1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Dimension 2400 PSU upgrade

Discussion in 'General Hardware' started by Sevence, Feb 5, 2006.

1. Sevence New Member

Thanks Received:
    I'm Looking to upgrade a PSU for a Dell Dimension 2400, either 300-450w range. I'm not very tech savvy to say the least, so I'm not sure if it's even possible to upgrade on a 2400.

If it is possible to upgrade I'm not concerned price wise, more concerned if it would fit my case, and compatibility. Any suggestions on a good PSU?

Thanks in advance.
    7ce

- Current PSU is 200w, upgrading for a new vid card which requires a min of 300w.
    - Searched Forums, no luck on finding similar threads. If so hopefully someone can point me in the right direction.

Last edited: Feb 5, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU
  2. mex New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hyper R Type module £65 is my choice and will fit in any ATX case, However have dell done the sneaky and made it a few mm less here and there so you can only purches from them?

I think its just standard ATX though.

Good Luck

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. D-rock New Member

Thanks Received:
    I dont think the physical size of a new psu will be the issue. It depends on the model of dell that you have. The newer dells use the standard ATX 2.0 pinouts for the power plugs on the motherboard. Dell used to have a proprietary plug so no other motherboard would work in their cases and no other psu would work with their motherboards. The best thing to do is to find the manual for your computer and look at the pinouts for the power plugs for your mobo and see if they match up with the ATX 2.0 specifications, if they do then you can just upgrade to whatever psu you want. If they dont good luck getting dell to sell you a new one, they'll try and talk you into buying a whole new comp. I've been there, done that with them.

My new computer is a Dell Dimension 4700 and it uses standard power plugs so I could upgrade it.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2006
    10 Year Member at TPU