• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Deathloop: DLSS vs. DLAA vs. FSR Comparison

Originally, Deathloop on PC was only available with support for AMD FidelityFX FSR upscaling technology. Recently, it has been updated to also support NVIDIA's Deep Learning Super Sampling (DLSS) technology with the ability to run DLSS at native resolution (DLAA). In this mini-review, we take a look and compare the image quality and performance offered by these solutions.

Show full review

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
Nice work.
Nice to see how much detail DLAA can reconstruct from native 1080p.
DLAA almost has no TXAA-blur
i the video, when the player moves in 1080p i observe less shadow-flickering/aliasing around the near upper left window vs the other options, wich is nice.
edge-/semitransparent-/shadow-flickering or related aliasing seem to get minimized really well by DLAA
only sad that one needs a 600 USD card to use it

DLAA looks the best no questions asked, DLSS is slightly better than FSR, but there is barely anything in it. Overall I got to say that I still don't like using any "features" that reduce my image quality!

I feel like I would only use it if I was running a GTX 1050 or something and couldn't get a stable 30fps even at 1080p, I think in these scenarios DLSS or FSR are reasonable, because you don't care about quality at that point, you just want playable framerates!

Processor Ryzen 5600X
Video Card(s) RTX 3050
Software Win11
i agree.
if i need to lower the resolution in-game, say to 900p in cyberpunk caused by my gtx 1650, "lowering the renderscale to a 900p equivalent when on 1080p" looks worse than setting it to "900p native".
so scaling vs. native can do a bad job sometimes
using more modern scaling features like FSR or DLSS at highest quality settings do a good job, but the differences in sharpness/crispness vs flicker/aliasing-reduction are quite big sometimes

i personally would call DLSS DL-Source-Scaling because there are no SSAA-like benefits in reducing the input-resolution to get to the marketed output.
DLSS 4K is nowhere near where a real 2xSSAA 4K would be, let alone a 4xSSAA 4K

compare the naming to DLAA, that thing using the full source everytime should be named SuperSampling

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
1080P and 1440P FSR looks like dog shit as usual.

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
FSR needs to have the sharpening added without question. Even in 4K I wasn't impressed with FSR (without the usual sharpening). 1080p with FSR is a nonstarter with or without sharpening.

DLSS looks over sharp and aliased in these relative to FSR which is strange since no sharpening was added. It's weird because in other scenario examples FSR looks sharper than DLSS. It's fascinating how DLSS and FSR as you reduce the resolution to 1440p and 1080p the jaggies decrease in turn. It would seem counter intuitive to increasing resolution bumping up relative DPI, but it's complicated by post process being quicker at lower resolutions since it's lower overhead for the same post process and how well the post process can aid in improving upon scene jaggies.

You people are blind, FSR is way softer and textures looked half the resolution. 1080p was very poor for FSR. Did they screw up and do FSR ultra-performance and not ultra-quality!

Shimmer issue in the video seems like it's related to Nvidia hardware in regard to FSR I didn't notice it happening in a Radeon video with FSR on the game.

Last edited:

wolf

Performance Enthusiast
System Name MightyX
Processor Ryzen 5800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 I Aorus Pro WiFi
Cooling Scythe Fuma 2
Memory 32GB DDR4 3600 CL16
Video Card(s) Asus TUF RTX3080 Deshrouded
Storage WD Black SN850X 2TB
Display(s) LG 42C2 4K OLED
Case Coolermaster NR200P
Audio Device(s) LG SN5Y / Focal Clear
Power Supply Corsair SF750 Platinum
Mouse Corsair Dark Core RBG Pro SE
Keyboard Glorious GMMK Compact w/pudding
VR HMD Meta Quest 3
Software case populated with Artic P12's
Benchmark Scores 4k120 OLED Gsync bliss
A very strong showing here for DLSS and DLAA again. Unfortunately for FSR, the Native image has issues it just exacerbates, and the lack of sharpening doesn't help either. I wonder what TAA looks like compared to FSR if we run at a lower render scale and compare at ~equal performance? if this is even possible to test on this title of course.

