• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Decreasing speeds

Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
I really don't know how to describe my friends situation technically, but lately her Internet has slowed down to a crawl. She thought her computer was infect, so she brought it to me and I reformatted and updated her PC to Windows 7 from XP. The problem still exist. Did a speed test and she's getting what she paid for. The problem only happens at night. So, I got the feeling someone is leeching off of her Internet. Almost every month she has nearly reached her data cap, which is very unusual. If someone did use Backtrack to access her Internet, can it be traced at home? I was looking at Wireshark.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
Put a new WPA key on her router and turn SSID off (write down the network name as the router won't broadcast it).

System Name Darth Obsidious
Processor Intel i5 2500K
Motherboard ASUS P8Z68-V/Gen3
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+ in Push Pull
Memory 2X4GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 270x TOP
Storage 128GB Samsung 830 SSD, 1TB WD Black, 2TB WD Green
Display(s) LG IPS234V-PN
Case Corsair Obsidian 650D
Audio Device(s) Infrasonic Quartet
Power Supply Corsair HX650w
Software Windows 7 64bit and Windows XP Home
Benchmark Scores 2cm mark on bench with a razor blade.
Besides the above.

Changing the name of the SSID to something which sounds like a virus or something related hacking will deter the parasites.

Processor Core i5 3470 (3.20 GHZ)
Cooling Intel OC27vv
Memory 16 GB DDR3 667mhz
Video Card(s) XFX Radeon HD 5670
Storage Seagate - 500GB | 7200RPM | 32MB Cache | Sata-3G
Display(s) BenQ RL2455
Case Dell Tower
Audio Device(s) On-board
Power Supply Corsair 600w
Put a new WPA key on her router and turn SSID off (write down the network name as the router won't broadcast it).

Yea, I changed her WPA key several times and the amount of data usage is higher than what she use her Internet for. I never tried disabling the SSID. I'll give it a try. However, I read a few articles that mentioned hiding an SSID does not really matter anymore. A very determined person could use Kismet to search for even hidden ones. What I was wondering, is it possible to use WireShark to see what someone is doing if they do leech onto her Internet?

System Name HP Omen 17
Processor i7 7700HQ
Memory 16GB 2400Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) GTX 1060
Storage Samsung SM961 256GB + HGST 1TB
Display(s) 1080p IPS G-SYNC 75Hz
Audio Device(s) Bang & Olufsen
Power Supply 230W
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD+
Software Win 10 Pro
Yea, I changed her WPA key several times and the amount of data usage is higher than what she use her Internet for. I never tried disabling the SSID. I'll give it a try. However, I read a few articles that mentioned hiding an SSID does not really matter anymore. A very determined person could use Kismet to search for even hidden ones. What I was wondering, is it possible to use WireShark to see what someone is doing if they do leech onto her Internet?

Or just log on to the router and deny all access to the router except from her specified mac addresses.

System Name Dell-y Driver
Processor Core i5-10400
Motherboard Asrock H410M-HVS
Cooling Intel 95w stock cooler
Memory 2x8 A-DATA 2999Mhz DDR4
Video Card(s) UHD 630
Storage 1TB WD Green M.2 - 4TB Seagate Barracuda
Display(s) Asus PA248 1920x1200 IPS
Case Dell Vostro 270S case
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply Dell 220w
Software Windows 10 64bit
I'm not familiar with Wireshark but you could log into her router and see what devices are connected when she gets the slower speeds. You could restrict access to just her computer as RCoon said.

Is she on cable or ADSL? Cable gets slower when many clients connect, not just to her network but to the specific node of her neighborhood as each node acts as a hub (shared bandwidth).

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
As coon said, MAC address filtering is quite good unless for some odd reason the thief finds her MAC address and clones it on his machine.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Intel i5-4670K
Motherboard ASRock Z87E-ITX
Cooling Cooler Master Seidon 120M (Push+Pull)
Memory 8GB (2x4GB) G.Skill Sniper 1866 1.5V
Video Card(s) HD 6870 (Waiting on AIB partner R9 290 Release)
Storage WD 600GB VelociRaptor (w/ 60GB SSD Cache) / 2x 64GB SanDisk SSD RAID0
Display(s) 3x Acer 20" @ 1600x900
Case Cooler Master Elite130
Power Supply Seasonic 450W G-Series (80+ Gold)
Software Win7 Pro 64-bit
While it is possible that she has a neighbor using her network to download 'hella' torrents when he gets home for the day, I've got another suggestion you might consider. It's actually a fairly commonly overlooked issue: Wirless Network Channels. Depending on how many concurrent wireless networks are broadcasting in her area, there is massive potential for interference if the Wireless Channels the routers are set to use aren't optimized. I ran into a similar problem myself at an apartment I was staying in a year or so ago. We ended up calling the ISP because, during peak times, our connection would become essentially unusable. It pretty much hit me as the tech was going over possible causes. I changed our router's channel and it was smooth sailing from there on out.

Steps:
Download INSSIDer. It's a freeware wireless network scanning utility that will tell you the signal strength, channel, router type, signal type, etc. for all the wireless networks in range.
Find her router amongst the list of signals and identify which channel she's using.
Look at the other routers, see if any are using the same channel.
If any other routers are using the same channel, change her router to use an unused channel, I usually avoid the extremes of the channel numbers (say 1-3 and 15+) because not all devices can see a network broadcasting on those channels. I usually try to pick a channel that's at least one channel away from another network. (IE if there's network A on channel 5 and network B on channel 9, I'd pick channel 7 for the router)

brandonwh64

Addicted to Bacon and StarCrunches!!!
The best wireless channel around me is 11 but this maybe different from were she lives.