• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Gaming Laptop G7 15 7590 throttling after battery removal

barbaroja9

So the battery got so bloated that the pressure in the chassis was causing hard drive disconnects. So I removed the battery wxpecting to use the laptop as AC IN only mode.

Well, both throttlestop and intel XTU report EDP limits. Intel website says it is due to lack of current probably.

To me sounds like a bad BIOS problem, as Dell usually does. Makes no sense, tho. The machine uses a 180W charger that is beefy enough.

Is there a way to solve this or bypass the battery detection circuit? I am comfortable with chip level work if it is the case. 99% of the time I use the laptop plugged, so having a dummy battery would be awesome.

Attachments

• edp throtthestop.jpg
    edp throtthestop.jpg
    13.7 KB · Views: 18
  • edp xtu.jpg
    edp xtu.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 22

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
Post a screenshot of the TPL and FIVR windows. Try setting Power Limit 4 to a value of 0 or try setting this to the max, 1023.

Severe throttling when a battery is not detected is a common throttling problem for some Dell laptops.

barbaroja9

Reconnected the battery and the issue is gone. The screenshots were taken with the battery connected.

Any way to trick the machine into believing a battery is connected? I almost never use the laptop unplugged.

Attachments

• FIVR.jpg
    FIVR.jpg
    243.3 KB · Views: 20
  • TPL BATTERY.jpg
    TPL BATTERY.jpg
    80.6 KB · Views: 20

unclewebb

ThrottleStop & RealTemp Author
I usually recommend checking the MMIO Lock box, setting Power Limit 4 to a value of 0 and I would set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the maximum, 255.75.

If that does not solve this throttling problem then I guess you will need to leave the battery connected.

As already mentioned,
Severe throttling when a battery is not detected is a common throttling problem for some Dell laptops.

HansWSchulze

You could try disconnecting or measuring the DC current on the +ve battery terminal inside the pack (current means you need the battery for what you are running). The other thing is that the battery also provides some electrical noise filtering to save money on the power supplies and copper. If you get AC current, then keep the battery - problem is that this current is high frequency, need a scope current probe to check this. An amp AC maybe ok max, but not more.

barbaroja9

I usually recommend checking the MMIO Lock box, setting Power Limit 4 to a value of 0 and I would set IccMax for both the core and the cache to the maximum, 255.75.

If that does not solve this throttling problem then I guess you will need to leave the battery connected.

As already mentioned,
Are these settings also good for operating with the battery connected?

You could try disconnecting or measuring the DC current on the +ve battery terminal inside the pack (current means you need the battery for what you are running). The other thing is that the battery also provides some electrical noise filtering to save money on the power supplies and copper. If you get AC current, then keep the battery - problem is that this current is high frequency, need a scope current probe to check this. An amp AC maybe ok max, but not more.
I was thinking of feeding a simple voltage divider fed from the main 19V line to trick the battery controller. Would that work?

Last edited:
At least they left you the CMOS battery. On mine,ASUS decided that the CMOS battery is not needed and the main battery would perform that function.

Last edited:
I had a similar issue with a Dell Inspiron 7559. In my case it was fixed by unchecking BD PROCHOT on Throttlestop. I don't remember what Throttlestop showed on the Limits windows