• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell G5 5500 i7-10750H RTX2070Max-Q Undervolt HELP

cossack42

Hi guys,

I have a new laptop and i want to undervolt it because it is only screaming and it tear down my ears while i only type like this message.

I already contacted Dell Premium Support and replaced the heatsink, cooling fans and the Thermal paste: Grizzly Kryonaut conductonaut.

Now i tried to undervolt my CPU but nothing works :(

Can someone help me out of this trouble?

Kind regards,

Sefa

Attachments

• Undervolt 1.png
    Undervolt 1.png
    125.1 KB · Views: 570

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
i tried to undervolt my CPU but nothing works
The top middle of the FIVR window shows, FIVR Control - Locked. That means that either the BIOS or a Windows Update has locked out CPU voltage control. This also locks out turbo ratio adjustments.

You can try installing a previous BIOS version. Some manufacturers have started to re-enable CPU voltage control but I think most Dell laptops are leaving this feature locked. Do some Google searching for your specific laptop model so you can try and find out what other users are doing. The 10750H runs HOT when using its default voltage.

There is another trick where you might be able to edit the UEFI variables to unlock voltage control.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Dell/comments/fzv599

zwr

Hello, I have exactly the same laptop (G5 5500, 10750 and 2070 Max-Q, 144) and I was able to unlock FIVR control by removing locks in BIOS 1.7.1 (latest) following this video.
I would like to ask if someone with the same laptop has some stable offset settings?
I've tried -106.2 for both core and cache and -49.8 for GPU, SA and iGPU Unslice (found those here). But I get WHEA_UNCORRECTABLE_ERROR bluescreen after playing NFS:Heat for like 5 mins (last temperature check before bluescreen was 81C (AWCC) with Turbo Boost enabled). Before undervolting I had ~85C with Turbo Boost disabled.
This is the first time I undervolted my CPU using ThrottleStop and I don't want to damage my a week old computer by just randomly trying.
Thanks in advance!

Sorry for bump.

Last edited:

unclewebb

I had ~85C with Turbo Boost disabled
That sounds like a poorly designed laptop. Consider replacing the thermal paste with something like Noctua NT-H2 or a similar paste that works well at high temperatures.

Do not undervolt the Intel GPU, iGPU Unslice or the System Agent until you have finalized your CPU core and cache settings. Leave these three at an offset of +0.0000. When gaming, you are using the Nvidia GPU. You do not want undervolting these to interfere with stability when trying to get your core and cache setup correctly. These other three voltages are not that important.

The core and cache offsets do not have to be set equally. The biggest mistake people make is they set the cache offset voltage too high. This is the limiting factor. Many 10th Gen mobile CPUs like the 10750H are only stable with the cache at -70 mV or -75 mV. You should never be seeing any WHEA errors. If you are, this confirms that your voltages are not stable and you have undervolted too much. Reduce the amount of undervolt until you are 100% stable.

After you make any voltage adjustments, run a few different TS Bench tests. Full load tests are important but partial load tests like 8 or 10 threads are just as important. If the TS Bench reports any errors at the top, your undervolt is not stable so you need to reduce it. One error in the TS Bench test is too much.

Download Cinebench R20.

Start with the core and cache at -75 mV for a baseline. Adjust only the core voltage in steps of -25 mV, run another test and watch for an increase in performance or a decrease in temperature. Some 10th Gen CPUs are stable with the core as high as -150 mV or -175 mV as long as the cache is not set too high. If you run into any stability issues, try adjusting the cache first.

Good work unlocking CPU voltage control on your Dell. :)

zwr

@unclewebb
Thank you very much for response.
Well I was buying the laptop knowing thermals are poor but I did not knew that its so bad that it will prevent me from playing because of temps. I was forced to play with disabled Turbo.

Just downloaded the Cinebench and ran some tests with -0, -75, -100 for core and -75 for cache. But unfortunatelly I did not notice any difference and the temps during rendering were hitting 90s for all tests. Maybe a dumb question but all needed to do is to set offset and hit apply so it changes offsets in the top right table of FIVR window, right? Or there is need to restart computer? Sorry I'm new in this and never done it before. Maybe BSOD in my NFS test was not affected by undervolting and simply the OS bailed because of thermals with Turbo enabled (I was playing only with Turbo disabled before).

This is log from Event Viewer of that BSOD (source WHEA-Logger):

A fatal hardware error has occurred.

Reported by component: Processor Core
Error Source: Machine Check Exception
Error Type: Cache Hierarchy Error
Processor APIC ID: 10

unclewebb

No need to reboot. Did you keep testing? What Cinebench scores did you get? Did you increase the core uo to -175 mV?

Instead of Disable Turbo, you can lower the turbo ratios instead. That way you can use less turbo without having to disable all of it.

zwr

Yes I've ran multiple tests with following scores (core | cache):
  • 0 | 0 - 2800, 2768
  • -100 | -75 - 3048, 2974, 3029
  • -125 | -75 - 2998, 2975, 2953
  • -150 | -75 - 2973, 2902
  • -175 | -75 - 2986, 2988
Not sure what it means if it's any good or not, but I noticed absolutely no difference between 0mV and -175mV (still 90C or very high 80C for each core, max was 95C!). I am aware that even if I managed to unlock these settings by removing locks the final unvervolt settings have no impact on CPU temperature.

Last edited:

unclewebb

no difference
If your CPU is power limit throttling during these tests, an undervolt will show zero improvement in temperatures. Less voltage equals less power consumption. The CPU will speed up so power consumption and temperatures end up being exactly the same.

The 8750H and 9750H can score over 3000 points during R20. Post a screenshot of ThrottleStop with Limit Reasons open while in the middle of running R20 so I can see how much your CPU is throttling and whether you are power limit throttling or thermal throttling. Some laptops use a heatsink and fan that is barely adequate to keep the CPU from throttling when running at the rated 45W TDP limit.

Are there any WHEA errors with the cache at -75 mV? At least the undervolt is getting you better performance compared to no undervolt.

zwr

Sure, here is the screenshot. I hope I've choosen the correct window as I find it very difficult to orientate in ThrottleStop. On the screenshot you can see actual temperatures and the undervolt settings I have used. I use "Ultra Performance" power plan.
Yes cache on -75mV seems to be stable. I've tried to put it to -88mV and WHEA BSOD after few seconds (while playing game). Good news is that the undervolting is working because I've been playing with no undervolt (0 offsets) and the game was running "fine" on 93C and BSOD occured seconds after I set up cache to -88mV. But the bad news is that it is not affecting my overal temperature. Nvidia GPU running on 80C while playing NFS:Heat on Ultra settings so that's also way too high.

Attachments

• screen.png
    screen.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 145

unclewebb

Most of your screenshot shows the Cinebench window. I already know what Cinebench looks like.

Why not open the main ThrottleStop window on top of your Cinebench window? ThrottleStop shows temperatures and CPU MHz. You can include Core Temp too but there is no reason to.

Open Limit Reasons first and then open the FIVR window. That way you can display the main ThrottleStop window, the FIVR window and the Limit Reasons window all on the same screen at the same time.

Your Limit Reasons window shows TVB as the reason for throttling. This is the Thermal Velocity Boost. It slows your CPU down 100 MHz when it gets over 70°C. If you do not want this to happen, clear the Thermal Velocity Boost box in the FIVR window.

Modern laptops run hot. Nvidia GPUs running at 80°C and Intel CPUs running at over 90°C is normal for any recent laptop while playing a game. Everyone wants a thin and light laptop so they run at temperatures that used to be considered sky high. Now sky high is normal.

-75 mV for cache is stable for most 10th Gen mobile CPUs.

it is not affecting my overall temperature.

Your CPU is designed to run fast. The only way to reduce temperatures is to reduce your CPU speed. You can use the Disable Turbo feature in ThrottleStop. That will make your CPU run much slower and cooler. Some people lower the FIVR turbo ratios a little when playing some games. This can help temps a lot without reducing performance that much.

Most modern laptops with 6 core CPUs are poorly designed. They have inadequate heatsinks and tend to run hot, hot when gaming. As long as it runs well, the temperature is not important. Intel says that any CPU temperature under 100°C is a "safe operating temperature". That is why Intel sets the thermal throttling temperature to 100°C.

zwr

Yes I know those high end hardware components are able to handle more load and temperatures but I did not expect it to oscillate so closely to their limit. Before this laptop I had Dell 7559 (i7-6700HQ, 960M 4GB) and it was golden without any issues for over 4 years (I just upgraded because its hardware is simply not enough for modern games).

I was testing games with or without Turbo Boost on this one (G5 5500) and I had a maximum of 85C with and 80C average with Turbo Disabled (NFS:Heat, CP77, RDR2) while the FPS difference was barely visible with Turbo on/off. I've been reading through tons of articles on Dell forums or Reddit and almost all of them pointed to undervolting so I had to at least try because I'm not very comfortable with using only half of the processor performance while I paid for full.

For now I will stay with disabled turbo unless I will feel significant FPS difference in future games with Turbo on/off. Then I'm afraid I won't have much of a choice than playing on 90Cs if repasting will not help.

Anyway, @unclewebb thank you very much for your kind explanations, guides and advices, I really appreciate that. Have a nice day!