• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

Windows x64 SP2? What Service Pack 2?

There's none listed at Microsoft Catalog Update site.

System Name DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO / HP 17 ca1065cl
Processor 11th Gen Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-1165G7 @ 2.80GHz / Ryzen 5 3500u
Memory 16GB /12GB
Video Card(s) NVIDIA MX 330 / Radeon Vega 8
Storage 1TB +SSD
Display(s) 23.8 inch touch screen 17.3 touch screen
Case DELL AIO / HP LAPTOP
Mouse Dell Wireless /LOGITECH
Keyboard Dell Wireless / HP LAPTOP
Software WINDOWS 11
I don't think my DELL Inspiron 5400 AIO really qualifies as a work station but man this thing is pretty powerful and its 11 gen Core i7 processor is wicked fast.

DaGonz

Hello all,

I think the time has come to retire the Dell T5500, can anyone recommend a newer model?
I have some dell t5600, t3600 motherboards and a t3600 case and fans. some t5600 motherboards have memory slots that are not reading out. not sure if its the dim slots or the cpu. but they run pity good. the t3600s run both registered and non registered. I have t5600 boards installed on t3600 cases. if you want some parts let me know.

Has anyone used dual port 10gb sfp plus cards from emulex on t5600 t3600?

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Motherboard Dell v6 G1CNH
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Video Card(s) Onboard currently
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
I have some dell t5600, t3600 motherboards and a t3600 case and fans. some t5600 motherboards have memory slots that are not reading out. not sure if its the dim slots or the cpu. but they run pity good. the t3600s run both registered and non registered. I have t5600 boards installed on t3600 cases. if you want some parts let me know.

Has anyone used dual port 10gb sfp plus cards from emulex on t5600 t3600?
Thanks anyway but I have already replaced motherboard and other parts. I have the ability to get a new server so I am getting a Dell T620 server.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Hey have you considered the 720? I know you might have done your research. I was told the 720 was worth it.
Yea, I want the Tower which is the 720 version of

@DaGonz

What I meant to say is the Dell T620 is the same Generation, the Dell T620 is essentially the tower version of the 720.

Cheese Burger Eddy

Alright so I am now having issues. I ripped the T7500 down to the bare frame, cleaned it heavily and then built it back up according to the service manual. I left out the network card, a USB card and instead of using the FX3800 Quadro or whatever, I put in my Radeon 7870. I swapped the previous, X5550's with my new, X5675s and I moved the 6x2gb sticks of ram to the 4,5,6 DIMMS and put my 4gb sticks in the first slots (again as per the service manuals config).

I then went to boot the PC up for the first time and I got nothing. Black screen, no video signal, mouse doesn't light up etc. The power comes on solid green the front LEDs flash briefly and then I get #2 solid green and power. The GPU spins up, the case fans spin up, I can hear the HDDs spooling but no bios, no logo, no signal.

I figured it may be a problem with the 7870 so yesterday I had ordered the 2x6 to 1x8 PCI cable and a SATA to PCI controller. I swapped the 7870 for my 1070, tried to boot and the same thing happens. I pulled the CMOS bat with no power attached, hit the power button a few times and replaced and tried again. Nothing. The 1070 is in Slot 2 and I installed the SATA controller in Slot 6 (x16 slot wired as X4) and moved the HDDs to that. Same issue. Tried the HDDs individually and even without any HDD, still the same issue.

I then pulled the secondary CPU riser, tried again and got the same error. I pulled the 1070 and replaced with the Quadro it came with, still no change. I then reset the CMOS battery again with no change. I put the Chassis Intrusion Header back in and taped the sensor down with no change. After some searching, I was told the front USB bus can be an issue. I pulled the Data, front audio and USB cable in various stages of disconnected and connected and it would either give the same error, not turn on ( when the "data" cable is pulled) or turn on with no front LEDs but not post.

I did notice in the service manual that the "audio" cable the list is red, but is connected to "Front Panel 1394 Connector" and that the black cable is connected to "Front Panel Audio Connector".

Any thoughts on the green, solid power, no post no signal but with a Solid #2 green? The Guide says "Reserved" or "PCI Device failure/config" and I have double and triple checked that the devices are not failing.

I'll admit I'm stumped. Those are some weird issues. What happens when you just boot with 1 2GB stick for each CPU(each in slot 1)? The mixed RAM might be doing it to you..

Cheese Burger Eddy

I'll admit I'm stumped. Those are some weird issues. What happens when you just boot with 1 2GB stick for each CPU(each in slot 1)? The mixed RAM might be doing it to you..
Turns out the bios in the motherboard was too old. Flashed it, the x5675 started working. The computer recognized both cpu1 and cpu2. Then i was getting riser dimm 3 errors. I swapped the ram around and then got no post with the riser in, getting solid 3 and 4 leds. Pulled the riser and it works. I put all 24gbs of ram 9nto the main board and will run single cpu untily other 24gbs show up.

