• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Custom Loop Watercool

System Name Casual Movie Rig
Processor Intel i7-4790K
Motherboard ASUS Z97-Deluxe
Cooling NZXT Kraken X61 280mm All-In-One Water / Liquid CPU Cooling Solution
Memory Corsair Dominator Platinum 16GB DDR3 1866MHz CL9
Video Card(s) None yet
Storage SSD Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SATA-III 2.5 inch | WD VelociRaptor 1TB SATA-III 10000 RPM 64MB
Display(s) BenQ Professional Gaming XL2430T 24 inch 1ms GTG black
Case NZXT Phantom 820 Gunmetal
Audio Device(s) None
Power Supply Corsair AXi Digital AX860i
Software Windows 8.1 PRO 64bit English Retail
Hey guys..
I just acquired the NZXT Kraken X61 custom liquid cooler and 6 Noctua IPPC 3000RPM fans.
I would like to mount this at the top of my NZXT 820 Phantom Case.
The question is how should i put the push-pull config for maximum cooling performance ?

In push pull configuration...?!

Point them out of the case, and make sure you have an intake fan in the front, and would be best to also have an exhaust fan on the back. (Low RPM is fine)

System Name Big Blue
Processor i5-4690k 4.7GHz@1.3v
Motherboard AsRock z97 Extreme4
Cooling Custom loop - XSPC
Memory 2x8GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3 1600MHz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte R9 270x Windforce3
Storage Crucial M500 120GB SSD/Western Digital Caviar Black 500GB 2.5" 7200RPM HDD
Display(s) AOC i2267fw 22-Inch IPS Frameless LED Monitor
Case Phanteks Enthoo Pro
Power Supply XFX Pro 750W Gold w/Custom Sleeving
Software Win7 64
Benchmark Scores Coming soon!
IMO Push/Pull is a waste. You won't see significant performance gains, especially with those fans.
If you don't believe me, check this out:
And this:

I would run the rear exhaust spot, as an intake, blowing fresh air directly in to your rad. Put the fans in pull on the rad exhausting air out of the case, and set the front/bottom fans up for intake. This will maintain positive pressure on your case, and allow you to go longer between cleanouts as long as you filter the rear intake.

If you like the look of the fans, which I do, you can put them in push, and they should perform the same.

Alternatively, which I am going to do with my current build, you can run the top fans as intake through your rad, front/bottom fans as intake, and rear exhaust as exhaust. Play with the configuration, and find which works best for you.
Either way, I stand by that push/pull is overkill, especially with those high quality fans.