1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Debate: Floppy Drive - Obsolete or Not?

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by MDK22, Jun 8, 2008.

1. MDK22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I still use a floppy drive I find it is good for flashing the bios for both motherboards and video cards. I also have it so I can load Raid Drivers and SATA Drivers.

Do you think they are obsolete?
    Is there any one else that has had problems because they didn't have one?

10 Year Member at TPU
  2. Laurijan

Laurijan

Thanks Received:
    I myself had use a sata controller floppy disk as i installed windows xp prof.. in vista i didnt had to install it with a disk anymore.. lately i found a program which can make a bootable usb-stick out of any usb-stick so that i could update my bios without a floppy disk

3. rigelt

Thanks Received:
    obsolete! I don't install them into my PCs since over 6 to 7 years! Never ran into any problems.The only two times I was in need for a F6-Driver, I just installed a drive for the xp setup. Then removed that $5 piece of hardware again.

4. echo75 New Member

Thanks Received:
    old yes, obsolate...not really! out of the 4 PCs in my house i still maintain 1 of then with a floppy drive. there has been some episodes in the past where the floppy has saved my ass.

Besides, if you count the total number of PCs in the world, more of em have a floppy drive as compared to the number without.

5. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    Floppy drives and legacy ports - they don't bother me as much as how they're implemented.

Floppy controller/port? What can you use it for if you don't use a floppy? Practically nothing. Much like PS2, serial, and parallel.

People who need such support can use systems with it already integrated or add-on cards that provide the needed support.

6. [I.R.A]_FBi

[I.R.A]_FBi

Thanks Received:
    waste ...

7. allen337

allen337

Thanks Received:
    Use it, its there with no other use, F6 raid install, Memtest,low level format. ALLEN

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. psyko12

psyko12

Thanks Received:
    Still use it, for installing, flashing and booting to dos for some partitioning stuff.

9. a111087

a111087

Thanks Received:
    obsolete. u can do everything with usb now

10. JrRacinFan

JrRacinFan Served 5k and counting ...

Thanks Received:
    I only use it if I need secured overwrite protection, I know I can set my USB to read only but that doesn't do justice for me.

11. Solaris17

Solaris17 Creator Solaris Utility DVD

Thanks Received:
    i still use mine all the time.

10 Year Member at TPU More than 25k PPD
  12. Namslas90 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I find them handy. Have 8", 5.25", and 3.5", and a 3.5" "Superdisk" Drive.

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. jonmcc33

jonmcc33 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Legacy and done.

14. candle_86 New Member

Thanks Received:
    I use mine for my card reader actully, a lot of the cheaper ones use the FDD port and i look for boards with the FDD port because there is no reason to change a perfectly good card reader i only use once in a blue moon

15. Jizzler

Jizzler

Thanks Received:
    True, I've seen a small handful of devices that can be used on the floppy port. That why I didn't go with 'absolutely nothing' ;)

Back when Microsoft and Intel did the yearly Systems Design Guide (97-2001) I believed it was a great service by them to keep manufacturers on track. Serial, parallel, floppy controllers, and ISA slots were all on their way out back in 1999. Floppy - the drive - was fine, as long as it was USB, IDE, or SCSI.

If more manufacturers and builders had heeded this guide, I think we'd be a bit farther along by now. You wouldn't have to worry about getting a motherboard with a floppy port for your card reader - it wouldn't have existed. You'd be hooking it up to a more common and universal USB port/header :)

16. BrooksyX

BrooksyX

Thanks Received:
    I personally don't install floppy drives in my computers but I always keep a few extra nearby just incase.

17. MDK22 New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yeah I have to use mine now because my bios periodically corrupts itself. It saved my butt. I have found that for some reason usb support for flashing video cards wasnt supported well although it has been a year or 2 since I looked into it. I figure its $7 bucks id rather have it and not need it then need it and not have it. Although my bios for my board is huge its like 1MB so its starting to cut it close in terms of floppy.

10 Year Member at TPU
  18. lemonadesoda

lemonadesoda

Thanks Received:
    I remember about a year ago trying to build a bootable flash. It was a real pain. First there is no "official" support to do this, so you have to pinch utilities from, e.g. HP, to do this.

Until MS releases an official "Bootable USB ISO", the boot from flash will only be for IT experts and hacks, not for the general consumer.

COM ports and PARALLEL ports are blxxdy brilliant. I have a phone PBX connected to my COM. And I have an EPROM programmer connected to my Parallel port. I'm already out of available PCI sockets, so I'm pleased I have these ports on my m/b and dont need extra port controller cards.

But Joe Consumer doesnt need them anymore.

10 Year Member at TPU
  19. Darknova

Darknova

Thanks Received:
    I have 3 bootable USB sticks. One for FreeDos, One for ATIflash, and One for BIOS flashing.

Do I need a floppy? Nope.

10 Year Member at TPU
  20. magibeg

magibeg

Thanks Received:
    Haven't used a floppy drive since i tried to install Commander Keen on my last computer. That games awesome ;)

10 Year Member at TPU
  21. Error 404

Error 404

Thanks Received:
    :rockout:
    That game is almost as fun as Doom!

As for floppy drives:
    I use them heaps, because I like to play around with OLD tech. DOS 6.22, Windows 3.11, Windows 98, etc...
    DBAN uses the floppy disk drive, and the QNX Demo does as well. My laptop won't boot off of a USB drive, so yeah...
    I will always have a floppy drive in my computer!
    (And if I can find a 5.25" floppy drive, I'll install one of those as well!)
    Update:
    They can be used for music as well!
    http://www.hackaday.com/2008/06/07/more-hardware-music/

Last edited: Jun 9, 2008