System Name The de-ploughminator Mk-II
Processor i7 13700KF
Motherboard MSI Z790 Carbon
Cooling ID-Cooling SE-226-XT + Phanteks T30
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR5 7200Cas34
Video Card(s) Asus RTX4090 TUF
Storage Kingston KC3000 2TB NVME
Display(s) LG OLED CX48"
Case Corsair 5000D Air
Power Supply Corsair HX850
Mouse Razor Viper Ultimate
Keyboard Corsair K75
Software win11
DLSS looks over sharp and aliased in these relative to FSR which is strange since no sharpening was added. It's weird because in other scenario examples FSR looks sharper than DLSS. It's fascinating how DLSS and FSR as you reduce the resolution to 1440p and 1080p the jaggies decrease in turn. It would seem counter intuitive to increasing resolution bumping up relative DPI, but it's complicated by post process being quicker at lower resolutions since it's lower overhead for the same post process and how well the post process can aid in improving upon scene jaggies.

DLAA looks almost sharp as Native with zero AA, but with SSAA applied.

DLSS version 2.3 (comes with Deathloop) also has higher IQ compare to earlier version too, seems like more temporal data are being used.

The pictures are clearly mislabeled as your 1440p DLSS quality image is much more clear and shows way less jaggies especially noticeable on the power lines than your 4k DLSS quality image. It is not even close so someone would have to be blind not to notice it.

System Name Red Devil
Processor AMD 5950x - Vermeer - B0
Motherboard Gigabyte X570 AORUS MASTER
Cooling NZXT Kraken Z73 360mm; 14 x Corsair QL 120mm RGB Case Fans
Memory G.SKill Trident Z Neo 32GB Kit DDR4-3600 CL14 (F4-3600C14Q-32GTZNB)
Video Card(s) PowerColor's Red Devil Radeon RX 6900 XT (Navi 21 XTX)
Storage 2 x Western Digital SN850 1GB; 1 x Samsung SSD 870EVO 2TB
Display(s) 3 x Asus VG27AQL1A; 1 x Sony A1E OLED 4K
Case Corsair Obsidian 1000D
Audio Device(s) Corsair SP2500; Steel Series Arctis Nova Pro Wireless (XBox Version)
Power Supply AX1500i Digital ATX - 1500w - 80 Plus Titanium
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Razer Huntsman V2 - Optical Gaming Keyboard
Software Windows 11
You people are blind, FSR is way softer and textures looked half the resolution. 1080p was very poor for FSR. Did they screw up and do FSR ultra-performance and not ultra-quality!
The article said FSR did not use its normal sharpening and is leaving it up to the user to apply the sharpening slider. Or something along those lines.

Processor Intel Xeon E5-1650 v2
Motherboard ASUS P9X79
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GTX 1080 FE
Display(s) ASUS PG43UQ
VR HMD Valve Index
Software Windows 7
On the first image, comparing DLSS Performance vs FSR Performance (both at 100 fps), the difference is quite striking. I didn't expect the former to look as good as native TXAA (75 fps).

EdCorps

To me DLSS Quality is barely different than DLAA at 4K, which means I would take the framerate boost. FSR looks bad across the board here IMHO. Without the sharpening it is pretty clear that the game is running sub-4K. If you don't have a DLSS capable card I guess I can see the point of FSR, but with Intel also including tensor cores in their line up, my guess is that AMD gets onboard the ML train soon as well. I seem to remember Nvidia saying a long time ago that DLSS could be utilized by AMD if they had the right hardware (I have tried to find this article but have been unsuccessful so if anyone knows what I'm talking about it would be great to know my memory isn't that bad). But, this leads me to think that DLSS will be automatically supported by Intel's cards since they essentially have tensor cores, so only the necessary driver should be needed for DLSS. If this is the case, it would leave AMD as the only one without a ML upscaling solution and it would make DLSS or XeSS essential for just about any PC game going forward. That would be a bad position for AMD cards as clearly DLSS quality is close enough that most gamers will turn it on in demanding games.