• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Decent consumer gigabit switch

I can't believe nobody has mentioned Ubiquiti.

They are price competitive with all the small - medium business players out there (TP-Link, Meraki, Netgear Pro, Engenus, ect.) super reliable, feature leading and the UniFi stuff is super easy to manage. They are not enterprise grade but there is no reason to have that in your home but if you want real networking gear thats what I would suggest, they make Meraki look like overpriced trash in my opinion.

ixi

They are price competitive with all the small - medium business players out there (TP-Link, Meraki, Netgear Pro, Engenus, ect.) super reliable, feature leading and the UniFi stuff is super easy to manage. They are not enterprise grade but there is no reason to have that in your home but if you want real networking gear thats what I would suggest, they make Meraki look like overpriced trash in my opinion.

I can't say bad stuff about ubiquiti, but firewall... keep it away from me.

Edgeswitch are ok (except if you want to shape download, upload, multicast, broadcast, unknowncast then you need to use old web view. I guess they are too lazy to move that to the new web gui. CLI is terrible, especially on P2P radio links, but that is another case). Then there comes the switches which were designed to be controlled from controller... they could atleast implement normal web gui as edgeswitches have, no use java app...

But yeah, ubiquiti switches are reliable too.

Talking about wifi. Ubiquiti have good/great AP and I agree that when we compare it to cisco.

Last edited:
System Name heat
Processor 2990wx
Motherboard MSI X399 SLI PLUS ATX
Cooling Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory 128gb
Video Card(s) 2 2080s
Storage 100 tb
Case Asus TUF Gaming GT501 ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply 1200 cosair plat
dirt cheap and you can mod the fan curve if you want.
so its not load. that whay i did with a old 3 com one.

System Name Bragging Rights
Processor Atom Z3735F 1.33GHz
Motherboard It has no markings but it's green
Cooling No, it's a 2.2W processor
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Video Card(s) Gen7 Intel HD (4EU @ 311MHz)
Storage 32GB eMMC and 128GB Sandisk Extreme U3
Display(s) 10" IPS 1280x800 60Hz
Case Veddha T2
Audio Device(s) Apparently, yes
Power Supply Samsung 18W 5V fast-charger
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Keyboard Logitech MX Keys (not Cherry MX at all)
VR HMD Samsung Oddyssey, not that I'd plug it into this though....
Software W10 21H1, barely
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
dirt cheap and you can mod the fan curve if you want.
so its not load. that whay i did with a old 3 com one.
Not a bad shout. They're more like £75 used here (still no warranty) but that's better pricing than used Cisco at least and if the fan curve can be restrained enough to make it dometic-friendly then that's a vital bonus.

Only have a handful of HPE switches at work but they've never let me down (dumbass port-licensing shockers aside).

I can't say bad stuff about ubiquiti, but firewall... keep it away from me.

Edgeswitch are ok (except if you want to shape download, upload, multicast, broadcast, unknowncast then you need to use old web view. I guess they are too lazy to move that to the new web gui. CLI is terrible, especially on P2P radio links, but that is another case). Then there comes the switches which were designed to be controlled from controller... they could atleast implement normal web gui as edgeswitches have, no use java app...

But yeah, ubiquiti switches are reliable too.

Talking about wifi. Ubiquiti have good/great AP and I agree that when we compare it to cisco.
Networking is far from my expertise but yeah, even I can tell the Unifi firewall isn't super powerful but again it isn't meant to be, its powerful enough for small to medium businesses and next level for a home network. But again and again this is about switches not firewalls and managing all the switches and APs (and cameras if you want to go there) from a single interface is great and it lets you do cool shit like port link aggregation.

System Name heat
Processor 2990wx
Cooling Thermaltake Floe Riing RGB 360 TT Premium Edition 42.34 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler
Memory 128gb
Video Card(s) 2 2080s
Storage 100 tb
Not a bad shout. They're more like £75 used here (still no warranty) but that's better pricing than used Cisco at least and if the fan curve can be restrained enough to make it dometic-friendly then that's a vital bonus.

Only have a handful of HPE switches at work but they've never let me down (dumbass port-licensing shockers aside).
that why i bought the older models. before bs port pricing crap. that some manf do.

