• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Poweredge t610 into gaming pc

rusststone1

These are the PCI up close.

Attachments

• 20180127_182359.jpg
    20180127_182359.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 726

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
I have one 570w power supply. A compartment for another one. Should I get it, or does it even work that way? Should I get a bigger power supply? What would you suggest? I plan on having only one 2TB hdd, and two six core CPUs in addition to the GPU if I can make the proper modifications.

I may be getting ahead of myself here anyways. This is a server from work they had to replace because some port went bad on it. It was about 2 years ago so I am a bit fuzzie on the reason. I think it was an ethernet port. It does not have a power cord or hdd, so waiting on both of those to come in. So I haven't even been able to power it up to see whats going on. Worst case scenario, what if it has a bad motherboard. Do they make mother boards for this still? What should I consider getting. Money is a bit of a factor, but willing to spend what's necessary to get it going right.

you cant just slap in a regular PSU to them, so it matters what cables the PSU has - you'll need to check that yourself and get back to us

What about a riser? That should help some maybe.
A riser extender, while normally a good idea, has the same problem in that the PCIE connector for the extender is going to need to fit into a 16x physical slot or an 8x with the end open unless you can find one with an 8x connector on the end. And even if you can, where will the card fit in that chassis? It'll take great care, but the end of one of those 8x slots needs to be opened up.
I've taken the pic you uploaded and marked in red the weak points in the plastic where you want to use a razor and very gently cut down about 1mm. You only need to weaken the top for the rest to break away clean. Then with needle-nose pliers grip the spots in yellow and bend, not pull, down in the direction of the orange arrow. That is what I've done to open up 8x slots for video card use. The key is to be patient, take your time and be very careful.
8xPCIE-UnBlock_1.jpg
EDIT; There is this; https://www.amazon.com/Water-Express-Riser-Flexible-Extension/dp/B00P26HFVO
But you'll still need to figure out where to put the card and how to route cables.

I personally would still break the plastic out. But again, only suggestions here.

Last edited:

rusststone1

Just want you all to know that I haven't forgotten to let you all know how it's going. It's going slow. Time and money really. Plus dumb mistakes not paying attention to the small details like ordering the wrong cpus and having to return them.

Main thing I am running into is power. I got a second 570w power supply but when I installed it , the computer wont work with it. I uninstall it and server works fine again. Second, I have no idea how to get power to a video card. The PCi slots only produce 25w but the suggested video cards need at least 120. The power supplies for the server don't have sockets I can plug a sata into or any sockets for that matter.

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
Then with needle-nose pliers grip the spots in yellow and bend, not pull, down in the direction of the orange arrow. That is what I've done to open up 8x slots for video card use. The key is to be patient, take your time and be very careful.

I've had better luck in the past doing this with a straight razor blade and just cutting the back out.

Of course, there is always the option of just cutting the PCI-E connector on the graphics card itself too...

I've had better luck in the past doing this with a straight razor blade and just cutting the back out.
That requires a lot of force to be used and if you slip, down into the mobo it goes. The method described above has never failed. Have only done it half a dozen times but still.
Of course, there is always the option of just cutting the PCI-E connector on the graphics card itself too...
Oh good grief, I definitely would never do that... Keeping it simple is always best. The little piece of plastic on the end of the slot is the problem, removing it is the best option.

phill

Staff member
System Name Not so complete or overkill - There are others!! Just no room to put! :D
Processor Ryzen Threadripper 3970X
Motherboard Asus Zenith 2 Extreme Alpha
Cooling Lots!! Dual GTX 560 rads with D5 pumps for each rad. One rad for each component
Memory Viper Steel 4 x 16GB DDR4 3600MHz not sure on the timings... Probably still at 2667!! :(
Video Card(s) Asus Strix 3090 with front and rear active full cover water blocks
Storage I'm bound to forget something here - 250GB OS, 2 x 1TB NVME, 2 x 1TB SSD, 4TB SSD, 2 x 8TB HD etc...
Display(s) 3 x Dell 27" S2721DGFA @ 7680 x 1440P @ 144Hz or 165Hz - working on it!!
Case The big Thermaltake that looks like a Case Mods
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply EVGA 1600W T2
Mouse Corsair thingy
Keyboard Razer something or other....
VR HMD No headset yet
Software Windows 11 OS... Not a fan!!
Benchmark Scores I've actually never benched it!! Too busy with WCG and FAH and not gaming! :( :( Not OC'd it!! :(
I'd grab a PCIe riser... I'm sure that would be the easiest and safest option....

