• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Das Keyboard to Demo the World's First Cloud-Connected Keyboard at CES 2017

btarunr

Editor & Senior Moderator
Staff member
System Name RBMK-1000
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5700G
Motherboard ASUS ROG Strix B450-E Gaming
Cooling DeepCool Gammax L240 V2
Memory 2x 8GB G.Skill Sniper X
Video Card(s) Palit GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER GameRock
Storage Western Digital Black NVMe 512GB
Display(s) BenQ 1440p 60 Hz 27-inch
Case Corsair Carbide 100R
Audio Device(s) ASUS SupremeFX S1220A
Power Supply Cooler Master MWE Gold 650W
Mouse ASUS ROG Strix Impact
Keyboard Gamdias Hermes E2
Software Windows 11 Pro
Das Keyboard, maker of award-winning mechanical keyboards, today announced it will demo the 5Q at CES 2017. The 5Q is the world's first cloud-connected keyboard and the only keyboard of its kind that increases productivity by streaming information from the Internet directly to the keyboard. After a successful Kickstarter campaign that exceeded the company's fundraising goal by over 580%, Das Keyboard is now ready to demo the 5Q with its connected software suite called Q, allowing information like email activity, project status, stock quotes, and sports updates to be color-coded and displayed on the keyboard keys.

The 5Q software includes:
  • A dashboard for real-time keyboard key color visualization of information coming from the Internet into the 5Q. Information can be coming from IFTTT, Zapier, or any cloud applications with a public API.
  • Mode illumination, which allows the 5Q's LEDs to be individually controlled.
  • Color effects that can be applied to the entire keyboard (e.g.: wave, breathe, ripple effects, etc.)
  • Lighting profiles that can be shared with others in a community-driven marketplace.
  • A desktop REST API that allows programmers to directly control the light colors with their own scripts.
"When we launched the Das Keyboard 5Q Kickstarter campaign, we were thrilled to see how excited our community and backers were about the product," stated Daniel Guermeur, founder and CEO of Das Keyboard. "The excitement continues as we launch this ground-breaking product along with its software suite. As keyboards are traditionally used as input devices, the Das Keyboard 5Q has the capability to be an output device. It is truly innovative, and we think it will change the way keyboards are used forever."

In addition, Das Keyboard is developing a 5Q community-driven marketplace where developers can share their open source Q apps.

On the hardware side, the Das Keyboard 5Q offers ground-breaking technologies including:
  • Extra-bright RGB backlighting electronics called Das Keyboard RGB+ with custom surface-mount LEDs, optimized lens and ultra-clear light guide - making the 5Q keyboard many times brighter than any other RGB keyboard currently on the market.
  • New Gamma-Zulu mechanical switch developed by Das Keyboard and Omron (Japan), with 1.5mm actuation point and can withstand 100 million actuations - 100 percent more durable than standard mechanical switches.
  • Real-Time One (RTO) analog technology detects key presses in 0.4 milliseconds and reports it to the computer in 1 millisecond - up to 45 times faster than other keyboards.
  • Oversized Q button, also a volume knob, activates the Das Keyboard Q software

The Das Keyboard 5Q is currently available for pre-orders at $229 MSRP.

For more information, visit this page.

View at TechPowerUp Main Site

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
Cloud connected keyboard ?
Yea no thanks.

After watching the entire video this has to be the dumbest thing I have seen since the heart rate tracking mouse.
Strange how they went from the company making keyboards with blank keys because no one looks at the keys to a full RGB backlit replacement for the notification light on your phone that's totally not harvesting your info for marketing purposes .

Last edited:
Cloud connected peripherals are the dumbest idea ever. My Logitech G502 storing all the settings in on-board memory, the best idea ever. So I don't have to setup all the shit after every re-installation and it also has all the settings in it when I potentially carry it somewhere else. You don't have to connect every damn thing to the internet to be convenient. Doing that for keyboard is just retarded and anyone buying such device should be slapped in the face.

Arnulf

Wow, spyware-prone keyboard ... as if buggy USB interface chips in some devices weren't bad enough. Whose brilliant idea was this, the CMO's 9yo kid's?

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
than using cloud, i prefer saving my setting locally
cloud = getting expensive and just for keyboard? i dont think its pretty important

Cloud connected keyboard ?
Yea no thanks.

After watching the entire video this has to be the dumbest thing I have seen since the heart rate tracking mouse.
Strange how they went from the company making keyboards with blank keys because no one looks at the keys to a full RGB backlit replacement for the notification light on your phone that's totally not harvesting your info for marketing purposes .

The irony is there, for sure. Maybe these cloud apps stuff is hiding the real new feature : A DAS with backlight!
(I gave my DAS to a friend because of lack of backlight, couldn't go back to none-backlight, and I wrote about it to DAS.)

Any of the gaming keyboards with programming I have had had much more features than I really used...

