• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Deepcool Gamer Storm Assassin III

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Processor Intel 8700K @ 4.8 GHz
Motherboard MSI Z370 Gaming Pro Carbon AC
Cooling Custom Water
Memory 32 GB Crucial Ballistix 3666 MHz
Video Card(s) MSI GTX 1080 Ti Gaming X
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Display(s) Dell U2412M + Samsung TA350
Case Thermaltake Core P3 TG
Audio Device(s) Samson Meteor Mic / Generic 2.1 / KRK KNS 6400 headset
Power Supply Zalman EBT-1000
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Deepcool has delivered a monster with the Gamer Storm Assassin III. This latest air cooler is comprised of two 140 mm fans and a massive dual-stack heatsink, leaving the ARGB lighting craze behind. Instead, Deepcool has focused on offering users maximum performance, which the cooler handily delivers.

Show full review

System Name Virtual Reality / Bioinformatics
Processor Undead CPU
Motherboard Undead TUF X99
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory GSkill 128GB DDR4-3000
Video Card(s) EVGA RTX 3090 FTW3 Ultra
Storage Samsung 960 Pro 1TB + 860 EVO 2TB + WD Black 5TB
Display(s) 32'' 4K Dell
Case Fractal Design R5
Audio Device(s) BOSE 2.0
Power Supply Seasonic 850watt
Mouse Logitech Master MX
Keyboard Corsair K70 Cherry MX Blue
VR HMD HTC Vive + Oculus Quest 2
Software Windows 10 P
A lot of the coolers matching each other at temperature testing using only int based temp readings. Have you thought of increasing precision by doing floating point temp measurement. That will produce a bit more resolution. I assume the temp readings are from motherboard built in sensor?

FreedomEclipse

~Technological Technocrat~
System Name Codename: Icarus Mk.VI
Processor Intel 8600k@Stock -- pending tuning
Motherboard Asus ROG Strixx Z370-F
Cooling CPU: BeQuiet! Dark Rock Pro 4 {1xCorsair ML120 Pro|5xML140 Pro}
Memory 32GB XPG Gammix D10 {2x16GB}
Video Card(s) ASUS Dual Radeon™ RX 6700 XT OC Edition
Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Case Corsair 760T (White)
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Power Supply Corsair AX760
Mouse Logitech G900
Keyboard Duckyshine Dead LED(s) III
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores (ノಠ益ಠ)ノ彡┻━┻

I mean the cooler works. Performs really well. but...

Processor AMD Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk
Cooling Dual custom loops
Memory 4x8GB G.SKILL Trident Z Neo 3200C14 B-Die
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon RX 6800XT Reference
Storage ADATA SX8200 480GB, Inland Premium 2TB, various HDDs
Display(s) MSI MAG341CQ
Case Meshify 2 XL
Audio Device(s) Schiit Fulla 3
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Titanium SE 1000W
Mouse Glorious Model D
Keyboard Drop CTRL, lubed and filmed Halo Trues

FTFY. They're not making any false claims about performance and you see this kind of nonsense with every manufacturer. Every one of them claims to have some special coating or fin design that makes their product better, but all that matters is the performance.

FreedomEclipse

Storage Samsung 970 Evo 512GB SSD (Boot)|WD SN770 (Gaming)|2x 3TB Toshiba DT01ACA300|2x 2TB Crucial BX500
Display(s) LG GP850-B
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V573|Speakers: JBL Control One|Auna 300-CN|Wharfedale Diamond SW150
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
FTFY. They're not making any false claims about performance and you see this kind of nonsense with every manufacturer. Every one of them claims to have some special coating or fin design that makes their product better, but all that matters is the performance.

I nor the video ever disputed the coolers performance. However the manufacturer quoted something about their product that isnt true.

If I say im going to sell you a burger with my secret sauce but then i replace the sauce with generic bbq from wendys. it doesnt matter that its still a burger because you didnt get what you paid for despite it saying burger with secret sauce on the menu.

I mean sure it looks like a burger - tastes like a burger but there is no secret sauce. THats false advertising.

