• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell G5 5590 - 9750h - difference of 20 degrees in cores temperatures

drydry81

Hi all,

I'm trying to fight against thermal throttling that is occurring on my Dell G5 5590 (9750h).
Here is what I've done so far:
  • Repasted CPU+GPU with Arctic mx-4 (twice, just to be sure I didn't mess it up)
  • Undervolted my CPU ( -200.2mV on core, -135.7mv cache) + EPP 0 + Disabled Turbo Power Limits (both limits are set to 90W)
  • Bought a laptop cooler
Some results I got so far:
  • Cinebench R20 went from 2100 to 2700
  • CPU frequency under load went from 3.2 to 3.99 Ghz (checked with Aida 64) - as far as I understood undervolt allowed CPU to use more power before thermal throttling
  • When gaming (I have a 144 Hz display on the laptop): I set a second profile under ThrottleStop and limited all cores to 32x: in GTA 5 for example I'm on a sweet 100FPS and 70 degrees on CPU+GPU
  • But, I have found two issues that maybe are not
Two issues I need answers if you guys have some input:
  • under Aida 64, when benchmarking only the CPU I can see that some cores stay at 80 degrees but others are at 100 degrees and triggering thermal throttling -> is that normal to see such a difference in term of degrees?
  • I'm experiencing thermal throttling on Cinebench R20, XTU, or Aida64 (after a few minutes) and I see that package is trying to pull 75W.
I put as attachment the difference in temps, if it can help.

What do you guys would do?

Thanks!

Attachments