• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell G7 7790 i7-9750H RTX 2070 Max-Q Code 43, Bad vbios?

toemass

Hi guys,

I've recently got a new motherboard replaced for my Dell g7 7790 laptop because of the bios got bricked during an update, and now I think the new motherboard is having issues with the graphics card because of the nvflashing I had done before the motherboard replacement. I had overwrote the vbios with a different version prior to the motherboard replacement. Once the new motherboard was replaced, my graphics card is now showing a code 43 error in Device Manager. I have tried flashing it with the original backup I made with the old motherboard, and tried flashing it with the vbios I was using before the motherboard replacement. Still no luck getting the graphics card to work.

Does somebody have the vbios for this specific model dell laptop? Maybe I have the wrong vbios..maybe this isn't even a vbios problem. Could anyone help me please? Much appreciated.

System Name Good enough
Processor AMD Ryzen R7 1700X - 4.0 Ghz / 1.350V
Motherboard ASRock B450M Pro4
Cooling Deepcool Gammaxx L240 V2
Memory 16GB - Corsair Vengeance LPX - 3333 Mhz CL16
Video Card(s) OEM Dell GTX 1080 with Kraken G12 + Water 3.0 Performer C
Storage 1x Samsung 850 EVO 250GB , 1x Samsung 860 EVO 500GB
Display(s) 4K Samsung TV
Case Deepcool Matrexx 70
Power Supply GPS-750C
There is something I don't understand, you said you made a backup of the original vBIOS so how could that not be the right version ?

As far as I know some of these vendors pair the GPU with the board with an unique hardware ID so that's probably why it doesn't work. I remember someone had a similar issue on here and had to edit the vBIOS in some way but sadly I do not remember the details or who was it. Have you tried to contact Dell and ask about this ?

toemass

There is something I don't understand, you said you made a backup of the original vBIOS so how could that not be the right version ?

As far as I know some of these vendors pair the GPU with the board with an unique ID so that's probably why it doesn't work. Have you tried to contact Dell and ask about this ?
Im just a little confused as why its not working sorry. The vbios did infact change to a different version when the new motherboard was installed because i compared the version with the vbios i had installed on the old motherboard so dell must've paired the gpu with the unique id.

No i haven't contacted dell yet, I'm trying to do some troubleshooting to see if i can fix it myself until i run into a wall, then I'll contact them. Right now im trying to flash the vbios with similar vbios's on the techpowerup vbios directory.

System Name Good enough
Display(s) 4K Samsung TV
Case Deepcool Matrexx 70
Power Supply GPS-750C
It definitely has something to do with the ID that the BIOS is looking for which doesn't match the one the GPU has.

I found this :

Everybody who replaces his notebook GPU has this problem.
SUBSYS ID = Vendor ID + product identifier
"The Device Manufacturer is responsible for assigning this identifier to each individual product MODEL. Once an identifier is assigned to a product model, it must not be assigned to any other product model manufactured by the same company (that is, that uses the same Vendor ID)." Source: PNP ID and ACPI ID Registry

At first get driver 419.35, which accidentially supports your GPU w/o subsystem.

Otherwise you have to use modded INFs

You didn't replace the GPU but you replaced the board which results in the same mismatch.

toemass

But the GPU is cooked in the motherboard...should that make no difference?

System Name Asus X450JB
Processor Intel Core i7-4720HQ
Motherboard Asus
Memory 2x 4GiB
Video Card(s) nVidia GT940M
Storage 2x 1TB
But isn't the OP replace the mobo like for like? Should be okay if the BIOS only check for VID+PID since it should be still the same pairing.

Maybe the replacement mobo was for slightly different SKU with different pairing? Or (waay) less likely the BIOS actually check for S/N.

Uh huh? If that's the case then whatever you do with pevious graphics card shouldn't affect your new one. I feel like I'm missing something here.

Are you sure the new mobo is actually working?

