• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell G5 5590 - Throttlestop undervolt not applying

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@Nocthmyst - The "reset to factory" BIOS option works for many Dell laptops to restore CPU voltage control. This is a bug. When Dell fixes this bug, new BIOS versions might not be able to restore CPU voltage control by using this trick.

If the latest BIOS is blocking CPU voltage control and this feature is important to you, stop trying to use the latest BIOS.

Nocthmyst

@Nocthmyst - The "reset to factory" BIOS option works for many Dell laptops to restore CPU voltage control. This is a bug. When Dell fixes this bug, new BIOS versions might not be able to restore CPU voltage control by using this trick.

If the latest BIOS is blocking CPU voltage control and this feature is important to you, stop trying to use the latest BIOS.
Gotcha, thanks for the heads-up. Hopefully in the future they'll take note of this issue and rectify it so we don't have to burn up our PCs on new BIOS updates...

BLKGHOST

I can confirm that resetting the BIOS settings worked for me. I'm on the latest BIOS (1.13.2) on a Dell G5 5590, i7 9750h, RTX 2060. I was able to get my temp down to a max of 63°C instead of the usual 100°C by undervolting with an offset of -125mV and disabling turbo using Throttle Stop. I should mention that I also repasted the CPU and GPU using Artic MX-4.

adelino660

I can confirm that resetting the BIOS settings worked for me. I'm on the latest BIOS (1.13.2) on a Dell G5 5590, i7 9750h, RTX 2060. I was able to get my temp down to a max of 63°C instead of the usual 100°C by undervolting with an offset of -125mV and disabling turbo using Throttle Stop. I should mention that I also repasted the CPU and GPU using Artic MX-4.
how did you reset the bios, via the settings via factory or default? Or did you do a hardreset?

I'm trying to use reset the bios for my Dell XPS 13, but nothing works via a software reset either factory of default, even when i downgraded to a bios that should enable undervolt.

boked33404

Device: Dell G3 3579, CPU: i7 8750H, Bios: 1.16.0.

- I was using ThrottleStop with an undervolt of ~ 150mV before the BIOS upgrade pushed by Dell disabled that functionality a few years ago.
- After that kinda gave up on the idea of undervolt and went through each BIOS upgrade as they came.
- Had ThrottleStop running with the initial config of ~ 150mV in the background. It wasn't getting applied due to the BIOS.

Just got the Undervolt working again by following some of the steps described by you throughout the thread, as follows:
1. Suspend Bitlocker. Reboot.
2. F2 -> Go into BIOS -> Restore Settings (bottom of the screen) -> Factory Settings -> Reboot.
3. ThrottleStop undervolt is now getting applied without other changes.
4. Rebooted again and undervolt is still being applied.

Conclusion: For me the only step needed for this to work was Resetting the BIOS to Factory Settings. No BIOS downgrade required.

Thank you very much! Best of luck to you all.

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
@boked33404 - Good to hear that you got undervolting working again.

If you ever have problems in the future, here is the more complicated method that works on many Dell laptops.

adelino660

how did you reset the bios, via the settings via factory or default? Or did you do a hardreset?

I'm trying to use reset the bios for my Dell XPS 13, but nothing works via a software reset either factory of default, even when i downgraded to a bios that should enable undervolt.
So for almost a year i've been locked out of undervolting due to the dell bios update preinstalled on my Dell XPS 13 7390. The trick of downgrading and restore/factory reset bios settings never worked for me. I finally got it to work following this guide on the latest 1.9.0 BIOS for the Dell XPS 13 7390 Very simple with the Universal BIOS BACKUP toolkit. Got it working following the exact steps laid out in the video. Undervolting my CPU at 100mV and cache and i7-10710U has never been cooler. Seriously this chip runs so hot out of the box, that undervolting is needed..

Last edited:
System Name Dell G15 5510
Processor Intel® Core™ i5-10500H
Motherboard DELL 0N28DR
Video Card(s) NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1650 OC (Laptop) / Intel UHD Graphics
Storage NVMe Kioxia
Display(s) 1080p 120Hz
Power Supply Dell 180W
Software Microsoft Windows 11 Professional (x64)
Dell isn't updating the microcode of the processors, the lock is by BIOS only, and I can help you to remove this lock. I did it on my Dell G15 and everything is working perfectly