• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

De-lidded AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D Has Vastly Improved Thermals

I'm doing gameplay benchmarks, exact same track for 60 seconds. I'm using a 1080Ti HOF so it can get a bit toasty in the case especially now when it's 34°C outside
My sample was very hot from the start when I was benchmarking it under custom watercooling on open bench, for example linpackXtreme was pinned against 90°C tjmax and downclocking
Once I put it in the daily with the NH-D14 it was constantly hitting 90°C while opening firefox and games... linpack was downclocking to 3.7GHz and reducing TDP from the usual 135W to around 95W so I was getting pretty tired of it.
After delid and applying Conductonaut it hasn't hit anywhere close to 90°C in games, linpack still pushes it to 90°C but the CPU is doing around 4.1-4.2GHz scoring pretty much the same when it was watercooled, around 310Gflops. I haven't done tests with watercooling after delid but I'd assume it's much better as well. Sidenote I'm using Kryonaut for all my tests.
To be honest I wasn't expecting such a big difference but here it is :D
That's what AMD is pushing its customers to do! The @madness777 !!!

90C under custom WC while opening Firefox? LMAO! That's intel territory BS right there!

Edit: a few :D :D :D before someone starts calling 'fanboy' or 'trolling'.

Processor 5800X3D -30 CO
Motherboard MSI B550 Tomahawk
Cooling DeepCool Assassin III
Memory 32GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V @ 3800 CL14
Video Card(s) ASRock MBA 7900XTX
Storage 1TB WD SN850X + 1TB ADATA SX8200 Pro
Display(s) Dell S2721QS 4K60
Case Cooler Master CM690 II Advanced USB 3.0
Audio Device(s) Audiotrak Prodigy Cube Black (JRC MUSES 8820D) + CAL (recabled)
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750
Mouse Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Keyboard Logitech Cordless Desktop Wave
Software Windows 10 Pro
linpackXtreme was pinned against 90°C tjmax and downclocking
Once I put it in the daily with the NH-D14 it was constantly hitting 90°C while opening firefox and games
I'm not surprised with linpackXtreme throttling the CPU, but seeing 90c on app launch is definitely not normal behavior. The 5800X and the 3D's temp can go up significantly in less than a second - even on light loads - but nowhere near that level. I don't know the specifics of your setup, but I'd suspect bad cooler mount.

Anyway, glad you got your temperature in check. You might want to try PBO2 Tuner for even more gains.

90c while opening firefox and games?

Seriously?

Im using a 420mm AIO (Arctic LF II) on my 5800X3D that is not much better than NH-D14 and i get around 50-60c in a hot room with a custom power plan that disables downclocking of cores and around 70-80c in games with 375W GPU (2080 Ti custom) dumping heat into the case.

I've seen 90c only in prolonged stress tests that use all cores and even then with added GPU load.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
the stock paste looks like generic paste where it turns into powder after a while

Ive followed this with some quite interest, but i'm 99% confident the drop in temps is'nt caused by the delid, but perhaps poor application prior to the delid. There's another "problem" the user did'nt think of. The height of the IO die and the CPU package are different. By now installing a heatsink coverage of the IO die or pressure applied too much on the CPU die itself is imminent. There where never cases of delidded ryzen's (that where soldered) that showed gains other then 2 to 3 degrees on avg. Solder would compensate for the height differences on both CPU die and IO die. Now your perhaps, applying too much pressure and who knows with a week your CPU says goodbye.

People here are complaining about temps shooting up to 90 degrees when starting up an app. Well thats obvious and PBO at work. It just boosts as high as it can while it's within power / temperature wall. I mean should have tested clock for clock, and not a boost functionality. Basicly the user just voided his warrantly completely, for a avg 14Mhz extra speed. Congrats.

Solder itself is well conducting. And AMD has bin using that on all it's (higher) end to midrange models for quite some years. There's no benefit really delidding these CPU's, other then 3 degrees max. You have more problems delidding it then gaining from it.

Can't we get special edition CPUs without IHS even without warranty, pretty cooler manufacturers or some other third party would make adapters to make sure you won't destroy the CPU.

The whole reason why IHS's existed is to protect the core(s) from being chrushed.

download.jpg

They did had cussion pads but they provided poorly protection. There where quite some instances where an edge of the core was simply broken off due to wrong application of the CPU's heatsink. By adding a (soldered) IHS with copper inside of it, most of the problems where gone.

