• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cyberpunk 2077 is Coming to GeForce NOW

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992
Except there is no requirement with GOG that I use their service to play the game. Once I download the game and install directly on my computer I am under no obligation to ever go back to GOG and I can keep playing. Not so with Steam, where you cannot in perpetuity ignore them.

No, I agree with you on what you wrote, but that statement was for if GOG.com ever does close up. They don't have any legal text that says you're allowed to keep the game if the service you purchased it from goes away. If it falls back to the publisher's/developer's original EULA (which may be the case as per the "inconsistency or dispute" line mentioned above), you may be liable to their rules after. Besides, in most countries that have digital distribution (especially the US), there are government-mandated consumer laws that protect users from "shops that close up", so this is not really something to worry about and quite commendable of GOG.com.

There was non-official verbiage more than 10 years ago (I heard about it in 2009) that Steam would just release patches to all the customers who bought software to remove the dependency on the Steam client, but that was never set in stone anywhere. Valve is a 100% privately-held, unlisted company (cannot be publicly traded) that is still highly successful, so there aren't any signs they would be closing up shop any time soon to confirm this.

Anyways, on topic, Geforce Now does work well (if you're in the US with a competent ISPs & equipment, at least, in my opinion). It's extremely better than Stadia and makes perfect use of Steam's Big Picture Mode. If you don't have a gaming PC, but own a modern streaming device (like the Shield)/mid-to-high range Android phone and don't really want to spend making or upgrading a rig, this is a good alternative to a dedicated gaming console if you want a PC-like experience.

Just don't expect to:
1. Competitively game - There is still a minimum amount of input lag, so don't expect to click heads faster than a native PC player who has a 75 Hz monitor and up
2. Have higher refresh rates - It is still technically streaming video (which is HEVC/H.265, I believe), so the maximum frame rate is still 60 FPS
3. Save data on your metered internet connection - Unless you have 4G+/LTE-A and true unlimited bandwidth, avoid using your mobile data. If you're one of the ones who is cursed with a data-capped landline ISP, this service is not for you
4. Have long-ass gaming sessions - The limit (if you're paying) is 6 hours straight. After that you have to reconnect to a new session.
5. Modify games - Even though you're technically remotely accessing another Windows PC, you only have access to the game launchers

I'm trying out the service because it allows me to access my own Steam/uPlay library from nearly anywhere with a decent connection without having to use up my own resources (keeping the gaming PC on and using my home bandwidth). I only need a small keyboard, mouse and/or gamepad and either of my laptops (I hate carrying the G5 5587) or phone and I could casually play anywhere. I was not excited or expecting to sign up to this at all, to be honest.

TL;DR: It's a good supplement to your current gaming PC, especially if you move around a lot. A huge convenience factor. Streaming is NOT meant to succeed playing on a PC natively, especially in terms of quality and latency. $5/month is not bad if you want to continue core gaming on-the-road.

Processor i7 8700k 4.6Ghz @ 1.24V
Motherboard AsRock Fatal1ty K6 Z370
Cooling beQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 3
Memory 16GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 3200/C16
Video Card(s) ASRock RX7900XT Phantom Gaming
Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Display(s) Gigabyte G34QWC (3440x1440)
Case Fractal Design Define R5
Audio Device(s) Harman Kardon AVR137 + 2.1
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse XTRFY M42
Keyboard Lenovo Thinkpad Trackpoint II
Software W10 x64
Everything you wrote is true. This is the inherent problem with most software licensing models in that they are proprietary by nature (copyright).

Currently, it is not clear what would happen if Steam would end up closing up. There is currently no legal text I can find that states if we can keep the games or not. None of the 3rd party EULAs state anything about their own software's licensing if Steam is gone. (Please take note that this is the same for GOG.com.)

Steam legally binds you once you start using their service (regardless if you pay for any goods or not), so basically you become a subscriber.

Steam is the middleman, which is why most publishers also include their own EULAs on the store pages.If they don't include them, then they are relying on the Steam EULA (as they would be considered as an affiliate):

Example 3rd party EULA (Paradox Interactive, the ones who made BattleTech and Stellaris) that is on the Steam storefront:

EULA's... haha. Yeah. They're good fun indeed

Here is what wiki says - and note the link above it where, if you click on 'Worldwide views' you immediately drop on a page about Systemic Bias... :) Nuff said.

Here's the real world, outside the US where consumer rights are, well.... not as backwards, to say the least.
1582271602410.png

This is also a good read

System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Is ping all that matters?
Mostly it is ... all changes in available bandwidth are handled by varying video encoding quality on their end, so you may see mpeg blockiness sometimes ... but varying latency is much more immersion-breaking than that

It undermines gaming in a big way, this is not a feasible model to support an industry.
Why don't you let the industry decide for itself? :eek:
Ownership of content is a big thing. You've got the law at your back. In a service, all you got is a temporary arrangement 'as long as it lasts'. Its like the stock market, who knows what tomorrow might bring.
Ownership of content?
You don't own the games. I can't believe we're still having this discussion on a forum that calls itself "for PC enthusiasts".

But more importantly: GeForce Now is not about owning games. It's about owning hardware. You bring games.
Only partially true. You own the game on GOG. That’s the beauty of non-drm. I download the game files, keep them forever, and install whenever I feel like it and I never lose my right to install and play the game whenever and wherever I want.
As above. You don't own the games you "buy". You only own the right to play them.

But seriously. This is a topic about a streaming platform. Let's not flood it with another "I don't understand software licensing" discussion.

