• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Custom case build

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Aorus X570 Master
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Gskill TridentZ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Duke Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
Storage WD Black 1TB NVMe ssd, WD Blue 6TB storage drive
Display(s) LG 25” UltraWide IPS Gaming monitor
Case SAMA Z3
Audio Device(s) Eivotor 18” Mini Soundbar, Massdrop PC37X headset by Sennheiser
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
Well, here it is: a couple of renders of what I came up with for now. I had plenty of ideas (that I might implement another time depending on how this build goes) but I decided to go with one of the more "simple" and traditional designs. Let me know what you think. There are probably be a few details that could change in the final design, depending on how hard they are to manufacture by hand.

p.s. sorry if the renders look kinda blurry, I used a free software. On the other hand, I'm actually impressed with my Noctua cpu cooler. The first image was created in a progressive render, running for 2 hours and the cpu never went past 64C (100% load at a steady 4GHz).
atx case1_Scene 4 v2.jpg

atx case1_Scene 1 v2.jpg
atx case1_Scene 2 v2.jpg
atx case1_Scene 3 v2.jpg
atx case1_Scene 5 v2.jpg

System Name The Phoenix (rev. 3.0)
Processor Intel Core i9 9900K @ 4.9GHz (1.18V)
Motherboard ASUS TUF Z390 PRO-GAMING
Cooling Custom Full Loop w/EKWB & Swiftech components
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 3200MHz (C15)
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 SeaHawk X EK @ 2.15GHz/5.5GHz
Storage Samsung 970 EVO+ (2x500GB) + Toshiba X300 (4TB)
Display(s) LG 29UM65-P (2560x1080 @ 75 Hz)
Case Thermaltake Core V51
Audio Device(s) Razer Kraken 7.1 & Scarlett 2i4 w/M-AUDIO BX5-D2
Power Supply Corsair RM750 (ver. 2019)
Mouse Logitech G700s
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow Chroma V2
Software MacOS 10.13.6 "High Sierra" & Windows 10 Pro x64
Hey man, I do like what you did there, in general lines, it's a pretty nice design. Also I do like the window placement to get a glance from both sides. I'm missing some curves but hey, that's my personal taste. Over all, I think you did a terrific work :)

And now, don't take me wrong, cause I don't know almost anything about sketching and/or industrial design, but just let me tell you what I'd like to see also there if you don't mind:

- In terms of aesthetycs, I'd love to see a dark wood and/or metal accent in the side near the window or maybe at the front.
- I do like a lot the little raise that you did for the whole case adding a second base, specially at the front part to let the bottom to drive fresh air to the rads ... but I'll add some ventilation holes also at the right side, close to the little window on its left side (as some Fractal or NZXT cases) ... and if you find a cool pattern i'll replicate that in the left side close to the possible dark wood accent I mentioned before.
- In terms of exhaust, right now you're constricted to the rear and I think you're gonna need more if you plan to cool CPU+GPU ... so ... as drilling big meshy holes on the top can ruin the aesthetycs completely, did you think in coming out with a similar design of what you did in the bottom part? That way you could create also perfect channels for removing hot air outta the case with that "raise" accent, also adding more light there could be really cool. Not to mention that you could also add fan/rad holes over there.

Btw, I can see some hints on the HD placement but could you provide more detail if possible?
Anything that will follow I'm sure it's gonna be great, keep it up dude!!! :toast:

Last edited:
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case SAMA Z3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
Hey man, I do like what you did there, in general lines, it's a pretty nice design. Also I do like the window placement to get a glance from both sides. I'm missing some curves but hey, that's my personal taste. Over all, I think you did a terrific work :)
Thanks! I left out the curves for two reasons, 1) I was going for a more simple and modern design, and 2) curves would drastically increase the manufacturing difficulty. This being my first venture into case building I wanted to focus on getting the technical measurements correct, and it’s much harder to pull measurements from curved surfaces. Keep in mind I’ll likely be cutting everything by hand.

And now, don't take me wrong, cause I don't know almost anything about sketching and/or industrial design, but just let me tell you what I'd like to see also there if you don't mind:

- In terms of aesthetycs, I'd love to see a dark wood and/or metal accent in the side near the window or maybe at the front.
- I do like a lot the little raise that you did for the whole case adding a second base, specially at the front part to let the bottom to drive fresh air to the rads ... but I'll add some ventilation holes also at the right side, close to the little window on its left side (as some Fractal or NZXT cases) ... and if you find a cool pattern i'll replicate that in the left side close to the possible dark wood accent I mentioned before.
- In terms of exhaust, right now you're constricted to the rear and I think you're gonna need more if you plan to cool CPU+GPU ... so ... as drilling big meshy holes on the top can ruin the aesthetycs completely, did you think in coming out with a similar design of what you did in the bottom part? That way you could create also perfect channels for removing hot air outta the case with that "raise" accent, also adding more light there could be really cool. Not to mention that you could also add fan/rad holes over there.