Display(s) MSI MAG341CQ
Case Meshify 2 XL
Mouse Glorious Model D
I didn't claim you or the video disputed the performance or that the claim is false advertising, I'm just saying that it doesn't matter. It doesn't matter if the secret sauce is generic BBQ if the burger is still really good, especially when every other restaurant is doing the same thing, just in ways that are harder to verify. Take Noctua, for instance, with their sterrox impellers. They claim a lot of benefits, but who in our community has the ability to really verify those claims? The fans typically offer great performance and that's enough.

You are, of course, free to disagree with me and call this out, I'm just saying it doesn't matter to me at all.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro
I didn't claim you or the video disputed the performance or that the claim is false advertising, I'm just saying that it doesn't matter.

Thats YOUR OWN opinion though. YOU dont care. That doesnt make it any less acceptable or not false advertising.

What sort of Precedent does it set if companies can read you out a list of things that come with a product to make it sound like youre getting a better deal than others. But then paying for the product and upon it arriving at your door you find out that you dont get any of what was quoted? It could be anything not just a burger.

What if its something more expensive like a car or a house? Someone advertises a merc in pristine condition you buy it but you slowly discover that all the extra bells and whistles they quoted in the ad arent there? Are you going to shrug your shoulders and carry on? Because you just got scammed.

If a manufacturer quotes 0-60 in 6 seconds - I WILL get what i paid for. Why allow them to shirk their responsibility to the customer?

Why do you think Nvidia got in so much trouble for advertising their GTX970s as 4GB cards when they really werent??

Display(s) MSI MAG341CQ
Case Meshify 2 XL
Mouse Glorious Model D

Again, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but none of your comparisons are even valid, and if you're buying a product based on the marketing speak rather than the actual performance, you've got some other issues to deal with.

FreedomEclipse

Display(s) LG GP850-B
Mouse Logitech G900
Software Windows 10 Pro

Again, you're obviously entitled to your opinion, but none of your comparisons are even valid, and if you're buying a product based on the marketing speak rather than the actual performance, you've got some other issues to deal with.

But how are you going to know about the performance if they dont market it?? Even review sites or sites that do reviews are marketing because they show how a product performs. If nobody did any reviews and no manufacturer marketed their products then how would people know what to buy? Or are you going to believe charts that have been cherry picked to show where it performs well against their competitors because we all know how that worked out for AMD with bulldozer right??

Bulldozer infact is a great example. Because they quoted bulldozer to be 8 cores but it was really 4 cores. But they used cherry picked benchmarks to show their products in a positive light when really Intel was just so far ahead in terms of performance.

How are my comparisons not valid?? If you paid for something that arrives but isnt as advertised - its false advertising. If you buy a TV - manufacturer claims its true 4k but when you get it home you find out that its actually 1080p upscaled to 4k = False Advertising.

What is so difficult to understand? You seem to have a rather narrow minded view/opinion because so long as you dont care about it, its alright for it to carry on happening.

Imagine a world where no manufacturer marketed their products - no specs, no benchmarks no information online, No nothing. How would people know what to buy or what not to buy? You could say word of mouth but then again that is a form of marketing.

System Name R2V2 *In Progress
Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Motherboard Asrock X570 Taichi
Cooling W2A... water to air
Memory G.Skill Trident Z3466 B-die
Video Card(s) Radeon VII repaired and resurrected
Storage Adata and Samsung NVME
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Audio Device(s) Asus Strix RAID DLX upgraded op amps
Power Supply Seasonic Prime something or other
Software Windows 10 Pro x64

PC Jesus being dramatic like always.

It's a good cooler and the marketing stuff all appears to have been updated prior to release.

I really wonder if there was a language issue here.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
A lot of the coolers matching each other at temperature testing using only int based temp readings. Have you thought of increasing precision by doing floating point temp measurement. That will produce a bit more resolution. I assume the temp readings are from motherboard built in sensor?
Honestly even if you go more in depth does it really matter? A temp difference of 1-2-3C can exist between two of the same cooler tested on the same board with the same paste at the same settings, more precise just means my data might be more precise to that exact sample but that pretty much means nothing when there is a performance variance between every single sample. Even then your talking about half a degree here or there. I could do thermal probes but no one in there right mind building a system is gonna do anything more than likely load Hardware monitor or the built in mobo apps to check stuff.

