• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Cyberpunk 2077 RTX Path Tracing Overdrive Mode Comes on April 11th

GFreeman

News Editor
Staff member
CD Projekt RED has unveiled at the GDC 2023 that the RTX Path Tracing Overdrive Mode for Cyberpunk 2077 will launch on April 11th. It will be a part of the Cyberpunk 2077 Update 1.62 and bring several improvements, including RTX Path Tracing, improvements in ray tracing performance, and most likely some general gameplay improvements.

While the precise details of the Cyberpunk 2077 Update 1.62 have not been announced, CD Projekt RED did talk about path-traced features at the "Cyberpunk 2077' RT: Overdrive - Bringing Path Tracing into the Night City (Presented by NVIDIA)" GDC 2023 session held earlier. Earlier, CD Projekt RED also talked about the support for Shader Execution Ordering, as well as some other improvements for the game.

CD Projekt RED and NVIDIA already revealed some of the updates that will be coming with the RT Overdrive Mode, including:

• NVIDIA RTX Direct Illumination (RTXDI) gives each neon sign, street lamp, car headlight, LED billboard, and TV accurate ray-traced lighting and shadows, bathing objects, walls, passing cars, and pedestrians in accurate colored lighting;
  • Ray-traced indirect lighting and reflections now bounce multiple times, compared to the previous solution's single bounce. The result is even more accurate, realistic and immersive global illumination, reflections, and self-reflections;
  • Ray-traced reflections are now rendered at full resolution, further improving their quality;
  • Improved, more physically-based lighting removes the need for any other occlusion techniques.

CD Projekt RED and NVIDIA have also talked about the support for Shader Execution Ordering (SER), which should also come with the next update. It optimizes GPU workloads by enabling efficient path-traced lighting, and, according to NVIDIA, by grouping shader threads that accomplish similar tasks and using SER to optimize DispatchRays calls in Cyberpunk 2077, they sped up overall GPU time by around 42 percent.

SER, together with the recent updated support for DLSS 3, both of which are only available on NVIDIA Ada Lovelace GPUs, make such things even possible.

As noted, the Cyberpunk 2077 Update 1.62 should bring additional gameplay improvements, but all eyes are on the RT Overdrive Mode with RTX Path Tracing. Unfortunately, CD Projekt RED or NVIDIA did not reveal any new trailers to show off RTX Path Tracing, but hopefully, April 11th is just around the corner.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site | Source

The poor need not apply!

We know we sold you two generations of RTX cards before but we have chosen to implement all the new developments only on the latest generation that for some reason doesn't sell well?

So hop in to your preferred store and pony up at least 880 EUR for a card previously sold as midrange!

System Name :)
Processor Intel 13700k
Motherboard Gigabyte z790 UD AC
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory 64GB GSKILL DDR5
Video Card(s) Gigabyte RTX 4090 Gaming OC
Storage 960GB Optane 905P U.2 SSD + 4TB PCIe4 U.2 SSD
Display(s) Alienware AW3423DW 175Hz QD-OLED + Nixeus 27" IPS 1440p 144Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent
Audio Device(s) MOTU M4 - JBL 305P MKII w/2x JL Audio 10 Sealed --- X-Fi Titanium HD - Presonus Eris E5 - JBL 4412
Power Supply Silverstone 1000W
Mouse Roccat Kain 122 AIMO
Keyboard KBD67 Lite / Mammoth75
VR HMD Reverb G2 V2
Software Win 11 Pro
I'm interested in seeing what the path tracing looks like. :)

Processor Intel i7 77OOK
Motherboard Gigabyte Aorus something
Cooling Noctua NH-U12S dual fan
Memory Ballistix 32 Go
Video Card(s) MSI 3060 Gaming X
Storage Mixed bag of M2 SSD and SATA SSD
Display(s) MSI 34" 3440x1440 Artimys 343CQR
Case Old Corsair Obsidian something
Audio Device(s) Integrated
Power Supply Old Antec HCG 620 still running good
Mouse Steelseries something
Keyboard Steelseries someting too
Benchmark Scores bench ? no time to lose with bench ! :)
I'm a bit lost with the RTX ...
I believe it was already the top of the lightning art, 1:1 with real lights ...

