1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dead soundcard?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by OrbitzXT, Dec 18, 2007.

1. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I have a "bluegears b-Enspirer 7.1 Channels 24-bit 192KHz PCI Interface Sound Card" with the CMI8788 chipset. Everything was fine and today I made a couple of upgrades. I replaced my Chimei 22" with a Samsung SyncMaster 2220WM, and I replaced my 8600GT with a 3850. When I put the 3850 in and turned on the system there was one long beep, and no video appeared on the screen. I had the 6-pin PCI-E plugged in, so I took out the 3850 and put the 8600GT back in and it worked. So I gave the 3850 a second shot, it worked fine. When I got into windows though the sound card wouldn't work. I uninstalled the drivers and went to reinstall them, but I kept getting a message to "Please plug in your C-media Oxygen HD Audio Device".

I even went as far to do a clean install after moving the sound card to other PCI slots didn't work. It still is not being detected. I'm going to a friends house later and will bring the card with me in an anti-static bag and try it on another system, but what could have happened that killed it if it is dead? I had an anti-static wristband on while working inside my case, I always touch metal before touching any part. Ordinarily I wouldn't care, I'll just RMA it and get a replacement but in this case I don't have the necesary wires to connect my Z-5500 speakers to my onboard sound, I was using the optical cable and can't find the other regular wires (I forgot what they're called). So without a sound card with optical output, I'm deaf :mad:

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    does 3850 do sound? you may have to select your soundcard in the sounds & audio devices in cp
    [​IMG]

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Why would the videocard do sound?

10 Year Member at TPU
  4. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    I can't even install my sound card, its not being detected. Its not that its installed and theres no sound.

10 Year Member at TPU
  5. sneekypeet

sneekypeet Unpaid Babysitter Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    the new HD 3 series cards install an HD audio that comes from the card. Spud is correct that after the driver installs windows changes settings to this HD device. Seems weird but after my HD3 series install I noticed some wierd power issues for a bit as well, If you are OC ing you may need to clear CMOS and then see if the card is recognized!

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. spud107

spud107

Thanks Received:
    maybe i didnt read the specs right, does it just pass audio from the soundcard?
    source

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    [​IMG]

The HDMI audio shown here in my Vista sound options was installed after CCC installs but part of the CCC setup drivers!

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. btarunr

btarunr Editor & Senior Moderator Staff Member

Thanks Received:
    Radeon HD3000 series have video-card based sound.....for the HDMI.

earlier Radeon cards required sound to be relayed from the default sound device. the HD3000 series card have an onboard Realtek codec

9. PVTCaboose1337

PVTCaboose1337 Graphical Hacker

Thanks Received:
    Ooop I overlooked that.

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. OrbitzXT

OrbitzXT New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hmm...maybe its not dead. A Found New Hardware Wizard just popped up, "Audio Device on High Definition Audio Bus". I'm not sure exactly what this is though, but I can't seem to get a driver for it. I tried the sound card's drivers, the on board sound drivers.

10 Year Member at TPU
  11. sneekypeet

Thanks Received:
    That is the recognition of the HDMI drivers for the HD 3800 series card. Go to ATI to get those drivers, but that still doesnt explain why the soundcard isnt recognized!

10 Year Member at TPU