From their site:
Das Keyboard 5Q does not need Internet connectivity to be able to function.
Das Keyboard 5Q does not need any driver or software or cloud connection to work like a "normal" keyboard. However software is needed to configure the color and light effects of each keys.
If installed, the Das Keyboard Q desktop app is like a configuration app (like a mouse control panel) but for setting up the keyboard color profiles and accessing the REST API. The cloud connection is only to get signals from IFTTT, Zapier, etc...

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX 1.1
Cooling Noctua NB-U12A
Memory 2x 32GB Fury DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) PowerColor Radeon 5700 XT Red Dragon
Storage Kingston FURY Renegade 2TB PCIe 4.0
Display(s) 2x Dell U2412M
Case Phanteks P400A
Audio Device(s) Hifimediy Sabre 9018 USB DAC
Power Supply Corsair AX850 (from 2012)
Software Windows 10?
bluetooth/radio keyboards is a bad idea for security, now cloud keyboards? wtf looks like privacy went out the window

A quick check here shows: Logitech Gaming software compiles data and so does Razer software if you allow it. Also Windows insiders builds do, and the list goes on. Today it's you who have to opt-out instead of optional opt-in....

System Name Cyberline
Processor Intel Core i7 2600k -> 12600k
Motherboard Asus P8P67 LE Rev 3.0 -> Gigabyte Z690 Auros Elite DDR4
Cooling Tuniq Tower 120 -> Custom Watercoolingloop
Memory Corsair (4x2) 8gb 1600mhz -> Crucial (8x2) 16gb 3600mhz
Video Card(s) AMD RX480 -> RX7800XT
Storage Samsung 750 Evo 250gb SSD + WD 1tb x 2 + WD 2tb -> 2tb MVMe SSD
Display(s) Philips 32inch LPF5605H (television) -> Dell S3220DGF
Case antec 600 -> Thermaltake Tenor HTCP case
Audio Device(s) Focusrite 2i4 (USB)
Power Supply Seasonic 620watt 80+ Platinum
Mouse Elecom EX-G
Keyboard Rapoo V700
Software Windows 10 Pro 64bit
I can sum up these comments quite easily.

"this is different, I dont like change, dont change things ever pls"

And Im sure in time they will get more accustomed to it, and then it wont be so scary anymore.
That is until some other innovation shows its face :O

I would also like to add that just because you dont like it or it does not seem to hold value for you personally, does not mean you should have such a strong hateful reaction to it.

I mean, using words like "retarded" in general to describe something negative is a pretty crappy thing to do, but man, we are talking about a keyboard with some extra functions here....

Would you have the same reaction if some company announced a One Direction themed keyboard that is clearly aimed at younger girls?
Or would you there be mature enough to recognize this is not meant for you so you just move on to the next article?

Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900X ||| Intel Core i7-3930K
Motherboard ASUS ProArt B550-CREATOR ||| Asus P9X79 WS
Cooling Noctua NH-U14S ||| Be Quiet Pure Rock
Memory Crucial 2 x 16 GB 3200 MHz ||| Corsair 8 x 8 GB 1333 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1060 3GB ||| MSI GTX 680 4GB
Storage Samsung 970 PRO 512 GB + 1 TB ||| Intel 545s 512 GB + 256 GB
Display(s) Asus ROG Swift PG278QR 27" ||| Eizo EV2416W 24"
Case Fractal Design Define 7 XL x 2
Audio Device(s) Cambridge Audio DacMagic Plus
Power Supply Seasonic Focus PX-850 x 2
Mouse Razer Abyssus
Keyboard CM Storm QuickFire XT
Software Ubuntu
DasKeyboard 3 was great; good keys and a good controller supporting NKRO with <1ms latency. But everything has gone downhill since then. There is no way that this new keyboard with cloud integration, a huge pile of software and an API is going to have such a low latency. And with all the customization being implemented in the most bloated high-level languages around, I know this is going to be a laggy and unstable experience. I seriously don't want JavaScript and Ruby to interface with my keyboard, that thing needs to be stable.

Keullo-e

S.T.A.R.S.
System Name 4K-gaming
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X up to 5.05GHz
Motherboard Gigabyte B550M Aorus Elite
Cooling Custom loop (CPU+GPU, 240 & 120 rads)
Memory 32GB Kingston HyperX Fury @ DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) PowerColor RX 6700 XT Fighter OC/UV
Storage ~4TB SSD + 6TB HDD
Display(s) Acer 27" 4K120 IPS + Lenovo 32" 4K60 IPS
Case Corsair 4000D Airflow White
Audio Device(s) Asus TUF H3 Wireless
Power Supply EVGA Supernova G2 750W
Mouse Logitech MX518
Keyboard Roccat Vulcan 121 AIMO
VR HMD Oculus Rift CV1
Software Windows 11 Pro
Benchmark Scores It runs Crysis remastered at 4K
Cloud connected peripherals are the dumbest idea ever. My Logitech G502 storing all the settings in on-board memory, the best idea ever. So I don't have to setup all the shit after every re-installation and it also has all the settings in it when I potentially carry it somewhere else. You don't have to connect every damn thing to the internet to be convenient. Doing that for keyboard is just retarded and anyone buying such device should be slapped in the face.
I hated my old Razer BlackWidow because the Synapse software was similar crap. Luckily Logitech doesn't need the same.

How drunk was that person who thought that this is a good idea? o_O

I'll just keep using one of these with a security cable moving out from the rear. o_O

System Name natr0n-PC
Processor Ryzen 5950x/5600x
Motherboard B450 AORUS M
Cooling EK AIO 360 - 6 fan action
Memory Patriot - Viper Steel DDR4 (B-Die)(4x8GB)
Video Card(s) EVGA 3070ti FTW
Storage Various
Display(s) PIXIO IPS 240Hz 1080P
Case Thermaltake Level 20 VT
Audio Device(s) LOXJIE D10 + Kinter Amp + 6 Bookshelf Speakers Sony+JVC+Sony
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex III ARGB 80+ Gold 650W
Software XP/7/8.1/10
Benchmark Scores http://valid.x86.fr/79kuh6
We heard you like keyboards so we built a keylogger into your keyboard so you can get keylogged while you get keylogged.

System Name Miami
Processor Ryzen 3800X
Motherboard Asus Crosshair VII Formula
Cooling Ek Velocity/ 2x 280mm Radiators/ Alphacool fullcover
Memory F4-3600C16Q-32GTZNC
Video Card(s) XFX 6900 XT Speedster 0
Storage 1TB WD M.2 SSD/ 2TB WD SN750/ 4TB WD Black HDD
Display(s) DELL AW3420DW / HP ZR24w
Case Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL
Audio Device(s) EVGA Nu Audio
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Gold 1000W+750W
Mouse Corsair Scimitar/Glorious Model O-
Keyboard Corsair K95 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro
I can sum up these comments quite easily.

"this is different, I dont like change, dont change things ever pls"

And Im sure in time they will get more accustomed to it, and then it wont be so scary anymore.
That is until some other innovation shows its face :O

I would also like to add that just because you dont like it or it does not seem to hold value for you personally, does not mean you should have such a strong hateful reaction to it.

I mean, using words like "retarded" in general to describe something negative is a pretty crappy thing to do, but man, we are talking about a keyboard with some extra functions here....

Would you have the same reaction if some company announced a One Direction themed keyboard that is clearly aimed at younger girls?
Or would you there be mature enough to recognize this is not meant for you so you just move on to the next article?

Actually, I'm a skeptic and currently it's looks like another gimmick that will come and go since you have to take a moment move your eyes away from the screen and look down at the keyboard reduces productivity, and since your hands will be on the kb limits keys useful for presenting information at a glance. I don't see any feature that facilitates the need to connect to a cloud-based environment. Without a constant internet connection it defaults to operation as a basic keyboard and cannot work as advertised. This isn't a new idea and has been done before with the keyboard providing. I also don't understand your last statement because why would an announcement One Direction themed keyboard clearly aimed at younger girls appear in media meant for enthusiasts and professionals? My point being is if it wasn't meant for us it we should've have seen it in the first place.

Last edited:

silentbogo

Staff member
System Name WS#1337
Processor Ryzen 7 3800X
Motherboard ASUS X570-PLUS TUF Gaming
Cooling Xigmatek Scylla 240mm AIO
Memory 4x8GB Samsung DDR4 ECC UDIMM
Video Card(s) Inno3D RTX 3070 Ti iChill
Storage ADATA Legend 2TB + ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB
Display(s) Samsung U24E590D (4K/UHD)
Case ghetto CM Cosmos RC-1000
Audio Device(s) ALC1220
Power Supply SeaSonic SSR-550FX (80+ GOLD)
Mouse Logitech G603
Keyboard Modecom Volcano Blade (Kailh choc LP)
VR HMD Google dreamview headset(aka fancy cardboard)
Software Windows 11, Ubuntu 20.04 LTS
Actually, I'm a skeptic and currently it's looks like another gimmick that will come and go since you have to take a moment move your eyes away from the screen and look down at the keyboard reduces productivity, and since your hands will be on the kb limits keys useful for presenting information at a glance. I don't see any feature that facilitates the need to connect to a cloud-based environment. Without a constant internet connection it default to operation as a basic keyboard and cannot work as advertised. This isn't a new idea and has been done before with the keyboard providing. I also don't understand your last statement because why would an announcement One Direction themed keyboard clearly aimed at younger girls appear in media meant for enthusiasts and professionals? My point being is if it wasn't meant for us it we should've have seen it in the first place.
Absolutely agreed. As it was for the past many years - keyboard is an input device, and the monitor is an output device. I've owned my share of novelty keyboards, including once popular G15 and MX3200, and this is exactly the reason why I came back to a regular keyboard. Looking down at the LED or an LCD screen takes away more time than clicking on the notification area.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
i miss the old days when companies would just lie to you about logging all of your input data.