System Name Good enough
Display(s) 4K Samsung TV
Case Deepcool Matrexx 70
Power Supply GPS-750C

Wait, you mean the board has the GPU soldered on it ? I thought you only changed the board and kept the GPU. You said you think this happened because you flashed the GPU before, so is it the same GPU or not ?

If it's not the same then I am not sure, only thing I can think of is that this board has a GPU with a different revision of some sort and your original BIOS isn't recognizing it.

I still think that you're best bet is to ask Dell about it.

toemass

Sorry, i should've mentioned that this type of laptop has the motherboard, cpu and gpu all in one component. Yes the motherboard is working fine, im in windows and its all good, just the gpu code 43 is the issue.

I'll contact Dell, i hope it won't be an issue because my warranty just ended. Fingers crossed.

System Name Ultraman
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim/2x140mmCorsair SP140 /2x120mmSilverstone RGB /1x120mm Antec RGB
Memory G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHZ
Video Card(s) Nvidia Palit GamingPro RTX 3080
Storage SSD - OCZ ARC 100 256GB HDD + Sandisk Ultra 3D 500GB - Western Digital Green 1TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG27CQ 1440p 144Hz Monitor
Case Silverstone RL08-BW (Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium - Grey Window Version Semi-retired)
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech Z-4
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold+ 850W Modular
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Code 43 for me on my first gaming laptop I bought which was a Lenono legion the GPU was dead essentially(I made a physical mistake), I haven't messed with any Bios or anything and tried formatting and different drivers and had no luck.

If you got like for like replacement board there shouldn't be any need to mess with vbios.
If you had code 43 from the beginning then potentially whoever did your replacement at Dell has messed up the installation.

System Name Good enough
Display(s) 4K Samsung TV
Case Deepcool Matrexx 70
Power Supply GPS-750C
It still doesn't quite make sense to me, if everything was soldered then there was no need to mess with any of the BIOSes.

I think the GPU is simply dead.

toemass

Yeah, that's kind of why I'm jumping to this conclusion, the vbios tampering I did, because I'm so confused myself. This whole thing is ludicrous, I'm so confused!

Is there a chance this is easily fixable when I see this information on GPU-Z when the drivers are uninstalled through DDU? I've tried reinstalling the lastest drivers and the code 43 error appears again.
msedge_ZV1Nac8Ja7.png

System Name Ultraman
Processor AMD Ryzen 5 3600X
Motherboard MSI B450M Mortar Max
Cooling Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Slim/2x140mmCorsair SP140 /2x120mmSilverstone RGB /1x120mm Antec RGB
Memory G.Skill TridentZ RGB 16GB 3000MHZ
Video Card(s) Nvidia Palit GamingPro RTX 3080
Storage SSD - OCZ ARC 100 256GB HDD + Sandisk Ultra 3D 500GB - Western Digital Green 1TB
Display(s) MSI Optix MAG27CQ 1440p 144Hz Monitor
Case Silverstone RL08-BW (Fractal Design Define R4 Titanium - Grey Window Version Semi-retired)
Audio Device(s) onboard/Speakers: Logitech Z-4
Power Supply Seasonic Focus Gold+ 850W Modular
Mouse Corsair Harpoon
Keyboard Corsair Strafe Cherry MX Red Keyboard
Software Windows 10 Professional 64-bit
Yeah, that's kind of why I'm jumping to this conclusion, the vbios tampering I did, because I'm so confused myself. This whole thing is ludicrous, I'm so confused!

Is there a chance this is easily fixable when I see this information on GPU-Z when the drivers are uninstalled through DDU? I've tried reinstalling the lastest drivers and the code 43 error appears again.
View attachment 182364
Don't think there is anything you can do but just contact Dell and tell them they have potentially killed your GPU when they swapped the motherboard.

toemass

Good news everyone! The motherboard was replaced by Dell and the error is gone! The graphics card is now fully functional and has the latest NVIDIA drivers installed. I guess Dell likes to give out bad motherboards to customers. Thanks everyone for all of your suggestions.

Attachments

• mmc_TZEAXoJfoC.png
    mmc_TZEAXoJfoC.png
    48.4 KB · Views: 8