• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

olddatsunfan

You are right there, but, I've seen them as low as $80 USD. I don't need one though as I'm staying with the X5650 on the Z400.

XerXen

You are right there, but, I've seen them as low as $80 USD. I don't need one though as I'm staying with the X5650 on the Z400.

Its a nice solution! Dell have only a big passive cooler switch is rly weak for gaming .... but for "normal" surfing its ok , also with x5680
These hp workstation are interesting for me but my t3500 is my baby At the moment xD
Hope my storage upgrade with m.2 nvme pcie will be usefull xD
I need more GB's for these moofucking big games and stuff i use.......

Money is here the key that i dont have my Friend

Ahhh at Summer that comes is watercooling everytime a good Option :p

olddatsunfan

Its a nice solution! Dell have only a big passive cooler switch is rly weak for gaming .... but for "normal" surfing its ok , also with x5680
These hp workstation are interesting for me but my t3500 is my baby At the moment xD
Hope my storage upgrade with m.2 nvme pcie will be usefull xD
I need more GB's for these moofucking big games and stuff i use.......

I have the T3500 for myself and my daughter will be using the Z400. Neither of us are very demanding of the systems so we should be fine I think. In fact my nephew got me download a free game yesterday, something called Assassin's Creed Unity, it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to move the character in game :(!

sweet2th

Hey all,

I've recently come into possession of a T7500, and I'm wondering the best place to buy a 2nd CPU riser? They're massive amounts of money on eBay UK, and I just want to know if they can be bought cheaper elsewhere.

Cheers!

I'm wondering the best place to buy a 2nd CPU riser?
No, unfortunately. Unless you're will to troll the computer refurbishers and PC shops, you're stuck with Ebay in the UK. How expensive are we talking about?
BTW, Welcome to the forums and the thread mate!

sweet2th

No, unfortunately. Unless you're will to troll the computer refurbishers and PC shops, you're stuck with Ebay in the UK. How expensive are we talking about?
BTW, Welcome to the forums and the thread mate!

Thanks for having me! The cheapest assembled unit is £115. I paid £100 for the system itself!

XerXen

I have the T3500 for myself and my daughter will be using the Z400. Neither of us are very demanding of the systems so we should be fine I think. In fact my nephew got me download a free game yesterday, something called Assassin's Creed Unity, it took me 5 minutes to figure out how to move the character in game :(!

XD only need a XBOX Joypad or one with same looking Layout ;)
Than its easy because mostly the games have implement nice Pad (color + Lettern shown for ever Action on screen )

But i must say it will be difficult for me top to Play games xD
Only favorites i Play because the damn Hardware Controll sometimes!
Ive Played diablo 2 5+years and that so simple to Play ...... you dont need rly skillz xD

olddatsunfan

I think the problem XerXen is that I don't really play games, in fact, I noticed when I did a fresh Windows install yesterday on my new SSD, that Microsoft has been installing games on my computer for me! I uninstalled them though!

Thanks for having me! The cheapest assembled unit is £115. I paid £100 for the system itself!
And unfortunately that is the premium you're going to pay for that particular luxury. I would instead get a better CPU for the existing socket. A X5675 or X5680 would be a great match for that system and wouldn't be very expensive at all.

sweet2th

And unfortunately that is the premium you're going to pay for that particular luxury. I would instead get a better CPU for the existing socket. A X5675 or X5680 would be a great match for that system and wouldn't be very expensive at all.

That sucks, although the 5675 will probably suit my needs for now. I can always upgrade in the future.

If anyone on the forums is getting rid of a riser though, get in touch.

That sucks, although the 5675 will probably suit my needs for now. I can always upgrade in the future.

If anyone on the forums is getting rid of a riser though, get in touch.
The X5680 would be the better choice if you can find one for a decent price, say 45GBP or lower.

XerXen

Here ive buy my x5680 for only under 60€ comes After 2 days
It is out of stock at moment but the price for 5675 is nice top Shop

olddatsunfan

Is it worth double the price?

My guess is yes if you have the cooling to handle it. The W3680 has an unlocked multiplier as well as being 10% faster in clock speed. Both are Westmere EP 32nm chips so I would expect a nice increase in performance. From my snooping about, it seems that the W3680 is about $70 Can as opposed the X5675 is about $45 Can, hence my consideration of the W3680 at this point. The W3680 is meant for single CPU workstations though, the X5675 is capable of working in dual CPU workstations.

So I went and had a look at a Z420 this morning, unfortunately it had the 2011 bios so I turned it down.

Is it worth double the price?

Of the X5675, I mean.
That depends on your need. IF you need the extra 10-15%(accounting for turbo boost speeds) than yes. If you don't need it, go with the X5675. For me, the extra cost was worth it for certain usage scenario's.

My guess is yes if you have the cooling to handle it.
The heatsink included with all T7500's was rated to handle all socket 1366 CPU's, so that should not be a concern in this situation.

sweet2th

That depends on your need. IF you need the extra 10-15%(accounting for turbo boost speeds) than yes. If you don't need it, go with the X5675. For me, the extra cost was worth it for certain usage scenario's.

The heatsink included with all T7500's was rated to handle all socket 1366 CPU's, so that should not be a concern in this situation.

Neat. Do you think the W3680 is a better buy than the X5680 though?

