• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Default Throttlestop Startup Profile

AnnihilatorSY

Hello everyone , I have An intel I7-8750H CPU and I use Throttlestop like all the time , now the weather is better and I'd like to make the default profile of the app when it starts is "OFF" (the Icons turns green) and I turn it on manually when needed , is that possible ? and how !
thanks in advance ♥

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
The Turn On - Turn Off button only controls 3 things; clock modulation, chipset clock modulation and set multiplier. Everything else like voltage control is always enabled regardless of the state of this button.

I have not heard of clock modulation throttling being used on any recent laptop. The 8750H does not use chipset clock modulation throttling. Most recent laptops are using Speed Shift to control the CPU speed. When Speed Shift is enabled (SST in green), the Set Multiplier function does not do anything.

For most users, the only thing the Turn On - Turn Off button does is it changes the color of the system tray icon.

In other words, the Turn On - Turn Off button has become obsolete. There is rarely any need to use this button on modern laptops. It will likely be removed in the near future.

If you really, really need ThrottleStop to always start up in the Off state, I will consider adding an option to ThrottleStop to accomplish this.

AnnihilatorSY

The Turn On - Turn Off button only controls 3 things; clock modulation, chipset clock modulation and set multiplier. Everything else like voltage control is always enabled regardless of the state of this button.

I have not heard of clock modulation throttling being used on any recent laptop. The 8750H does not use chipset clock modulation throttling. Most recent laptops are using Speed Shift to control the CPU speed. When Speed Shift is enabled (SST in green), the Set Multiplier function does not do anything.

For most users, the only thing the Turn On - Turn Off button does is it changes the color of the system tray icon.

In other words, the Turn On - Turn Off button has become obsolete. There is rarely any need to use this button on modern laptops. It will likely be removed in the near future.

If you really, really need ThrottleStop to always start up in the Off state, I will consider adding an option to ThrottleStop to accomplish this.
Oooh now I understand , thanks a lot for this information and for your kind reply!
So If I want to turn off the undervolting like when not needed , all what I have to do is disable the startup scheduled task right ?

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Why would you want to disable under volting? It allows your CPU to run cooler and consume less power. An under volt that is proven stable can be used all of the time.

If you want to turn off under volting, why not create a profile in ThrottleStop to do this. In the FIVR window check the Unlock Adjustable Voltage box and set the Offset values to +0.0 mV for the core and the cache. Switch to this profile to reset your under volt settings.

You can also setup a keyboard shortcut using ThrottleStop. Something like CTRL+ALT+1 so ThrottleStop uses a profile with voltage control and CTRL+ALT+2 to access your profile with the voltage settings back at zero. You can use whatever keyboard shortcut you like.

When ThrottleStop is minimized to the system tray / notification area, it takes up next to nothing for CPU cycles. You can turn off the icons if you do not need to look at them so it quietly runs in the background. You can use the Stop Data feature to reduce CPU usage close to zero. It has piles of options so you can run it however you like.

Using the Task Manager to disable your ThrottleStop startup task also works.