• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

[Case Gallery] Custom Lucite Clear Case

Processor Intel Core i5 4690K
Motherboard AsRock Z97 Extreme4
Cooling Hyper 212 Evo
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) R9 Nano
Storage 256GB SATA SSD 2TB WD Blue
Display(s) 1920x1080
Case Cooler Master Elite 130
Power Supply CX650M
Software Argh, Windows 10. I hated Windows 7. I hate Windows 10 more. Give me back XP!!!
To view this case mod, go here.

Specs:
Pentium 4 3Ghz@3.2Ghz
Soyo 895P Dragon II Platinum Edition
Radeon 9800Pro 256MB@450/400 w/ Zalman Cooler
1GB DDR500
120GB WD IDE Drive and 250GB WD IDE Drive
Sony DVD Burner
Aspire 550w Power Supply

Mods:
Custom built the Lucite case, included heating and bending to form the shape of the case instead of just using flat pieces held together in the corner with L brackets. Drilled all the holes for fans and screws, made lucite stand-offs for the motherboard, chemically bonded the pieces together where possible. Made the entire front of the case removable for easier drive changes. Used decals to give it that etched look, but wish I would have done real etching. Made the front drive bay covers out of Lucite using the same methods, eventually added the USB/Audio drive bay cover later on. Added the wires to the switchs and LEDs to connect to the motherboard, and had the aluminum switch caps machined to cover the ugly red switchs I originally used. Used the Thermalright SLK-800u for the processor. Replaced the stock 9800Pro fan with a Zalman ZM80, and modified bracket to hold a fan blowing over it. Used automotive sleaving to cover the wires were possible. Mounted the power supply upside down so it was possible to see into the clear window through the case. Painted the floppy drive, CD Drive, and keyboard/mouse with blue metalic paint.

I thought this would be a great idea at the time(2003) since there wasn't really that many clear PCs around, and at the time there weren't even the clear pre-built cases on the market. The thing turned heads at LAN parties for sure, but after a few months the novelty went away and it really just became a pain to keep clean. So I junked it. It took about 20 hours to construct and I ended up just chucking it in the trash after about a year of use.

Last edited by a moderator: