1. Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Plans to Switch to Display Port in 2008

Discussion in 'News' started by JacKz5o, Sep 21, 2007.

1. JacKz5o New Member

Thanks Received:
    Dell plans to completely make the switch over to display port on all notebooks and monitors in 2008. Their strategy is to simply force users to go with the new monitors since they carry a much lower price tag than current ones. Dell also hopes that once NVIDIA and AMD announce their display port video cards, more users will upgrade to new display port monitors as well. The first Dell display port notebook plans to appear early 2008 with the new monitors coming shortly after.

Source: Fudzilla

2. WarEagleAU

WarEagleAU Bird of Prey

Thanks Received:
    Well, its cheaper, so I guess its good. LCDs would be cheaper now if they didnt do an outrageous markup on them~

10 Year Member at TPU
  3. Sasqui

Sasqui

Thanks Received:
    What the hell is "display port"?

10 Year Member at TPU Crunching for Team TPU
  4. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    Ya what is that?

5. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    display port looks a lot like HDMI, you can read about it on wikipedia.

I think its a bold move, but if you want to move to a new standard you have to push hard. I think for a while though you will probably have cards featuring dvi and display port, or some kind of adapter to use, until every monitor maker adopts the new standard the market will split. Dell is in a good position to do it though, since they hold power over AMD and Nvidia as a big name OEM, so if they produce the cards dell will sell them. It'll also be a nice score for which every company can bring their display port cards to market first, as dell will be pretty much forced to use em.

But it does put a dampener on things for people who like to build their own systems and buy the big 2407 or 3007 monitors if dell forces the entire lineup to display port. But the increased bandwidth will hopefully make adaptation of the next generation of ultra high resolution displays, such as those running 3840x2400 :eek:

10 Year Member at TPU
  6. DaMulta

DaMulta My stars went supernova

Thanks Received:
    display port has no patent fees

HDMI does

So where do all the manufacturers want to go to save some cash?

10 Year Member at TPU
  7. Murasame

Murasame New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't think this will affect people who build there own comps at all. As it says Dell plans to do this to there notebooks. Doesn't mention anything about desktops at all.

10 Year Member at TPU
  8. surfsk8snow.jah

surfsk8snow.jah

Thanks Received:
    wow, that's... intense. Eff the real world, we got higher resolution on our Laptop screens...

9. kakazza New Member

Thanks Received:
    What are you guys whining about? It's not like current monitors only have ONE port. They have more like 5 different ones.

I guess they'll provide DVI, VGA and Display Port at least. Maybe HDMI and Component. And a few maybe S-VHS too (for what reason ever).
    And that although the point of Display Port is to have ONE unified standard, pff.

(Not to forget that it introduces longer encryption keys, *yay*)

10 Year Member at TPU
  10. Cuzza

Cuzza

Thanks Received:
    This displayport sounds like a great idea pity that HDMI is getting quite well entrenched.

11. Helvetica New Member

Thanks Received:
    Yea, but Dell makes some of the best monitors available. If they become even cheaper than they already are, this is good news for everyone.

12. wickerman

wickerman

Thanks Received:
    Well the article reads "The first Dell display port notebook plans to appear early 2008 with the new monitors coming shortly after." It would be rather silly to make display port exclusive to laptops as display expansion is not something all laptop users want or need. Sure its a lower profile adapter, and anything you can make components smaller you can usually make the device smaller, but there will have to be monitors released for the desktop market with display port, otherwise they are only targeting a small group of users.
    I wouldnt be surprised to see HDMI remain as the LCD TV market standard and have display port become the PC standard, but then again you can still buy video cards and monitors that use the VGA D-Sub connection :rolleyes:

10 Year Member at TPU
  13. rwerp New Member

Thanks Received:
    I don't get it: does it mean no D-SUB port on new Dell notebooks? That's insane, there are lots and lots of old beamer projectors which have only D-SUB connection. People that travel around giving talks won't buy such castrated notebooks.

14. FreedomEclipse

FreedomEclipse ~Technological Technocrat~

Thanks Received:
    nobody said you had to buy a DELL laptop, there are still loads of brand that still will support DVI & VGA - Its just that you will possibly have to pay a little more then what dell would usually ask for on one of their laptops

sure it will be a kick in the nuts but then again im sure DELL wont phase it out completely & they will stock possibly a few laptops with DVI or VGA for those that need them. failing that they can always build u a completely new one if you put in an order to save themselves from have excess stock sitting on the shelves.

15. Wile E

Wile E Power User

Thanks Received:
    I'm also inclined to believe that there will be simple adapters available.

10 Year Member at TPU
  16. Wayward

Wayward New Member

Thanks Received:
    I certainly hope so. Otherwise can you imagine the backward compatibility issues?

Display port isn't a perfect solution, but it's certainly better than HDMI. This sounds like good news to me. :)

17. simlariver

Thanks Received:
    This is a good thing as HDMI was total nonsense. But again, I still wonder why SDI-HD isn't more mainstream (apart from the fact that it is not encrypted).

I hope Sony will go with Displayport in the future ...

18. mdm-adph

mdm-adph New Member

Thanks Received:
    Hey, for once I like this -- I've always thought it kinda silly that new laptops are shipping with as many as four video outs these days (VGA, DVI, HDMI, S-Video, RCA, etc.).