• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

delete this because less than half the people around here understand or even want to

will AMD outperform NV while using DX12?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
System Name Ryzen Reflection
Processor AMD Ryzen 9 5900x
Motherboard Gigabyte X570S Aorus Master
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Memory Teamgroup T-Force Xtreem 2x16GB B-Die 3600 @ 14-14-14-28-42-288-2T 1.45v
Video Card(s) Zotac AMP HoloBlack RTX 3080Ti 12G | 950mV 1950Mhz
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Case Lian Li PC-011D XL | Custom cables by Cablemodz
Audio Device(s) FiiO K7 | Sennheiser HD650 + Beyerdynamic FOX Mic
Power Supply Seasonic Prime Ultra Platinum 850
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
Keyboard Razer Huntsman Tournament Edition
Software Windows 11 Pro 64-Bit
you no doubt have a better understanding of it. to me its just low level optimization at this point.
ok.. nv has had better api overhead in dx11 leaving less untapped performance but with dx12 not only will both be better but amd's gpu's are just capable of more when fully utilized.
Did AMD pay you for that last sentence?

Processor FX6350@4.2ghz-i54670k@4ghz
Video Card(s) HD7850-R9290
Did AMD pay you for that last sentence?
it would have been better to say the cpu has been the master and the gpu has been the slave.. never before more untrue with next gen api's. your cpu and gpu are more like equal partners than ever before. even if nvidia is able to fully optimize overhead at levels of amd its just not enough..
what are you going to buy if you have heavy gpu accelerated workflow? well at the top is probably going to be a complete intel xeon setup followed by quadro and firepro.
amd gaming gpu's hold a spot over nv gaming gpu's for being able to do both except pushing cuda has made sales.

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Cooling 2x EK PE360 | TechN AM4 AMD Block Black | EK Quantum Vector Trinity GPU Nickel + Plexi
Storage WD SN850 500GB (OS) | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB (Games_1) | Samsung 970 Evo 1TB (Games_2)
Display(s) Asus XG27AQM 240Hz G-Sync Fast-IPS | Gigabyte M27Q-P 165Hz 1440P IPS | Asus 24" IPS (portrait mode)
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro
it would have been better to say the cpu has been the master and the gpu has been the slave.. never before more untrue with next gen api's. your cpu and gpu are more like equal partners than ever before. even if nvidia is able to fully optimize overhead at levels of amd its just not enough..
what are you going to buy if you have heavy gpu accelerated workflow? well at the top is probably going to be a complete intel xeon setup followed by quadro and firepro.
amd gaming gpu's hold a spot over nv gaming gpu's for being able to do both except pushing cuda has made sales.
Wow................

Aquinus

Resident Wat-man
System Name Apollo
Processor Intel Core i9 9880H
Motherboard Some proprietary Apple thing.
Memory 64GB DDR4-2667
Video Card(s) AMD Radeon Pro 5600M, 8GB HBM2
Storage 1TB Apple NVMe, 4TB External
Display(s) Laptop @ 3072x1920 + 2x LG 5k Ultrafine TB3 displays
Case MacBook Pro (16", 2019)
Audio Device(s) AirPods Pro, Sennheiser HD 380s w/ FIIO Alpen 2, or Logitech 2.1 Speakers
Power Supply 96w Power Adapter
Mouse Logitech MX Master 3
Keyboard Logitech G915, GL Clicky
Software MacOS 12.1
it would have been better to say the cpu has been the master and the gpu has been the slave.. never before more untrue with next gen api's.
You mean the APIs we haven't really seen in action yet except for Mantle? Sounds like optimization still lies on the engine.
your cpu and gpu are more like equal partners than ever before.
Like HSA? DX12 doesn't really do anything about this.
even if nvidia is able to fully optimize overhead at levels of amd its just not enough..
...and what is that supposed to mean? Reducing overhead isn't going to result in some crazy amount of performance improvement.
Not precisely. There is a reason why the Quadro and FirePro use ECC memory and have a bigger feature set. It's not just a huge price tag because you can get consumer grade hardware to do the same thing. That would be insane. I also don't think CUDA has really does wonders for nVidia.

Lastly, re-read your posts. It took me 10 times through to understand what you were trying to say with your decrepit English.
Wow................
I thought so...