Btw, I can see some hints on the HD placement but could you provide more detail if possible?
Anything that will follow I'm sure it's gonna be great, keep it up dude!!! :toast:

So in terms of metal, I’m going to stay away from it as much as possible. I want to see if it’s possible to create a case completely out of wood; I will add metal (probably aluminum) only as a last resort if I need to increase the structural integrity in certain parts of the case. I’m not sure I understood your referencing to left and right, so let me know if I got this right. Just to clear up a few things:
1. The dark colored “box” at the bottom of the case is the psu and hdd cage shroud and the little window on its side is not a window at all but a 5” screen for hardware monitoring. The top of the psu shroud is perforated in a similar fashion to the rear of the case and the bottom of the shroud and the case itself have a cutout for the psu fan to draw in air.
2. On the back side (right side looking from the front of the case) there are a few details. The vertical window will be a mesh filter for radiator intake/exhaust. The narrow slit along the top edge of the case is actually a passive exhaust as well, allowing hot air at the top of the case to vent. Not sure if the width of the opening has an effect on its ability to vent heat, but it may end up being a bit wider. And finally, the small window will be acrylic which is positioned over the 2.5 ssd mounts on the back of the motherboard tray. The window will also allow the dark wood to show through. As far as storage mounting, there is a 2x 3.5 hdd cage in the psu shroud, the 2x 2.5 ssd mounts I mentioned earlier, and 2x 2.5 ssd mounts to the right of the motherboard inside the main compartment which are a bit difficult to see in the pictures. I might try populating the case with random components and taking a few close-up detail renders to get an idea of how everything is laid out. If you have any other questions or ideas, feel free to share.

Mouse Logitech G700s
curves would drastically increase the manufacturing difficulty. This being my first venture into case building I wanted to focus on getting the technical measurements correct, and it’s much harder to pull measurements from curved surfaces. Keep in mind I’ll likely be cutting everything by hand.

I totally get you, I just did some modding in the past in some PC cases as well as Powermac G5 ones (to turn them into ATX) and w/o the right tools it can be really a challenge. Despite that, and since you're building it from scratch, couldn't you go to a big hardware store where you can chose the material and also perform some cuts as well? In my local town you can find some of them where you can carry your own digitalized designs, grab the materials and then arrange/cut/shape them at the same shop by staff.

So in terms of metal, I’m going to stay away from it as much as possible. I want to see if it’s possible to create a case completely out of wood; I will add metal (probably aluminum) only as a last resort if I need to increase the structural integrity in certain parts of the case.

Regarding metal it was just for decoration purpose, and if you want to get rid of it, which I understand, that's why I also proposed dark wood accent (same colour you're gonna use inside the case) ... what I meant is kind of a wide vertical line (or double slimer ones, similar to some race cars) at the left side of the case near the main window. For structural integrity, can't say anything since I don't have any custom experience on wood.

The vertical window will be a mesh filter for radiator intake/exhaust.

Then forgot what I've said about drilling extra holes on the left/right side near the front, I thought you were just getting fresh air from the bottom, but I didn't get at 100% where you're gonna place that 5" screen, is the black spot shown on image #4 at the bottom in the same "compartment" as the rads/fan will go, which I was confusing with a possible air intake?

The narrow slit along the top edge of the case is actually a passive exhaust as well, allowing hot air at the top of the case to vent.

I saw it but I think it may be lil room to exhaust too many heat from CPU+GPU and other components, specially if you run your rad pushing hot air through the case. IDK, I'm not an expert regarding heat transfer in wood so I'm speculating at this point. I'm sure you have more expertise on this or someone will pop up to answer this in a more detailed way.

I might try populating the case with random components and taking a few close-up detail renders to get an idea of how everything is laid out.

That would be great!!!

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case SAMA Z3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
couldn't you go to a big hardware store where you can chose the material and also perform some cuts as well
Hardware stores here will cut materials down for you, but only large sheet goods or long lumber. They don’t do any kind of precision cuts, and honestly, I wouldn’t trust them to either lol. If I had access to a cnc that would be a different story.

I thought you were just getting fresh air from the bottom, but I didn't get at 100% where you're gonna place that 5" screen, is the black spot shown on image #4 at the bottom in the same "compartment" as the rads/fan will go, which I was confusing with a possible air intake?
So intake for the fans will be both from the bottom of the front compartment, like you originally guessed, as well as the vertical opening on the right side of the case. The 5” screen is that little, kind of silver looking square on the side of the power supply shroud.

I saw it but I think it may be lil room to exhaust too many heat from CPU+GPU and other components, specially if you run your rad pushing hot air through the case.
I’ll probably widen it a little bit, I just didn’t want a gaping hole in the case. The rear will have an active exhaust fan tho. The idea behind the dual compartment setup was to allow for air cooling via fans blowing into the case (front to rear), but once I save enough money to go with a water loop the partition between the front and main compartments will be sealed off and the radiator mounted to the side of the case, where it will intake or exhaust through the vertical opening on the right side of the case. This is to avoid blowing the heat from the water loop, along with dust, into the case. Also, wood generally works as an insulator, both for heat and sound, but is a very ineffective insulator when compared with rubber or foam.

Mouse Logitech G700s
Sad to hear about the cutting stuff, the stores I mentioned you can do even just one, dunno about the precission though.