Anyways,
most likely some general gameplay improvements.
No words on these gameplay improvements ... It is not more important than RTX ?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11
Maybe if you OC your 4090, you might get 30fps without cheating!

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R9 7900 - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora Edge
Motherboard ASRock B650 Pro RS
Cooling 2x 360mm NexXxoS ST30 X-Flow, 1x 360mm NexXxoS ST30, 1x 240mm NexXxoS ST30
Memory 32GB - FURY Beast RGB 5600 Mhz
Video Card(s) Sapphire RX 7900 XT - Alphacool Eisblock Aurora
Storage 1x Kingston KC3000 1TB 1x Kingston A2000 1TB, 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) LG UltraGear 32GN650-B + 4K Samsung TV
Case Phanteks NV7
Power Supply GPS-750C
It's never really 1:1, it's simply too costly.

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5950X
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Hero WiFi
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory 32Gb G-Skill Trident Z Neo @3806MHz C14
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX2070
Storage Seagate FireCuda 530 1TB
Display(s) Samsung G9 49" Curved Ultrawide
Case Cooler Master Cosmos
Audio Device(s) O2 USB Headphone AMP
Power Supply Corsair HX850i
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Cherry MX
Software Windows 11

Anyways,
most likely some general gameplay improvements.
No words on these gameplay improvements ... It is not more important than RTX ?
nGreedia are paying the dev to implement these features to showcase RTX.

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
HOW ABOUT INSTEAD OF THE GRAPHICS YUO MAKE THE ACTUAL GAME WHAT WAS FUCKING SHOWN AND PROMISED?
and not something outshined by stuff from over a decade ago.....come on....

The poor need not apply!

We know we sold you two generations of RTX cards before but we have chosen to implement all the new developments only on the latest generation that for some reason doesn't sell well?

So hop in to your preferred store and pony up at least 880 EUR for a card previously sold as midrange!

and those who ever played a game before and so have a bit of established baseline of...plot...gameplay....anything....need not apply either.

I am pretty sure this is in no way going to be optimized for amd hardware, increasing the percieved gap in rt performance.

Don't get me wrong nvidia is faster at rt but there ia definitely room to optimize for amd. Both architectures are very different with different strenghts and weaknesses.

BIGMicro

Does it add anything besides reflections in puddles and neon lights? It's nice that something in games graphics is happening but unfortunately that's all the players expect. 3/4 of these effects are obtainable without RT, especially in places or scenes where there is an almost complete "lack of lighting" compared to strong light. Real reflections are just Ok, if it wasn't a moderate addition to the whole game/graphic and it can almost completely make lose performance. Without DLSS and Frame Generation even the strongest cards, despite the third series, can't do it at all with (apart absurd prices).
The reflection of the city in the river/sea - watercourse looks nice, just nice. However, in the half places it is not a change that you feel when playing all the time, not for 50% performance. Beach, trees or buildings look better ? No. The changes in physics and behavior of objects is better, more natural in a given world? If I have to sacrifice 50% of performance I prefer that the physics in the game and the world itself allow for more interference in the game, the world, nature, NPC/human behavior, environment. Unfortunately, currently game producers largely focus on ignoring what they could still implement without RT anyway. And what we get are some reflections on the walls and in the puddles. The overall construction of the world in the game, the plot, all graphics are more important, not 2-3 selected elements where we lose half of the performance and pay double. Not even for cards like the 2080-3090Ti but just 4070Ti. Because by a strange coincidence, DLSS 3.0 went only to the last series ;)

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I am pretty sure this is in no way going to be optimized for amd hardware, increasing the percieved gap in rt performance.

Don't get me wrong nvidia is faster at rt but there ia definitely room to optimize for amd. Both architectures are very different with different strenghts and weaknesses.

Unreal 5's RT in Fornite shows that indeed its for a large part a manufactured performance difference