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
The problem isn't bandwidth, it's latency. Whenever the GPU needs to stream data from the CPU's memory pool, the GPU has to wait to get that data. So even if it were only to need to send one packet of PCI-E data, it has to wait for that one packet. Bandwidth gives you more of something over time, it does not make it respond faster. This is by no means a result of PCI-E being bad, it's just a result of people forgetting how the actual physical length of PCI-E is long and it takes time for the electrical signal to travel. It's the same argument for moving from GDDR5 to HBM; you're moving memory closer to the GPU therefore latency will be less of a problem (hence why bandwidth was hiked with the super wide bus because it's right next to the GPU, almost like another level of cache (think eDRAM on Iris Pro.)

Also consider this, if a GPU uses its own memory, you have a workflow like this:
GPU Cores -> GPU IMC -> VRAM -> GPU IMC -> GPU Cores
If you have to stream data, you end up doing something like this.
GPU Cores -> GPU IMC -> GPU PCI-E interface -> (Possible PLX chip or PCH,) -> CPU PCI-E interface -> CPU IMC -> Main Memory -> CPU IMC -> CPU PCI-E Interface -> (Possible PLX chip or PCH,) -> GPU PCI-E interface -> GPU IMC -> GPU Cores.

I think you can clearly see why there it latency associated with a GPU needing system memory. Simple fact is no interface is going to change this because latency is determined by circuit distance and the number of devices involved in the entire process.

I'd love to see FO used at some point for CPU/GPU interconnects, but there's more to this than just circuit length. Right now there's a lot of waiting for the CPU to send the GPU rendering data, but they're working on more of the calculations be handled by the GPU, and not just due to more draw calls being possible. It's also because they're streamlining instruction sets. The Forza Dx12 demo clearly points this out. Particularly regarding repeated identical instructions, they're consolidating that into less work.

Here's the thing though, I really don't get why many are being pessimistic about this, almost implying there will be too much bottlenecking to get much gain at all out of low level APIs. Mantle has already proven otherwise in games it's used well in. Sure it won't be several times the performance, but enough gain to certainly be worthwhile and a big step forward.

And now we have a unilateral low level API that both AMD and Nvidia users can benefit from, and some act like it's just a bluff. These are good times for gaming people.

You mean the APIs we haven't really seen in action yet except for Mantle? Sounds like optimization still lies on the engine.

Like HSA? DX12 doesn't really do anything about this.

...and what is that supposed to mean? Reducing overhead isn't going to result in some crazy amount of performance improvement.

Not precisely. There is a reason why the Quadro and FirePro use ECC memory and have a bigger feature set. It's not just a huge price tag because you can get consumer grade hardware to do the same thing. That would be insane. I also don't think CUDA has really does wonders for nVidia.

Lastly, re-read your posts. It took me 10 times through to understand what you were trying to say with your decrepit English.

I thought so...
yup makes since to me..
your failing to grasp all the changes taking place in windows 10.. dx12 will run better by design on a hsa apu but it has such great latency improvement even with traditional systems that microsoft makes little claims other than performance performance performance!
reducing overhead and low level optimizations have nothing to do with performance? better get that memo out there and tell microsoft and amd they are doing it wrong..

Last edited:
I'd love to see FO used at some point for CPU/GPU interconnects, but there's more to this than just circuit length. Right now there's a lot of waiting for the CPU to send the GPU rendering data, but they're working on more of the calculations be handled by the GPU, and not just due to more draw calls being possible. It's also because they're streamlining instruction sets. The Forza Dx12 demo clearly points this out. Particularly regarding repeated identical instructions, they're consolidating that into less work.

the multi threaded command buffer

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
You missed the discussion here. We are talking about how DX12 pumps up AMD's performance compare to DX11. That benefit doesn't exist in nVidia's cards, cause they are well optimized for Dx11 now and have nothing to unlock with DX12.

Nvidia do get a boost to draw calls, just not as great as AMD. where AMD may triple, nvidia may only get double. (this is a rough, vague example)

System Name Space Station
Processor Intel 13700K
Motherboard ASRock Z790 PG Riptide
Cooling Arctic Liquid Freezer II 420
Memory Corsair Vengeance 6400 2x16GB @ CL34
Video Card(s) PNY RTX 4080
Storage SSDs - Nextorage 4TB, Samsung EVO 970 500GB, Plextor M5Pro 128GB, HDDs - WD Black 6TB, 2x 1TB
Display(s) LG C3 OLED 42"
Case Corsair 7000D Airflow
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V371
Power Supply SeaSonic Vertex 1200w Gold
Mouse Razer Basilisk V3
Keyboard Bloody B840-LK
Software Windows 11 Pro 23H2
Nvidia do get a boost to draw calls, just not as great as AMD. where AMD may triple, nvidia may only get double. (this is a rough, vague example)

AMD is cramming so many ACE units into their GPUs they ought to adopt Snoopy as their mascot.

even toasters can fly?

i couldnt always agree with arnold as a governor but he hit it on the head this time..

Last edited:
Actually any optimizations in DX11 are miniscule in comparison of performance increase DX12 will bring to both teams because draw call overhead is a CPU side optimization. Increase will be so radical that CPU bottleneck in gaming will be thing of a past and that completely shifts balance to GPUs where Nvidia has upper hand in geometry and pixel pushing power while AMD has more shading performance and memory bandwith. That's where the dis-balance is, not in DX12 benefits, they will be win for all.
The problem with AMD is a software stack limitation with DX11. Nvidia have done a better job at extracting parallel threaded operation for their driver stack, whereas AMD rely on a single CPU thread. DX11 allows limited gains, but Nvidia went for it & it paid off with ~50% performance over AMD. Peculiarly, AMD's command processor is reputedly more robust than Nvidia's and hence benefits more from DX12/Mantle/Vulkan explicit multi-threading. Additionally the HW compromises needed due to 28nm for Maxwell (which resulted in good perf/watt in current gaming workloads) may be less beneficial going forward. Though by the time it matters, I expect both IHVs will have new architectures on 14/16nm...

System Name Mroofie / Mroofie
Processor Inte Cpu i5 4460 3.2GHZ Turbo Boost 3.4
Motherboard Gigabyte B85M-HD3
Cooling Stock Cooling
Memory Apacer DDR3 1333mhz (4GB) / Adata DDR3 1600Mhz(8GB) CL11
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gtx 960 WF
Storage Seagate 1TB / Seagate 80GB / Seagate 1TB (another one)
Display(s) Philips LED 24 Inch 1080p 60Hz
Case Zalman T4
Audio Device(s) Meh
Power Supply Antec Truepower Classic 750W 80 Plus Gold
Mouse Meh
Keyboard Meh
VR HMD Meh
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores Meh
System Name Windows 10 64-bit Core i7 6700
Processor Intel Core i7 6700
Motherboard Asus Z170M-PLUS
Cooling Corsair AIO
Memory 2 x 8 GB Kingston DDR4 2666
Video Card(s) Gigabyte NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB
Storage Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB, Seagate Baracuda 1 TB
Display(s) Dell P2414H
Case Corsair Carbide Air 540
Audio Device(s) Realtek HD Audio
Power Supply Corsair TX v2 650W
Mouse Steelseries Sensei
Keyboard CM Storm Quickfire Pro, Cherry MX Reds
Software MS Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

1 draw call time = overhead time of an API + rendering time for that specific object
1 synced frame at 60 fps = 16 ms
draw calls per frame = 16 ms / (overhead + rendering)

If GPU draws non-shaded cubes (very small rendering time) then behold explosion of draw calls with less overhead in DX12. Most of the draw call time is cut down.
If GPU draws complex shaded tesselated objects (long render time per object) less of a gain happens when we reduce the overhead. Here, draw call time was not wasted predominantly on overhead in the first place.

Because of this, game designers always separate static geometry from dynamic in a sense that all static geometry is being baked together to reduce separate draw calls - for example if you have 17 non moving buildings in the distance, you don't do 17 draw calls one for each building, rather 1 draw call for a group of 17 buildings as a single object. It's called batching and is very effective in reducing draw calls when same materials/shaders are reused all over the game world. This technique alone is offsetting most of the shortcomings DX11 has in terms of overhead.

So the draw call number per frame will grow but not based on GPU architecture, but based on complexity of each object being drawn. The balance can go both ways once constraints are lifted: will it be in favor of more detailed objects because available draw call balance per frame will be high enough, or more different objects on screen because quality of each individual object is high enough.
This shift in balance will only make developers free to make more game objects animated by CPU and physically simulated by CPU, and use much more varied materials in their game.

The problem with AMD is a software stack limitation with DX11. Nvidia have done a better job at extracting parallel threaded operation for their driver stack, whereas AMD rely on a single CPU thread. DX11 allows limited gains, but Nvidia went for it & it paid off with ~50% performance over AMD. Peculiarly, AMD's command processor is reputedly more robust than Nvidia's and hence benefits more from DX12/Mantle/Vulkan explicit multi-threading. Additionally the HW compromises needed due to 28nm for Maxwell (which resulted in good perf/watt in current gaming workloads) may be less beneficial going forward. Though by the time it matters, I expect both IHVs will have new architectures on 14/16nm...

It's true for DX11 drivers, nvidia's gain is not negligible here. However AMD's disadvantage in DX11 shouldn't be looked as an direct relative advantage in DX12 - complexity of each draw call will dictate peak number of draw calls per frame more than anything else.

IMO it will come to this - Nvidia will still be better with high detailed geometry and AMD as of Fiji now will be better with shader performace especially if shader uses many different textures to sample from. DX12 overhead differences will translate to slightly different CPU core usage percentages (much below 100% mind you, bottleneck will never be on CPU with DX12 unless played on Atom).

Last edited:
Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Motherboard Asus Z390 Maximus XI Code
Cooling 6x120mm Corsair HD120 RBG fans
Memory Corsair Vengeance RBG 2x8GB 3600MHz
Video Card(s) Asus RTX 3080Ti STRIX OC
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Display(s) Corsair Xeneon 32" 32UHD144 4K
Case Corsair 570x RBG Tempered Glass
Audio Device(s) Onboard / Corsair Virtuoso XT Wireless RGB
Power Supply Corsair HX850w Platinum Series
Mouse Logitech G604s
Keyboard Corsair K70 Rapidfire
Software Windows 11 x64 Professional
Benchmark Scores Firestrike - 23520 Heaven - 3670
I feel like nothing good is going to come of this thread.

Easy Rhino

Linux Advocate
Staff member
System Name Desktop
Processor i5 13600KF
Motherboard AsRock B760M Steel Legend Wifi
Cooling Noctua NH-U9S
Memory 4x 16 Gb Gskill S5 DDR5 @6000
Video Card(s) Gigabyte Gaming OC 6750 XT 12GB
Storage WD_BLACK 4TB SN850x
Display(s) Gigabye M32U
Case Corsair Carbide 400C
Audio Device(s) On Board
Power Supply EVGA Supernova 650 P2
Mouse MX Master 3s
Keyboard Logitech G915 Wireless Clicky
Software The Matrix
Meh. I am still looking forward to quantum computing.

1 draw call time = overhead time of an API + rendering time for that specific object
1 synced frame at 60 fps = 16 ms
draw calls per frame = 16 ms / (overhead + rendering)

If GPU draws non-shaded cubes (very small rendering time) then behold explosion of draw calls with less overhead in DX12. Most of the draw call time is cut down.
If GPU draws complex shaded tesselated objects (long render time per object) less of a gain happens when we reduce the overhead. Here, draw call time was not wasted predominantly on overhead in the first place.

Because of this, game designers always separate static geometry from dynamic in a sense that all static geometry is being baked together to reduce separate draw calls - for example if you have 17 non moving buildings in the distance, you don't do 17 draw calls one for each building, rather 1 draw call for a group of 17 buildings as a single object. It's called batching and is very effective in reducing draw calls when same materials/shaders are reused all over the game world. This technique alone is offsetting most of the shortcomings DX11 has in terms of overhead.

So the draw call number per frame will grow but not based on GPU architecture, but based on complexity of each object being drawn. The balance can go both ways once constraints are lifted: will it be in favor of more detailed objects because available draw call balance per frame will be high enough, or more different objects on screen because quality of each individual object is high enough.
This shift in balance will only make developers free to make more game objects animated by CPU and physically simulated by CPU, and use much more varied materials in their game.

It's true for DX11 drivers, nvidia's gain is not negligible here. However AMD's disadvantage in DX11 shouldn't be looked as an direct relative advantage in DX12 - complexity of each draw call will dictate peak number of draw calls per frame more than anything else.

IMO it will come to this - Nvidia will still be better with high detailed geometry and AMD as of Fiji now will be better with shader performace especially if shader uses many different textures to sample from. DX12 overhead differences will translate to slightly different CPU core usage percentages (much below 100% mind you, bottleneck will never be on CPU with DX12 unless played on Atom).
makes a lot of since to me except a little of it..
they directly show how the multithreaded command buffer results in higher fps and i have seen the amd gaming "scientist" explain how these measurements mean exactly that.
Core i7-4960X that was used for the tests i have posted is much faster fx-9590 on 1 core.. do a little math and you will see not only will budget cpu's get a boost but expensive cpu's have always been able to do more. on top of that the tests are also done at 4k that is suppose to make situations more gpu dependent and less cpu dependent.

AMD is cramming so many ACE units into their GPUs they ought to adopt Snoopy as their mascot.

this is exactly it^^^^ the multithread command buffer and async shaders that are better utilized on amd's architecture are revolutionary!!

Last edited by a moderator:

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
@xfia

you do like to double post
try using the EDIT BUTTON to merge your posts
Mods have been known to put naughty boys who break the rules persistently over their virtual knee for a spanking

Processor Intel i9 9900K @5GHz w/ Corsair H150i Pro CPU AiO w/Corsair HD120 RBG fan
Storage Samsung 970 EVO Plus 500GB , 970 EVO 1TB, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD, 10TB Synology DS1621+ RAID5
Mouse Logitech G604s
@CrAsHnBuRnXp

you on page 3 of too late
I wasnt about to go through all 3 pages to find all the bitching and moaning. Even if I am late to the party, still doesnt mean that vacations cant be given out from my post onward. :)

@dorsetknob hm well this site is horribly optimized for editing and finding anything so why bother?
so you just came in here to troll and say nothing at all about the topic?
@CrAsHnBuRnXp so you came in just to say that and didnt even read any of it?
starting to think half the no answers up there are just nvidia fan boys that have no understanding at all about what any of this means.

dorsetknob

"YOUR RMA REQUEST IS CON-REFUSED"
Dorset where else eh? >>> Thats ENGLAND<<<
hm well this site is horribly optimized for editing and finding anything so why bother?

There is an edit button at the bottom of each post you make
How difficult is it to click that

by the way its next to the Delete button and the Report button

Mouse Logitech G604s
@dorsetknob hm well this site is horribly optimized for editing and finding anything so why bother?
starting to think half the no answers up there are just nvidia fan boys that have no understanding at all about what any of this means.
I dont need to read any of it because no one is going to know anything until Windows 10 and DX12 titles start appearing. Why bother speculating and causing arguments that dont need to be argued?

And this is coming from what appears to us as an AMD "fanboy", right?

I dont need to read any of it because no one is going to know anything until Windows 10 and DX12 titles start appearing. Why bother speculating and causing arguments that dont need to be argued?

And this is coming from what appears to us as an AMD "fanboy", right?
why bother coming here at all then? i mean a lot of the articles are stuff that a engineer would laugh at..
just how important is gpu vram bandwidth?? why the hell did they make compression and hbm?? idk but im gonna write a article and explain how the measurements might be bs:laugh:

Mouse Logitech G604s
why bother coming here at all then? i mean a lot of the articles are stuff that a engineer would laugh at..
just how important is gpu vram bandwidth?? why the hell did they make compression and hbm?? idk but im gonna write a article and explain how the measurements might be bs:laugh:
I dont know. Why do you bother coming here then? And why are we suddenly talking articles when all you did is pull some AMD slideshow screenshots from god knows where and link a Youtube video. You didnt even bother providing anything to your question/argument in your OP. You just posted a question in the Subject and called it a day. Then come back to argue with everyone else who posts anything.

And you didnt even source the screenshots. So please tell me why any of us in this thread should take anything you say seriously?

MxPhenom 216

ASIC Engineer
Mouse Razer Viper v2 Pro

Nvidia fanboys don't make threads like this, so what does this say about you, who looks to only run AMD Gpus?

Status
Not open for further replies.