My using AIDA64 typically gives me a more accurate reading along with graphs so I am able to see when thermal saturation has happened etc which is accurate enough for consumers or those on the fence in regards to a product make a decision. Also yeah alot of coolers are bunched up in the graphs. If there were less samples it wouldnt be noticeable but at the same time the only other person with a test sample as large as me is Sneekypeet.

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
needs to get them clicks :toast:

Careful, there was lynch mobs looking for me for simply suggesting he may engage in click bait videos.

*cough* We have Intel's GPU *cough"

Not a clickbait title at all...

:pimp:

Honestly even if you go more in depth does it really matter? A temp difference of 1-2-3C can exist between two of the same cooler tested on the same board with the same paste at the same settings, more precise just means my data might be more precise to that exact sample but that pretty much means nothing when there is a performance variance between every single sample. Even then your talking about half a degree here or there. I could do thermal probes but no one in there right mind building a system is gonna do anything more than likely load Hardware monitor or the built in mobo apps to check stuff.

My using AIDA64 typically gives me a more accurate reading along with graphs so I am able to see when thermal saturation has happened etc which is accurate enough for consumers or those on the fence in regards to a product make a decision. Also yeah alot of coolers are bunched up in the graphs. If there were less samples it wouldnt be noticeable but at the same time the only other person with a test sample as large as me is Sneekypeet.
Is it possible to bring back Le Grand Macho numbers in the graphs? I know that is counterproductive to the clutterness, but I think that cooler is just as relevant as and Noctua.

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix
Is it possible to bring back Le Grand Macho numbers in the graphs? I know that is counterproductive to the clutterness, but I think that cooler is just as relevant as and Noctua.
That cooler is in a relatives PC these days. At the time i moved to a different test bench and the cooler was not widely available so I stuck with samples that were still easily obtainable. At this point it doesn't have the mounting hardware necessary to bring it back as with the next CPU release coming soon I will be moving to two test platforms as well one which it doesn't have the mounting hardware for currently.

eidairaman1

The Exiled Airman
System Name PCGOD
Processor AMD FX 8350@ 5.0GHz
Motherboard Asus TUF 990FX Sabertooth R2 2901 Bios
Cooling Scythe Ashura, 2×BitFenix 230mm Spectre Pro LED (Blue,Green), 2x BitFenix 140mm Spectre Pro LED
Memory 16 GB Gskill Ripjaws X 2133 (2400 OC, 10-10-12-20-20, 1T, 1.65V)
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon 290 Sapphire Vapor-X
Storage Samsung 840 Pro 256GB, WD Velociraptor 1TB
Display(s) NEC Multisync LCD 1700V (Display Port Adapter)
Case AeroCool Xpredator Evil Blue Edition
Audio Device(s) Creative Labs Sound Blaster ZxR
Power Supply Seasonic 1250 XM2 Series (XP3)
Mouse Roccat Kone XTD
Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK Pro
Software Windows 7 Pro 64
Deepcool sounds "cooler" than noctua.

System Name Garbage / Trash
Processor Ryzen 5600X / 5600
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Ti / GB B550M Aorus Pro-P
Cooling Deepcool GTE / ID Cooling SE224XT
Memory Micron 32GB DDR4-3200 E-die @ 3600C16 / Ballistix Elite 16GB 3600C16
Video Card(s) MSI 2060 Super Armor OC / Zotac 3070 Twin Edge
Storage HP EX920 1TB Micron 1100 2TB, Crucial M550 1TB, Hynix P31 1TB
Display(s) Acer XB271HU @ 150Hz x2
Audio Device(s) JBL LSR305 + Topping D50S / iLoud MM + SMSL DO100
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Plus 850W / G-series 650W
Mouse Logitech G304 x2
PC Jesus Everyone being dramatic like always.

Fixed. And that is really, really annoying when you aren't a mental 3 year old.

