1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dead Pixel?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by commandercup, Jul 5, 2008.

1. commandercup New Member

Thanks Received:
    I've read and heard from numerous places that it is in fact possible to remove dead pixels... is that true?

In my own time, I've learned that there are dead pixel fixing software which flashes different colors or something of the sort to fix the pixels that are affected... I've tried that, but nothing has changed... however it might be because I didn't run it for very long and also read that it may take a few days of nonstop running to work.

I also read that you can press the pixel with a blunt object until the screen flashes white in the area to push liquid into the dead pixel's area or something like that...

What can I do to get rid of the pixel?

I have a Sceptre 22" Monitor that has a single white stuck/dead pixel in the middle of the screen... if it was a different color or in a different part of the screen, it wouldn't bother me as much... but I'm seriously considering seling this because of the annoyance.

Here are some pictures of the monitor and the pixel. The close-up pictures aren't perfect examples of the pixel because my hand was shaky and thus the pixel created a swirl effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Thanks guys.

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  2. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a single pixel in the bottom left corner that doesnt go darker than lime green. Ive tried just about eveything myself, all to no avail. It used to bother me more than it does not honestly, but mine isnt dab in the middle either!

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. panchoman

panchoman Sold my stars!

Thanks Received:
    theres a lot of refreshing software that'll reset all of the pixels in your monitor by making them go through all of their colors and stuff, and usually this can slap a lot of pixels back into shape but if its really dead, then you cant do anything about it :(

4. commandercup New Member

Thanks Received:
    well I've heard that a pixel is only truly dead if its blackened, and mine is clearly white... hopefully thats true

can you link me to some refreshing softwares?

5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
  6. OzzmanFloyd120

OzzmanFloyd120

Thanks Received:
    A buddy of mine bought an envision monitor (it was the display model) and it had a dead pixel, he wanted to return it, but instead he gave it a good slap on the top and the pixel was fixed.
    I don't recommend slapping LCD displays, but you could try it.

7. ShadowFold

ShadowFold New Member

Thanks Received:
    Rub it. Works for me.

8. Polarman

Polarman New Member

Thanks Received:
    Apply good pressure (don't overdo it) with a rounded pen directly on the pixel

turn off the monitor while holdind pressure.

Wait a couple of seconds and turn it back on.

When completely on, release pressure.

If if don't work, see more suggestions i guess.

9. oli_ramsay

oli_ramsay

Thanks Received:
  10. aliquidparadigm New Member

Thanks Received:
    That, sir, is either a hot pixel or a stuck pixel; if it's something where, for instance, you always have aqua showing, you can *sometimes* fix that. That just means the blue and green subpixels are stuck, and those software programs people are surely posting can possibly fix it.

If it's always firing white, you've got a hot pixel; this cannot be fixed.

If it just won't produce a specific colour, you've got a dead-subpixel, which is also unfixable.

It's hard to tell from the picture what's going on there, but an easy way to tell is to put up just a solid black background: if you still see that thing, it's either hot or stuck; if it's white, you're screwed; if it's aqua, you're possibly in business.

11. commandercup New Member

Thanks Received:
    do you guys think its worth selling and trying for a new one?

or should I just live with it?

12. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    Did you *just* buy it? If so, they might accept a swap. But usually not, since just ONE dead pixel is usually within the warranty specification.

However, you could take it back, not tell them you have a stuck pixel, but say you want to UPGRADE the TFT to a better or bigger one. Every store i know will let you do that and take more cash from you (so long as it is only a few days old).

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. commandercup New Member

Thanks Received:
    bought it from newegg over a month ago, so RMA is out of the question, atleast with them

and yeah, 1 dead pixel is not covered in the manufacturer or newegg warranty anyways...

14. aliquidparadigm New Member

Thanks Received:
    I literally just got done dealing with the same situation yesterday.

If you're unhappy with the monitor and feel it's worth it: sell it, use the money and buy a new one.

When you buy that new one, get it from somewhere like Best Buy. Even consider spending the additional funds for the 4-year protection program, because they like it when you do that and are honestly more likely to deal with you complaining. I had one dead (red) sub-pixel in about the same place you had yours. I bought it on the 1st, didn't see the problem until the 3rd (I was too busy being awed at it's hugeness to analyse it), took it back on the 4th (a holiday, no less, when I'm sure people weren't in the greatest moods about having to work), and got it exchanged hassle-free. :pimp: For one dead sub-pixel. My second one is flawless; I made sure to run a simple R, G, B background test to make sure all the pixels are working.

I, personally, couldn't stand having that glaring flaw you have in yours; I would've had problems dealing with the dead sub-pixel I had, were it something that BB wasn't willing to let me exchange over. Although, I repeatedly asked the sales folk if I would be allowed to, knowing full well from extensive online research that Hannspree/HannsG has some quality control problems on the 28" monitors.

Sorry for the essay. :ohwell:

15. commandercup New Member

Thanks Received:
    I might turn around and sell it... I've got some extra funds, but I think I'll hold on to it for a while and see if it grows on me.

16. Hayder_Master

Hayder_Master

Thanks Received:
    try to knock it by your finger many times kindly

17. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    try rubbing circles around it with your finger; I accidentally dropped my laptop, and the screen got a huge blotch of white pixels, but after I did that they gradually went away.