true DMZ

The fix for 1 is to change the server port.

The fix for 2 is to fix your firewall settings. (Windows 7 firewall is quite complicated.)

The fix for 3 is to not bother with "clientport" or "sv_lan". All you need is "-port" and "+ip" configured properly.

The fix for 4 is to either bypass the router (which is probably too complicated) or get another router.

I just changed my forewords from 192.168.0.1 to 192.168.0.167, that did not make it see the service either.

:laugh: Forwarding ports to your router is not going to do anything. You're supposed to forward external ports to internal ports on your computer (apparently 192.168.0.167). As I said earlier though, once in the DMZ, port forwarding is completely void.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
I will start by switching the server to 27005 from 27015 and see if it works.

streetfighter 2

I'm going to write a little tutorial on how to configure the Windows 7 firewall correctly for srcds. This'll take a second.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
I'm going to write a little tutorial on how to configure the Windows 7 firewall correctly for srcds. This'll take a second.

It cannot be seen on 27005 either, so it may be windows firewall...also after switching to 27005 I can't see the gam under my lan servers.

Thank you so much! :toast: (I will be up for a lot longer to so take your time)

Edit: I turned off Windows Firewall for a second and restarted the server, Open Port Check Could not find the server still. :nutkick:

Last edited:

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
I didnt read the whole thread but did you disable your windows and antivirus firewall? its kinda weird seeing this thread, i just setup a CS Condition Zero server for a friend so he could play at home with his kids and if someone online wanted to join they could. All i did was set his netgear router to DMZ and setup the console version of HLDS and then once we configured AMXmodx, we had a small killing spree before he went to bed. one main problem he had was windows firewall which took us about 25 min to figure out that was the problem of why i couldnt see the server from my house

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
I didnt read the whole thread but did you disable your windows and antivirus firewall? its kinda weird seeing this thread, i just setup a CS Condition Zero server for a friend so he could play at home with his kids and if someone online wanted to join they could. All i did was set his netgear router to DMZ and setup the console version of HLDS and then once we configured AMXmodx, we had a small killing spree before he went to bed. one main problem he had was windows firewall which took us about 25 min to figure out that was the problem of why i couldnt see the server from my house

I am waiting for street fighters tutorial, but yes I did disable the firewall and start the server to see what happened. I have Symmetric Endpoint Protection as well though, I will double check its not blocking anything.

System Name Livingston
Processor i7-4960HQ
Memory 16Gb
Yeah Console version (hence launch options)

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
you don't have to specify your IP address. when you launch the server it defaults to localhost and you are good to go. trust me, ive run many source dedicated servers. the port tho you must specify and since source rules are strange you may need to do +port 27015 rather than -port 27015. of course, this is on a linux server with no software firewall enabled.

also, in windows dont you need to configure a server.cfg file where you put all your server settings? make sure you include +execute server.cfg once you have done so.

streetfighter 2

Fuuuuuu I have too many tabs open and I just deleted everything I wrote. Guess I'll start again . . .

Streetfighter 2 presents How to Configure SRCDS in the Windows 7 firewall

1) Start by opening Windows Firewall with Advanced Security by pressing the windows key + r.

2) Type or copy the following into the run dialog then press enter:
Code:
%windir%\system32\WF.msc

3) Something like the following will pop up:

You can see in the picture that I have already added entries for SRCDS main and srcds RCON. Clients connect through any IP on the SRCDS main rule and I can more tightly control which IPs are allowed to use RCON through the srcds RCON rule. (You may also notice that both are configured for port 27050, that is because I used to run my server on port 27050.)

Notice also that the srcds rule has been blocked. This was the stock rule that Windows 7 tried to configure for me but it didn't give me much control and seemed to cause connection issues.​

4) Select "Inbound Rules" in the left hand column of the Windows Firewall with Advanced Security window. Then in the right hand column select "New Rule".

5) A window like the following will popup. We are going to first configure SRCDS main.

Select custom then click next.​

6)

Set it to program then input the directory for "srcds.exe". For me it is "%SystemDrive%\srcds\srcds.exe" but it may be different for you.​

7)

Set protocol to UDP and then configure it to the port you wish to use (27015 in the example). Remember that you'll have to come back into the firewall settings and change this port if you ever change the server port.​

8)For "Scope" use default settings (any IP address & any IP address).
For "Action" use the default settings (allow the connection).
For "Profile" use default settings (all checked).
For "Name" name it SRCDS main.​

9) Since you are behind a router you will need to change one setting manually. Right click on the SRCDS main entry you just created and click "Properties". In the "Advanced" tab make sure "Allow Edge Traversal" is selected in the "Edge traversal" drop-down box. Click apply then OK.

10) Repeat steps 4 through 8 for but this time for SRCDS RCON. The only difference is this time the port protocol will be TCP and the name will (obviously) be SRCDS RCON. In the future you can use the "Scope" tab of the SRCDS RCON rule to limit remote connections on RCON. I used to have it limited to only a handful of admins who were friends of mine. That really cuts down on hacking.

11) Finally you'll want to right click on the two stock srcds entries then click properties. On the "General" tab uncheck "Enabled". (I used to say: make sure "Block the Connection" is selected in the "Action" list but I think disabling should work just as well.)

Last edited:

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Audio Device(s) On Board
Mouse MX Master 3s
Software The Matrix
probably for testing purposes you should just turn off the firewall.

streetfighter 2

you don't have to specify your IP address. when you launch the server it defaults to localhost and you are good to go. trust me, ive run many source dedicated servers. the port tho you must specify and since source rules are strange you may need to do +port 27015 rather than -port 27015. of course, this is on a linux server with no software firewall enabled.

I'd agree with this but my server just plum didn't work unless I included "+ip 192.168.1.10" (or whatever the servers LAN IP was). Also you're right about the +/-, or at least it's worth a try. I'm looking at my old config and I used -, but who knows?

probably for testing purposes you should just turn off the firewall.

Funny how that shit doesn't occur to me until after I wrote that thing.:laugh: