• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Custom power LED

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Aorus X570 Master
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Gskill TridentZ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Duke Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
Storage WD Black 1TB NVMe ssd, WD Blue 6TB storage drive
Display(s) LG 25” UltraWide IPS Gaming monitor
Case SAMA Z3
Audio Device(s) Eivotor 18” Mini Soundbar, Massdrop PC37X headset by Sennheiser
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
Hi everyone, first time on here.

I built my first computer about 7 years ago, and have been slowly upgrading it over the years. Well I’m basically maxed out on the build, and with AMD’s new releases, it’s time to build a new, updated system.

I’ve been looking into case modding a lot recently and have decided to build a custom case for my new build rather than buying one. I’m pretty handy with tools and it wouldn’t be the first time I’ve built something.

What I can’t figure out, and can find no answers on google, is if I can use a LED strip in place of a single LED for the power LED on the case. Would the header (that you normally plug the power LED into) on the mobo provide enough power for about 3ft of LEDs?

I figured I have to put a power LED anyway, and I wanted some exterior accent lighting, so I’d just combine the two. LEDs will be a single color strip, not RGB, if that makes any difference.

Thanks for any help.

I don’t think it’ll provide enough power and may even burn that circuit. They’re built to provide very little juice as this isn’t your typical thing.

All modern motherboards (bar a few eccentric ones) come with RGB headers. Just use one of those...? They’ll power on when the rig turns on, producing the same effect; right?

Ahhzz

Staff member
System Name OrangeHaze / Silence
Processor i7-13700KF / i5-10400 /
Motherboard ROG STRIX Z690-E / MSI Z490 A-Pro Motherboard
Cooling Corsair H75 / TT ToughAir 510
Memory 64Gb GSkill Trident Z5 / 32GB Team Dark Za 3600
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2070 / Sapphire R9 290 Vapor-X 4Gb
Storage Hynix Plat P41 2Tb\Samsung MZVL21 1Tb / Samsung 980 Pro 1Tb
Display(s) 22" Dell Wide/24" Asus
Case Lian Li PC-101 ATX custom mod / Antec Lanboy Air Black & Blue
Audio Device(s) SB Audigy 7.1
Power Supply Corsair Enthusiast TX750
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless / Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum
Keyboard K68 RGB — CHERRY® MX Red
Software Win10 Pro \ RIP:Win 7 Ult 64 bit
Hi everyone, first time on here.

Thanks for any help.
Not a helpful reply, but I am looking forward to this!
As a guesstimate, I wouldn't expect it to be able to drive more than a couple, possibly 3, LEDs. I have a sheet of 10 feet, and that requires a lot more amperage than you'll get off the motherboard. There's a reason you have to purchase those power bricks for strips of LEDs. Now, having said that, I wouldn't think it would take much to rig a brick inside the case, and toggle it with the power switch. Obviously, a small strip of lights would be best, as you could get away with a smaller power bank.

Processor AMD Ryzen 5 2600X
Motherboard Aorus X570 Master
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB Gskill TridentZ 3200MHz
Video Card(s) MSI Duke Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080Ti
Storage WD Black 1TB NVMe ssd, WD Blue 6TB storage drive
Display(s) LG 25” UltraWide IPS Gaming monitor
Case SAMA Z3
Audio Device(s) Eivotor 18” Mini Soundbar, Massdrop PC37X headset by Sennheiser
Power Supply Seasonic Ultra Prime 1000W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Logitech G510
Software Windows 10 Home
There's a reason you have to purchase those power bricks for strips of LEDs.
Most of the LED strips I’ve seen are wired for sata/molex tho. Or come with a connector to plug directly into a sata/molex cable without a brick.

The rgb LED header on my mobo supports up to a 12V/3A 36W strip, I found a 48” strip that runs at 12V/20-25mA (see below). If the math is correct, that’s only 0.3W. But it only has the option for a 4-pin connector, is that what I need to plug into the mobo header? Or is the 4-pin for a molex? (I’m new to RGB)

LED strip I found:

I built my own ... bought LED strips from China and matched them to the power plug provided with Phanteks cases. This was strict / plain lighting tho ... no interest in RGB blingie things.

I couldn't find the connector plug link I used as the strip didnt come with one; I called Phanteks at the time, they gave the the plug type / name and i found them in an electronics store ... just can't recall th ename. Today you can buy complete kits w/ controllers

Take a peek here: