• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell G5 5590 - Throttlestop undervolt not applying

Ardjin

Hi,

First time posting, and sorry it's to potentially ask a silly question, but I really can't figure this out.

Specs, just in case:

Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-9300H CPU @ 2.40GHz
GPU: Nvidia GTX 1650
RAM: 8GB DDR4

I've been using Throttlestop for a few months now, because the G5 does seem to run quite hot, reaching the mid 90 degrees celsius quite easily. I put an undervolt of 134.8 on the cpu and cache, which was quite stable, and dropped thing to about 75 - 80 degrees for most games. I also limited the boost clock to 3.9, as it was shooting up to 4.2 and staying there regardless of a damn thing.

There was a BIOS update a few days ago though, and I noticed the temperatures spiked, so I investigated a bit, and saw the undervolt does not apply anymore. Or doesn't seem to, at least. As the only thing that changed was the BIOS, I rolled it back one patch to where I know it worked, and it simply does not anymore now.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Kind Regards,
Ardjin

Attachments

unclewebb

RealTemp Author
The latest Dell BIOS updates disable undervolting. Even going back to the previous BIOS will not get undervolting working.

After going back, some user had success by going into the BIOS and selecting the reset option. Maybe that will work on your laptop. Sad times ahead for many laptop owners.

Here is the reason why laptop manufacturers are doing this.

Edit - The turbo ratio limits are also locked after this microcode update is installed.

Ardjin

Great, so they take away any agency from the consumer and melt our laptops in the process...

Thanks for the help, it's very much appreciated. I'll see if I can figure out the BIOS stuff, because I can't leave stuff like this.

The latest Dell BIOS updates disable undervolting. Even going back to the previous BIOS will not get undervolting working.

After going back, some user had success by going into the BIOS and selecting the reset option. Maybe that will work on your laptop. Sad times ahead for many laptop owners.

Edit - The turbo ratio limits are also locked after this microcode update is installed.
This helped perfectly. I went back to BIOS update 1.11, restored BIOS defaults, and everything seems like it should be again. Guess this is where I'm staying when it comes to updates.
Thanks a million!

nevernotmaybe

This helped perfectly. I went back to BIOS update 1.11, restored BIOS defaults, and everything seems like it should be again. Guess this is where I'm staying when it comes to updates.
Thanks a million!
In what way did you downgrade the BIOS?

I had the same issue with throttlestop not working anymore, and I found this thread. I downgraded the BIOS directly from Dell, and that didn't work. So I restored bios defaults and the laptop stopped booting, it asked for the system password, went to a blue screen, then just stayed there for about 30s and turned itself off. I tried a few things, in the end I had to use OS recovery and use the fix option that doesn't reset anything and it started booting again.

Now I am on 1.11.1, it boots again, bios is default settings as far as I know (I don't want to use the option again really either just in case it breaks), but undervolting is still not working. And now the screen won't dim before turning off like it did before, and seems to go to sleep much faster than expected or at least it has once so far. I am very confused by what has happened. Just trying to see if I did anything different.

Edit: Yea tried resetting to bios defaults again, broke the laptop again. Had to run OS recovery, fixed it again. Still the same issue. I hope someone figures out a way to do this, the laptop is practically junk without it and at 100 degrees when software is actively doing anything within seconds.

Last edited:

Ardjin

I don't really know what to tell you. I downloaded version 1.11 of the BIOS from the Dell Support website, and installed it. This didn't immediately bring the undervolt back, so on Unclewebb's advice I rebooted into the BIOS menu, and simply had a button at the bottom of the screen which read "restore default settings", that pretty much seemed to do it. I haven't gone above 80°c again, and my undervolt's still applied.

Just for further info, Dell released a patch through the windows updater earlier this week, named Dell, Inc - Firmware 0.1.12.0, which is BIOS update 1.12. Unfortunately I didn't know this, and consequently updated back to 1.12, yet oddly enough, I still have my undervolt. No idea if this is as a consequence of resetting the BIOS settings to default or not.

I am sorry to hear you've had such a terrible time with it though, I hope it gets sorted. Can't help but feel they want our systems to run this hot in order for us to replace the unit sooner when the CPU finally melts.

nevernotmaybe

It was the windows update that caused the issue, that is how I ended up with 1.12 bios.

It got even more confusing since. After my reply I tried 1.10 bios and pretty much went through the same process and it didn't fix it.

I went out for an hour (shopping, under lockdown here so can't go out much or for long), came back still not working. I watched a few things on youtube, temp was a bit high and fans going still not undervolted. Then late last night, hours later, I suddenly realised the laptop was reasonably cool. TS happened to be on because it is still set to start automatically anyway so it is always on, and I opened it not really expecting anything but all the undervolting was listed and working again!?!

I do have one final issue after everything I have done, the second HDD keeps getting stuck on even when the laptop sleeps now, if it is unplugged it is going to be using a lot more power than normal. A new thing to try and fix and drive me crazy. This laptop was an insanely low price on the outlet (plus a special discount and a sale at the time on top), and that is the only reason I can't say I regret it. It is not worth the £1400 it should be new all things considered. I nearly regret it after paying half at £712.

grandpa2390

I don't understand the language in that link. why are the manufacturers are doing this?
Description: Improper conditions check in voltage settings for some Intel(R) Processors may allow a privileged user to potentially enable escalation of privilege and/or information disclosure via local access.

I'm going to try and work this out. It seems they are worried that a privileged user (like myself, the administrator of my laptop), could allow permission and information disclosure by using the laptop (in person) through voltage checks??????????
the downgrade and resetting of the BIOS worked for me btw. :) :) :)

my friend advised me to update the bios and just delete the Throttlestop folder, and unzip it again. I made a copy of the .ini file before I deleted the folder. after unzipping the folder and putting the .ini file into it... everything is working just fine, so far. :). I'm going to keep a copy of the old bios on my ssd just in case though. :)

Last edited: