• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dead X850 XT PE

detemp

Got my card wet. The power wasn't on, just the water pump, so thought I might be OK. Was using Fluid XP, cleaned up mess and let dry a couple of days. Booted fine then shut down on its own after about 5 min. Booted again and same thing after about 5 min. Figuring something was wrong pulled all peripherals out booted, but this time didn't make it to the os before it shut down. Used my other machine to check cpu, OK then ram, OK video card, damn, it's dead. Using spare card and everything else checks out OK. I can't see anything obviously wrong under magnifing glass, but got some jell like fluid from around edge of vpu when sprayed with compressed air. That was four days after spill, Fluid XP didn't work!! Have tried card again, computer powers up acts like normal but never makes it past POST. Don't get any error codes from POST card just never makes it through POST just blank screen on monitor. Any thoughts would be appreciated, I'm just hoping I might be able to salvage card. I was thinking maybe flashing video bios, could that be it? Hope someone might know something to try, or if I'm wasting my time, that it's history. Could I take it somewhere that could check it out?

Last edited:
There's still liquid under the gpu.
Here's the process i use when something gets spilled on an expansion card:
Clean the entire card with rubbing alcohol (yes, you can douse it or soak it.) and dry it with compressed air. Repeat process. Let it dry for a couple days, then heat the entire card up with a hair dryer (not too hot) to drive out any remaining moisture. (you should have done this before powering up the card, it could be fried now)
Most cooling fluids are conductive to a certain extent. All of them have a high enough resistance to not damage anything, but enough conductance to prevent a card from working properly.
I would say you're expensive X850 has a 95% chance of working again.

geeman74

i got water on mine the day i bought it it was dripping out my cpu block onto the card and down my dfi mobo
i dried it off with papertowels left it a while dried it again with hairdryer on low setting put it in and it booted not had a prob since it ocs well 594/661 max without arifacts
good luck with it
its not the first time ive heard of fluid xp breaking things when it leaks

detemp

Thanks guys, but still the same thing won't finish POST with blank screen, is there something else I could try, or a way to check whats wrong with it?

Processor X5470 @ 4.1
Motherboard Asus P5Q pro
Cooling Corsair H60
Memory 6GB corsair 1066
Video Card(s) HIS 6970
Display(s) 34" ultrawide
Case antec 700
Power Supply Corsiar 750 watt
Mouse Razer Taipan
Keyboard Razer Arctosa
Software Win 8.1 64 bit
I like to use this stuff, http://www.unicornelectronics.com/Unicorn.com/Chemicals/es1674.html I only listed this site because it had a good description you can lokk around for yourself and get it for half the price. I use it all the time and it’s safe on energized circuits too. This is a liquid that will force out any residual contaminants in those hard to get places (under ram and IC's) but dries in seconds like it was never there. Just take off your heat sink first for full access. This stuff has worked miracles for me so if your card still won’t work afterwords then it’s safe to say its dead.

A gentle scrub with a clean soft toothbrush and alcohol beforehand will get out any stubborn crud too. Keep in mind alcohol will have water in it that takes longer to dry if you dont use the pow-r-wash afterwords to force it out.

Last edited:
Processor Intel i7-8700k @ stock
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro iirc
Memory 16GB Corsair DDR4-3466
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GTX 1070 FE
Storage Samsung 960 Evo 500G NVMe
Display(s) 34" ASUS ROG PG348Q + 28" ASUS TUF Gaming VG289
Case NZXT
Power Supply Corsair 850W
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard CoolerMaster Storm XT Stealth
VR HMD Oculus Quest 2
Maybe you can return it? Just say you don't know what happened! It was working perfectly and the next moment it just went blank... ;) I would try to take it apart so that you have as bare a card as possible... I think the stuff above might prove to be usefull as well. I hope you can save it!

detemp

thanks everyone for your suggestions but it must be dead have tried everything and no response. i guess live and learn. but thanks for all your support. by the way i have spare x850 xt pe parts if anyone is interested i wished i didn't but i do

watzup_ken

Maybe you should just clean the card up and bring it back for RMA soon. :)

intel igent

System Name old school / new school
Processor 3.0e C0 @ 3.6 / e5200
Motherboard p4p800e-dlx / p5q-DLX
Cooling custom water see sig / air
Memory 2x1g oczPC4000EbPl / 2x2g ocz2rpr1066
Video Card(s) 3850AGP / 4890vaporX
Storage 36g raptor+120g wd / wd 1001fals 1tb
Display(s) BenQ / sharpAQUOS LC-37D64U
Case modded antec plusview / generic
Audio Device(s) audigy 2zs / ASUS Xonar HDAV1.3
Power Supply fan/cable modded powerstream 520 / OCZ 700mxsp
Software Xp pro SP2 / VISTA ultimate OEM
ill take it off your hands? how much you want?