• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell is amazing

...not.

Ordered a Dell Vostro 3550 off the Dell uk website. The laptop is advertised as 'Ships Fast'. I did not change anything from the standard specs so I took it as it was offered. Yet, I ordered it on 22 April, they first gave me an estimated delivery date of 28 April, and now I see that they changed that to 4 May, without even so much as sending me an email. I won't be holding my breath to be perfectly honest. As a matter of fact, I might just go ahead and cancel the order, as I find this quite unacceptable. I mean, if Dell sees fit to just change the rules of the game without even letting me know, then I don't even want to know what having to deal with warranty will be.

Bank Holidays i guess.

Ring them and threaten to cancel the order. There's no way you can get it before the 3rd now, unless it's already been posted.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Sorry... OK, that seems reasonable.:ohwell:

I just don't get it, though, if, I posted every time some order got changed/screwed-up/came doa and/or had trouble with some service... I'd have as many posts as Mussels and sore fingers.:shadedshu

And, the mis-leading title is so lame, sorry. But, true IMO.
How about this is a tech forum, not a :cry: forum.

Sorry, again, however, I tire of these type of threads.:banghead:

Bank Holidays i guess.

Ring them and threaten to cancel the order. There's no way you can get it before the 3rd now, unless it's already been posted.

I called them up and a Dell representative told me that 'Dell does not cancel online business orders'. Therefore there is no way to cancel an order once it has been placed. Awesome!

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
Theres a tech etailer here that does that, too. But you can set notifications. Can't you do that with Dells service? SOmething like "send me notifications about my order"?

Also, Holidays are a bitch.
Also, check the TOS if what that representative says actually holds water. Not being able to cancel something ordered online sounds weird.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
estimated delivery date of 28 April

They didn't change any rules of the game, they are estimated delivery dates for a reason. You didn't pay for a guaranteed delivery date, so get over it.

Dell laptops are still built to order, so there is a lead time when you order one, even if you don't customize it. If you wanted a guaranteed delievery date, then you should have bought one of the laptops out of their 24 Hour shipping section, which contains all the laptops they have pre-built and doesn't allow customization(there is a Vostro 3550 in that section actually, at least there is on the US site). Then picked a shipping method that is guaranteed as well.

Last edited:
Processor i5-7600k
Motherboard ASRock Z170 Pro4
Cooling CM Hyper 212 EVO w/ AC MX-4
Memory 2x8GB DDR4 2400 Corsair LPX Vengeance 15-15-15-36
Video Card(s) MSI Twin Frozr 1070ti
Storage 240GB Corsair Force GT
Display(s) 23' Dell AW2310
Case Corsair 550D
Power Supply Seasonic SS-760XP2 Platinum
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Also, check the TOS if what that representative says actually holds water. Not being able to cancel something ordered online sounds weird.

I agree. I would definitely ask for a manager or someone who holds a higher title than a representative. It's ridiculous that you can't cancel an order that's been made. (actually, how long between the order and the time that you wanted to cancel was there? More than 2 days?)

Fourstaff

Staff member
System Name Orange! // ItchyHands
Processor 3570K // 10400F
Motherboard ASRock z77 Extreme4 // TUF Gaming B460M-Plus
Cooling Stock // Stock
Memory 2x4Gb 1600Mhz CL9 Corsair XMS3 // 2x8Gb 3200 Mhz XPG D41
Video Card(s) Sapphire Nitro+ RX 570 // Asus TUF RTX 2070
Storage Samsung 840 250Gb // SX8200 480GB
Display(s) LG 22EA53VQ // Philips 275M QHD
Case NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange // Tecware Forge M
Power Supply Corsair CXM500w // CM MWE 600w
I called them up and a Dell representative told me that 'Dell does not cancel online business orders'. Therefore there is no way to cancel an order once it has been placed. Awesome!

If you are in UK there is a law saying that you can do that I think

http://www.oft.gov.uk/shared_oft/business_leaflets/general/oft698.pdf
Check 3.22.

http://www1.euro.dell.com/content/t...topics/footer/terms?c=uk&l=en&s=gen&~lt=popup
5.5 you are screwed.

