• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Data Warehousing a good career?

Processor i5 4670K @4.4GHz 1.239V
Motherboard Asus Z87M-PLUS
Cooling High Pressure Fan System
Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290 4GB
Storage 256GB Samsung 830, 500gb WD Blue 7200rpm
Display(s) 23inch Dell LCD
Case Silverstone Sugo SG10B
Power Supply Antec TP-750
Software Windows 10
Hi guys, feel free to say if ive posted this in the wrong section.

I dont really know who else to ask and so thought I would turn to the good people here.

I am a maths graduate (2012) in the UK and just completed my first week in my first job since graduating as an SQL data warehouse developer (SQL Server) for an insurance company (offical job title Analyst Programmer).

The thing is I dont know much about the sector, and was wondering if anyone could advise where to go from here in regards to career progression. For example in 5 years time what are the possibilities? Also is it regarded as a good job?

I admit its a strange thing to ask but I just have no idea and its not really the sort of thing I can ask people at work in my first week.

Thanks for any input.

Last edited:

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
A good career is one in which you can wake up in the morning and be excited about what you will be doing that day.
One in which there is enough variety that you will not get insanely bored by repetition day after day.
Money is secondary. If you love what you do, and strive to be the best you can be, the money will come.

I've worked in the IT industry for over 25 years now and I consider it an excellent choice.
I love working on, and building, computers and networks and all that is involved with them.
(Try integrating a old CNC machine running proprietary software on top of Windows 95 into a Windows Server Domain so it can communicate with a Windows 7 workstation at the domain level. :laugh: I loved the challenge.)

It's rare that I am doing the same thing two days in a row, unless I choose to do so.
I taught myself programming in many languages so when things get slow I can always be creative in my work environment.
It's really pretty amazing how much code I've written to make things happen in the shop where I work ... and I'm not officially a programmer. lol

As for your question about what are the possibilities in 5 years? It's completely up to you.
It's your life and your career ... take it where ever you want it to go.

Just a little advice from yer ol' Uncle Kreij. ;)

Currently somewhere around NSW, Australia
System Name hmmm... / lappy (ASUS Scar III)
Processor Intel Core i7-8086K / Intel Core i7-9750H
Motherboard ASUS Maximus XI Formula / ASUS G531GW
Cooling Noctua NH-D15s w/ 2 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM Chromax and 1 x Noctua NF-A15 HS-PWM Chromax Fans / Stock
Memory 4x16gb G.Skill Trident Z DDR4 3600mhz / 2x16gb Kingston Hyper X Impact DDR4 2666mhz C15
Video Card(s) 2 x EVGA GTX 1080 TI FTW3 / Nvidia RTX 2070 8gb
Storage 2 x Samsung 960 EVO Plus 1tb NVME/ 1tb Intel SSDPEKNW010T8 NVME + 2tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD
Display(s) Acer Predator X34P / ASUS 15.6" Screen
Case Fractal Design Meshify S2 White-TG + Noctua Chromax Fans / ASUS Scar III Case
Audio Device(s) Onboard + Logitech Z623 / Onboard
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium 1000W + PROLINK PRO903WS / ASUS ADP-230GB B Power Brick
Mouse Corsair Vengeance M65 PRO RGB / Logitech MX Anywhere 2S
Keyboard Corsair K70 LUX RGB / ASUS Scar III Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional x64 / Windows 10 Professional x64
A good career is one in which you can wake up in the morning and be excited about what you will be doing that day.
One in which there is enough variety that you will not get insanely bored by repetition day after day.
Money is secondary. If you love what you do, and strive to be the best you can be, the money will come.

Very good advice right there... Couldn't agree more... If you love your job it won't feel like it's really a "job"... It would be more like a hobby... You'd be getting paid for something you enjoy doing... :)

Processor i5 4670K @4.4GHz 1.239V
Motherboard Asus Z87M-PLUS
Cooling High Pressure Fan System
Memory 24GB DDR3 2400MHz
Video Card(s) AMD R9 290 4GB
Storage 256GB Samsung 830, 500gb WD Blue 7200rpm
Display(s) 23inch Dell LCD
Case Silverstone Sugo SG10B
Power Supply Antec TP-750
Software Windows 10
Thanks for the great advise guys, very good input and I'm enjoying it so far so looks like a good place.

Cheers

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
You are brand new at your job, Dom. Give it a chance.

You may find that you really like working in data mangement (in your case in the insurance sector) and you will find that your skills are used in many, many different sectors other than insurance.
... or you might think it sucks. In that case you will move one, but you will have gained experience and insight in the field which will make you a more valuable employee in a variety of fields.