Processor Ryzen 5900X OC 5150Mhz
Motherboard Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula
Cooling Custom EKWB for CPU, VRM's & GPU with 2x 480mm Rads
Memory Gskill TridentZ 3600 Mhz C17
Video Card(s) Powercolor RX 6900XT Liquid Devil Ultimate
Storage Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB x 2 Raid0
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG272CQR 27 1440p x2
Case Corsair 1000D
Audio Device(s) onboard 7.1 HD Audio
Power Supply Seasonic PRIME Ultra 1300w PSU
Mouse Logitech G300s
Keyboard Logitech G19s
Software Windows 10 64Bit
Benchmark Scores R20 : 9329 Timespy: 21455
There is a reason I am holding off 10GB switches at present, we're on track to decommission some old servers (5 year old Proliant) and switches at work in the next 18months and one of the perks is I get to bring some of it home. When that happens I'll have a 10gbit managed switch and server I'll be hooking up, as such a cheap TPLink/Netgear for the next 12-18 months will be absolutely perfect for me for now.

Sorry, could have explained this earlier.

Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
Benchmark Scores I once clocked a Celeron-300A to 564MHz on an Abit BE6 and it scored over 9000.
There is a reason I am holding off 10GB switches at present, we're on track to decommission some old servers (5 year old Proliant) and switches at work in the next 18months and one of the perks is I get to bring some of it home. When that happens I'll have a 10gbit managed switch and server I'll be hooking up, as such a cheap TPLink/Netgear for the next 12-18 months will be absolutely perfect for me for now.

No matter, it's started a useful discussion on the inadequacies of 2.5G and 5G consumer options, as well as decent used enterprise options as a gigabit/hybrid stopgap.

I'm still just staggered that there isn't really a cheap, 8-port consumer 2.5G switch in the $50- range yet. Consumers have been stuck on Gigabit for about 20 years now and with 10G being extremely common in the prosumer and enterprise world for well over a decade.

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
I'm still just staggered that there isn't really a cheap, 8-port consumer 2.5G switch in the $50- range yet. Consumers have been stuck on Gigabit for about 20 years now and with 10G being extremely common in the prosumer and enterprise world for well over a decade.
It's still new, so everyone's trying to make a bit of extra cash on it.
At least there are eight port switches from multiple companies and the five port ones will soon be $100 a pop.
$20 a port is still a bit steep, but I bet in a year or so, that'll be down to $10 a port.

My now "old" GS110EMX hasn't really dropped in price ($249 MSRP) over the almost five years it's been in the market. Looking at CamelCamelCamel, it seems to have been sold at less than $180 during a very brief period of time, but that's where a product like it ought be priced after such a long time in the market.
In all fairness, I don't think it's a volume product for Netgear, but so far it and the non managed version have been the cheapest, fanless 10Gbps switches out there.

Trendnet has this, which is quite interesting, but at $400+ and no copper 10Gbps ports, it's a bit steep, but it's the kind of switch I'd want longer term. At least it has dropped over $170 on Amazon since it launched and it's apparently been sold for as little as $329. It's not fanless though... It's also not compatible with 10Mbps Ethernet :p

A couple of years ago, Realtek was showing off a cheap 10Gbps five port switch, minus PHY's that was going to sell for around $20, but I'm not sure what happened to that.

Last edited:
Memory 2GB DDR3L-1333
Case Veddha T2
Mouse MX Anywhere 2
I think 2.5G NICs need to become the default mainstream option on motherboards and NAS units before we see switches move to 2.5G en-masse.

At the moment lots of motherboards and NAS units have 2.5G but it's still only happening at the premium end of the market - so X570, higher-end B550, Z490/590 etc.

Once you get 2.5G as the default NIC on H410, A520, and Acer/Asus/Dell/HP/Lenovo prebuilts, we'll be ready for Gigabit switches to finally die off.

System Name heat
Processor 2990wx
Memory 128gb
Video Card(s) 2 2080s
Storage 100 tb
I think 2.5G NICs need to become the default mainstream option on motherboards and NAS units before we see switches move to 2.5G en-masse.

