• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell alienware 17 r5 8750h Undervolting Help needed.

System Name dell alienware 17 r5 Laptop
Processor 8th Generation Core i7-8750H Hexa Core Processor (6 Cores - 12 Threads)
Memory 16 Gb
Video Card(s) Gtx 1070
Hi, I'm currently using Dell alienware 17 r5 8750h and GTX 1070 and it gets real hot when gaming. The max temp reaches 96-100°C. Hi i am newbie in Undervolting my laptop using ThrottleStop software and don't want to risk getting wrong settings . I want to fix that issue .Any expert that recommend me the best settings that i can try in ThrottleStop.

Attachments

• ThrottleStop.PNG
    ThrottleStop.PNG
    31 KB · Views: 646
  • Cpu caxhe.PNG
    Cpu caxhe.PNG
    54.1 KB · Views: 607
  • CpuCore.PNG
    CpuCore.PNG
    56.2 KB · Views: 571
  • Turbo power limits.PNG
    Turbo power limits.PNG
    17.9 KB · Views: 567

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Head to YouTube and do a search for ThrottleStop. It is always a good idea to learn a little about a subject before jumping into the deep end of the pool.

Checking the FIVR Unlock Adjustable Voltage box and setting the CPU core and CPU cache offset voltages both to -125 mV is a good place to start testing. If you see a blue screen (BSOD), your CPU needs some more voltage so reduce your under volt to -100 mV and test again. Also make sure you can pass a 1, 2 and a 4 Thread TS Bench test. This test will start to report errors if you have gone too far with your undervolt. Cinebench R20 is a good real world test. Open up Limit Reasons while this test is running so you can watch for throttling. The rest of your ThrottleStop settings look OK.

After you have done lots of testing and you are confident that your under volt is stable, then you can check the FIVR option, OK - Save voltages immediately. Some guides recommend checking this right away but that is a mistake. It is never a good idea to save voltages that are not stable.

Last edited:
System Name dell alienware 17 r5 Laptop
Processor 8th Generation Core i7-8750H Hexa Core Processor (6 Cores - 12 Threads)
Memory 16 Gb
Video Card(s) Gtx 1070
Thanks sir for helping me i run Cinebench R20 1st thing i noticed that my CPU runs only 2.8 to 2.9 gh Can u explain little detail about the what yellow and red colors Pl 2 and EDP means in Open up Limit Reasons i upload the picture.

Attachments

• defult test.PNG
    defult test.PNG
    77.4 KB · Views: 376

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Can u explain
Yellow boxes in ThrottleStop are a record of any previous throttling since you turned on your computer. Red boxes are an indication that throttling is in progress.

The main ThrottleStop screen shows PROCHOT 97°C and there is a check mark in the box beside that. The 97°C value indicates that Dell decided to lower the thermal throttling temperature from the Intel specified 100°C value down to 97°C. That is not good but it is typical. Many OEMs have decided not to listen to Intel and have decided to set their own thermal throttling temperature. The check mark confirms that your CPU reached this temperature. Even if your CPU only thermal throttles for a millisecond, there will be a record of this happening. This information is stored within the CPU. If ThrottleStop was not running at the time, as soon as you start ThrottleStop, it will show you a check mark in this box if there has been any thermal throttling. You can click on this box if you want to delete this throttling info from the CPU. If you look at Limit Reasons, the yellow box that says THERMAL also confirms thermal throttling. When thermal throttling is in progress, the THERMAL box will be red.

Are you doing any under volting yet? This is usually the first thing users do to try and reduce their peak core temperatures. Less voltage equals less power consumption and less heat to dissipate. Some users will open up their new laptop and replace the thermal paste between the heatsink and the CPU. One should not have to do either of these things but this is the state of high performance gaming laptops that come with 6 core Intel CPUs.