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Won't work in the T7500. Both that and the T5500 boards are based on the Intel 5520 chipset that require two QPI link CPUs, even in single CPU configuration. The W3680 is single QPI. And are great choice for the X58 based T3500s which can use either type.

Won't work in the T7500. Both that and the T5500 boards are based on the Intel 5520 chipset that require two QPI link CPUs, even in single CPU configuration. The W3680 is single QPI. And are great choice for the X58 based T3500s which can use either type.
This. You will need the X56xx series Xeons for your system. Also I think the W3680's are a bit on the pricey side.

sweet2th

This. You will need the X56xx series Xeons for your system. Also I think the W3680's are a bit on the pricey side.

The W3680 is actually cheaper, believe it or not. My T7500 hasn't actually shipped from eBay, and it's been a week, so I might cancel the order. Since I can't afford the dual CPU upgrade anyway, may it be worth switching over to a T3500 and a 3680 instead?

jlegelis

Gents - T5500 owner here ~10 years old, original owner, been perfect, until lately. Recently, when rebooting, it will go in to a reboot loop *before* even getting to the bios screen. Just displays 3 & 4 on the front panel, then reboots itself. After 10 times, it will then boot normally to Windows 10 like nothing ever happened, and sounds like just the issue described here. I was running A16, then upgraded to A17 which has a note about addressing the 'associated Intel Reboot issue', but no improvement. Also updated to A18, same thing. This definitely seems to be a thing - I've reseated all memory and it passes all firmware tests. Any wisdom from the 'club' greatly appreciated!

olddatsunfan

he W3680 is actually cheaper, believe it or not. My T7500 hasn't actually shipped from eBay, and it's been a week, so I might cancel the order. Since I can't afford the dual CPU upgrade anyway, may it be worth switching over to a T3500 and a 3680 instead?

Hi sweet, I'm thinking that it depends on your usage needs. If you need the power of dual cpu's they can be had quite inexpensively, locally there is a T5500 with dual X5650's, 24gb of memory, ssd and hdd for $550 Can. Can you find something local to you, that would save you shipping charges at the very least. Personally, I won't even begin to tax the single cpu T3500 I've set aside for myself.

The W3680 is actually cheaper, believe it or not. My T7500 hasn't actually shipped from eBay, and it's been a week, so I might cancel the order. Since I can't afford the dual CPU upgrade anyway, may it be worth switching over to a T3500 and a 3680 instead?
It might be. That choice is up to you. The W3680 is a solid performer and the T3500 is a likewise solid system. However, the T7500 case has a better PSU(750w vs the T3500's 525W), a ton of expansion potential which can not be understated and there is the potential that you will find the riser card at another time for a good price. If it were me, I'd keep the system you've purchased and upgrade incrementally using the X5675 or X5680.

sweet2th

It might be. That choice is up to you. The W3680 is a solid performer and the T3500 is a likewise solid system. However, the T7500 case has a better PSU(750w vs the T3500's 525W), a ton of expansion potential which can not be understated and there is the potential that you will find the riser card at another time for a good price. If it were me, I'd keep the system you've purchased and upgrade incrementally using the X5675 or X5680.

Good point, especially as he's just told me he's shipped it! I've worked with a few Dells before, but not this particular machine. Might phase out my Ryzen if it can come anywhere close.

System Name Dell T3500
Processor Xeon X5687
Motherboard Dell - 9KPNV
Cooling Dell U016F
Memory 12gb ECC 1333
Video Card(s) MSI rx480 gaming X
Storage 1tb WD blue
Case Dell T3500
Agree. For gaming and light computing the T3500 is quite adequate. Ability to run W3680 overclocked is nice. If doing a lot of number crunching and video editing, the T5500s second CPU capability helps much. But no overclockable CPUs. The T5500 and T7500 will accept RDIMMs which are much cheaper. Populated mine with 8gbx6=48gb for under $70 (US dollars).

Wanted to mention BIOS again here. Older versions are not Westmere compatible. That started around 'A07' or so. If your system came with one and boots you're good. If it comes with an older CPU check BIOS version before upgrading. In that situation you need to upgrade to newer BIOS *before* changing to the Westmere or it will not boot.

[edit]
Gents - T5500 owner here ~10 years old, original owner, been perfect, until lately. Recently, when rebooting, it will go in to a reboot loop *before* even getting to the bios screen. Just displays 3 & 4 on the front panel, then reboots itself. After 10 times, it will then boot normally to Windows 10 like nothing ever happened, and sounds like just the issue described here. I was running A16, then upgraded to A17 which has a note about addressing the 'associated Intel Reboot issue', but no improvement. Also updated to A18, same thing. This definitely seems to be a thing - I've reseated all memory and it passes all firmware tests. Any wisdom from the 'club' greatly appreciated!
Welcome to the club. Your link does not work so not sure of the issue described. Given the 3 & 4 code you are on right track suspecting RAM. Some problems can be solved by clearing the CMOS. Instructions are on page 6 of the service manual here. Another possibility is board damage since It can warp from weight of the CPU riser over time. I believe Retrorockit brought this up a few pages back. You might try starting the system without side panel, case flat on it's side , and applying gentile pressure on the slots. If that solves the issue we have your answer.

Last edited: