• Welcome to TechPowerUp Forums, Guest! Please check out our forum guidelines for info related to our community.

Dell Workstation Owners Club

System Name BTXTREME
Processor QX6800 SLACP Core2 Extreme
Motherboard Dell 0WG864 LGA775 BTX
Cooling Dell T9303 heatpipe cooler, Delta GFB1212VHG 2 motor fan.
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Video Card(s) Sapphire Dual BIOS R9-285 ITX O/C 2GB DDR5
Storage Crucial M500 240GB SSD
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Case Dell Dimension E 520 MT
Audio Device(s) onboard sound with Logitech Z523 speakers
Power Supply EVGA B2 750W semi modular
Mouse Logitech wireless (two installed)
Keyboard Logitech wireless backlit
Software Win7-64, Throttlestop 6.00 overclock
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1
Thanks all. I've got a new MB on the way, hopefully will solve it.
Unfortunately the memory controller is on the CPU. Let us know if it works though. We would all like to know what the solution for this unusual problem turns out to be. In HP workstations it is required to swap MB versions for later CPUs so it's not unheard of.

rossco_50

Unfortunately the memory controller is on the CPU. Let us know if it works though. We would all like to know what the solution for this unusual problem turns out to be. In HP workstations it is required to swap MB versions for later CPUs so it's not unheard of.
Everything is work
Thanks all. I've got a new MB on the way, hopefully will solve it.
Everything is working with the new motherboard! must have been the socket, just weird though that it worked with the old CPU. Thanks for your replies and suggestions!

System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
Benchmark Scores 3DMark 11 P7644 (52% )In Win7 64, Firestrike 6892 ( 58% ) http://valid.x86.fr/l2j5p1

silie96630

I recently installed an SSD into my T3500 and a fresh copy of Windows. I removed my old HDD in case I needed to use my PC again if I messed something up. Everything worked flawlessly and after a week I was normally uing my PC when my screen turned black and sound stopped. I turned it off from the power button and after 15 seconds turned it on. It goes to the "start Windows normally" screen but there are red lines and patterns and when I press enter it just stays black. My T3500 isn't making any sounds, no signal codes and the GPU fan is spinning. All cables are plugged in properly into both the PC and the monitor. I added my old HDD disconnecting the SSD and I went into BIOS and changed from AHCI to the option it was on before and rebooted but the same thing happened. When going into system repair it shows an image but the screen is full off red lines (tried windows restore point but doesnt boot) . I tried removing the RAM sticks one by one however I get the same black screen after seeing the Windows logo screen. I don't understand why that happened and my suspicions are that the GPU is faulty but still has electrity passing through as the diagnostics code on the front of the PC do not light up. Has anyone had such a problem before and what was the issue? I doubt it's a DVI cable issue as it outputs image in Windows restore menu. I have attached a picture of the red lines but you have to zoom in as they are faint. Thanks in advance, I'm really panicking.
Update: I ran Dell on board diagnostics full test and its telling me none of the hardware are broken. I dont know what to do. Red Line Images

System Name XENOS (z-ee-n-oh-s)
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 OC 4.00 Ghz (6 cores, 12 threads)
Motherboard Dell Precision T3500 09KPNV BIOS A17
Cooling x2 OEM Foxconn 120mm in front, Nidec Beta V 90mm on CPU, x2 Insignia fans 80mm as Exhaust
Memory 24GB DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-12800U Non-ECC 3x8GB Crucial
Video Card(s) XFX GTS Black Edition Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 1405 Mhz
Storage x1 512GB Kingston KC400 SSD (boot), x1 Samsung 512GB SSD (games), and 2TB Seagate Mobile HDD
Display(s) x2 Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFPB (1920x1200, 60hz) & Samsung PN60F5500 3D Smart TV (1920x1080)
Case Dell Precision T5550 computer case
Audio Device(s) On-board sound (High Definition Audio Device), & AMD High Definition Audio Device
Power Supply Dell OEM 875W PSU
Mouse Rosewill NEON M62 (10000 DPI)
Keyboard Rosewill NEON K85 RGB (Kailh brown key switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit version 1909
Benchmark Scores Unigine Heaven 4.0 Score: 1244;
I recently installed an SSD into my T3500 and a fresh copy of Windows. I removed my old HDD in case I needed to use my PC again if I messed something up. Everything worked flawlessly and after a week I was normally uing my PC when my screen turned black and sound stopped. I turned it off from the power button and after 15 seconds turned it on. It goes to the "start Windows normally" screen but there are red lines and patterns and when I press enter it just stays black. My T3500 isn't making any sounds, no signal codes and the GPU fan is spinning. All cables are plugged in properly into both the PC and the monitor. I added my old HDD disconnecting the SSD and I went into BIOS and changed from AHCI to the option it was on before and rebooted but the same thing happened. When going into system repair it shows an image but the screen is full off red lines (tried windows restore point but doesnt boot) . I tried removing the RAM sticks one by one however I get the same black screen after seeing the Windows logo screen. I don't understand why that happened and my suspicions are that the GPU is faulty but still has electrity passing through as the diagnostics code on the front of the PC do not light up. Has anyone had such a problem before and what was the issue? I doubt it's a DVI cable issue as it outputs image in Windows restore menu. I have attached a picture of the red lines but you have to zoom in as they are faint. Thanks in advance, I'm really panicking.
Update: I ran Dell on board diagnostics full test and its telling me none of the hardware are broken. I dont know what to do. Red Line Images
It does seem to indicate the GPU is the problem.

Is the GPU making a good connection on the PCIE slot? You should try to remove the GPU and place it back in, and screw it in place for good measure.

I think its a good start for troubleshooting in my opinion.

Processor AMD Athlon X4 750K
Motherboard Gigabyte GA-F2A88X-D3H
Cooling Cooler Master Hyper 212+
Memory 16GB DDR3 1333Mhz
Video Card(s) Gigabyte GT 1030 2GB GDDR5
Storage KINGSTON SNVP325S2512GB
Display(s) DELL P2214H
Case Old beige case, housed a Socket 478 system
Power Supply Seasonic S12II-620 Bronze
I happen to have a i7-980X laying around. Any decent workstations that support that chip from Dell or otherwise? Seems like kind of a waste to see a 6 core/12 thread piece become a paperweight.

Its approaching Summer now. Maybe the TIM on the GPU has dried up. Time to clean and replace the GPU Thermal Paste with a good one like Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut.

System Name XENOS (z-ee-n-oh-s)
Processor Intel Xeon W3680 OC 4.00 Ghz (6 cores, 12 threads)
Motherboard Dell Precision T3500 09KPNV BIOS A17
Cooling x2 OEM Foxconn 120mm in front, Nidec Beta V 90mm on CPU, x2 Insignia fans 80mm as Exhaust
Memory 24GB DDR3 1600Mhz PC3-12800U Non-ECC 3x8GB Crucial
Video Card(s) XFX GTS Black Edition Radeon RX 580 8GB GDDR5 1405 Mhz
Storage x1 512GB Kingston KC400 SSD (boot), x1 Samsung 512GB SSD (games), and 2TB Seagate Mobile HDD
Display(s) x2 Dell Ultrasharp 2407WFPB (1920x1200, 60hz) & Samsung PN60F5500 3D Smart TV (1920x1080)
Case Dell Precision T5550 computer case
Audio Device(s) On-board sound (High Definition Audio Device), & AMD High Definition Audio Device
Power Supply Dell OEM 875W PSU
Mouse Rosewill NEON M62 (10000 DPI)
Keyboard Rosewill NEON K85 RGB (Kailh brown key switches)
Software Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit version 1909
Benchmark Scores Unigine Heaven 4.0 Score: 1244;
I happen to have a i7-980X laying around. Any decent workstations that support that chip from Dell or otherwise? Seems like kind of a waste to see a 6 core/12 thread piece become a paperweight.
The Dell Precision T3500 seems to support the i7-950, at least that's what Newegg had said.

This forum said that the T3500 with i7-920 is found on seller listings.

It should theoretically work on the T3500, but I cannot confirm it will work with the i7-980x however, I'll see if I can find more.

EDIT: https://www.reddit.com/r/hardwareswap/comments/8v7s32
This reddit post says the HP Z400 motherboard supports the i7-980x.

Last edited:

i7-980X is LGA 1366 processor and it supports X58 Chipset. So theoretically it should work on T3500 but you have to use Non-ECC RAM only, it wont work with ECC RAM. (T3500 supports both ECC and Non-ECC RAM, only thing is that one cannot mix n match both)

But I cannot tell it for sure as I haven't met anyone using Core I7 on T3500. Maybe the Dell BIOS may or may not recognizance that chip.

So, it may be trial and error.

i7-980X is LGA 1366 processor and it supports X58 Chipset. So theoretically it should work on T3500 but you have to use Non-ECC RAM only, it wont work with ECC RAM. (T3500 supports both ECC and Non-ECC RAM, only thing is that one cannot mix n match both)

But I cannot tell it for sure as I haven't met anyone using Core I7 on T3500. Maybe the Dell BIOS may or may not recognizance that chip.

So, it may be trial and error.
Dell is really forgiving about cpu choices between xeons and non-xeons so my hunch is that it will work if you can find at least one configuration online of someone running it successfully.

I'm not part of the club, but this thread really got me interested in these old workstations. I shopped around and ended up with an HP z420 with E5-2650 v2 for $205.
A little late to your HP party, but that model can take RDIMMs and LRDIMMs as I recently discovered--to the tune of 256GB of ram, which is what I have via 8x32GB LRDIMMs. :D:eek:

C7flat13

Hi I'm glad to find this community. Hopefully this is the right thread to find my answer. Apologies if it's not. I have a T5810 motherboard I would like to use with an EVGA Supernova 1300w G2. I have not received the PSU yet. I have browsed this entire thread and searched extensively but cannot find any conclusive info about ATX PSU compatibility with this particular board. I understand it's proprietary and uses an adaptor from the factory PSU etc. From what I can tell the motherboard power is the standard 24 pin? Or is it different? Also the CPU power connection is a 10 pin. Will an 8 pin (4+4) work? I have tried to piece together as much as I can so far. Some indications are the extra 2 pins are for sensors and should work? Anyway, I am familiar with X99 and may go that route just happen to have this board and would like to make use of it. The EVGA G2 PSU I read somewhere has a 10pin connector but I can't find that thread again and not even sure if it was referring to CPU power. If it is conclusively incompatible then any info about adaptors would be appreciated. Thanks!

System Name BTXTREME
Memory 8GB Dell DDR2@800
Display(s) Dell 22" LCD
The i7-980X should work just fine in the T3500. Dell doesn't usually offer the unlocked CPUs because the BIOS doesn't support that feature. But Throttlestop can unlock them in Windows. Be sure you have the BIOS and chipset drivers updated. Some older BIOs won't support the newer 32nm CPus.
Here's the overclocking thread. The W3680 Xeons settings should work for that CPU.

Hi I'm glad to find this community. Hopefully this is the right thread to find my answer. Apologies if it's not. I have a T5810 motherboard I would like to use with an EVGA Supernova 1300w G2. I have not received the PSU yet. I have browsed this entire thread and searched extensively but cannot find any conclusive info about ATX PSU compatibility with this particular board. I understand it's proprietary and uses an adaptor from the factory PSU etc. From what I can tell the motherboard power is the standard 24 pin? Or is it different? Also the CPU power connection is a 10 pin. Will an 8 pin (4+4) work? I have tried to piece together as much as I can so far. Some indications are the extra 2 pins are for sensors and should work? Anyway, I am familiar with X99 and may go that route just happen to have this board and would like to make use of it. The EVGA G2 PSU I read somewhere has a 10pin connector but I can't find that thread again and not even sure if it was referring to CPU power. If it is conclusively incompatible then any info about adaptors would be appreciated. Thanks!
[/QUOTE]
If you don't get an answer here. Try BambiboomZ at the HP modding forum. He said he can't sign up to post here for some reason, but he's the best hands on workstation modder I know of. If you get an answer there please share it here.
There was an EVGA PSU for the unlocked 2 CPU Classified SR2 MB and I believe it had a 10 pin CPU plug, but whether it's the same as Dells 10 pin plug is anybodys guess. EVGA SR2 was one of a kind, and Dell does their own thing quite often.

C7flat13

The i7-980X should work just fine in the T3500. Dell doesn't usually offer the unlocked CPUs because the BIOS doesn't support that feature. But Throttlestop can unlock them in Windows. Be sure you have the BIOS and chipset drivers updated. Some older BIOs won't support the newer 32nm CPus.
Here's the overclocking thread. The W3680 Xeons settings should work for that CPU.

If you don't get an answer here. Try BambiboomZ at the HP modding forum. He said he can't sign up to post here for some reason, but he's the best hands on workstation modder I know of. If you get an answer there please share it here.
[/QUOTE]
Thanks and will try that and return with answer if provided.

Didn't mean to quote that guys post sorry man. I just hit reply on the first page. Thought it would just post a new one. Noob move.

Thanks and will try that and return with answer if provided.

Didn't mean to quote that guys post sorry man. I just hit reply on the first page. Thought it would just post a new one. Noob move.
[/QUOTE]
BambiBoomZ did not have the answer specifically although he did have some useful information. Will update after build with results.

Last edited:
I bought my t3500 work station as a cheap project green gaming rig. Thanks to a lot of your guys post in dell forums ect ect I learned that my t3500 with a bios flash ( did that a month ago when I got my gtx 960) just to be sure the board would not barf the upgrade back up also needed such for the cpu I am getting x5687. To say the least I save myself a mint the rig cost me $100 the graphics card I bought from china galaxy 960 sc for 90 and a few ram module to fill my bays around $50 I say my reuse of hardware saved me my old rig died and I could not spend $800 so I went this route. I am satisfied and will give details when it back up and running.

System Name PCGR
Processor 12400f
Motherboard Asus ROG STRIX B660-I
Cooling Stock Intel Cooler
Memory 2x16GB DDR5 5600 Corsair
Video Card(s) Dell RTX 3080
Storage 1x 512GB Mmoment PCIe 3 NVME 1x 2TB Corsair S70
Display(s) LG 32" 1440p
Case Phanteks Evolve itx
Audio Device(s) Onboard
Power Supply 750W Cooler Master sfx
Software Windows 11
Please post pictures and any of the sort when you are finished. My T3500 is still going strong with the GTX 970 in it. Was playing Resident Evil 3 Remake on high details at 1080p and it ran smooth.

System Name T5400
Processor 2x Xeon E5420
Motherboard DELL 0RW203
Memory 32GB DDR 667
Video Card(s) GTX 1050Ti 4GB
Display(s) Iiyama 24"
Software W10 PRO
Hi Everyone :)

First of all, greetings from Poland. Found this forum, and I`m very glad about it :)

Quick specs of my T5400:

t5400.JPG

How far can I go with upgrade on it ? Or it`s maximum of what I can get from it ? Already have 2xCPUs :)

TIA for tips :D

BR,

BartPC24

System Name T5400
Processor 2x Xeon E5420
Motherboard DELL 0RW203
Memory 32GB DDR 667
Display(s) Iiyama 24"
Software W10 PRO
Greetings! Seems like the e5450 and x5460 are both upgrade candidates that would give you a noticeable boost:

You would just have to watch out for the heat of the 120w x5460 as you may need a new heatsink.

On the other hand, thinking about buying something similar to HP Z420 from DELL, as it costs around $300 with following specs:

Intel Xeon E5-1603 max. 2,8 GHz
32GB DDR3
SSD 120 Gb + HDD 500 GB
DVD-RW
Nvidia Quadro FX580 - 512Mb DDR3 - DisplayPort+DVI
Gigabit LAN 10 / 100 / 1000 Mbit/s,
Integrated audio ;)
W10 Home 64bit

I`d change that Quadro for 1050Ti currently owned.

Which way is better ? X5460 will cost $22 per piece.

TIA for response

BR,

BartPC24

1587463340882.png

Is it normal ?! I`ve re-applied new thermal paste like 2-3 days ago, yet these temps frightens me a bit ;) I know that they can heat up max to 125 degrees Celsius, but isn`t it too high anyway ?

I found that most built in sensors do not respond well to speed fan. I always believed in the overclocking software as a good monitor for temps. Tho does your computer step the cpu down? Second if not then your can be at least rest easy that it not to hot. I can go in depth about the thermal dynamics of cooling a pc but for me I used a negative pressure scream basically meaning you suck out the heat and cold will replace it from high pressure to low pressure much like our weather. Hope this helps now maybe other people cool in different methods that just the one I like to use.

System Name T5400
Processor 2x Xeon E5420
Motherboard DELL 0RW203
Memory 32GB DDR 667
Display(s) Iiyama 24"
Software W10 PRO
I found that most built in sensors do not respond well to speed fan. I always believed in the overclocking software as a good monitor for temps. Tho does your computer step the cpu down? Second if not then your can be at least rest easy that it not to hot. I can go in depth about the thermal dynamics of cooling a pc but for me I used a negative pressure scream basically meaning you suck out the heat and cold will replace it from high pressure to low pressure much like our weather. Hope this helps now maybe other people cool in different methods that just the one I like to use.

Thing is I`ve downloaded a set of special instructions for designated mobo from SpeedFan website, so it`s not like the usual way of using generic values of various sensors. This set is especially designed for Precision 490/690 or T5400 mobo`s - therefore I feel they`re as much accurate readings as they possibly could ;) - correct me if I`m wrong :)

If someone`s interested, here`s a link that`ll work with Dell Precision 490/690 and T5xxx series mobo:

Select Precision 690 and follow onscreen instructions :)

BR,

BartPC24

On the other hand, thinking about buying something similar to HP Z420 from DELL, as it costs around $300 with following specs:

32GB DDR3
SSD 120 Gb + HDD 500 GB
DVD-RW
Integrated audio ;)
W10 Home 64bit

TIA for response

BR,

BartPC24

View attachment 152241

Is it normal ?! I`ve re-applied new thermal paste like 2-3 days ago, yet these temps frightens me a bit ;) I know that they can heat up max to 125 degrees Celsius, but isn`t it too high anyway ?
I actually have a z420. :D It's a nice box and moves you up a couple of levels in terms of processor generations but the performance won't be as great unless you step up to an 8 core processor since you have duals now.

The good thing is that even though the specs for the z420 say ecc udimms, it can definitely take RDIMMs and LRDIMMs as I have 256GB of LRDIMMs in mine. :D Mine also has the 600w power supply so I have a nice big beefy gpu of yesteryear in there. I haven't yet started to use it as a vm machine, but I feel pretty confident it will be pretty decent in that capacity.

You Dell is in the same league as my poweredge 2950 servers, and they've got a decent amount of power and use a decent amount of power too. I'm not sure if power is a consideration, but the z420 will be more efficient in that area. Personally, I always go the cheapest route with upgrades and try to max things out before moving on so I would do the processor upgrades and see how you like them. Worse case, if you still want to get a z420, and it will hopefully be even cheaper.

32GB DDR3
SSD 120 Gb + HDD 500 GB
DVD-RW
Integrated audio ;)
W10 Home 64bit

TIA for response

BR,

BartPC24

View attachment 152241

LGA 775 / 771 system cpu lacks AES instruction set.

If one can afford it is always advisable to upgrade to something newer ....... But it dependents on your requirement ............. you will be upgrading only if you have specific requirement ........ not for just getting higher score in synthetic benchmark. Depends upon the applications (both productivity and/or gaming, (if at all you are in gaming)) used by you ......