Turns out the bios in the motherboard was too old. Flashed it, the x5675 started working. The computer recognized both cpu1 and cpu2. Then i was getting riser dimm 3 errors. I swapped the ram around and then got no post with the riser in, getting solid 3 and 4 leds. Pulled the riser and it works. I put all 24gbs of ram 9nto the main board and will run single cpu untily other 24gbs show up.
Bad riser? Ouch. Bent pins in the riser socket plug?

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Does anyone here have a Dell T620 or R720?

Cheese Burger Eddy

Well for a few days now, the T7500 is up and running. The build is below. I did have a pile of issues while building this machine. Originally the T7500 had a Quadro, 6x2gb of ram, 2x1.5tb HDD, the 1100w PSU and a host of other expansion slot cards. I stripped it down to just the case, went through 4 or 5 cans of compressed air and put it back together. The first attempted bootup with the X5675 Xeons, it throws a PCI card failure code, so I removed everything, tried several GPUs, different configurations of ram/hdd and eventually with only 1 CPU installed. It continued to not boot. Then I figured out it had to be the Bios, so in went 1, 2gb stick of ram, the Quadro it came with and I flash the Bios from A01 to A18. I then confirmed the bios flash worked and installed all 24gbs of ram and only a single, X5675 on the Mobo and tried again. This time it would boot, so I then removed the quadro and installed my GTX 1070. Everything was working decently, other than a very slow boot sequence. After my second order of PC3-10600r, 6x4gb came in, I installed those into the riser. At first, the PC wouldn't post properly. I was reading that sometimes the T7500 riser support begins to sag, so I was planning on putting in a little jack made out of a bolt/screw, which didn't work for unrelated reasons. Then finally, the second CPU riser booted with the PC with the side panel installed.

During the boot sequence however, I get a mismatched/non functioning ram error on the Riser board, DIMM 3, which I can choose to ignore. If I ignore it, the PC still recognizes the full, 48gb of ram and sees DIMM 3 working and utilizes the stick. I did try moving the main, mobo sticks to the riser, which had not thrown errors, however it didn't matter what stick was installed in that DIMM or if I installed no stick at all, it still gave the error. I have chosen to ignore it.

After the second CPU was installed, I of course needed to run benchmarks. The dual, 6 core xeons with 24gb of ram each, definitely out perform my i5-6600k (not overclocked) with 16gb of ram in dual channel. So far I am happy with the setup and when I decide to not be lazy, I will be installing my current 500gb SSD into the Sata->PCIe card to be used as a boot disk for Windows/programs and then using SetFSB to overclock both the ram and the Xeons as much as I can comfortably.

Right now, playing my favored game (Escape from Tarkov) I am utilizing 25-30% of CPU power and around 60% GPU. For the CPUs, they are hovering around 50-60c, which has been standard even when relatively idle, so that is a good sign. Tarkov appears to be spreading the CPU usage across only the physical cores (1, 3, 5, 7 etc) pretty evenly so it is effectively running on 12 cores. I then fired up Space Engineers, which spiked my GPU usage to 99% and kept it pinned, but started using about 60% of CPU1, then after a re-set started using 60% (roughly) of CPU2 instead. It was rather strange. I plan on testing out several games in my library, including some very heavy duty games and updating performance stats as I get them. Overall, I am pleased with how the PC is running. It is fairly quiet all things considered and the performance is good enough. I want to change installation disk of Windows, push a few other things to see how it performs, but even then, I might not with how it is running now.

Dell T7500
2, Xeon X5675 CPUs
48gb PC3-10600r ECC
2x1.5tb 7200rpm WD HDD
1x500gb Silicon Power Ace SSD
Zotac GTX 1070 Amp! Edition
Dell U402f Heatsink

During the boot sequence however, I get a mismatched/non functioning ram error on the Riser board, DIMM 3, which I can choose to ignore. If I ignore it, the PC still recognizes the full, 48gb of ram and sees DIMM 3 working and utilizes the stick. I did try moving the main, mobo sticks to the riser, which had not thrown errors, however it didn't matter what stick was installed in that DIMM or if I installed no stick at all, it still gave the error. I have chosen to ignore it.
Does this error continue when you take the riser card out of the system? You may also want to check your RAM specs. All of your RAM must be the same speed, timing and rank. Any differences, not matter how small, can cause sync and ECC errors.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500

Cheese Burger Eddy

Does this error continue when you take the riser card out of the system? You may also want to check your RAM specs. All of your RAM must be the same speed, timing and rank. Any differences, not matter how small, can cause sync and ECC errors.

