• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Intros AMD Triple-Core Phenom OptiPlex Computers Next Week

Processor AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D
Motherboard ASUS TUF Gaming X570-Pro Wifi II
Cooling Hyper 212 EVO v2
Memory 2x16GB G.Skill DDR4-4000
Video Card(s) AMD RX 6750 XT
Storage WD Black SN850 2TB, various other SSD's from ages past
Display(s) LG 27GL850 1440@144, AG Neovo EM2701QC 1440@75
Case Zophos EVO Silent by Raijintek
Audio Device(s) HyperX Cloud II Wireless headphones
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse ProtoArc EM01
Keyboard Razer Blackwidow X Chroma Mercury
Software Windows 11 Pro
I thought these new Tri-Core procs were true 3 cores processors, and not a quad with a disabled core.

I heard they slowed down progress on the higher multi quad phenoms to make these, and I thought they were a true tri-core, am I wrong?

Nope, that's never been a plan for the x3's. They're hoping for better speed bins by cycling through quads and disabling the slowest core or using quads with 1 broken core as a x3. If demand is high for these we might see something along the lines of a true tri-core, but it would likely be composed of a quad core base, with only 3 cores installed. I think AMD is hoping for demand to be just right, that they can continuously produce quads, and sell off the weaker/broken ones as x3's and new-gen x2's.

It really makes a lot of sense, and it's absolutely no different than what both Intel and AMD have been doing for years. A new architecture comes out and you make as many as you can. Find the maximum speed, and bin them at different steps. Got an X2 with a busted core? Sell it as a sempron! Got a C2D with a borked core? Sell it as a Celeron! It's only as green as they've been all along. Broken chips get sold one way or another, now AMD can call it an advantage that their architecture is designed as such that there's another level they can sell on. Intel isn't going to pursue it, they'll just adjust prices on C2D's to match performance with AMD.

Hate on tri-cores if you want, but it's a standard practice. It's done by both companies, and it's been going on since the dawn of time.