Last edited:
System Name Skunkworks
Processor 5800x3d
Motherboard x570 unify
Cooling Noctua NH-U12A
Memory 32GB 3600 mhz
Video Card(s) asrock 6800xt challenger D
Storage Sabarent rocket 4.0 2TB, MX 500 2TB
Display(s) Asus 1440p144 27"
Case Old arse cooler master 932
Power Supply Corsair 1200w platinum
Mouse *squeak*
Keyboard Some old office thing
Software openSUSE tumbleweed/Mint 21.2
90c while opening firefox and games?

Seriously?

Im using a 420mm AIO (Arctic LF II) on my 5800X3D that is not much better than NH-D14 and i get around 50-60c in a hot room with a custom power plan that disables downclocking of cores and around 70-80c in games with 375W GPU (2080 Ti custom) dumping heat into the case.

I've seen 90c only in prolonged stress tests that use all cores and even then with added GPU load.
I've seen it happen, opening chrome causes power use of a 5900x to spike to over 140 watts for some odd reason, then after a few seconds it goes back down. Especially if its a previous session with multiple web pages.

Downloading steam games too. Hit 40MB/s and for whatever reason one core of the 5900x starts pounding and getting REALLY hot, maybe 70c, for such a basic task.

The 40MB p/s is likely due to your nic not offloading your CPU.

System Name Main
Processor 8700K
Motherboard Maximus Hero X
Cooling EVGA 280 CLC w/ Noctua silent fans
Memory 2x8GB 3600/16
Video Card(s) EVGA 2080TI Hybrid
Why do Intel and AMD make headspreaders so thick usually? A better design could leave it a lot thinner, allowing for faster dissipation, right?

System Name Purple Haze | Vacuum Box
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D (-30 CO) | Intel® Xeon® E3-1241 v3
Motherboard MSI B450 Tomahawk Max | Gigabyte GA-Z87X-UD5H
Cooling Dark Rock 4 Pro, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans | 212 Evo & P12 PWM PST x2, Arctic P14 & P12 case fans
Memory 32GB Ballistix (Micron E 19nm) CL16 @3733MHz | 32GB HyperX Beast 2400MHz (XMP)
Video Card(s) AMD 6900XTXH ASRock OC Formula & Phanteks T30x3 | AMD 5700XT Sapphire Nitro+ & Arctic P12x2
Storage ADATA SX8200 Pro 1TB, Toshiba P300 3TB x2 | Kingston A400 120GB, Fanxiang S500 Pro 256GB
Display(s) Mi 2K Gaming Monitor 27", AOC 24G2U
Case Modded MS Industrial Titan II Pro RGB | Heavily Modded Cooler Master Q500L
Audio Device(s) Audient iD14 MKII, Adam Audio T8Vs, Bloody M550, HiFiMan HE400se, Tascam TM-80
Power Supply Rosewill Capstone 1000M | Enermax Revolution X't 730W (both with P14 fans)
Mouse Logitech G305, Bloody A91, Amazon basics, Logitech M187
Keyboard Redragon K530, Bloody B930, Epomaker TH80 SE, BTC 9110
Software W10 LTSC 21H2
Why do Intel and AMD make headspreaders so thick usually? A better design could leave it a lot thinner, allowing for faster dissipation, right?
Mostly for the purpose of better structural integrity.

... linpack was downclocking to 3.7GHz and reducing TDP from the usual 135W to around 95W so I was getting pretty tired of it.
After delid and applying Conductonaut it hasn't hit anywhere close to 90°C in games, linpack still pushes it to 90°C but the CPU is doing around 4.1-4.2GHz scoring pretty much the same when it was watercooled, around 310Gflops.

The Linpack details is most informative to me. Thanks.

There has'nt bin one soldered ryzen that was delidded and showed a significant temperature drop of more then 3 degrees.

One sample cant account a thousands of 5800X3D.

System Name Pioneer
Processor Ryzen R9 7950X
Motherboard GIGABYTE Aorus Elite X670 AX
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 + A whole lotta Sunon and Corsair Maglev blower fans...
Memory 64GB (4x 16GB) G.Skill Flare X5 @ DDR5-6000 CL30
Video Card(s) XFX RX 7900 XTX Speedster Merc 310
Storage 2x Crucial P5 Plus 2TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSDs
Display(s) 55" LG 55" B9 OLED 4K Display
Case Thermaltake Core X31
Audio Device(s) TOSLINK->Schiit Modi MB->Asgard 2 DAC Amp->AKG Pro K712 Headphones or HDMI->B9 OLED
Power Supply FSP Hydro Ti Pro 850W
Mouse Logitech G305 Lightspeed Wireless
Keyboard WASD Code v3 with Cherry Green keyswitches
Software Windows 11 Enterprise (legit), Gentoo Linux x64
They pulled an intel on us. And on one of their hottest chips, nonetheless! As @ARF said above some cheap-o exec at AMD needs spanking for this dirty trick.
That's not paste, it's solder.