When under volting, most users with the 8750H start testing with the CPU core and CPU cache offset voltages both set to -125 mV. If this is working correctly, when you press the Apply button in the ThrottleStop FIVR window, you should see these voltages immediately appear in the monitoring table in the top right corner under the Offset column. Under volting can make a gaming laptop a lot more tolerable to use. Sadly, another security vulnerability has come to Intel's attention so they have released a microcode update to block under volting. Dell and HP have started adding this microcode update to their laptops. If you have recently updated your BIOS, you might have already lost the ability to under volt and take control of your laptop. After setting an under volt and hitting Apply, if you continue to see a column of +0.0000 in the Offset voltage column, that confirms that under volting has been disabled.

PL2 lighting up in red shows that the CPU is being throttled because it is trying to exceed the PL2 or short term turbo power limit. When this happens, the EDP OTHER indicator under the RING column will also light up at the exact same time. To the left of PROCHOT on the main screen, when this type of throttling starts, you will see a black dot appear next to the word Throttle as more confirmation of throttling.

Your screenshot in your first post shows that the short term turbo power limit is set to 96 Watts. ThrottleStop is reporting that your CPU is throttling because of this reason even though your Package (PKG) Power consumption is only 57.2 Watts. Why is it throttling? Good question. There are at least 3 sets of duplicate turbo power limits within Intel CPUs. The CPU will constantly check what all of these 3 different limits are set to and then will use the lowest power limit that it finds to determine whether it should be throttling or not. On your laptop, the 96 Watt limit is being ignored. ThrottleStop has a feature in the FIVR window called Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits. You need to click on the Install button beside that feature and follow the directions. You will need to download a file from Mega and install the RwDrv.sys file into your ThrottleStop folder before using this feature.

On some laptops, that feature will help take care of the secondary set of turbo power limits so they do not limit your CPU performance.

Unfortunately, Dell is now using the third set of turbo power limits. ThrottleStop or Intel XTU or any other free software cannot control this third set of power limits. I guess Dell got tired of people using ThrottleStop to get their CPUs to run at their rated speed. If you have set the ThrottleStop turbo power limits high and you are using the Disable and Lock feature and you are still getting power limit throttling in Limit Reasons, there is nothing else that can be done. The only solution is to sell your good looking laptop and get something from another manufacturer that does not enforce the turbo power limits the way Dell and HP do.

If you complain to Dell, they will probably tell you that the 8750H has a 45 Watt TDP rating. Your CPU is running beyond this spec so everything is OK. Some laptop manufacturers are more generous than others. Some will allow the 8750H to be adjusted so they can run at up to 90 Watts. This ensures that the CPU can reach its full rated speed indefinitely. They also include an adequate heatsink and proper cooling to allow this to happen. There are laptops with an 8750H that can run the full 39.00 multiplier for the entire Cinebench R20 benchmark. Their Cinebench R20 scores are over 3000 points.

An Alienware laptop with restrictive turbo power limits cannot compete.

Last edited:

Slugfest that CPU

Am no expert but been reading forums about the undervolting of i7 8750H for the last 2 weeks. See the attached pictures of my current settings.
From what I've been testing, at least my i7 8750H at 4000MHz wants 50-51W, this being with 5-6W more than the TDP of the design therefore the Core goes into thermal throttling constantly
Lowering the PL1/PL2 I was getting PL1/PL2 Limit Exceeded which resulted in constant yellow/red in the limits window because it wants to draw more power.
Once I lowered the clock speed the CPU didn't need the same amount of W.
All these tests were done on Better Performance - Power Options because I noticed that if I set it to Max Performance it just forces the Core Freq to run at max speed(Exactly what SpeedShift does) but at the same time I get EDP Other of the GPU/RING throttling.
Also if you have Nvidia HD Audio, uninstall it, for me it was causing my GPU to constantly spike and also disable XBOX Game Bar

Attachments

• better_perf.jpg
    better_perf.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 581
  • flvr.jpg
    flvr.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 594
  • throttle.png
    throttle.png
    72.4 KB · Views: 649
  • tpl.jpg
    tpl.jpg