• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Darn those Radeon

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Weeeell, I just picked up my gap-graphics card today, because my old radeon x600 finally went to the land of the ancient.

However, my new GPU is a HIS HD 2600 Pro. Installed it today, and though it is a card so that I can work on my pc, I was curious to see how she would do in 3d. So I made the test with Prey, Portal, and Trackmania Nations. While playing Prey and Portal, I experienced irregular system crashes, soem followed by shut down, some followed by this nice screen here. Not only does that error message occure, somehow also the screen resolution sets back to 1025x768 instead of the 1280x1024 I have set.

Odd enough, same happens while playing TMN. Now first, the GPU worked with the CD-drivers that came with it. I decieded to install the newest ATI drivers as well, with no result.

Now my question is, why does this happen. Maybe I have to add, that I set up windows completely new today, but on a HD wich was previously used as file storage. Might that have an influence? Or what else could it be... I'm kinda confused now facing the fact that my three years old x600 dind't cause any errors, and the new one...

Ideas, anybody? Thanks in advance...

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Weeeell, I just picked up my gap-graphics card today, because my old radeon x600 finally went to the land of the ancient.

However, my new GPU is a HIS HD 2600 Pro. Installed it today, and though it is a card so that I can work on my pc, I was curious to see how she would do in 3d. So I made the test with Prey, Portal, and Trackmania Nations. While playing Prey and Portal, I experienced irregular system crashes, soem followed by shut down, some followed by this nice screen here. Not only does that error message occure, somehow also the screen resolution sets back to 1025x768 instead of the 1280x1024 I have set.

Odd enough, same happens while playing TMN. Now first, the GPU worked with the CD-drivers that came with it. I decieded to install the newest ATI drivers as well, with no result.

Now my question is, why does this happen. Maybe I have to add, that I set up windows completely new today, but on a HD wich was previously used as file storage. Might that have an influence? Or what else could it be... I'm kinda confused now facing the fact that my three years old x600 dind't cause any errors, and the new one...

Ideas, anybody? Thanks in advance...

you have to remove the old drivers before installing the new ones using driver cleaner which is on driverheaven.net follow directions to the bone. If this system is AGP id suggest reinstalling the GART driver for the AGP slot, if its PCI express i am unsure if there is an equivalent driver to that slot, but the other point. Also another Thing VPU recovery was a measure to prevent system locking if there is a major problem which appears to be a driver problem when you installed the new drivers. VPU recovery is designed to reset the graphics settings, which also includes the monitor.

Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 64bit
Thanks until now, lets see what happens...

Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Audio Device(s) onboard
Software Win 7 64bit
Okay, update. I set up windows a second time, and installed directly the newest drivers from ati homepage for the card. But that problem happens again... this time, add Earth2160 to the list. Now what to do.

Rurouni Strife

Processor AMD Athlon 64 X2 Windsor @ 2.81 (Artic Cooling Freezer 64)
Motherboard ECS Black 780G
Cooling 4 case fans, AC 64 Pro on Proc.
Memory 2 GB Kingston Ram
Video Card(s) Diamond Radeon 3850 stock (OC 740/930)
Storage 250 GB Segate SATA 2, 160 Samsung
Display(s) BenQ T705 17", SynchMaster 19"
Case generic
Audio Device(s) Something that makes sounds...by IDT
Power Supply 550W Corsair
Software XP Pro
Benchmark Scores 13000 3DM05
google the ativagg.dll error. i didnt type it right, because i dont know the exact error message but it happens with some of their drivers/cards/ whatever. I've had it happen once, probably more but i'm not a patient man so i just reset my pc when it appears to hard lock.

I'm sure someone on the fourms here can give you better insight than I can.