Personally, I think this is expected, because it is in a holiday period, and I wouldn't expect it to arrive any sooner than the week after the royal wedding.

System Name Fractality 1.0
Processor Intel Core i7-860 @ 3.6GHz
Motherboard EVGA P55 SLI
Cooling Prolimatech Megahalems and four Fractal Design 120mm fans, sleeved
Memory 16GB Kingston Hyper RAM
Video Card(s) PNY GeForce 580 XLR8
Storage 64GB and 180GB SSDs / 1TB and 2TB HDDs
Display(s) 24" Acer V243W
Case Fractal Design Define R2, sleeved all I/O cables
Audio Device(s) onboard
Power Supply Corsair HX750W modular, sadly only stock sleeving
Software Win 7 64bit
DELL said:
Consumers:
7.3 Consumers may cancel their Orders for any reason until, but no later than:
7.3.1 the end of the 7th "working day" (days other than weekend days & public holidays) after the day of receipt of the Product &/or of the Service Order Confirmation (as applicable); or
7.3.2 the end of the 7th working day after the date when all such information required by law is supplied.
7.4 Consumers' right to cancel Software that is supplied on CD, DVD or other similar storage devices is also lost if the Software is unwrapped.
7.5 On cancellation of Products Consumer is obliged to return the goods to Dell in their original condition, undamaged & at the cost of Consumer. Consumer shall take reasonable care to ensure that the goods are not damaged whilst in transit using means arranged by Consumer. Whilst in possession of the goods Consumer shall be under a duty to take reasonable care of them. Dell shall take action against Consumer for goods returned which have been made unfit for resale or damaged whilst in the possession of Consumer.
7.6 The provisions of Clauses 7.3, 7.4 & 7.5 do not apply to Product or Software that is damaged or defective.
7.7 On cancellation of the Order Dell will refund the price paid, less the direct cost of recovering the goods (when applicable), within a period of 30 days from date of cancellation.

Hooray for wtf am I reading

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Don't know where you are located, so this is the US info:

Quoted from their web page - Canceling an Order

Canceling an Order

We begin processing your order immediately upon submission, so once your order enters into production, it may be too late to cancel. To check if your order can be canceled, read below.

Note: If your order is delayed by Dell, you will receive notice and the option to cancel the order in accordance with the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) Mail Order Rule.
If you have ordered a custom-built PC, we can only cancel your order prior to beginning the production process. Go to My Order Status to check the status of your order.
If your order is listed as Pending or Order Processing, we will attempt to cancel your order — call us right away at 1-800-624-9897.
If your order is listed as In Production or Shipped, we will not be able to cancel it. However, after you receive delivery of your order, you still have the option to return it subject to Dell™ Return Policy. Read the Initiate a Return topic for more information.

For all other products, including software, accessories, ink, and fast-track or prebuilt PCs, it may be possible to cancel your order before it ships. Go to My Order Status to check the status of your order.
If your order is not yet listed as Shipped, we will attempt to cancel your order — call us right away at 1-800-624-9897.
If your order is listed as Shipped, it is no longer possible to cancel it. However, after you receive delivery of your order, you may still have the option to return it subject to Dell Return Policy. Read the Initiate a Return section for more information.

Good luck to you, hope it gets resolved.:)

Edit: update for UK

Q Can I Cancel My order?
A If you have ordered a Dell system:
It’s only possible to cancel your order before we start to manufacture it. To check if it’s still possible to cancel
your order, please go to the Dell Order Status tool.

If your order is listed as “Order received”, “Order Processing” or “Work In Progress” , you may still be able to cancel your
order – please inform us right away by filling in the web form* below.

If your order has passed “In Production” or “Shipped” it’s no longer possible to cancel it. However, after you
receive delivery of your order, you still have the option to return it to Dell within 7 days from receipt of order.

Unless the product is defective or the return is a direct result of a Dell error, a collection fee will apply to cover
the costs for return. For more information about Dell’s return policy click here.