newtekie1

Semi-Retired Folder
Processor Intel Core i7 10850K@5.2GHz
Motherboard AsRock Z470 Taichi
Cooling Corsair H115i Pro w/ Noctua NF-A14 Fans
Memory 32GB DDR4-3600
Video Card(s) RTX 2070 Super
Storage 500GB SX8200 Pro + 8TB with 1TB SSD Cache
Display(s) Acer Nitro VG280K 4K 28"
Case Fractal Design Define S
Audio Device(s) Onboard is good enough for me
Power Supply eVGA SuperNOVA 1000w G3
Software Windows 10 Pro x64
That requires a lot of force to be used and if you slip, down into the mobo it goes. The method described above has never failed. Have only done it half a dozen times but still.

Not really. If you use the right kind of razor blade and go slow it is controllable and won't slip. If you use one of these it is extremely easy cut out the back of the slot without much effort. It helps if you heat the blade too.

Oh good grief, I definitely would never do that... Keeping it simple is always best. The little piece of plastic on the end of the slot is the problem, removing it is the best option.

I have in the past, it depends on what you care more about, the motherboard or the graphics card. It's pretty simple, about a minute with a dremel and your done.

gpudremel.jpg

It helps if you heat the blade too.
Like with a blow-torch. That would make it much easier going all the way through.
I have in the past, it depends on what you care more about, the motherboard or the graphics card. It's pretty simple, about a minute with a dremel and your done.
Just cringed looking at that picture. On a cheap card, ok. On a nice card? Hell no.

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
Where does the power come from. There are no sockets on the power supply

Yeah, because these servers aren't designed for discrete graphics cards. You definitely aren't going to be able to install one that uses additional power connectors in there, because (according to my research) the T610's PSU backplane provides a grand total of 1 (one) SATA power connector and 1 (one) Molex power connector. That's it.

That means you cannot use a Molex-to-PCIe power adapter, because those take 2 Molex connectors and convert them to a single 6-pin PCIe connector. Yes, you can find such adapters that take a single Molex, but those are fire hazards waiting to happen. Yes, you could get a SATA-to-Molex adapter and then plug a Molex-to-PCIe into that contraption, but that's also a fire risk.

At best you could probably get away with a discrete GPU that uses only the PCIe bus for power, e.g. GTX 1050 - but you have stated that the PCIe slots provide only 25W instead of the 75W that the PCIe spec requires (interested to know where you got that figure), so that's not going to work either.

My advice: stop trying to shove a square peg into a round hole.

rusststone1

Yeah, because these servers aren't designed for discrete graphics cards. You definitely aren't going to be able to install one that uses additional power connectors in there, because (according to my research) the T610's PSU backplane provides a grand total of 1 (one) SATA power connector and 1 (one) Molex power connector. That's it.

That means you cannot use a Molex-to-PCIe power adapter, because those take 2 Molex connectors and convert them to a single 6-pin PCIe connector. Yes, you can find such adapters that take a single Molex, but those are fire hazards waiting to happen. Yes, you could get a SATA-to-Molex adapter and then plug a Molex-to-PCIe into that contraption, but that's also a fire risk.

At best you could probably get away with a discrete GPU that uses only the PCIe bus for power, e.g. GTX 1050 - but you have stated that the PCIe slots provide only 25W instead of the 75W that the PCIe spec requires (interested to know where you got that figure), so that's not going to work either.

Dell technical guide for thr t610

(interested to know where you got that figure)
Dell technical guide for thr t610
@Assimilator This ^ and also; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
In the area talking about power it clearly states that 4x PCIe slots are limited to 25w. This is a known spec. However, adding or replacing the factory power supply with a more conventional one is not outside the realm of possibility.
He's asking for help getting it working to it's maximum, not for advice on whether he should. Let's be helpful.

Last edited:

rusststone1

This ^ and also; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
In the area talking about power it clearly states that 4x PCIe slots are limited to 25w. This is a known spec. However, adding or replacing the factory power supply with a more conventional one is not outside the realm of possibility.

He's asking for help getting it working to it's maximum, not for advice on whether he should. Let's be helpful.

Can someone translate this for me. I have a iomega rev 35gb drive and the power requirements for it are --- 5.0 +/- 0.25 V D.C., up to 1.2 amps continuous current-- . That does not seem like much power. I was hoping to use the sata from it for a gpu

System Name Firelance.
Processor Threadripper 3960X
Motherboard ROG Strix TRX40-E Gaming
Cooling IceGem 360 + 6x Arctic Cooling P12
Memory 8x 16GB Patriot Viper DDR4-3200 CL16
Video Card(s) MSI GeForce RTX 4060 Ti Ventus 2X OC
Storage 2TB WD SN850X (boot), 4TB Crucial P3 (data)
Display(s) 3x AOC Q32E2N (32" 2560x1440 75Hz)
Case Enthoo Pro II Server Edition (Closed Panel) + 6 fans
Power Supply Fractal Design Ion+ 2 Platinum 760W
Mouse Logitech G602
Keyboard Logitech G613
Software Windows 10 Professional x64
@Assimilator This ^ and also; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PCI_Express
In the area talking about power it clearly states that 4x PCIe slots are limited to 25w. This is a known spec.

Incorrect. A PCIe slot provides up to 25W for "ordinary" cards and up to 75W for "high power" cards, like GPUs, that request it.

However, adding or replacing the factory power supply with a more conventional one is not outside the realm of possibility.

Actually it is, because the motherboard of this server has Dell proprietary power connectors. Good f'n luck finding a pinout for those... and even if you did, you'd have to do the mother of all hack jobs to convert from standard ATX PSU connectors to those. In fact I'd be completely unsurprised if some of those pins use non-ATX voltages.

Maxing out CPU and RAM is as far as this server is gonna go without a serious time/money/effort/blood/sweat/tears investment. Advising him not to save time and money by not making that investment, sounds pretty helpful to me. Or did the word get redefined while I wasn't looking?

Mussels

Freshwater Moderator
Staff member
System Name Rainbow Sparkles (Power efficient, <350W gaming load)
Processor Ryzen R7 5800x3D (Undervolted, 4.45GHz all core)
Motherboard Asus x570-F (BIOS Modded)
Cooling Alphacool Apex UV - Alphacool Eisblock XPX Aurora + EK Quantum ARGB 3090 w/ active backplate
Memory 2x32GB DDR4 3600 Corsair Vengeance RGB @3866 C18-22-22-22-42 TRFC704 (1.4V Hynix MJR - SoC 1.15V)
Video Card(s) Galax RTX 3090 SG 24GB: Underclocked to 1700Mhz 0.750v (375W down to 250W))
Storage 2TB WD SN850 NVME + 1TB Sasmsung 970 Pro NVME + 1TB Intel 6000P NVME USB 3.2
Display(s) Phillips 32 32M1N5800A (4k144), LG 32" (4K60) | Gigabyte G32QC (2k165) | Phillips 328m6fjrmb (2K144)
Case Fractal Design R6
Audio Device(s) Logitech G560 | Corsair Void pro RGB |Blue Yeti mic
Power Supply Fractal Ion+ 2 860W (Platinum) (This thing is God-tier. Silent and TINY)
Mouse Logitech G Pro wireless + Steelseries Prisma XL
Keyboard Razer Huntsman TE ( Sexy white keycaps)
VR HMD Oculus Rift S + Quest 2
Software Windows 11 pro x64 (Yes, it's genuinely a good OS) OpenRGB - ditch the branded bloatware!
Benchmark Scores Nyooom.
are external GPU cages compatible with PCI-E x4 slots?

not something i've dealt with yet