At the moment lots of motherboards and NAS units have 2.5G but it's still only happening at the premium end of the market - so X570, higher-end B550, Z490/590 etc.

Once you get 2.5G as the default NIC on H410, A520, and Acer/Asus/Dell/HP/Lenovo prebuilts, we'll be ready for Gigabit switches to finally die off.
ye most cabling now is 10gb..
so really odd there trying to push some odd gb type

This would make me think hard about using their stuff.

This would make me think hard about using their stuff.
I'm aware of it.

TLDR version a Ubiquiti (ex?) employee had Ubiquiti passwords stored in a personal PW vault that hackers got a hold of which they used to get access to Ubiquiti systems on AWS. Hackers demanded ransom but Ubiquiti didn't play and found the backdoors left by the hackers closed them up. Allegedly customer data was potentially at risk, Ubiquiti says no whistleblower yes, no logs to say either way. Ubuquit wasn't up front about all of it, hence whistleblower and "catastrophic" headlines. Either way nothing more ever came from it so while it wasn't handled well by Ubiquiti I feel its pretty overblown.

10GB over copper requires a lot of power so its not going to be cheap until that gets resolved.

I'm aware of it.

TLDR version a Ubiquiti (ex?) employee had Ubiquiti passwords stored in a personal PW vault that hackers got a hold of which they used to get access to Ubiquiti systems on AWS. Hackers demanded ransom but Ubiquiti didn't play and found the backdoors left by the hackers closed them up. Allegedly customer data was potentially at risk, Ubiquiti says no whistleblower yes, no logs to say either way. Ubuquit wasn't up front about all of it, hence whistleblower and "catastrophic" headlines. Either way nothing more ever came from it so while it wasn't handled well by Ubiquiti I feel its pretty overblown.

10GB over copper requires a lot of power so its not going to be cheap until that gets resolved.
Yes, i dont disagree about being overblown but how a company handles stuff like this personally steers my purchases. (also, I just dislike the need for cloud login on something like a simple switch - there is really no need in my opinion)

TheLostSwede

News Editor
System Name Overlord Mk MLI
Processor AMD Ryzen 7 7800X3D
Motherboard Gigabyte X670E Aorus Master
Cooling Noctua NH-D15 SE with offsets
Memory 32GB Team T-Create Expert DDR5 6000 MHz @ CL30-34-34-68
Video Card(s) Gainward GeForce RTX 4080 Phantom GS
Storage 1TB Solidigm P44 Pro, 2 TB Corsair MP600 Pro, 2TB Kingston KC3000
Display(s) Acer XV272K LVbmiipruzx 4K@160Hz
Case Fractal Design Torrent Compact
Audio Device(s) Corsair Virtuoso SE
Power Supply be quiet! Pure Power 12 M 850 W
Mouse Logitech G502 Lightspeed
Keyboard Corsair K70 Max
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores https://valid.x86.fr/5za05v
It's not odd. It's going to replace 1Gbps, as it supports the same cabling at 2.5x the speed and the chips are only about $2-3 instead of $30 or more for 10Gbps, doesn't use as much power and doesn't run hot and need additional cooling, which adds further cost.
Just because 2.5 and 5Gbps came after 10Gbps don't make them odd. By that logic, 25 and 40Gbps are odd too and shouldn't be used.

Maybe, but it won't take long, since the cost difference is already so small. Intel charges 70 cents more for their consumer grade 2.5Gbps chip over their 1Gbps chip.

Last edited:
System Name heat
Processor 2990wx
Memory 128gb
Video Card(s) 2 2080s
Storage 100 tb
I'm aware of it.

most is under req amount ie over said max distance.
end of day you have the cabling that is 1gb or 10gb.
the 10gb cabling copper. can do a normal house length with zero power issues. it over said house size. then its a issue

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(

Lucky man!! I wish I could bring home one or two of our 10Gb switches from work... Gotta love the over kill craziness :D

Yes, i dont disagree about being overblown but how a company handles stuff like this personally steers my purchases. (also, I just dislike the need for cloud login on something like a simple switch - there is really no need in my opinion)
You can run local login for the controller still as far as I know, Ubiquiti dosn't have to have any of your login information the cloud login is just for remote management.