Next Steps Click here to check your order status
If your Order Status is still in a phase where cancellation may be possible, click here to request cancellation through our web form*.

Hooray for wtf am I reading

What MRCL said, unless you ordered it as a business customer.

Uh-oh!
'Dell does not cancel online business orders'

Link to Terms and Conditions of Sale -- Direct (Applies to all direct purchases-by internet or phone)

Consumers:
7.3 Consumers may cancel their Orders for any reason until, but no later than:
7.3.1 the end of the 7th "working day" (days other than weekend days & public holidays) after the day of receipt of the Product &/or of the Service Order Confirmation (as applicable); or
7.3.2 the end of the 7th working day after the date when all such information required by law is supplied.
7.4 Consumers' right to cancel Software that is supplied on CD, DVD or other similar storage devices is also lost if the Software is unwrapped.
7.5 On cancellation of Products Consumer is obliged to return the goods to Dell in their original condition, undamaged & at the cost of Consumer. Consumer shall take reasonable care to ensure that the goods are not damaged whilst in transit using means arranged by Consumer. Whilst in possession of the goods Consumer shall be under a duty to take reasonable care of them. Dell shall take action against Consumer for goods returned which have been made unfit for resale or damaged whilst in the possession of Consumer.
7.6 The provisions of Clauses 7.3, 7.4 & 7.5 do not apply to Product or Software that is damaged or defective.
7.7 On cancellation of the Order Dell will refund the price paid, less the direct cost of recovering the goods (when applicable), within a period of 30 days from date of cancellation.

Business Users:
7.8 Notwithstanding anything herein to the contrary (including without limitation Clauses 3.3 & 3.4), Business Users may only reject Product for material non-conformity with the Product Description by providing written notice to Dell within 7 days after delivery or otherwise shall be deemed to have accepted the Products.

Last edited:
I am located within the UK

EDIT: Also, how does getting something two weeks after you've ordered it qualify as fast delivery? If this doesn't border false advertising then I don't know what to say. Also, the first delivery date was before the royal wedding, so it cannot be summoned as an excuse.

Last edited:
Thanks for the help guys, I will make sure to make a note of my rights as a consumer in this situation. I will think more about if I need to cancel this order.

System Name Thought I'd be done with this by now
Processor i7 11700k 8/16
Motherboard MSI Z590 Pro Wifi
Cooling Be Quiet Dark Rock Pro 4, 9x aigo AR12
Memory 32GB GSkill TridentZ Neo DDR4-4000 CL18-22-22-42
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 2x Geforce RTX 3070
Storage 1TB MX300 M.2 OS + Games, + cloud mostly
Display(s) Samsung 40" 4k (TV)
Case Lian Li PC-011 Dynamic EVO Black
Audio Device(s) onboard HD -> Yamaha 5.1
Power Supply EVGA 850 GQ
Mouse Logitech wireless
Keyboard same
VR HMD nah
Software Windows 10
Benchmark Scores no one cares anymore lols
dude it's prolly shipping from round rock, TX and your customs is likley the reason for the delay. Don't get mad at dell for shipping they have no control over that, they simply build and ship. Blame the carrier. Besides did you pay for any special shipping service? if you selected default it gets there when it gets there. That's your own fault then.

System Name PC
Processor AMD Ryzen 3600
Motherboard MSI B450 Mortar Max
Cooling Phanteks PH-TC12DX, 3 x NZXT FN 140mm, 1x NZXT FV V2 120mm
Memory 32gb DDR4 3200mhz
Video Card(s) ASUS R9 290 DCII-OC 4GB
Storage corsair mp600 1TB
Display(s) LG 27MB85Z 27" 1440p
Case NZXT Source 340
Power Supply Thermaltake 675w
Mouse Logitech G500S
Keyboard Logitech G510S
Software Windows 8.1 64 bit
dude it's prolly shipping from round rock, TX and your customs is likley the reason for the delay. Don't get mad at dell for shipping they have no control over that, they simply build and ship. Blame the carrier. Besides did you pay for any special shipping service? if you selected default it gets there when it gets there. That's your own fault then.

customs dosn't matter too much, play.com have to ship all their parcels through customs and they can still get things to you by the end of the week

System Name Sovereign // HTPC
Processor i7 3770k 4.2 // i7 3770k 4.2
Motherboard Maximus V Gene // Sabertooth Z77
Cooling Noctua D14 // Intel HSF
Memory 16GB Samsung // 16GB VengeanceLP
Video Card(s) Deciding // 660 DC2
Storage OS (X25-M), Data (Seagate 1TB) // Samsung 840 120GB & bunch of drives
Display(s) Samsung T240HD // LG TV
Case TJ08e // Grandia GD08
Audio Device(s) DT880 Pro 250 ohm // TV speakers
Power Supply Seasonic Plat 1000 // Seasonic Gold 760
Software Windows 8 Pro x64 // Windows 7 Pro x64
You fooled me with the amazing... not! i hate UUUU

Processor Ryzen 5900X
Motherboard ASUS Prime X470 Pro
Cooling Arctic liquid freezer II 240
Memory 2 x 16 Gb Gskill Trident Z 3600 Mhz
Video Card(s) MSI Ventus 3060 Ti OC
Storage Samsung 960 EVO 500 Gb / 860 EVO 1 Tb
Display(s) Dell S2719DGF
Case Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Audio Device(s) Soundblaster Z
Power Supply Corsair RM850x
Mouse Logitech G703
Keyboard Logitech G513
Software Win 11
It depends on what it is tho some items like games and media are pre cleared for customs with special upc's, Other things like whole computers shipped residential are randomly screened to see if they meet your country's regulations for stuff like wireless etc.

Besides that, You where expecting anything would get done on a 3 day holiday weekend, you also ordered it on a holiday ?
If you count working business days your getting your pc shipped overseas in 1 week that is fast.

Frick

Fishfaced Nincompoop
System Name Black MC in Tokyo
Processor Ryzen 5 5600
Motherboard Asrock B450M-HDV
Cooling Be Quiet! Pure Rock 2
Memory 2 x 16GB Kingston Fury 3400mhz
Video Card(s) XFX 6950XT Speedster MERC 319
Storage Kingston A400 240GB | WD Black SN750 2TB |WD Blue 1TB x 2 | Toshiba P300 2TB | Seagate Expansion 8TB
Display(s) Samsung U32J590U 4K + BenQ GL2450HT 1080p
Case Fractal Design Define R4
Audio Device(s) Line6 UX1 + some headphones, Nektar SE61 keyboard
Power Supply Corsair RM850x v3
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Cherry MX Board 1.0 TKL Brown
VR HMD Acer Mixed Reality Headset
Software Windows 10 Pro
Benchmark Scores Rimworld 4K ready!
Can happen with every company you buy from. Unless you paid for fast delivery, as others have already said, you don't have much say in it.

AsRock

TPU addict
Processor AMD 3900X \ AMD 7700X
Motherboard ASRock AM4 X570 Pro 4 \ ASUS X670Xe TUF
Cooling D15
Memory Patriot 2x16GB PVS432G320C6K \ G.Skill Flare X5 F5-6000J3238F 2x16GB
Video Card(s) eVga GTX1060 SSC \ XFX RX 6950XT RX-695XATBD9
Storage Sammy 860, MX500, Sabrent Rocket 4 Sammy Evo 980 \ 1xSabrent Rocket 4+, Sammy 2x990 Pro
Display(s) Samsung 1080P \ LG 43UN700
Case Fractal Design Pop Air 2x140mm fans from Torrent \ Fractal Design Torrent 2 SilverStone FHP141x2
Audio Device(s) Yamaha RX-V677 \ Yamaha CX-830+Yamaha MX-630 Infinity RS4000\Paradigm P Studio 20, Blue Yeti
Power Supply Seasonic Prime TX-750 \ Corsair RM1000X Shift
Mouse Steelseries Sensei wireless \ Steelseries Sensei wireless
Keyboard Logitech K120 \ Wooting Two HE
Benchmark Scores Meh benchmarks.

