• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell G5 5590 slow on battery or unsupported power supply, Throttlestop?

Ender

Hi!
Whenever i have my Dell G5 5590 with i7-7950H on battery power OR when i use an unsupported power supply it seems that "turbo" is disabled.
Is there something that i can do with Throttlestop (or any other Software) to work against this?

(Max Power consumption with regular Dell power supply 180W, with unsupported Power supply (and i assume on battery as the benchmark is the same) 90W.

Or do you feel thats either impo0ssible or dangerous (maybe the battery cannot deliver 180W)?
The "unsopported" power supply is able to deliver 180W...

Thanks for any input on this!

Ender

P.S. using downgraded FW 1.11 as 1.12 killed undervolting.

Last edited:

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Dell used to use the BD PROCHOT method to reduce performance when an unsupported power adapter was detected. Try using ThrottleStop to disable BD PROCHOT and see what happens.
On recent laptops, Dell might have changed to a different throttling method. If Dell is setting the turbo power limits internally, this will override the power limits that you have set in ThrottleStop. There is no easy fix for this type of throttling.

Using any ThrottleStop tricks to try and get maximum performance out of your laptop while running on battery power is never a good idea. You could easily damage your battery. Maybe even cause a fire.

Ender

Thank you for these informations, will play with ProcHot for the power supply and leave battery performance alone :)

P.S. i disabled ProcHot but it gets turned on anyways when cpu reaches 100V so i guess thats not working either :)

unclewebb

BD PROCHOT and PROCHOT are two different things. Your CPU will still thermal throttle at 100C whether BD PROCHOT is enabled or disabled. Post some screenshots when your CPU is throttling with Limit Reasons open.

Ender

Hi!
Thanks fpr the erffort, i really appreciate it :)

I did as you requested, looks strange. The screenshots were taken while the ts bench was running.
If the machine is idling (well, not exactly, browser and stuff in the background, but < 20% load) the same 3 "EDP OTHER" are constantly flashing red/yellow without antyhing else.
During TS Benchmark the PL2 was flashing red from time to time and "EDP OTHER" were constantly red.

Behaviour on battery seems to be exactly the same as with unsupported / aftermarket power supply.

Thanks for any insights on this :) The battery thing is fine but its awful to run like molasses with my second power supply...

Greetings,
Ender

Attachments

• unsup_power_1.jpg
    unsup_power_1.jpg
    127.3 KB · Views: 250
  • unsup_power_2.jpg
    unsup_power_2.jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 265
  • unsup_power_3.jpg
    unsup_power_3.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 271

unclewebb

EDP OTHER across all three domains is usually caused by the PP0 Current Limit being set too low. Intel's public documentation does not do a great job explaining the OTHER part of EDP OTHER. It could be anything.

Your current limits appear to be set appropriately in ThrottleStop so I guess there is nothing you can do about this type of throttling besides giving Dell some more money for a power adapter with their logo on it.

Your CPU cannot be overclocked so you can leave the turbo ratios at their default values of 45, 44, 43, 42, 41, 40. Any higher will be ignored by the CPU.

Have you tried using the FIVR Disable and Lock Turbo Power Limits feature? I do not think this helps out most Dell laptops but it never hurts to try.

Some users have had success by reducing the amount of cache offset voltage a little and then using more core offset voltage. Maybe -130 mV cache and -200 mV core. Start by setting these equal, run Cinebench R20 for a baseline and then slowly reduce the core voltage and see if your temps or Cinebench performance improves.

Ender

Hello yet again :)
Thanks for your undervolting advise. I did try going lower on cache and higher on core but it turned out its unstable if the VPU is idle.
For cinebench i was able to climb to 3000 compared with 2800 with this setting but as soon as the cpu was idling around i was in trouble...
This way its literally running 24/7 with lots of high loads (having a Virtual Machine as Ubuntu compile server).

Nevertheless will play with those settings again and the Turbo Power Limits thingy.

I am still very happy with all this as it really got my G5 to the next level, thermal throttling was horrible without undervolting.

Greetings,

Ender

P.S. i realized those valiues are ignored i just decided to ignore them myself as well :)