No the error goes away without the riser. It works despite the error. I have tried various configurations of ram, working sticks etc. It refuses to go away so I basically ignore it. The ram is all the same speed, timing and rank, but two manufacturers. However, since I have 6 sticks of each manufacturer, I did test 3 per CPU all the same, with the same result. I have seen a few posts around that the Riser DIMM 3 error is common and that just ignoring it is fine. It tells me it has an error OR that it is not optimally set, but all the sticks are running at 1333mhz and recognized so not a huge issue. I also swapped my GTX 1070 for a GTX 980ti (selling the 1070 while the prices are inflated).

Did you also update the Intel chipset driver? (link below) They can become corrupted and update often adds further compatibility and stability for known issues. Worth a try.

http://www.dell.com/support/home/en...=5c5h2&oscode=ww1&productcode=precision-t7500

I didn't actually do this. I will try it this weekend.

System Name Dell Precision T5500
Processor Xeon E5520 2.27Mhz
Motherboard 0D883F
Memory 3x4 = 12 Gb samsung 10600R
Video Card(s) ASUS GTX 960, 4Gb
Storage 128 ssd
Display(s) Medion 24' - hdmi
Audio Device(s) from hdmi monitor
Power Supply Dell 865 W
Mouse wireless logitech
Keyboard logitech
Software Ubuntu 16.04
Benchmark Scores GPU Blender benchmark total_render_time: bmw27: 414.258s Classroom:1137.3s
Hello,
From time to time, one of the two big front fans, makes frightening pulsing noise. Unmount+remount+cleaning and laying the Dell Precision T5500 horizontally up to now solve the problem, the silent blocks look fine. However, the day when the fan will completely fail, is coming. I found this :brand, the fan looks very similar to the original. On the pictures, it seems to have 5 pins, but it is sold as a 4 pins :

1621008869227.png
1621008965562.png

I'm not sure how difficult is it to remove the fan from its cage with new silent blocks...

I found this one, with carnival RGB leds no closeup of the 5-pin:
1621009157940.png

Can you recommend a compatible brand?
Thanks

Ok not sure if this is the best place to post this but here it goes. At work I have a dell t1700 running win 7 pro 32 as the pc for our alignment machine. Issue is bsod. What seems to be happening is the machine tries to sleep and either locks up with a black screen or bsod. Disabling sleep in bios results in a very unstable system. The best I have right now is using default bios setup other than running sata in ahci and I auto start caffeine. The machine can stay on for days with the alignment software open. I can even perform an alignment without issue. The problem happens now about 20 minutes after finishing an alignment. Without caffeine on the problem happens in 20 minutes regardless of anything. Windows is set to a high performance powerplan with nothing set to sleep or lose power. I've went through individual devices and set them to not power down in device manager. I've honestly never run into something like this. I've done multiple memory test with no error. Running stock ecc memory as well. Win 7 is up to date and my ssd shows no wear. Now I have a second machine identical one actually that I'm going to setup. But since this one was a clean install as well I don't have high hopes. If anyone is good at reading windows dump files I can get those off the machine. I actually don't know what to use to open and read them. And fyi camera drivers and updated to win 7 32bit. Will not work on x64 anything or win 10 32. Attempted and failed and vender offered no support in a newer driver.

No the error goes away without the riser. It works despite the error. I have tried various configurations of ram, working sticks etc. It refuses to go away so I basically ignore it. The ram is all the same speed, timing and rank, but two manufacturers. However, since I have 6 sticks of each manufacturer, I did test 3 per CPU all the same, with the same result. I have seen a few posts around that the Riser DIMM 3 error is common and that just ignoring it is fine. It tells me it has an error OR that it is not optimally set, but all the sticks are running at 1333mhz and recognized so not a huge issue.
If it's not causing any real problems, just the bootup warning, I'd say just go with the flow.

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
Does anyone here use a dell t620?

System Name Dell T620
Processor 2x E5-2697 v2
Cooling Stock
Memory 256GB
Storage N/A
Display(s) 1 x 27" 4K
Case Default OEM
Power Supply 2x 1100watt
What do you need help with?
LOL, had to think about that, for one wondering if anyone tried to quiet one down. and still looking at all the settings. this is my 1st real server so its got a lot of different stuff.

I read somewhere you can replace the fans with quieter ones, I am hoping to have that verifed by someone.

LOL, had to think about that, for one wondering if anyone tried to quiet one down. and still looking at all the settings. this is my 1st real server so its got a lot of different stuff.

I read somewhere you can replace the fans with quieter ones, I am hoping to have that verifed by someone.
To be fair, I've never tried. Those systems are designed to run in an temp controlled room that usually isolates them acoustically from the users they are meant to serve. It might be possible to quiet them down, but such an effort is likely to be pricey..