Storage Samsung 850 EVO 1TB + Samsung 830 256GB + Crucial BX100 250GB + Toshiba 1TB HDD
Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
Why don't you let the industry decide for itself? :eek:

Ownership of content?
You don't own the games. I can't believe we're still having this discussion on a forum that calls itself "for PC enthusiasts".

But more importantly: GeForce Now is not about owning games. It's about owning hardware. You bring games.

As above. You don't own the games you "buy". You only own the right to play them.

Just because some random nutcase writes some legalese saying 'this is what it is' does not make it any more true. Like I pointed out, there is no precedent for this sort of thing and there is a serious discrepancy about the views on ownership when it comes to software licensing. It is for all intents and purposes a license that does not expire. A product was bought. Not a service. And that is where it begins and ends, sorry. It has already been ruled in several cases that a EULA is not legally binding in the sense of a contract, even if simply because of the fact it can only be agreed to after initiating the actual contract - the purchase.

Don't mistake the ideal situation of some spreadsheet heroes in big corporations with reality.

Just because some random nutcase writes some legalese saying 'this is what it is' does not make it any more true. Like I pointed out, there is no precedent for this sort of thing.
What? There is no precedent for people being convicted for using illegal software?

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
What? There is no precedent for people being convicted for using illegal software?

Ehhh, read back. Clearly you're missing something here.

We will not agree on this, let's prevent the back and forth of several pages, I think we know where we stand, at least its clear where I stand on this ;)

Ehhh, read back. Clearly you're missing something here.

We will not agree on this, let's prevent the back and forth of several pages, I think we know where we stand, at least its clear where I stand on this ;)
This is not a matter of interpretation so there's nothing to agree on or not.

You don't understand or can't accept how software licensing works.
I bet it's the latter since you've already shown general hostility towards monthly plans, cloud platforms etc.
End of story.

Let's get back to GeForce Now, which is about infrastructure - not software.

Mouse XTRFY M42
Software W10 x64
This is not a matter of interpretation so there's nothing to agree on or not.

You don't understand or can't accept how software licensing works.
I bet it's the latter since you've already shown general hostility towards monthly plans, cloud platforms etc.
End of story.

Let's get back to GeForce Now, which is about infrastructure - not software.

Law is always about interpretation, especially in court.

But let's get back to Geforce NOW. What is there to say about it? Go ahead.

System Name PC
Processor i7 9700KF
Motherboard MSI Z390 A PRO
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S
Memory 32GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000mhz
Video Card(s) PALIT RTX 4070 Dual 12Gb
Storage 2X Crucial MX500 2TB SSD, Samsung 850 pro 512gb SSD
Display(s) DELL C34H89x 34" Ultrawide
Case Corsair Obsidian 550D
Audio Device(s) Audioengine A5+ Speakers
Power Supply Corsair RM750
Mouse Logitech G403
Keyboard Corsair Vengeance K70
Software Windows 10 64bit
System Name Violet
Processor AMD Ryzen 5800X
Motherboard ASRock x570 Phantom Gaming X
Cooling Be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
Memory G.Skill Flare x 32GB 3400Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI 6900XT Gaming X Trio
Storage Western Digital WD Black SN750 1TB
Display(s) 3440x1440
Case Lian Li LANCOOL II MESH Performance
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse EVGA X15
Keyboard Corsair K95 RGB
Software Windows 10 64bit
GeForce Now? No thanks, it`s already EOL.

System Name M3401 notebook
Processor 5600H
Motherboard NA
Memory 16GB
Video Card(s) 3050
Storage 500GB SSD
Display(s) 14" OLED screen of the laptop
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores 3050 scores good 15-20% lower than average, despite ASUS's claims that it has uber cooling.
That’s a pretty big deal for CDPR and Nvidia. A real feather in their caps.
It could be a big deal for NV GFN, which have ran into major bad news days after release, but how is it anything significant, let alone big deal, for CDPR?

It's extremely better than Stadia
Is it? Could you elaborate.

Cheeseball

Not a Potato
Supporter
System Name 2023 AMD Work & Gaming Rig
Processor AMD Ryzen™ 7 7950X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix X670E-I Gaming WiFi
Cooling ID-COOLING SE-207-XT Slim Snow
Memory TEAMGROUP T-Force Delta RGB 2x16GB DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) ASRock Radeon RX 7900 XTX 24 GB GDDR6 (MBA)
Storage 2TB Samsung 990 Pro NVMe
Display(s) AOpen Fire Legend 24" 390Hz (25XV2Q), Alienware 34" 165Hz (AW3423DWF), LG C2 42" 120Hz (OLED42C2PUA)
Case Cooler Master Q300L V2
Audio Device(s) Kanto Audio YU2 and SUB8 Desktop Speakers and Subwoofer, Cloud Alpha Wireless
Power Supply Corsair RM850x White (2021)
Mouse Logitech Pro Superlight (White), G303 Shroud Edition
Keyboard Corsair K70 RGB TKL Champion Series / Wooting 60HE / NuPhy Air75
VR HMD Occulus Quest 2 128GB
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-bit 22H2 Build 22621.1992
Is it? Could you elaborate.

The problem with Stadia (I've tried it with the controller and my Samsung phone) is actually this weird rubber-banding/lag that occurs even though the latency shows that its not bad (average of 23 to 30 ms) on the previously mentioned Comcast line. Couple that with the usual video artifacting and current licensing model, GeForce Now is currently the much more attractive game streaming service.