Based on your explanation, nothing to complain on your first compartment of ventilation, it will work even better than I first guessed, if you blow fresh air from the bottom and dump it outta the case on the side through the meshy window it will keep the rad cool and its heat mainly away from getting into the mobo. And also, if I understood correclty, you want the other part of that compartment where you have extra fan holes (front part) blowing air into the case and then exhaust it through rear right? Sounds sweet

I'm really eager to see your progress!!!

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case SAMA Z3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
Made a couple of changes

Width of the top vent on the back side was doubled
Moved the accent lights below the main body of the case
Made the case 0.5 inch taller and changed the fan mounting points on the front to accommodate 4x120mm intake fans instead of 3x120mm fans or a 360mm rad

Here are a few pictures with components installed. Air and water cooling setups, the distro plate is supposed to be semi-transparent but I could get the render to show properly
atx case1_Component-side.jpg
atx case1_Component-rear.jpg
atx case1_Component-back.jpg
atx case1_Component-water cooled.jpg

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case SAMA Z3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
Here's a better picture. I changed the texture manually on a couple of the faces, its not great but at least the distro plate is not a solid color anymore
atx case1_Component-water cooled.jpg

This is very cool! I think the only changes I'd make is to make all the wood one colour and add 2 or 3 5.25" bays or maybe 2 5.25" bays an a 3.5" bay.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case SAMA Z3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
This is very cool! I think the only changes I'd make is to make all the wood one colour and add 2 or 3 5.25" bays or maybe 2 5.25" bays an a 3.5" bay.
But no one uses 5.25” bays anymore lol. I have two 3.5” hdd bays under the psu shroud, plus four 2.5” locations for ssd’s. That’s more than enough storage space for me. Right now I’m using just a single 1TB m.2 and a 6TB hdd

But no one uses 5.25” bays anymore lol.
Lots of people do, myself included. I consider it a deal breaker if a case does have them. Examples;
And last but not least;

But this is your case, I was only commenting about personal preference.

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case SAMA Z3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
@lexluthermiester I see where you’re going with it. Personally, I haven’t used a 5.25” bay since I installed Windows 7 back in 2015. But I don’t see the point of having a 5.25” bay to install a hdd in, that’s what 3.5” bays are for, unless you want true hot-swappable drives. I also don’t see the point of putting USB ports in a 5.25” bay, I can install them separately with something like this: https://www.frozencpu.com/products/...MIpbyKpZeR6AIV1PfjBx0i4wTgEAkYESABEgK-8_D_BwE
or
https://www.ebay.com/i/223487418905...MI2dLw_5aR6AIVe_fjBx1hhwXiEAkYEyABEgK4bfD_BwE
Maybe my next design will have 5.25” bays

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case SAMA Z3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
this is an interesting concept

IMG_2069.JPG

sucks but my plans for this case mod have been delayed due to corona and the resulting lack of finances. though I may try making something with some live edge scraps I have left over..

Mugruber

@Rgt0007 Hey just wanted to say im also play around with the idea of building a pc out of wood aswell . mainly because I have a ton of scrap black walnut cut off boards that i got from a lumber yard for fire wood .I live in Missouri as well if your close enough i'd just give you some scrap walnut if you where interested (also halve some white oak peices . My design is still in the paper stage though . I mainly use solid works as my cad software , I was just curious which cad program you use . This is also my first time trying this hole custom build . out of curiosity did you have to get your own dimensions for your Mother board / Gpu /cpu / fans or where you able to find a file format from something like grab cad to bring into your model ?
I
IMG_3976.JPG
IMG_3954.JPG

~+~

Last edited by a moderator:

3rutu5

@Rgt0007 Hey just wanted to say im also play around with the idea of building a pc out of wood aswell . mainly because I have a ton of scrap black walnut cut off boards that i got from a lumber yard for fire wood .I live in Missouri as well if your close enough i'd just give you some scrap walnut if you where interested (also halve some white oak peices . My design is still in the paper stage though . I mainly use solid works as my cad software , I was just curious which cad program you use . This is also my first time trying this hole custom build . out of curiosity did you have to get your own dimensions for your Mother board / Gpu /cpu / fans or where you able to find a file format from something like grab cad to bring into your model ?
IView attachment 169676View attachment 169677
~+~
How did this end up? i'm wanting to do a DIY timber Mini ITX build, got some ply but unsure about being in Queensland AU and the fact it gets hot here...

Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Case SAMA Z3
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
You’re using black walnut for fire wood? How could you?? lol As for software, I use SketchUp. I know there is better software out there but I’ve been using this one for over 10 years so I’m comfortable with it, and it’s easy to use. I pulled dimensions from the standard ATX and PCIe specifications, you can find them all over google. I think I also linked a few pages earlier in this thread.

How did this end up? i'm wanting to do a DIY timber Mini ITX build, got some ply but unsure about being in Queensland AU and the fact it gets hot here...
I’m still planning this, but I’ve been really busy in the past few months so I haven’t had much time. I don’t think where you are should affect your build, just make sure to incorporate plenty of airflow into the chassis, or go for an open air approach.