Then in that case which is odd. I would do what newegg tell me if i change my mind about recieving some thing of them. Don't except it.

Although i think ya being pissy about the whole thing.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
I am located within the UK

EDIT: Also, how does getting something two weeks after you've ordered it qualify as fast delivery? If this doesn't border false advertising then I don't know what to say. Also, the first delivery date was before the royal wedding, so it cannot be summoned as an excuse.

I think you should read and understand things a bit more before making your purchase and getting your panties in a ruffle. The "Ships Fast" that is advertised on Dell's site, and applies to the Vostro 3550 that you order, only means that they give you free 2nd Day delivery. This only effects the method by which the laptop is shipped from Dell's warhouse to you. Standard shipping is UPS Worldwide Expidited, which is not a guaranteed service, and takes 3-4 business days to ship from the US to Europe. The "Ships Fast" gives you a free upgrade to the more expensive UPS WorldWide Saver, which despite its counter-intuitive name, is the more expensive option with 2 day guaranteed delivery to Europe from the US.

This has no effect on the build time of the actual product, which is what is the majority of the wait time in recieving it, and likely the reason for the delay. So I would suggest you have an understand of what things mean, and not just assume, before getting upset.

System Name Main Rig
Processor Athlon 5350
Motherboard AsRock mITX
Memory 4gb
Storage 120gb Kingston HyperX SSD
Display(s) Samsung Syncmaster 740N
Power Supply Corsair 430 watt
Likely coming from Malaysia. They might be willing to cancel your order, but they don't have to. Feels like you are making a big deal over nothing to me. It is actually possible to live a couple of weeks longer without that laptop. It's not a pizza--just wait it out and do something other than give yourself an ulcer over it in the meantime. Jesus--this internet thing has spoiled you all rotten. It the 80's it would take weeks for stuff to show up when you had to mail or phone your order in.

Haha, guess I am used to the promptness of other uk e-tailers. Oh well, I can live without it for another week, no biggie.

95Viper

Super Moderator
Staff member
Plus, the weather is not co-operating at the moment, if , it is coming through, via, the mid to eastern US.:)

Kreij

Senior Monkey Moderator
I've ordered many Dell systems for where I work. They are usually very good about getting out on or before the estimated date, but occasionally something slows up the process (for example, back-ordered parts).

When I ordered my wife's laptop, the order was place at about 9AM and I received an e-mail that it had shipped at noon. I was pretty amazed.

I've also never had any issues with warranty service. You have to answer their questions and run the diags they want you to, but either the parts, or the on-site repair guy, have always been there the next day.

System Name micropage7
Processor Intel Xeon X3470
Motherboard Gigabyte Technology Co. Ltd. P55A-UD3R (Socket 1156)
Cooling Enermax ETS-T40F
Memory Samsung 8.00GB Dual-Channel DDR3
Video Card(s) NVIDIA Quadro FX 1800
Storage V-GEN03AS18EU120GB, Seagate 2 x 1TB and Seagate 4TB
Display(s) Samsung 21 inch LCD Wide Screen
Case Icute Super 18
Audio Device(s) Auzentech X-Fi Forte
Power Supply Silverstone 600 Watt
Mouse Logitech G502
Keyboard Sades Excalibur + Taihao keycaps
Software Win 7 64-bit
Benchmark Scores Classified
I've ordered many Dell systems for where I work. They are usually very good about getting out on or before the estimated date, but occasionally something slows up the process (for example, back-ordered parts).

When I ordered my wife's laptop, the order was place at about 9AM and I received an e-mail that it had shipped at noon. I was pretty amazed.

I've also never had any issues with warranty service. You have to answer their questions and run the diags they want you to, but either the parts, or the on-site repair guy, have always been there the next day.

nice thats something called news, unfortunately in here dell not so famous
so just keep the good work for Dell :toast: