• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell 8300 XPS(LGA1155) CPU Updrade(2nd to 3rd Gen.) on Linux OS

Groanio

Hi all,
Recently, I purchased Dell 8300xps(THX) workstation(case aesthetics&quality[and price] was a plus plus for me): especially when considering the PC's total running-time(as per the original 1TB hdd) was less than 1000hrs. I've already upgraded the RAM and added an additional SSD. I'm now looking to upgrade the CPU (Dell advises the board only supports 2nd Gen. and as per BIOS). But, here's my question, as my OS is Linux Mint, which negates the BIOS: that is, the Linux kernel provides all the necessary hardware/software support. I'm wondering whether 3rd generation LGA1155 CPU support is possible via the Linux kernel. Has anyone had a similar situation/experiance or perhaps a more technical knowledge/viewpoint, as to my upgrade possibilities, relative to Linux OS. I believe I've seen a post previously, whereas someone did achieve a positive result?
m/b: DH 67M01 TB0420.
Many thanks, in advance, for any help or input!

System Name Bruh
Processor 10700K 5.3Ghz 1.35v| i7 7920HQ 3.6Ghz -180Mv |
Motherboard Z490 TUF Wifi | Apple QMS180 |
Cooling EVGA 360MM | Laptop HS |
Memory DDR4 32GB 3600Mhz CL16 | LPDDR3 16GB 2133Mhz CL20 |
Video Card(s) Asus ROG Strix 3080 (2100Mhz/18Ghz)|Radeon Pro 560 (1150Mhz/1655Mhz)|
Storage Many SSDs, ~24TB HDD/8TB SSD
Display(s) S2719DGF, HP Z27i, Z24n| 1800P 15.4" + ZR30W + iPad Pro 10.5 2017
Case NR600 | MBP 2017 15" Silver | MSI GE62VR | Elite 120 Advanced
Audio Device(s) Lol imagine caring about audio
Power Supply 850GQ | Apple 87W USB-C |
Mouse Whatever I have on hand + trackpads (Lanchead TE)
Keyboard HyperX Origins Alloy idk
Software W10 20H2|W10 1903 LTSC/MacOS 11
Benchmark Scores No.
That makes no sense and obviously will not work lol

tabascosauz

Supporter
Staff member
System Name ab┃ob
Processor 7800X3D┃5800X3D
Motherboard B650E PG-ITX┃X570 Impact
Cooling NH-U12A + T30┃AXP120-x67
Memory 64GB 6000CL30┃32GB 3600CL14
Video Card(s) RTX 4070 Ti Eagle┃RTX A2000
Storage 8TB of SSDs┃1TB SN550
Display(s) 43" QN90B / 32" M32Q / 27" S2721DGF
Case Caselabs S3┃Lazer3D HT5
But, here's my question, as my OS is Linux Mint, which negates the BIOS

What?

The firmware on the H67 board decides your CPU support and whether you'll even be able to POST with an Ivy Bridge CPU. Operating systems have nothing to do with that. A retail H67 board would not be able to support Ivy without the vendor releasing a new BIOS update, and neither would an OEM H67 board.

Latest BIOS for XPS 8300, A06, dates back to November of 2011 and supports Sandy Bridge only. There is no Ivy Bridge support for XPS 8300, period. The rumored beta A07 BIOS referred to on a number of obscure forums is not officially available, and all unofficial download links to it have long since been dead.

If you buy an Ivy Bridge CPU, it will not POST, and you will be wasting your time and money.

Groanio

What?

The firmware on the H67 board decides your CPU support and whether you'll even be able to POST with an Ivy Bridge CPU. Operating systems have nothing to do with that. A retail H67 board would not be able to support Ivy without the vendor releasing a new BIOS update, and neither would an OEM H67 board.

Latest BIOS for XPS 8300, A06, dates back to November of 2011 and supports Sandy Bridge only. There is no Ivy Bridge support for XPS 8300, period. The rumored beta A07 BIOS referred to on a number of obscure forums is not officially available, and all unofficial download links to it have long since been dead.

If you buy an Ivy Bridge CPU, it will not POST, and you will be wasting your time and money.
Thanks for that response, just an ounce of clarity is all that I needed. That said, and in-between times, and because I had a CEX voucher that had hung around for months on end(for princely sum of £6) temptation just got the better of me and sadly I spent £5 on the 2nd cheapest Ivy Bridge(3rd Gen. CPU) that was in-stock, at CEX, and available to order on-line. But never fear, I'll shall be returned straight back to store and I'll get myself re-vouchered-up again!

Could I pick your brains for a bit more info. if possible relative to Dell motherboards and Ivy Bridge?

What I really want to do now is upgrade my motherboard to the Ivy Bridge(3rd Gen) as per the Dell Ivy Bridge releases. Normally, I wouldn't be bothered to go in this route, that is a Dell motherboard and an already relatively dated CPU upgrade. But, as I'm pals with the owner of a local authorized Dell recycle center/shop outlet, he will let me go through his mountain of (older!) stock and pull-out a board and CPU to suit: it'll be sold as seen, within reason. So therefore, to my mind and thinking, a board that can run a 3rd Gen. Xeon processor(the store is a Hi-Street consumer retail outlet(that is, not business orientated) so a Xeon processor would probably be cheaper still. I'm already running a discrete Graphics Card, which I do intend upgrade sometime very soon, and which is where my limited budget will spent.
Again, many thanks in advance for any help or input - lols an all!