There has'nt bin one soldered ryzen that was delidded and showed a significant temperature drop of more then 3 degrees.

One sample cant account a thousands of 5800X3D.
That's a fair call. 135 W isn't a huge wattage ... most decent coolers should handle it without trouble.

So...do people ever learn? I ask this, because it seems like everyone here is willing to see things that make little sense.

Now, let me express this in simple terms.
1) The Ryzen processor was delidded, which in this case is difficult because the IHS is fused to the silicon by a solder interface.
2) What was found was that only one CCX was used, and the other had a silicon wedge that took the void area.
3) Whenever the solder was cleaned from the silicon, and a cooler was directly contacted to the silicon there was a drop in temperature.

None of the above should be rocket science...but it seems to be. Let me explain the rhyme and reasons that people seem to not get.

1) Why would AMD include a dead chunk of spacer in their processor?
Have you seen it? The CCX being left blank would create an area where if the same force was applied it would create deformation of the IHS rather than proper contact? This is mechanics 101. They have the spacer so that when you crank down the IHS there's no issue with the cooler and IHS making contact and distributing force on the underlying silicon evenly.

2) So, then why would simply removing the IHS cause such a change?
Well, two things. The thermal mass before the cooler decreases. That structural blob heats up to the temperature of the CCX by virtue of being in the same package...but as it's doing nothing it acts as a battery to store heat. Likewise, the change from CCX->solder->IHS->thermal compound->cooler being decreased to CCX->thermal compound->cooler removes bits from the system. By removing thermal mass, allowing for less steps in heat transfer, and thus increasing the delta between environment and energy being dumped into the cooler you get better performance. It's not hard to see why?

3) Then AMD must be stupid...right?
No. Most people don't delid. Most people don't run these processors to the redline. By protecting the processors with the spacer, the silicon with an IHS, and not cheaping out on straight-up thermal paste (looking at you Intel), AMD is doing the best for the 99% of the customers who are going to pop their shiny new processors into a shiny new motherboard and do nothing else. While AMD isn't exactly a bunch on angels, they are not doing wrong here.

4) Well, 10 degrees is a huge difference. How do you respond to that captain snark?
Why thank you, I get to do some self depreciation. Most heat transfer is conduction related. Conduction related heat transfer is entirely driven by deltas in temperature from one surface to another. This means that along with thermal mass, the more steps you've got between the point of heat creation and heat dissipation into the environment the less each step is capable of actually doing things. This is why you don't just see processors cooled with a hundred pound block of copper. It's also why going from an environmental temperature of 20 C to 80 C is pretty much negligible when the "poor" condition is 20 C environmental to 90 C source. The delta between them is 60 versus 70 , or about 17%.
But, 17% more energy transfer is huge, right? Well, no. Let's look at the difference in surface area between the cooler fins and the surface area of the CCX that actually produces the part. Maybe a factor of a few hundred, but let's just call it 200. 17%/200 = 0.085 of a delta of 0.085% per the differentiation in surface area. This means that, within reason, the results are basically negligible differentiation that is far outclassed simply by the calculated differentiation in surface areas of conduction.

So, let's wrap all of this up. There's room to improve processor temperatures, assuming that you are willing to decrease the amount of interfaces between the cooler and the CCX. There's compromises in the manufacturing process, so that most of the people buying these processors don't run into issues. Finally, all of this is in service to decreasing temperatures...which could quite easily be improved by changing to a slightly more exotic cooler, with functionally no chance of destroying the underlying processor. This is a fantastic exercise in finding a halo situation...but also an exercise in expending huge efforts for minimal gains with poor conditional definitions, that are easy for the uninformed to make sweeping statements about.

Personally, the 5800x3d is only viable for gaming situations...because basically every benchmark for other uses confirms it isn't significantly better than a 5800x. If you've got a processor that does only 1 thing slightly better, with a premium price tag, and can demonstrate that with another huge risk and premium expenditure, could be slightly better, assuming that with all of the premium expenditures already made you didn't simply buy a cooler of higher energy transfer potential...then I don't understand your thinking.
This is the red neck theory of slapping a jet engine onto a lawn mower. Technically it is faster and better, but in practice it's easier to buy a lawn mower with a wider deck to get the lawn trimmed faster. The 5800x is your current mower. The 5800x3d has the jet engine. Thread ripper is the mower with a bigger (ie, wider) deck. I...would have thought this was cool a decade ago...as I sit staring at a 3930k that is now outclassed in every way by something 1/4th the price I know otherwise. If only technology always worked like that.