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS ROG CROSSHAIR VII HERO (WI-FI)
Cooling DEEPCOOL ASSASSIN III
Memory 2x8GB Patriot Viper Steel 3800MHz CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 2080 Ti (2055/1925) / WITH RAIJINTEK MORPHEUS
Storage SM961 512GB / 850PRO 250GB / Hitachi 1TB / 2x WD 8TB
Display(s) MAG251RX / AOC 24G2U / VX2458-MHD
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) beyerdynamic DT 900 PRO X
Power Supply Super Flower Leadex Platinum 1200W
Mouse Razer Deathadder V3
Keyboard IKBC MF87 Pro
Software Windows 10
That cooler is in a relatives PC these days. At the time i moved to a different test bench and the cooler was not widely available so I stuck with samples that were still easily obtainable. At this point it doesn't have the mounting hardware necessary to bring it back as with the next CPU release coming soon I will be moving to two test platforms as well one which it doesn't have the mounting hardware for currently.
It amazes me that you've found installation of Le Grand Macho RT easy and painless in your review. For me it was litteraly the worst cooler installation ever and I'm not looking forward to installing it again someday.

Processor Ryzen 5 1600 3.8GHz@1.331V
Motherboard ASUS Strix B350-F
Cooling Noctua NH-D15
Memory Kingston HyperX Fury DDR4 16G*2 3000MHz CL16 @1.35V
Video Card(s) Msi RTX 2070 Super Gaming Z Trio
Storage WD Blue 500G SSD*1 WD Black 2TB*1
Display(s) ASUS ROG SWIFT PG279Q
Case Lian Li O11D XL
Audio Device(s) Edifier C3X
Power Supply Corsair RM750x
Mouse logitech G102 with modded micro switchs
Benchmark Scores Time Spy 9943
So many drama queens in this thread, let me grab my popcorn :laugh: :cool:

It amazes me that you've found installation of Le Grand Macho RT easy and painless in your review. For me it was litteraly the worst cooler installation ever and I'm not looking forward to installing it again someday.

The fan clips are horrible, I spent a least 20 minutes trying to mount the fan.

Processor Ryzen 7 2700
Display(s) Samsung LCD
Case Some ThermalTake
Fixed. And that is really, really annoying when you aren't a mental 3 year old.

Lashing out with insults because your feelings were hurt is actually childlike and immature. ;)

Anyway...

I was pretty sure PC Jesus was an acceptable term of reference for the nVidia fanboy/divo/drama king/owner/host/blogger/vlogger/pretend reporter of Gamer's Nexus whose first name is Steve.

Sorry but not sorry... :pimp:

So many drama queens in this thread, let me grab my popcorn :laugh: :cool:

I prefer you respect my identified gender and refer to me as a drama king, thank you very much! :laugh:

Last edited:

crazyeyesreaper

Not a Moderator
Staff member
System Name Old reliable
Cooling Custom Water
Storage 3x SSDs 2x HDDs
Mouse Mionix NAOS 7000
Keyboard Mionix

Straight from the review.

Thermalright's universal mounting system makes installing the Le Grand Macho RT relatively quick and painless; however, installing the cooler into a system with the motherboard already mounted will be a bit more difficult. Still, the process is rather easy compared to many competing products because of Thermalright's straightforward design and included magnetic screwdriver. Overall, Thermalright has done a great job here and I would, as such, rate the installation procedure a 9 on a scale of 1 (hardest) to 10 (easiest).

Installing it in the other system the board was in the case and my only real issue was with the fan clips. Then again it was also a very large full tower with plenty of room. Compared to older be quiet! coolers this was a cake walk for me but i am not the defacto authority other peoples experiences may differ. For example i know some fine AIOs extremely easy to install. However on my current test bench it can be a pain in the ass due to tubing length etc some of the twist lock asetek coolers would pop out of the mounting requiring a change up in the install routine to avoid the issue which i make note of in that regard.

It beats the Fuma 2 by 1C (AIDA 64) but at the cost of 6 dbA ... and that cost is waaaayyyy to big... not to mention the extra $30 to top my preference list.